"I'm not gay... I just like a guy named Eric Mun" - Hyesung's POV

Love From Beginning

Hyesung’s class ended earlier than usual and he thanked God for it because throughout the class, he couldn’t even focused. Maybe because what his friends told him about Eric and it made him think about it. He didn’t understand himself why he didn’t know what his feelings were towards Eric. All he knew was it was a complicated feelings that he can’t explain. He was so into his thoughts until someone patted his back. He thought it was Eric, so he turned around and looked at the person eagerly but when he saw it was actually Kangta, he returned to his normal self.

‘Oh, it’s you Kangta’ Hyesung mumbled.

‘Why? Are you waiting for someone else?’ Kangta pouted.

‘No… Anyway, what’s up?’ Hyesung gave him a smile, feeling guilty.

‘Are you busy right now? I want to talk to you about something’ he said seriously.

‘No, I’m just walking back home. Class ended early. What did you want to talk about?’ he asked.

‘Can we go somewhere secluded?’ he cautiously asked.

Hyesung looked around to find a place, ‘We can sit over there if you want’ he suggested.

‘Okay’ he nodded and together, they started walking there.

‘So, is there anything wrong?’ Hyesung looked at him with a smile.

‘Well… It’s not a problem, but more to telling you something’

‘What is it?’

‘Can we sit there?’ Kangta pointed towards a bench near them.

‘Sure’ he absently nodded his head.

‘Hyesung, do you have anyone in your mind right now?’ Kangta asked while looking nervously at Hyesung.

Hyesung kept quiet for awhile before nodding slowly, ‘Yeah, I do…’

‘Really? How long have you’ve been together?’ Kangta was more than surprised by Hyesung’s answer.

Hyesung widen his eyes and quickly shook his hands, ‘I mean, I’m having problems with someone right now. Not that I’m in a relationship with someone’ he explained and it made Kangta sighed in relieved.

‘Then, do you like anyone currently?’

Suddenly, Hyesung stomped his feet and scratched his head in frustrations, ‘Why the hell are people talking about feelings?!’

‘Are you okay, Hyesung..?’ Kangta asked with concern and continued, ‘Did someone asked you the same question..?’

Hyesung regained his conscious and later gave him a smile, ‘No, it’s just that I’ve been hearing about that topic these days’ he lied.

‘Hyesung-ah, we’ve been friends since the first day of college and you have been a great friend to me. I remember that you gave me confidence when I was a timid guy during the first year and because of you, I gained confidence and became the student’s president. At first I didn’t realised the feelings that I’ve been feelings but when I get to know more about you and how you like to help people without expecting a reward, I know that I’ve fallen for you. I know that this is more than friends feelings especially when I get jealous seeing you hanging out with other people specifically with that Eric guy’ he confessed.

‘W-What..?’ Hyesung was unable to digest what Kangta just said.

‘I-I like you, Hyesung’ Kangta shyly confessed again.

‘Oh…’ was Hyesung’s only reply because he didn’t know what else to say.

The atmosphere became awkward and slightly tensed because neither of them wanted to break the ice. So, finally Hyesung started the paused conversation.

‘Why did you say you’re jealous of me hanging out with Eric?’

The one thing on his mind was Eric. And the fact that Kangta just said that he was jealous made Hyesung wanted to know more about it as well as identifying his own feelings towards the older guy.

‘I don’t know. Whenever I see you guys together, there’s this strong chemistry between you guys that is hard to break it. It made me so jealous’ Kangta muttered softly.

Hyesung just nodded while thinking about Kangta’s words. It was true that whenever he was with Eric, he felt this instant connection that you can talk to him about anything at random times. Even though he has his own life with great friends and family, but when Eric is around him, he is more happy and content. As if his life is completed.

‘How do you feel about him?’ Kangta suddenly asked when he saw Hyesung was in deep thoughts.

‘About who? Eric?’ Kangta nodded.

‘Hmm…’

Hyesung hesitated to answer seeing that Kangta just confessed his feelings to him.

‘It’s okay. Just tell me the truth’ Kangta seemed to understand the situation.

‘Are you sure you’re okay with it?’ Hyesung asked for confirmation.

‘Absolutely’ he gave a faint smile.

‘Honestly, up until now, I don’t know. I don’t know if it’s a friendship or more than that. But I don’t hate because I actually feel quite pleasant about it. When I’m with Eric, I feel like I belonged and appreciated. You know the feelings when you feel like you need some alone time but at the same time, you need someone by your side because they are apart of your personal space. Yeah, that’s how I feel when I’m with him. I still have my own life when he’s not around me but I have this sense where his presence is always with me wherever I go’

Kangta just chuckled sadly and took all his courage to give a smile at Hyesung, ‘Hyesung-ah, that means you like Eric. No, you LOVE him. The reason why you don’t feel like how the books and movies describe love is because you guys have known each other for a long time and you both know what you have is more than friends from the beginning. It’s just that you are waiting to become official’ Kangta explained.

Hyesung’s widen his eyes in surprise because finally, what Kangta said made sense.

‘Kangta-ah, I’m sorry… But…’

‘It’s okay, I understand... Just go after him now’ Kangta interrupted him by saying encouraging words.

‘Thanks, Kangta’ Hyesung stood up and smiled brightly at him.

Before he went and looked for Eric, he told Kangta, ‘I’m sure you’ll find the right one’ he smiled before running off.

‘It would take some time…’ Kangta muttered sadly.

Hyesung finally knew what his feelings were and he started running trying to find Eric. Suddenly, everything made sense to him and he didn’t know why he was so dumb to notice what Eric said a week ago.

‘Minwoo!’ Hyesung called the said guy from far.

Minwoo was stunned by the call and he looked around to see who called him. A smile crept on his face when he saw Hyesung running towards him.

‘Hyesung-ah~’ he chirped happily while waving his hands.

‘Where’s Eric?’ Hyesung asked straight to the point.

‘Oh… He’s not here’ Minwoo smiled awkwardly.

‘Where did he go?’ he blinked his eyes in confusion.

‘He… Hmm… He has a blind date..?’ Minwoo hesitantly broke the news.

‘He actually went?’

It was a lie if Hyesung said he didn’t feel hurt or sad when he heard that. But he knew it was his fault for not realising his feelings earlier.

‘Oh…’ he nodded absentmindedly.

‘Have you figure out your feelings?’ Minwoo asked as he noticed the expression on Hyesung’s face.

‘You knew?’

‘Everyone knew, Hyesung’ Minwoo smiled.

‘I’m too dumb then…’ he sighed sadly.

‘Yah, it’s not too late! You can still tell Eric how you feel’ Minwoo said in encouragement and patted Hyesung’s back.

‘How?’

Minwoo shrugged his shoulder, ‘I don’t know. By stopping the blind date, I guess’

‘Really? Don’t you think Eric would get mad about it?’ he asked nervously even though it was the only thing he wanted to do now.

‘Of course not! He would be happy if someone pulls him away from the date. Especially if it’s you’ Minwoo winked.

‘Then, why did he go?’

Minwoo scoffed loudly, ‘Because he’s an idiot. That’s why!’

‘I’m going now, Minwoo. Thanks for the help!’ Hyesung said as he started running.

‘Alright! I’ll text you the address’ Minwoo yelled as Hyesung was far away from him.

Aroma Café…

‘Ugh, I just want to get out from here’ Eric hissed under his breath when he entered the café. Since he was just from the college, he didn’t have time to change into more appreciate clothes for dates. But even if he did, he won’t change. His eyes wandered around the café to look for his date and he knew her face because his parents showed him a picture of the girl.

‘Eric-sshi!’ someone called him when he went towards the cashier to make an order.

‘Oh, hello~’ he bowed politely when his date waved hi to him.

‘I’m going to wait for you there okay’ she said with a friendly tone while pointing towards a table.

‘Oh okay’ he nodded.

After he placed an order, he walked towards the respective table and sat across her.

‘I’m Jung Youngmi. Nice to meet you~’ she introduced herself with a smile.

‘I’m Eric Mun. Nice to meet you’ he said politely.

‘So, I heard that you study at Shinhwa College. What course are you doing?’ she started the conversation.

‘Photography. What about you?’

‘I’m doing fashion. It’s really fun! Well even though, it’s quite complicated but I enjoy it so far…’

‘I see, I’m glad that you like it…’

Eric’s mind was blank because he didn’t know what else to say. All he can think of he wanted to just go back home and sleep. But other side of his mind was thinking about a certain brunette.

Eric : I wonder what he is doing right now…

Around Aroma Café…

Soon after Hyesung received Eric’s location from Minwoo, the brunette immediately went to the said café by cab. But as soon as he wanted to push the door, he stopped himself.

‘Oh , I’m nervous!’ Hyesung held his breath.

Hyesung started contemplating if he really should go inside and talk to Eric for the first time since the incident. He took a few deep breath and walked inside but failed as he quickly ran away. He started jumping and singing like a mad man while ignoring the weird glances from people. Finally, after what it seemed like 10 years, he went inside. He looked around and saw a guy and a girl were talking but it was more to the girl who talked. The guy looked anxious and uncomfortable as if he was trying to get out from the situation. Hyesung took all of his courage and went up to them.

‘E-Eric?!’ Hyesung pretended to look surprise as if it was just a coincidence.

Eric’s face turned pale, ‘Hyesung-ah…’ he didn’t know how to react when he saw Hyesung there.

‘What are you doing here? I thought we’re going to meet at Beans Cafe’ he asked in disbelieve.

‘Really?’ Eric was confused by his words.

‘Yeah! I asked for your help with my assignments, remember? And you said you’ll be meeting me at Beans Café. I called Minwoo and he said you got the wrong café. So here I am, wanting to pick you up to go to Beans’ Hyesung rambled on about his lie.

Hyesung pretended to notice the girl who looked fluster and smiled gently at her, ‘Who are you? Are you Eric’s friend?’

The girl was too confused and she decided just to keep quiet.

‘Ah, you’re that shy girl Eric was talking about…’ Hyesung snapped his fingers.

‘I’m so sorry but disturbing but Eric has to leave now. We have an important assignment to submit tomorrow and this idiot right here forgot to write his part’ Hyesung looked apologetically at the girl and held Eric’s wrist making the older guy stood up.

‘Yah, we are already late! Let’s go now…’ Hyesung glared at him and dragged him out from the café quickly.

As soon as they got out from there, Hyesung laughed out loud, ‘Was my acting good? I knew I should be an actor’ he said proudly.

Eric was still confused just agreed, ‘Yeah… But, what are you doing here, Hyesung?’

‘Minwoo said that you don’t want to go, so I saved you’ he grinned brightly.

‘Oh…’ he nodded.

‘Have you eaten? Can you accompany me to eat somewhere? I’m starving’ Hyesung asked.

‘Sure, where do you want to eat?’ Eric finally looked at Hyesung into his eyes.

‘I feel like eating ramen’

Eric nodded, ‘I know just the place’

‘Can I please have seafood ramen?’ Hyesung said as the lady took the order.

‘Beef for me please’ Eric ordered.

Hyesung noticed that Eric was in deep thoughts, so he slap Eric’s hand gently, ‘Yah, are you okay? Did I do wrong just now? For disturbing your date…’ Hyesung pouted.

Eric’s eyes widen and quickly shook his hands, ‘No! It’s just that… Ah, nothing’ he smiled.

Hyesung sighed, ‘Eric-ah, I know what you’re thinking. But can we please have fun for today? I’ll talk about it with you tomorrow. Seriously, I promise’ Hyesung pleaded. He needed to talk to Eric in private about their feelings.

Eric nodded in understanding, ‘Okay, I’ll wait’ he finally smiled.

The whole day spent well for both of them even though at first, there was a slight awkward and tension due to them not talking to each other at all. But at the end of the day, they became close like they used to. Even closer.

Next day…

‘Where is he?’ Hyesung took a glance at his watch. He texted Eric to tell him to meet him at the field after lunch.

‘Hyesung-ah!’ Eric called as he ran towards the younger guy.

He took a few deep breaths before sitting beside Hyesung, ‘Yah, why did you tell me to come here? It’s freaking hot now and the weather is dangerous for you!’ he scolded lightly as the sun was very hot that day.

‘How should I know?! I can’t control the weather’ he protested.

Eric just glared at him without saying anything.

‘Here’ Hyesung handed him a mineral bottle.

‘Thank you~’ Eric smiled and drank the water.

‘So, let’s talk’ Hyesung finally said.

‘Okay, let’s talk’ Eric said with the same tone.

‘But about what?’ Eric blinked his eyes in confusion.

Hyesung sighed heavily, ‘You know what? Let me do the talking. You can just keep quiet’

‘Okay…?’ Eric was still unsure.

‘Remember the talk that we had when you slept at my house… At first, I didn’t understand and when I asked my friends, I still didn’t. But suddenly when someone actually explained to me about the feelings I felt towards you, it became clear. I realised my feelings now. And honestly, I’m starting to like the feelings more now’ Hyesung nervously told him what was inside his heart.

Eric tried to digest his words and later tried to supress a smile, ‘Does that mean..?’

Hyesung shyly nodded, ‘Maybe because we’re closer than we’re supposed to be as friends, it made me didn’t realise those feelings. But yeah, I like you Eric Mun’ he smiled.

Now, Eric couldn’t hide it any longer as he was smiling brightly like a star, ‘Are you serious? You’re not kidding right?’ he asked for confirmation.

‘Why would I lie?’ Hyesung chuckled.

Eric saw the sincerity in Hyesung’s eyes but suddenly, a thought came into his mind that made him scared.

‘But…’ he slowly spoke and continued, ‘What if Kangta said he likes you? Because it’s kinda obvious’ he said nervously.

Hyesung sighed, ‘Eric…’ he stood up to look at the older guy clearly.

‘I’m not gay. It’s just happen that I like someone who is a guy. Even if Kangta or any guy confesses to me, I won’t like them. Do you think that I would step low to say yes to everybody. No, I don’t’ he said firmly.

Eric hung his head in embarrassment. Why would he think like that about Hyesung when he knew he wasn’t like that.

‘Sorry…’ he muttered.

‘Yah, you better listen carefully!’ Hyesung said seriously while pointing his index finger to Eric.

‘From now on, I only like this one person and I would never do anything to hurt him including cheating. And that person is you!’ Hyesung said loudly as he was confident no one is around and after saying that, he became shy and started running away from Eric because of embarrassment.

Eric’s grin couldn’t get wider and when he wanted to hug the younger guy, he already went off. So, Eric chased after him and caught his wrist.

‘Yah, stop running!’ Eric said and continued, ‘Do you really mean what you said?’ he asked again.

Hyesung rolled his eyes, ‘Yes, Eric Mun. I really mean it’

‘Then, I’m not going to cheat on you either. Therefore, I will breakup with Jimin!’ he said determinedly.

‘Wait? What?’ Hyesung looked at him in disbelief.

‘Yup, plus we know the time will come if one of us find someone’ he smiled.

‘Is that okay..? I mean, what about your fans?’ he asked with concern.

‘Don’t worry about them, they will be supportive. They also know that Jimin and I aren’t a real couple’ he assured the younger one.

‘Oh okay then’ Hyesung just nodded as he wasn’t sure about Eric’s words.

On the other hand…

‘Woah, dude… Are you okay?’ Ji Hoon asked when he saw his friend came into the student’s room with a red face.

‘Yeah’ Kangta replied with his eyes close.

Ji Hoon sighed and sat beside him, ‘Hey, what’s wrong?’ Ji Hoon asked again and he saw Kangta’s hands that were clenched tightly.

‘Nothing!’ he hissed.

Kangta never thought that he would witness the things that happened earlier. He was walking to library but used the long route which was passing by the field. Then, he saw Hyesung sitting at the podium and it made him think whether he should say hi or not. But his wish was crushed when he saw Eric was running to his dream guy. He knew he should leave immediately but his body won’t move. To make things worse, he had to listen to what Hyesung declared.

‘From now on, I only like this one person and I would never do anything to hurt him including cheating. And that person is you!’

With that words, Kangta felt his world was crushed.

‘Okay, I’m going to leave you alone but I’ll come back this evening’ Ji Hoon decided to let Kangta has his alone time.

‘Why…’ Kangta questioned and from that moment, it broke him down.

After weekend…

Hyesung was whistling happily when he suddenly noticed Eric’s and Jimin’s fans crowding together at the corridor. And he instantly became curious when he heard something related to Eric.

‘Have you heard? Eric oppa just broke up with Jimin unnie!’ one of the girls said in disbelieved.

‘What?! When?! Why?!’ the taller guy questioned and judging by her look, she looked like she was about to cry.

‘I don’t know. I think they broke up last week on Friday. Someone actually overheard them talking!’

‘Do you know the reason?’

‘Eric oppa said he likes someone and he doesn’t want to make that person feels uncomfortable because he felt like he is cheating on the person even though what he and Jimin unnie had wasn’t real’

The girls groaned in annoyance and sadness until someone said in an angry tone, ‘If I find that girl, just wait and see what I’ll do to her. We’ve been shipping oppa and unnie for years now! And because of that , everything’s ruin!’

Hyesung thought that her friends would stop her but he was dead wrong, ‘Yeah, I agree! Don’t worry, we’ll help you to find the !’ they said with determination.

Hyesung’s face turned pale and his heart was beating fast, so he immediately walked away from there.

‘Ah, Hyesung-ah~’ someone called from behind and when he turned around, he saw Eric was walking towards him.

‘Where are you going?’ Eric asked as he casually put his arms around Hyesung’s neck.

Hyesung smiled awkwardly, ‘To the cafeteria. Want to come?’

‘Of course!’ he smiled widely.

As they were walking, they were stopped by the previous girls and Hyesung tried to hide his surprised face.

‘Oppa~’ they started whining.

‘Did you break up with Jimin unnie?’

Eric smiled and nodded, ‘We were never actually a couple, but yeah’

‘But why?!’ they demanded an explanation.

Eric tightened his embrace on Hyesung’s neck and smiled, ‘Because I like someone and that someone is…’

‘Don’t listen to him! He just ‘broke’ up with Jimin because it’s time for them to focus on their studies’ Hyesung interrupted them by giving a lie and immediately excused themselves saying they have to see a lecturer.

Hyesung walked with a fast pace while dragging Eric along until Eric halted his steps. When Hyesung turned around, he saw sad and hurt look on the older guy’s face.

‘Are you ashamed of me?’ Eric asked.

‘Come, I want to tell you something’ Hyesung smiled faintly and gestured that they talked over lunch.

Hyesung started talking while eating, ‘Eric-ah, I’m serious when I said I like you. But…’ he seemed to hesitate.

‘But?’ Eric raised his eyebrows.

‘I think that your fans aren’t too happy with you breaking up with Jimin’

‘But we’re not even a couple!’ he whined.

‘And that’s why it makes them unhappy’ Hyesung pointed out.

‘Meaning?’ he tilted his head questioning.

‘They wanted you and Jimin to be a thing from the beginning but suddenly, their hope was crushed because you like someone else. Obviously they would be furious!’ Hyesung pointed out.

Eric sighed sadly, ‘You’re right…’

Hyesung looked around them and when no one paid any attention, Hyesung gently put his hand on top of Eric’s, ‘We don’t need the whole world to know about us. Only our friends are enough. Right?’ Hyesung tried to cheer him up.

Eric looked at him for awhile before nodding his head with a smile, ‘Yeah, you’re right’

‘Now, this is Eric that I know!’ Hyesung smiled widely. Eric had to say goodbye when he had class in the evening and he told Hyesung that he will call the younger guy that day. After Hyesung left, he went to look for his friends since he was sure they were still around the campus.

‘Hey, guys…’ Hyesung waved hi and sat at the table they sat.

‘Uuuu, hyung. Where did you go just now? Your class finished 2 hours ago’

Hyesung smiled awkwardly and said, ‘I went to have lunch with Eric’

His friends leaned forward eagerly, ‘Why?’ they asked.

‘Why can’t I?’ Hyesung frowned.

‘Nothing~’ they chirped and Dongwan continued asking, ‘So, did you and Eric are together now?’

Hyesung kept quiet for awhile, ‘Maybe, maybe not’ he shrugged his shoulder.

‘Come on, hyung! We are your friends…’ Junjin exclaimed.

‘Why ask when you already know the answer?’ Hyesung lazily looked at them.

They all gave a sly smile and before they could say anything about Hyesung’s relationship, Hyesung said, ‘Make sure no one knows about this’

‘But why?’ Andy complained.

‘Because Eric’s and Jimin’s fans would think I steal him away from her’

Dongwan scoffed loudly, ‘But they weren’t a real couple in the first place!’

‘Tell that to them. You do not want to know what they said about their OTP broke up’ Hyesung replied.

‘Is it that bad?’ Andy asked in a worried tone.

‘More than worst’ Hyesung rolled his eyes in annoyance.

‘Did Eric hyung know about this?’ Junjin asked.

‘Nope, I’m not planning to tell him. Besides, all of that is just words. They don’t mean much’ Hyesung said lazily.

‘If you say so, Hyesung’ Dongwan said. They were sure that Hyesung was capable enough to handle the situation. Even if he can’t, he would definitely tell them.