Chapter 2

The Pearl and the Knight

For the next few days, Shownu felt like he was being spied on. Was the stress of swimming getting to him? It couldn’t be, since he should be use to this kind of pressure. He almost caught the person as he was rushing to the vending machines to get some snacks. A meeting with some swimmers dragged on longer than usual. The lunch lines seemed to be now closed and he was starving.

   

The bell rang and he sighed. There was no use in rushing now, at least Wonho had his stuff and could kind of cover for him. Students went to their classrooms as Shownu got chips. A prickling sense of being watched appeared again. He slowly tried to act casual by beginning to open his bag, but quickly darted in the direction his gut told the culprit was.    

 

Sharply turning a corner he nearly ran into the Lonely Prince who had a backpack slung over one shoulder with a package of juice boxes and a plastic bag in his hands.

Shownu scooted around, pardoning himself but then stopped when he became aware the hallway was empty besides the both of them.  The pursuer thought the person had gotten away and let out an annoyed noise.

 

"You were looking for someone?" Hyungwon said as he stood watching. Shownu now realized he must have looked like an idiot.

 

"Ah... I thought...I forgot to do something...and...ah I remembered I already did it?"

 

The blond smiled a bit.

"Whatever you say."

 

As if life wanted to be cruel joke, Shownu's stomach let out a growl. Hyungwon's smile got even playfully wider.

"Are you busy? Want join me for lunch? I have way too much food to eat by myself." He offered.

 

“Uh, yeah sure," Shownu said without really thinking and mentally kicked himself. He was supposed be getting to class.

 

"Cool," said the taller and indicated with his head to follow. They reached an empty lounge area with comfy seats. Hyungwon claimed an armless sofa and patted a spot next to him. Shownu sat down and fully opened his chips while the blond took out what seemed to be a full course meal onto the small low table in front of them.

         

From the backpack: three homemade sandwiches, yogurt, and a thermal came out. The plastic bag was turned out to have a bunch of candies and different types of bread. Shownu couldn’t help but raise his eyebrows while finishing off his chips.

 

"The bag and the juice came from these nice girls. I have told them they don't have too but they still give stuff to me." Hyungwon grabbed a sandwich first, opened the wrap around the juice boxes and gestured to all the food.

"Help yourself."

 

Both were eating sandwiches now in comfortable silence when something occurred to Shownu.

"Wait, aren't you supposed to be in class yourself?"

          

The other stifled a laugh with a hand while chewing his food.

"I just decided to have a break," He replied after swallowing and grabbing the thermal. The smell coming from it reminded Shownu of tea.

"Why are you skipping then?" The blond shot back.

        

"Doing swim stuff and was late to lunch," Shownu said and the other hummed in acknowledgment.

"You don't swim very much do you?" Hoping he didn't seem to be overstepping anything.

 

For a moment Hyungwon's face handsome features seem to twist an anger face but disappeared just as quickly as it appeared. He let out a snort and simply said, "Yeah, I can't swim. You must like the sport a lot."  

        

They made small talk with mostly Shownu chatting happily about it. Somewhere in between they ended up sharing a yogurt with one spoon and Hyungwon feeding them both. Shownu did his best to try preoccupy himself to not stare at the other’s lips when it was his turn to eat. Emptying the yogurt, Hyungwon then grabbed a lollipop from the bag. He asked how their school swimming team was and the competitions worked. The swimmer shared his knowledge graciously as he ate some cream filled bread. After Shownu was mostly got done telling who their stronger swimmers were, there was a vibration from a phone. Hyungwon pulled his out and frowned.

“Looks like I got to go,” The blond said with a sigh and started to clean up.

 

Shownu abandoned some of his bread to help too. While cleaning and without meaning to, the swimmer caught sight of a package of unused water balloons as Hyungwon put away his thermo bottle.

   

The trash was cleaned up in seconds, and they said their goodbyes. Shownu stuffed the rest of the bread in his mouth. About to get up, Hyungwon had made a motion to for him to hold still. The taller one who was standing now leaned over and their faces barely centimeters apart. Shownu felt his face flush.

 

“Consider this lunch some of my gratitude for saving me.”  

Hyungwon reached up with a thumb and brushed some bread filling cream from the side of Shownu’s lips while giving a big smile.

“But of course I probably still have a debt to pay.”

 

Shownu didn’t know what to do or say even though his face was still stuffed.

It was Shownu’s turn to have his phone vibrate. Quickly looking away he pulled it out to see a message.

Did you go to a different city to eat or did you eat a whole city? - ProtectorWonho.

He chewed the rest of the bread and swallowed.

Just got done - he texted back.

Shownu looked up to say something but Hyungwon yet again vanished.

***
A/N: Verge of tears cause I have subs?! Thanks you guys so much!
You can blame a certian someone for the whole cream thing.