Chapter 3

The Pearl and the Knight

 

A week after, it was swim meet day and Shownu was pumped with Hyungwon far from his mind. He was having lunch with everyone when Minhyuk came by giving the latest gossip.

“You guys hear? The sophomore kid whose backpack was stolen two days ago was given a stack of coloring books in his locker this morning,” Minhyuk said before taking a bite of his food.

 

“Well that’s lame,” Jooheon said. “I would’ve been pissed.”

 

“Oh yeah he was,”Minhyuk snickered. “But the guy had it coming, he hangs with Hyunsoo.”

 

“Hyunsoo and his crew are a bunch of jerks,” Kihyun said.

 

Hyunsoo was the school’s known senior bully that ran with crew of five. He skipped out a lot from school but kept quiet when he actually did show up. Teachers usually thought he was misunderstood needed a push here and there.

 

Students however knew the real story of Hyunsoo who got his way. Sold illegal stuff, hustling money, or stealing. He could have a record, if he was ever caught though. There was even a rumor how he could leave kids no other choice but to transfer schools or end up in the hospitals.

 

“So this would be kind of connected to the junior who was water bombed with white paint the day before that?” Wonho excitedly. “About time they were taught a lesson.”

 

Shownu stopped in mid-chew. Wasn’t the same day he ate with Hyungwon?

 

“Hyunsoo wouldn't take this lying down though right?” Jooheon said poking at his food thoughtfully. “Heard they’re a tough crew to mess with.”

 

“Tough or not, they do have a lot of enemies,” Minhyuk said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried something at the swimming competition.”

 

“What do you mean?”Shownu asked with all seriousness.

 

“I'm talking about one of the seniors on your team,” Minhyuk said. “Dongyeol, I think.”

 

Dongyeol was one the best swimmers even though he was rough around the edges. That didn’t mean he should be taken out of the competition though.

 

Game time came and Dongyeol was nowhere to be seen. Shownu was starting to believe his friends were right until the last minute the senior did show. He was told he was going to get scolded later but to hurry up and change. Before they left the locker room, Shownu took note Dongyeol had new pair of swimming shorts.

 

Announcements were being made as both teams stood before the crowd and the pool. Shownu took the time to look for his friends and soon found Kihyun with a video camera and Minhyuk waving like crazy in the stands. What he also perceived there was more people than usual.

 

For once and unmistakably, Hyunsoo was in the crowd and four of his posse, including one with brown white splatted hair. Normally the gang leader didn't look intimidating but when he was mad he had a face of a murderer which seem to be close to hitting home right now. The other people that caught his eye was more girls than usual who didn't really seem to be focused on the swimmers but more to somewhere else. That somewhere else was seated close to the front with his handsome features and was accompanied by a bored looking boy that didn't seem familiar.

 

The talking soon stopped and the races began. Shownu geared himself up and set his mind on the game. It was no use to be worrying about something that might or might not happen. Hopefully if anything did occur, it wouldn't be too explosive.

 

The games went smoothly and Shownu's turn came.

Get ready....

Heart hammering he snapped on his swimmer goggles and positioned himself properly on the platform.

Get set....

He took a deep breath and cleared his mind as best as he could.

...GO!

 

The signal for the race went off and everyone launch themselves into the water. When Shownu dove though, Hyungwon's face flashed in his mind. A split second later in the water, Shownu felt as if he was swimming for something. Not for the goal and nor the will to win, but saving someone. The same sinking golden pearl he saved two weeks before. He didn't understand himself why he thinking about it now. In the end he won his race.

 

Dongyeol was up and now the last part of the game. His manner seemed cocky as he got onto the diving dock. Most of the audience seemed to be focused since it the finale one. Everyone mounted and then dove as the signal went off once more.

 

The whole race went as normal as all the swimmers completed their laps. The senior received first. People cheered and all eyes were on him while he pulled out himself out of the pool. Right then, the new swimming shorts he had received sort of ripped and slipped off.

   

The swimmer tried and failed miserably trying to grab his shorts as it plopped back into the pool. Seeing no other option he covered his junk and ran trying to look for a towel. Time almost stood still for the whole crowd went quiet and some girls screamed. An uproar of laughter and commotion broke out in its place, the staff with the starter blowing his whistle trying to keep order.

 

With all this going on, Shownu an inkling on what had happened and looked at down in front of bleachers again. The Lonely Prince had a satisfied smile on his face and the boy next to him rolled his eyes. Eventually it led to the boy making eye contact with Shownu, and he smirked. Then he leaned over and whispered to Hyungwon who looked at Shownu and gave a friendly wave. People started to get up and leave since the game was over. When giving a double take at the spot, the two were gone.

 

After the game and debriefing from the coach, everyone was allowed to leave the locker room. What the word was, Dongyeol had recently lost his old shorts and his girlfriend had been given him new ones. The shorts were from her locker that she graciously and coincidentally had received at the last minute. Shownu left to meet up with his friends, thinking about the turn of events.

   

They met up in the usual place by the big trash dumpster that was surrounded by brick walls. It was dark out since the swim meet ended late and Shownu could barely make out the two if not from the lights from the dim school lights.

 

“That was crazy,” cried Minhyuk moving around excitedly, but then noticed there was barely any people around and he was being noise at night so he switched to cheering quietly.

 

“My eyes burn,” Kihyun sniffled holding up his video camera and made a gagging sound.

“Why did I record the end races as well?!”

       

Shownu let a laugh and relayed what he knew.

 

"Wait, so maybe it was all an accident?" Minhyuk ask in a low tones.

"No you dummy, the most suspicious is where she got the shorts from," Kihyun whispered back.

"Why are we dawdling here in the dark anyways?! Let's go back to my house!"

 

There was silence and small giggles from each of them until they heard a loud bang and crash of things on the other side of the dumpster. Out of surprise, they crouched down and stayed quiet.

"Dammit!" A voice yelled a gravelly voice.

 

"Calm down there Dongyeol," said a voice.

"Yeah, wipe up your snot, we got better things to worry about," said another.

 

A more chilling voice serious voice was heard "Someone is jacking with us, any ideas?"

The discussion was up and everyone talked at once.

 

“The other school we messed with a month ago? Those preps always think they’re all that.”

 

“We would’ve noticed a person who wasn’t from our school walking around.”

 

“That one kid with money? He could've hired a hitman."

 

"We would be dead right now stupid."

 

There seemed to be an argument breaking out now. Another loud bang to the dumpster made everyone quiet.

 

"What I think," came the serious voice. "It is someone more recent. Maybe around the time this old man over here got his white hair."

There was snickers but also gears were turning.

 

"How about the Lonely Prince?" Someone said carefully.

“He usually doesn't show up to these kinds of swimming competitions. Why would he come now? It couldn't be a coincidence."

 

More silence came.

 

The chilled voice was back but a little bit of spite mixed in.

"Let's say you're right. I also have a theory of other little s who would be more likely doing this. We go after them first and if we're wrong, we'll go Prince hunting. Time to put everyone in their place."

 

Shownu's throat went dry as the bullies decided where to eat out.

 

The trio waited until they were pretty sure the gang had left to get up from their hiding spot. Kihyun stood up and nearly fell over if he didn't grab onto Minhyuk.

“I think my legs are numb from crouching too long," he grumbled.

 

The feeling of a little fear started to kick in.

 

"Hyunsoo's going on a killing spree!" Minhyuk cried. “Also,I wonder what the Lonely Prince did to get under the radar.”

 

Shownu tried to keep calm himself.

"This is no time to panic." He said out loud but wasn't really sure what to do either.

 

"Well I think we should at least tell someone," Kihyun suggested.

 

"Minhyuk you've got a bunch of contacts. Try getting the word out.”

“I guess I could do an anonymous tip to anyone who won't think it's spam. Ugh, there really isn't much we could do!"

 

Minhyuk got out his phone and started texting. Shownu and Kihyun decided to rewatch races to shake off the ominous feeling of impending doom.

"Wow you really killed it," Kihyun said proudly patting one of Shownu’s beefy shoulders. However, the swimmer wasn't really focused on the video but more concerned with the person he was sure was behind the pranks.

 

***

A/N: Hey everyone~   sorry if this chapter is a bit longer than the other two, or maybe it's just me. Thank you for subscribing ;A; ♥♥♥♥

Also Hero comeback!!! XnX I wasn't prepared for dark hair Hyungwon