Chapter 1

The Pearl and the Knight

Shownu emptied his lungs out as he felt himself sinking deeper into the water. He liked to do this from time to time. Spread out like a starfish with eyes closed and meditate at the bottom of the pool. These usually helped at most before swim meets to calm his nerves.

 

After a minute, he heard something similar to a splash. Popping his eyes opened in wonder, a somewhat large shape came toward him. He squinted, trying to make out what it was through his goggles. Blinking a little he realized someone thrashing in the water.

 

The swimmer got up quickly as he could and swam upwards in the ten feet section of pool. The victim was a boy fully clothed and had shining blond hair. For a fleeting moment, the hair color reminded of him of a similar color on a light golden pearl he once found sinking in a public pool. A beautiful thing, but lost and alone.

    

Shownu tightly grabbed onto a slim flailing arm and slung over his own shoulders. It was somewhat difficult since the person kept panicking, but eventually they made it to the surface. The boy gasped for air, going on to coughing and sputtering. The pool place was empty just as it was before Shownu had went under. Not really a surprise considering it was already late after school and swimming practice was over. They swam to the shallow end where both of them could stand but still stuck together for support.

 

"You okay?" Shownu asked as he whipped off his swimming goggles with a free hand to see properly.

 

The other was breathing hard now but managed to nod vigorously and brushed the blond bangs from his eyes with a free arm. Shownu was kind of taken aback when seeing the guy's face. A pretty boy: slim delicate features, nice long eyelashes, and plush lips.  Shownu felt his own face heat up a little, being so close to such nice facial features and let the guy go real fast.

 

A good thing they were close to the edge so the slim one could fall forward onto his hands. He seemed to not notice Shownu had panicked. Feeling a little relieved and apologetic, the swimmer got out and lent a hand to the other.

 

"Thanks for the save," the boy finally said after getting completely out of the water and rolling flat onto his back.

"Maybe you should let me drown next time."

 

Shownu halted in his tracks as he was straightening himself out. There was a heavy pause that it seemed to even squeeze his heart.

 

“I'm joking,” the boy laughed.

 

"Oh," Shownu said with a small voice and laughed along half-heartedly.

The swimmer went to the locker room to fetch some clean towels. He returned buzzing with questions but only coming back to an empty wet spot. Shownu rushed out of the pool area to search the most likely places he could think of.  To no avail of finding anyone and leaving him scratching his head in confusion.

 

Hyungwon, was the person’s name. Shownu found out the next day when the disappearing person walked into the same classroom with light golden blond hair and all. The girls in the class would call out and say hi to him. He heard of the name multiple times in gossips but he never really paid attention. The other name he was also referred to was Lonely Prince but he forgot why.

 

The rest of the day Shownu started to feel a little bad since they had some classes together. He had a defense for this though. Hyungwon usually had the seat in back, either taking naps, disappeared during breaks, or have girls drop by his desk asking some class questions. Shownu wanted ask if the guy was okay from yesterday incident but never got an opportunity too.

 

"Earth to robot Shownu?" Kihyun called waving a hand in front Shownu's face. The person in question blinked in confusion, but then remembered he was eating lunch with his friends.

 

“Usually you would've gone up for seconds by now," said his orange haired friend with a frown.  

 

"Ah, it's nothing," Shownu said shrugging.  

 

"Maybe the chlorine finally gotten to him," joked Wonho.

 

Out of the corner of his eye, Shownu observed Hyungwon cross the lunchroom to sit by a window.

 

“Heard the Prince turned down another girl,” Minhyuk said who was looking in the same direction as he sat down with his lunch. "Someone saw him walking to the parking all wet. Confessed by the pool and shoved him in when he denied."

 

"So that's the Lonely Prince?" asked Jooheon.

  

"Oh yeah, junior year pretty and smart boy Hyungwon." Minhyuk said.

"He's your age I think, Jooheon. Getting all the girls and even having his own fanclub since last year when he got into our school."

 

"But why Lonely Prince? I've asked some freshman like me but they they're not sure either."

 

Minhyuk dramatically lowered his voice and leaned forward. “Heard he impregnated girls back in his old schools, played and dumped them.  Seems like he's wants to start fresh and rejects anybody who asks him out.”

"Woah," Jooheon gawked.  

 

Shownu finished his lunch saw a couple of girls approach Hyungwon who was reading.

 

"Well Princie doesn't look like much, I could probably win girls more than he can," Wonho snickered.

 

"Not everyone is a workout maniac like you and no one just only looks at appearances," Kihyun said rolling his eyes.

 

"I agree with Wonho," cackled Minhyuk.

 

The girls were giggling and handed Hyungwon a few juice boxes. Hyungwon said something with a small smile and the girls squealed and rushed off. Shownu averted his eyes and tried to refocus on what other things Minhyuk was rambling about. Jooheon sighed and patted his stomach.

 

“Hey Shownu, do you want some of my food I didn't touch?”

 

“No, I think I’m good,” replied Shownu shaking his head. The whole table went quiet and Minhyuk gasped.

 

“You sure you're feeling well?!" Kihyun asked in a concern.

 

"That's it, we cutting down on your pool time!" Minhyuk cried while shaking Shownu's left shoulder.

 

"The world is ending, great," Wonho sighed. “But I’ll eat that if you’re not.”

 

“No guys, I really am ok" Shownu said nonchalantly. "Maybe it's I'm having an off day?"

    

His “off day” got a little stranger when Shownu went to his locker after lunch. Upon opening his locker there was a tall jar of candies with a nice black ribbon with white polka-dots.  Wonho and Minhyuk who had accompanied him, detected it before he could hide it.

 

“Duuuuuuude!! Why did you bring that to school?!” Minhyuk cried excitement. “No wonder you feeling weird, all that sugar. Can I have one?”

 

“I didn’t bring that school.” Shownu said taking out the jar to examine it. There was no note on it or anything.

“What if someone put this in the wrong locker?”

 

“How the heck could anyone get that in a locked locker anyway?”Wonho said logically but eyeballing the jar with want also. “Could be someone’s shy love confession?”

 

Shownu felt like someone watching them from behind but when he turned around all the students were going about normally. He swore though, he saw a tall blond kid go around a corner. The bell sounded for their next class to start.

 
***
A/N: First chapter posted ^^ I'm so nervous, hehehe. It would be a daily update.