v. school (part 1)

Relationship Goals

Jessica was Yuri's senior back in high school. The younger one admired her since 2nd year when she first saw Jessica after her classes.

Since their class schedules were different, Yuri seldom saw her crush. She managed to catch a glimpse of Jessica every break time, be it at the school cafeteria or school library. Sometimes, she saw her dozing off while reading a book. And most of the time, she noticed her staring blankly out of nowhere.

And when Yuri saw her smile while talking with a friend, it made her feel like she was seeing fireworks for the first time.

 

There was also that moment when they were having a campus-wide sportsfest which involved all of the students to participate for 3 consecutive days.

And it was 3 consecutive days for Yuri to see Jessica.

Yuri noticed that Jessica was always with that friend, and she was intimidated that they were speaking in English.

"Wow. She must be from America." Yuri thought as she was behind the bleachers, performing a warm-up with her team. "But her voice sounds... nice. As nice as her smile."

"Kwon Yuri! Listen up!" The coach called her out, making her snap into her senses.

Yuri was in the track and field team. Unbeknownst to her, Jessica was too — but her competitor.

 

*Bang!*

 

The starting pistol fired, and the participants began to run.

16-year-old Yuri pushed herself forward with much speed, focused on wanting to win first prize for her team.

However, 17-year old Jessica won't let her claim it so easily.

"Hey, Kwon!" Jessica called out as soon as she was next to Yuri, still running.

Yuri was shocked in all forms that her crush, sweaty and all, was calling her. "How did she know my name?!"

Jessica smiled and laughed at the young one, who is struggling to look ahead of her way.

 

Before she could answer, she noticed that Jessica's shoelace was untied and could possibly make an acccident.

Which happened as soon as Jessica made a wrong step.

And in which Yuri launched herself to protect the girl.

A crowd of 'Oh's came from the bleachers and there was a moment of silence as the two competitors crashed the ground.

 

"Yuri!"

"Jessica!"

 

"Ouch..." The younger of the two cried, lying at the field with Jessica slightly on top of her.

Jessica was panting, feeling the pain in her body. When she opened her eyes, she saw Yuri panting, with dirt over her hair and cheeks.

"Kwon." She whispered and tried to get up to help the injured, but she was too weak. She noticed that Yuri had a wound grazing her left arm.

 

"Are you okay, Sunbae?" Yuri whispered back, chuckling weakly. Probably at their pathetic selves.

Jessica felt overwhelmed despite of what had happened. "Are you seriously asking me that? Look at yourself." She felt mad and guilty.

Yuri tried to divert her eyes to Jessica's and smiled assuringly. "A thank you would be nice." Before she fainted on the spot.

"KWON!"

 


 

Yuri's mother kept on sighing as she dressed her daughter's wound. It has been a week since the accident and her mother scolded her for being so selfless to the extent that she was harmed.

"I still cannot believe that you threw yourself to protect a stranger. I am raising a hero." Umma Kwon shook her head, making the final touches for her bandage. Her left arm was still throbbing in pain, but not as worse as before.

"She's not a stranger, Umma. She's my senior." Yuri mumbled, trying to hide the blush from her cheeks as she reminisced the moment. She sulked deeper into the sofa of their living room.

Mothers know best, as Umma Kwon rolled her eyes and slapped the bandage lightly, earning a groan from her lovestruck daughter. "Stupid Yuri. What do you want for lunch?"

It was Sunday afternoon. And it also meant one thing.

The door bell rang.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Kwon." A small voice was heard from the front door.

"Ah, welcome to our house. Miss... Jessica, am I right?"

Yuri snapped her attention towards the visitor. She saw Jessica bowing her head at her mother, then she turned to look at her.

 

”Hi, Yuri.” 

Yuri gulped. Her name sounded so nice.