Chapter Seven

Codename: Maddie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A boy was running in the forest. Three men were running behind him with guns in their hands. Suddenly he slipped and fell and when he looked back the men were already right behind him pointing their guns at him. They started to move closer to him. The boy was terrified and when one of the men attempted to grab his arm he let his fangs appear. The man jumped away while screaming.

“Shoot that thing!!” .

The others raised their guns while pointing at the young vampire’s head. The boy closed his eyes and waited for his death when a loud roar was heard and a bunch of vampires jumped towards the men. When the boy opened his eyes there was nothing left from the humans.

“Are you alright?” Said a tall man as he approached him.

The boy was still shaking but he managed to speak.

“Y-Yes sir… I’m ok. Thank you so much” He said.

The man helped him stand up and he pat his head with his big hand.

“Don’t be afraid anymore… What’s your name young man?” Asked the guy, who now had a smile on his face.

The young vampire looked at him and replied “I-I’m Zhang Yixing sir.”

“My name is Park Myungsoo” Said the man and gave his hand to the boy.

Yixing opened his eyes and sat on his bed. “I’ll never get used to this dream.” He said and lied again on his bed, trying to go back to sleep. After a few minutes of changing positions he sat on the bed again, only now he knew he wouldn’t sleep any soon. He stood up and walked to the window. It was still night outside so he decided to go for a small walk. He put his shoes on and quickly walked to the door.

The sky was clear and full of stars. The building’s roof was the ideal place to watch the sky, something that Yixing loved to do since he was little. He sat down and stared at the millions of small lights that made the night sky seem so bright. “Are you up there Myungsoo?” said the boy in a desperate tone and the sound of his voice broke the silence.

Two hours later the sky had become a little brighter as the sun was slowly rising. Yixing stood up and quickly headed back inside in order to protect himself from the deadly sunlight. He was on his way to his room when he heard some noise from inside the dispensary. The sound of footsteps grew louder and he quickly hid behind a wall. A few seconds later the door opened and two men walked out. The one was someone he knew well. Doctor Kim Minseok was a healer that often worked with Yixing. They didn’t like each other very much. To tell the truth Kim Minseok didn’t have many friends and he would always sit alone and away from the others.

 Next to Minseok there was another man standing. He was a bit taller with dark hair and big eyes. Yixing hadn’t seen him before, but the man’s appearance screamed trouble and that made the young healer a little worried. The two men shook their hands and parted leaving Yixing totally confused. He had so many questions about who that weird man was and what exactly were these two doing here at this hour? “I’ll be watching you Kim Minseok” said the boy and slowly headed back to his room.

 

 

Her first mission as a Dragonfly was completed and Maddie was satisfied with herself. She had completed all the tasks her superiors had given her and she had also managed to find a way to get blood. After she returned from the city, she watched Junmyeon carefully and she managed to find the fridge he kept the blood at. It was the first time she saw so much blood gathered in one place. At the HIVE the human blood was kept by the noble families and the Founders. Depending on the position they had, every vampire received a different amount. The Healers came first, with the amount of three bottles per month. The Hunters were second with two bottles and last were the Workers with only one bottle. Nobody knew exactly how much blood the nobles had, but the fact that they were so powerful and healthy meant that they had a lot.

Maddie looked at the fridge again. She remembered how many times LuHan passed out right before her eyes. She remembered how many times she and Dana gave their second bottle to him. She remembered all the times she thought of stealing blood bottles for her friend. And now there she was trying to steal a few bottles in order to save herself. She felt angry, this time she was angry with her own kind, especially with the Founders, but now wasn’t the right time to make this kind of thoughts.

“Are you looking for something?” A male voice snapped Maddie out of her thoughts. She quickly turned her head back and saw Junmyeon standing in front of the door. She swallowed her saliva as she tried to think of a good excuse.

“I-I was looking for the… Doctor!” She said and forced a sweet smile.

Junmyeon forced a light smile too and walked a little bit closer to her and said

“You’re standing right in front of him. What is the problem?”

Maddie looked around nervously while trying to think of something to say and a few seconds later she replied. “Headache” she almost screamed. “I have a horrible headache”.

Junmyeon stood in front of her.

“Let me examine you” said the man and took his stethoscope in his hands.

While Junmyeon examined her, Maddie stared at his tools. She had never seen such things before. Vampires don’t get sick very often and when they do they are cured almost immediately. Of course there were healers in the HIVE, but their job was to heal those who were burned by sunlight or by human bullets with UV rays. Things like the stethoscope did not exist at her home…

“I don’t think it’s something serious.” Said Junmyeon and walked towards a cupboard. “Take this pill. It’s a simple painkiller. It will help you.”

Maddie took the pill in her hand and quickly swallowed it. She then thanked Junmyeon and made her way to the door when Junmyeon’s voice was heard.

“Are you sure this is the only reason why you came here?”

Maddie froze in front of the door. Did he find out who she was? Or better, what she was? In a few seconds her heart started pounding fast. She turned to look at the doctor and her eyes met his.

“You’re here to ask the same thing as everyone else, right?” said the man again and stood up.

Maddie looked at him in awe but before she could say anything Junmyeon talked again.

“You want to know why I came to live among humans instead of being with the other vampires. Am I right?”

Well, that was a question Maddie indeed had. She had a traitor right in front of her and she really wanted to know why he had betrayed them. She crossed her arms and tried to look as calm as possible.

“Well… I don’t mean to insult you or anything but you know…I’m not used to sleep somewhere where vampires are close by.”

Junmyeon lowered his eyes and crossed his arms as well.

“I’m not a threat. Not for you or anyone else in here. My job is to cure not to kill.” 

“Why did you betray your own kind?” Maddie’s voice was heard and Junmyeon raised his head.

“I never betrayed them. The fact that I left the HIVE doesn’t mean I betrayed my kind. The Founders crossed the line.” Said the doctor in a strange, but calm way.

"Don’t you believe that the humans… I mean we deserved this? Our kind killed the vampires when we had the upper hand.” Said Maddie and her words left Junmyeon speechless. A few minutes passed in an awkward silence until the doctor talked again.

“You actually believe these things? I don’t think you know the exact story dear. Besides you weren’t even

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter