Chapter Thirteen

Codename: Maddie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two days had passed since Maddie’s panic attack and she felt a lot better, but even now Jongin wouldn’t leave her alone for too long. That morning he went to her room and they went together to the gym.

“I’ve been here for two months, you know. I can go to places by myself.” Said she while looking at Jongin with a small smile on her face.

“After what I saw the other day? Nu-uh I don’t think I can leave you alone.” Said he and nudged her playfully.

“I told you it’s not something to worry about. I have everything under control.”

A loud laugh escaped Jongin’s mouth and no matter how hard he tried to hold it back it seemed to be impossible.

“Yes, yes. I’m sure of that.” He said in between laughing and walked faster leaving Maddie walking behind him speechless. Suddenly, he felt a pinch on his back and in a blink of an eye he saw the girl running in front of him.

“You wanna see how well I am? I bet I can reach the gym before you.” Said she in a playful way while running forward.

“Oh, yeah? We’ll see about that!” yelled Jongin and began running as well.

They ran through the crowded corridors, Maddie always being ahead of him but not too far as she tried to hold her super speed back. They passed by the refectory and the infirmary until the gym’s large door finally came in sight. That was when she heard Jongin’s steps quicken from behind and the boy almost made it to get ahead of her, but she wouldn’t let him win so easily. She quickened her steps too and that meant the end of the race for Jongin. Maddie was the one who rushed in the room first with the boy being right behind her.

“Wow… you’re fast Jiann.” Said he while trying to catch his breath.

“Or maybe you are too slow Jongin.” Replied Maddie and let a girly laugh escape .

“Jongin, did you just lose to a girl?” A familiar loud voice made both Maddie and Jongin turn behind them. There was Baekhyun, Jongdae and Tao standing the one next to the other holding a silver stick each.

“I actually let her win, Baekhyun!” Yelled Jongin, but received a loud laugh from Baekhyun as an answer.

“Hahaha. Whatever you say.”

An awkward silence spread between them, but it lasted only for a few seconds.

“Soooo you seem to get along pretty well with Jiann.” Said Baekhyun with a playful smile on his face, but he received a slap on the back of his head from Tao.

“Yah! What did I do now?” yelled the boy and put his hand on his hurt head.

“You’re being stupid.” Tao responded in a calm way. Then he approached Maddie, his stare cold as ice. “If you’re done playing around maybe you could start training. Let’s go.” He pulled her by her arm and she followed without resistance, even though she was boiling with anger inside.

“Calm down man. We didn’t do anything wrong.” Said Jongin, trying to defend her. Tao turned his face towards his brother and pierced him with an angry glare.

“You’re both soldiers. Am I wrong? Like it or not we’re in the middle of war and there’s no time for playing around.”

“Yes, but-“the boy didn’t manage to finish his sentence as his brother interrupted him.

“The subject ends here, Jongin. Go and start training with Baekhyun and Jongdae and let me train Jiann as the captain asked me to do.”

Tao’s stare was enough to make the boy walk away in defeat, but before he left he looked at Maddie who was standing there speechless.

“See you later.” He said softly and the girl couldn’t help but smile. That was when she felt Tao’s grip tighten around her arm, obviously being furious and the sweet smile she had on her face changed into a mean one, as she enjoyed making him angry.

 

Two hours passed with Tao literally trying to make Maddie pass out. He didn’t let her rest not even for a minute. Actually, the training was so tough that Maddie thought she would have gone to the hospital if she was a human. Sit ups, running, push-ups, combat training and the list went on, but the girl managed to complete every task he gave her and eventually Tao’s rage seized. He walked towards the door in silence leaving her behind him.

“From now on I’d like to ask you to keep your distance from my brother. You’re still a stranger here.” The sound of him slamming the door shut behind him echoed through the gym. Maddie was sitting on the floor her eyes pined on where he was standing a few seconds ago. Anger flooded her making her eyes turn into a dark red colour. She hated him so much.

I can’t wait to kill you. Her voice was heard inside her head, firm and calm at the same time.

She stood up, after she managed to calm herself down, before anyone saw her in this condition and walked to the door, but a noise made her halt her steps. Focusing, she heard chatter coming from the public showers, a room at the back of the gym and she slowly made her way there. There were Baekhyun, Jongdae and Jongin discussing something that seemed to be important for they were almost whispering.

“Seriously? Chanyeol managed to locate the HIVE’s secret package?” said Jongdae, his eyes widened in awe.

“Yes. I just learned it.” Replied Baekhyun.

“Do we know what it is?” asked Jongin and leaned a little forward.

“No, but we know where it is. Chanyeol recorded a conversation between the commander of the Beijing base and the HIVE’s general. The package is located there.” Said Baekhyun and nodded them to lean closer. “Anyway, the captain will tell us more about it tonight. For now, make sure Jiann doesn’t find out about this. Jongwoo’s orders. It’s up to Tao weather he’ll inform her or not.”

Maddie made a step back in shock.

What the hell? How could General Wu be so stupid and talk about something so important through the radio? And why are they saying that the package is located in Beijing? Maybe the General was talking about something else, not about me. No, Maddie. Stop doubting General’s actions. Obviously he knows what he’s doing. But still, I must warn them.

She sneaked out of the gym as quick and silent as she could. She walked around observing every corner of the tunnels, trying to find a place where she could be alone and that was when she remembered it. The door Jongin had used to get her outside during her panic attack. She would go outside, report to the HIVE and return back inside unnoticed. The only problem was that she couldn’t remember exactly where that door was. She stopped where she was to think.

Back then I was in a terrible condition. We couldn’t have walked far without being noticed by the guards. The door must be near the bedrooms.

She was proven right and a few meters away from her room she found the door. She slowly approached it, but before she managed to open it a male voice was heard and Maddie moved away, being a little startled.

“Where are you going Jiann?” said Jongin, who had his muscular arms crossed. Maddie quickly turned towards the opposite direction.

“I’m going to my room. The training was pretty tough today.” A small smile appeared on her face as she stared at the boy and he smiled back at her.

“Yes. He got really angry before, didn’t he?” He said and put a hand on her right shoulder. “I’m sorry. I should have defended you back there.”

Maddie put her hand on his and her smile grew bigger.

“Don’t even think about it. It’s fine.”

They remained there smiling at each other for a while in silence until Jongin talked.

“Anyway,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter