Chapter Three

Codename: Maddie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The house was really warm. A beautiful woman was sitting by the fireplace. A little girl was standing next to her holding her teddy bear in her hand. All of a sudden the door opened and a tall pale guy entered the room. The girl ran towards him and he lifted her on the air. Everyone was happy until a loud explosion was heard and it felt like the time had stopped. A few seconds later some guys smashed the door and entered the room. Their fangs and claws appeared and they jumped on the parents…The dad dropped the little girl away and she crawled to the corner crying and screaming. The soldiers slaughtered the woman right before the little girl’s eyes and the house was filled with blood. Afterwards they dragged the father out of the house and the little girl passed out from crying.

“No….no…nooo!!!” Maddie opened her eyes and sat on her bed. She was all sweaty and her heart was pounding in her chest like crazy. It was the same nightmare again. The same nightmare that kept her awake so many nights. She got up and went to the bathroom to take a cold shower.

When she returned to her bed she realized that the sun was rising. Immediately she ran to the window and pulled the heavy curtains in order to protect herself from the dangerous sunlight. It was Wednesday morning and Maddie realized she had only five days left until her mission started. She let a heavy sigh and then looked at her reflection in the mirror. “Alright pretty girl…” she said ironically looking at the black circles under her eyes. “Let’s go jogging for a while.”

 

The inside of the HIVE was fully protected from the sunlight so every vampire could wander around…Maddie reached the south bridge, the one that connected the hospital with the rooms. She had been running for over an hour thinking about the dream, 0trying to understand why she saw it so many times.

She leaned on the bridge’s bars trying to catch her breath when suddenly a pair of arms grabbed her waist from behind. Maddie quickly turned around to see Lu Han standing behind her and smiling brightly.

“Good morning pretty!” Said the boy but then he noticed the black circles under her eyes. “Wow. Look at these black circles. You didn’t sleep well?”

“No…I had this weird dream again.” said Maddie looking at her friend with worried eyes. “You saw it again? I thought this stupid nightmare had stopped.”

“It never actually stopped. It comes and goes but every time I see it I totally freak out. I mean who are these people anyway and why do I dream about them?”

“Don’t be so worried Yoorae. It’s just a dream. You need to forget about it and rest well.” said LuHan and put his hand on his friend’s shoulder.  Maddie looked at the boy and smiled a little.

“You’re right. I shouldn’t think about it right now. Besides I’ve got bigger problems to care about. My mission starts in five days and I have no idea on how to pretend I am a human.” LuHan’s eyes widened in shock.

“What? It starts so fast? Now you have a very good reason not to care about the stupid dream. And why would you pretend you’re a human?”

Maddie leaned closer to her friend and whispered. She started to explain everything about her mission to her best friend but what she hadn’t noticed was that someone was listening to them. When the conversation ended and Lu Han hugged his friend and left, the stranger took the chance and approached Maddie who was still looking at her friend’s figure moving away from her.

“So I guess you still have no clue on how you can make yourself look like a human.” The unknown voice surprised Maddie who quickly raised her head and observed the strange guy standing next to her. He was taller than her with brown hair and a beautiful face. He was also wearing a white robe.  

“Who are you and why were you listening to our conversation?” Said Maddie using her captain voice. The guy smiled brightly and leaned closer to her.

“Easy there tiger. You’re lucky I’m not reporting this to the General. You know it is forbidden to discuss about your missions with others. At least show some gratitude. Besides I’m here to help you. My name is Yixing.”

Maddie looked at the handsome healer. He was really kind and she liked that but she couldn’t trust him yet. “I’m Yoorae.”

“Oh I know who you are.” Said the man.

“What? How do you-”

“Hush. We can’t discuss about this right now. We need to solve your problem don’t you think?”

“Come on, you’re expecting me to trust a man I just met? Tell me how you knew my name.” huffed Maddie and pointed a finger in front of Yixing’s face.

“If you don’t stop asking I’ll report you to the General. I’m willing to help you succeed to your mission. What do you have to lose?” Said Yixing and before Maddie could say another word he grabbed her by the hand and pulled her towards the hospital.

The dispensary wasn’t far from the bridge. While they were walking Yixing couldn’t hold his smile and that was something that made Maddie even more curious about him. A few minutes later they reached a small metallic door that had a fingerprint scanner on the right side. Yixing put his finger on the scanner and they both entered at a big room that was full of medical supplies and tools.

“Welcome to my kingdom. You may sit down and I’ll be right back.” Said Yixing and entered a small room leaving Maddie alone. A few minutes later he returned holding a small round box in his hand and smiling brightly.

“Here you go.” Said Yixing and gave the box to Maddie.

“What is this?” asked the girl.

“This is something that only you know it exists. Something I made all by myself.” Maddie looked at the box and then back at Yixing. She reluctantly opened it revealing five small blue pills.

“Pills? How can they help me look like a human?”

“Do not underestimate them. These pills are my biggest creation. I worked hard for years to make them and yes, they will make you look like a human.” Maddie looked at Yixing with disbelief.

“Let’s say I believe you. What will happen to me when I take them?”

“They will raise your body temperature to human levels and they will also raise your heart pulse. For a human this condition is totally normal, but for a vampire…Let’s say that you’ll feel like having a flu.”

Maddie looked at the pills and then at Yixing. She was suspicious, she really was but now this was the best option she had. The only option.

“It sounds like a good idea but still…how do I know you’re indeed trying to help me? Why me?”

“Let’s just say I’m doing my duty as a healer. Look I know it’s hard for you to trust me but I’m telling you the truth and in order to prove you that the pills are safe I’ll take one now in front of you.” Yixing swallowed the pill. A few seconds later his chicks turned pink. He took Maddie’s hand and placed it on his face.

Her eyes widened when she felt the heat. It was the first time she actually touched someone so warm. She kind of liked that heat. She stood back and stared at Yixing who didn’t look like a walking corpse anymore. He moved closer to her. “See? They work. So what do you think?”

Maddie looked at the pills. “Well,I have to admit this was amazing.”

 She then raised her head to look at Yixing.” I-I think I’ll do it.” A huge smile appeared on Yixing’s face and Maddie couldn’t help but smile back at him. Yixing gave fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter