vi. school / home

Relationship Goals

Jessica visited Yuri on a weekend to check on her. Part of her felt responsible for what had happened. 

 

“Hi, Yuri.”

Yuri gulped. Her name sounded so nice.

 

“Hi, Sunbae.” She managed to say. Jessica in casual wear was too much for her emotions.

 

Jessica was wearing a white dress with short sleeves. Her hair was donned with a simple headband. Yuri thought that she looked prettier than before.

 

“I’m sorry that our daughter looks weird at the moment, but please make yourself comfortable.” Yuri’s mother said, enough for Yuri to snap back into her senses. She closed her gaping mouth and looked away.

 

Jessica laughed and it sounded like windchimes. Yuri’s heart was beating faster and faster as she heard her coming near.

 

“Mrs. Kwon, I brought something from home. My mom and I made it.”

 

“Aigoo, you shouldn’t have bothered.” Kwon Umma received the pack of foods from the girl. “Thank you, dear.”

 

“I’ll help you with—“

 

The mother shook her head and said, “Instead, can you watch out Yuri for me?”

 

Yuri, still speechless, looked at her mom incredulously. “Umma, I’m not a kid anymore.”

 

Umma Kwon pinched Yuri’s cheek and proceeded to make a feast the family and her visitor.

 

There was a long moment of silence as Jessica took a seat across Yuri’s sofa. Yuri watched as the girl settled comfortably and retrieved her phone from her handbag.

 

Yuri waited for her to speak but she was busy with her phone.

 

Not knowing what to do, Yuri kept mum and kept stealing glances from her crush. Her crush who is currently sitting in front of her. 

 

When Jessica smiled upon seeing something funny on her phone, she heard a sharp inhale from the person across her.

 

“Is there something wrong?” Jessica asked.

 

“N-Nothing!” Yuri looked stupid as soon as their eyes met. It was just that...

 

“Your smile is so pretty...” 

 

Jessica heard Yuri say, and bursted out laughing, catching Yuri off guard.

 

“Thank you.” And she smiled at the latter.

 

“Did I say it out loud?” Yuri panicked and slapped for babbling. “Gosh, Kwon Yuri... keep your thoughts to your self.” 

 

Jessica decided to ignore the question and asked instead, “How is your wound?”

 

“It’s f-fine. Umma helps me clean it and now it’s getting better.” Yuri caught a guilty look on Jessica’s face. “Please don’t b-blame yourself! It was me who was careless...”

 

“But still. You should have let me crash the ground alone.” Jessica reasoned out.

 

“And have me unscathed? I’d rather do it all over again if it happens.” Yuri said, unknowingly making Jessica blush.

 

Jessica coughed awkwardly. “Are you usually this straightforward?”

 

Yuri opened to speak but a voice from the kitchen called, “Lunch’s ready!”

 

To avoid the nerve-wracking atmosphere, Yuri stood up and answered her mom. 

 

“Come on, Sunbae.”

 

“You can call me Jessica.”

 

Yuri swore that she felt electricity run over her body when Jessica said that and touched her good arm.

 

“Ah... uhh... Jes.. Jessica sunbae.”

 

Jessica giggled at the cute act and left Yuri at the living room.

 

Umma Kwon saw the whole thing and smiled to herself knowingly.

 


 

When Jessica left their house before evening, Umma Kwon went to her daughter’s room.

 

“Umma!” Yuri shouted which made the mother jump in surprise.

 

“Stop scaring me like that!” She slapped Yuri’s head lightly. “Now, my dear daughter. Do you have something to tell me?”

 

Yuri tilted her head in confusion. “Like what?”

 

“Like a certain... senior at school?”

 

At the mention of the word ‘senior’, Yuri shook her head in defense. “J-Jessica sunbaenim??? What do I have to say about Jessica sunbaenim??” She laughed nervously. “Well, Jessica sunbaenim kind and n-nice.”

 

“You have to stop saying her name like you have a crush on her.” Umma Kwon teased. 

 

“But I—!” 

 

Umma Kwon shushed her daughter with a finger and patted her head. “My dear Yuri, you know that I love you so much. Whatever happens, you are still my daughter.”

 

Yuri basked in her mother’s hug. 

 

“Thank you, Umma.” Yuri smiled, feeling the comfort of her mother.

 

“Now!” Umma Kwon broke the hug and looked at Yuri. “What’s got our Yuri-ah take a liking on this girl?”

 

“Umma~” Yuri groaned as she felt that she will be teased throughout the week.

 

“Come on, tell me.”

 

Yuri’s phone beeped. It was from Jessica.

 

“H-How did she...”

 

“She asked me for your number so I gave it.” Umma Kwon winked and walked towards the door. 

 

“Umma.” 

 

“Yes, dear?”

 

“I like her because... she’s going to be your future daugher-in-law.”

 

Umma Kwon laughed loudly at her daughter. “I’d like to see you try!”

 

Once Umma Kwon went out of her room, she read the text message from her crush.

 

From: xxx-xxxx-xxxx

Hi, Yuri! This Jessica.

You haven’t answered my question earlier.

Anyways, thank you for your hospitality. I hope you get well sooner.

 

See you tomorrow!

 

“SEE YOU TOMORROW, JESSICA SUNBAENIM!”