Chapter Four

Codename: Maddie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Maddie looked at the door. She looked at the man who entered and a weak smile appeared on her face. She recognized Jongwoo, the leader of the dragonflies from the very first moment he entered the room. He was a tough opponent and in here he had the upper hand. She knew she had to be smart and persuasive in order to convince the well experienced man.

Jongwoo walked towards the table and sat on the chair.

“So where did you say you come from?” He asked and leaned closer to her.

“Jinan sir. I walked all the way here from Jinan. I-I think I'm the last survivor. ” said Maddie while looking at the man.

“And you came here alone? What about your family?” asked JongWoo.

“I’ve lost everyone. Th-the vampire soldiers killed everyone in the city.”said Maddie letting a tear fall from her left eye.

“So…you’re telling me that in a city like Jinan the only survivor from the bloodsuckers’ attack is a teenage girl?” Said JongWoo and leaned even closer to the girl. Their faces were only a few centimeters away.

Maddie was trying really hard to remain calm. She looked him in the eye. “You don’t believe me sir?” She said.

He smiled. “To tell the truth, no I don’t.”

She raised her head. “Alright calm down Yoorae. Just calm down.” She thought.

“I don’t blame you sir. Life’s hard nowadays. Especially with the vampires wandering outside our doorsteps. But please sir…I really need a shelter. Let me stay and I’ll do my best to be useful…Let me prove you that I’m telling you the truth.” Said she, using the most desperate tone she could muster.

Jongwoo was looking at the floor. He seemed really confused.

Suddenly a voice was heard.

“Sorry to interrupt sir but could you come outside for a while?” Said the man through the speakers. Jongwoo got out of the room and saw Tao and Heechul standing. They had watched the procedure and they both looked suspicious.

“What are you gonna do captain??” Asked Heechul.

“I don’t trust her. Something doesn’t feel right about her story.” Said the man in a worried tone.  

“I don’t think we should let her stay.” Said Tao.

Heechul looked at both of the men. “I believe we should give her a chance.” He said.

Tao and Jongwoo turned to look at the older man and the latter moved closer to him. “What? You’re asking me to let a girl I just found outside to wander inside our HQ? To walk around our people? You’re asking me to be so careless?”

Heechul put his hand on the man’s shoulder. “Jongwoo, I’m asking you to be logical. We haven’t seen an alive person around here for months now. Nobody survived the attacks. But she did. I’m not asking you to trust her. I’m asking you to give her a chance. I don’t know if she really was in Jinan but she was out there and she somehow survived. Who knows, she might be good at battle.”

Heechul’s last words made Tao laugh out loud. “Seriously Heechul? You think she would be able to kill? I bet she can’t fight a bug.”

“Tao stop being a jerk and mind your manners! Do not forget that Heechul is much older than you and of higher rank!!” Said Jongwoo and shot Tao a scary glare.

The boy stopped laughing immediately and bowed to Heechul in apology.

“It’s alright Jongwoo.” said Heechul. “Besides we have a biggest problem than Tao’s manners and lack of discipline. We can’t keep the girl in there forever.”

Jongwoo looked at Maddie through the glass window. He knew Heechul was right. He had to make a decision.

 

Baekhyun was at the gym practicing with Jongdae. It was early in the morning and the gym was empty so the boys could enjoy their training. Suddenly the doors opened and Tao walked inside.

“You didn’t sleep well Mr. Grumpy?” Asked Baekhyun with a playful smirk on his face.

“I didn’t sleep at all you idiot. I was watching the questioning.” Said Tao with his deep voice.

Jongdae turned to look at his best friend. “The questioning? It’s finally over?”

“It’s over, but the girl is still at the room. Captain hasn’t made a decision yet.” Said Tao and sat on the floor. The boys sat beside him.

“She must leave.” Said Tao. “I don’t trust her.”

Jongdae put his hand on his friend’s shoulder. “Maybe you’re right man. But what if you’re not? What if she is a good girl who probably knows how to fight? She might be useful. We need people. Especially now that the bloodsuckers have this weird package. We don’t know what it is. We need soldiers in order to patrol the territory better. I believe we should give her a chance.”

“I agree with Jongdae!” Said Baekhyun who was sitting right opposite Tao. “We need soldiers and we also need new girls. And the newcomer is really pretty. Isn’t she?”

Tao took off his shoe and threw it at Baekhyun’s forehead.

“Yah!!” Screamed Baekhyun. “Why did you do that?”

Jongdae answered the question instead of Tao. “Because you’re an idiot who only thinks about…you know…mating.” He said.

Baekhyun looked at Jongdae. He was trying to hold his laughter.

“Seriously Jongdae? Mating? What do you think I am? A dog?” He said and sat closer to Jongdae. He put his arm around his shoulders.

“My friend, you really need to find a girl soon.” Said Baekhyun and immediately received a slap from Jongdae. “Ouch! Now I know why you’re best friends with Mr. Grumpy.” Said Baekhyun and stood on his feet. “I’m going for a walk.” Said the boy and left the gym.

Jongdae looked at Tao and smiled at the sight of his friend who was fast asleep on the floor.

“Come on big guy. Let’s take you to your bed. You’ve had enough for one night.” Said Jongdae with a chuckle and helped his sleepy friend stand on his feet.

 

The captain walked towards the questioning room. The girl was still inside sleeping on the chair. She looked exhausted. He entered the room and the noise he made was enough to wake her up.

“I’ve made my decision

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter