Hideout

Fronting

“Do you know Jung Ahri?”

“We were classmate last year, why?”

“I heard that she dated Jeon Wonwoo!”

“Holy ! That hot guy? How could she dated him?”

“I don’t know, Wonwoo’s ex is even prettier than Ahri like... she is on the whole  another level above Ahri!”

“I know right? Where did Wonwoo left his eyes?”

 

After waiting for the girls to leave the toilet, I finally came out of my hideout. I know that my face is not even worth for someone to like me,

but I really don’t know that dating someone who I have been liked for years would caused things like this. Damn it! I should not say ‘yes’ to Wonwoo.

 

Even when I walked with my head down, I could feel couple of eyes that was looking at me; judging at how this girl could date Wonwoo.

They’re judging me because I’m not pretty like Wonwoo’s ex girlfriend, and I don’t have anything that they all have. I hate this; when people are looking at me. I meant it.

 

“Ahri!” I stopped after a pair of hands grabbed mine, then I looked back; it’s Wonwooo. I could not help but smile while looking at him.

He’s the one who I always looked at for these years, and seeing him right in front of my eyes is like a dream - a beautiful dream.

“Did you eat yet?”

“Uhmm, I just ate my lunch.” Actually I have not eat, but eating with Wonwoo would be a burdensome since everyone would look at us.

He pouted, “Really? But I waited for you in the cafeteria and I didn’t even see you?” Still, his hands are on mine, and now he slipped his fingers in between mine.

“Let’s go to the class then.”

“Aren’t you going to eat?”

“I’m not hungry, I just wanted to see you eat but you already did.”

 

He is lying, Wonwoo that I already know for years were always hungry, and he is always eating his lunch in seconds. If he didn’t eat lunch today then he must be extremely hungry right now.

And if he didn’t eat just because of me, then I’m the one who’s a burden for him.

 

I stopped and turned around, with our hands still on each other. “You have to eat lunch, you are extremely hungry right know.”

He laughed, “How did you know?”

I’ve been watching you for years, it’s just you who doesn’t know anything. “Your face says it all.”

 

Even when we were in the cafeteria, I did not order anything because I eat slowly, and I could not bear people looking at me for that long.

Even right now, the girls who passed by us were talking trash about me and I could not help but thinking about it over and over again.

 

If I reminisced the old times, I would sit right behind Wonwoo’s chair to look at him while he’s eating. But now, I’m in front of him and he ate right in front of me.

I felt the butterfly on my stomach every time Wonwoo stopped eating and looked right to my eyes, or should I say he was staring right into my soul.

 

“Jeon Wonwoo!” The waiter called his name.

“Oh, my iced coffee.”

I stood up first before him, “Just continue your food, I will take that.” then he nodded while smiling at me.

“Jeon Wonwoo, iced coffee latte?” said the waiter, I nodded.

 

But when I turned around, someone who’s tall with tan skin looked at me like there’s something really wrong with me. His lips curved and still didn’t move.

When I moved to the right, he copied me. When I moved to the left, he also copied me. This guy is sick, he didn’t even let me go.

 

“I’m sorry, but I have to go.” but he followed me again even when I walked. I don’t know what he wanted, but he kept following me to my seat.

Suddenly he sped up and stopped right in front of me.

He bent down to look at my name tag, “Jung Ah Ri.” he said. “Nice to know you.”

“Huh?”

“Kim Mingyu, and we will meet again for sure.” Then he just left me dumbfounded like that.

 I’ve never see him, and what was that? Is he crazy?

 

Wonwoo was waiting for me, and when I arrived he smiled warmly. If people said that Wonwoo is cold because of his appearance then they are all wrong;

Wonwoo is very warm-hearted. It’s just me doesn’t deserve him.

 

“How about date after school? We can watch movie.” He said while walking hand in hand with me. I couldn’t think properly,

people are crazily talking behind my back and I really don’t like that. Their whispers are loud enough for me to hear, and it’s annoying.

“But...”

“I don’t take a ‘no’. Let’s meet after class!”

 

Oh, at least we won’t meet anyone in the cinema. Right? I hoped so.

 

***

 

Right when I entered the class, there’s someone who is sitting on my chair, it’s the guy before!

What is he doing here? And on my chair?

 

People are talking with each other, and I’m sure it’s about Mingyu who’s literally a stranger in this class.

I just frozen up in my position and couldn’t walk to my seat because of him. I don’t want people to know that this strange guy knows me.

 It’d be a burdensome.

 

“Noona!” He waved his hands and pointed at me, “Come here!”

Automatically, I just walked towards him. “What are you doing in my class? Get out!”

I tried to talk as polite as possible towards him since my classmate were circling us. “I said, get out!”

But he smiled widely, “I told you, we will meet again.”

“Yes, and please get out of this class, we have to study.”

“Noona, can’t I join you in this class?”

“Why are you calling me ‘Noona’? I’m not even your Noona for goddamn sake!” I said while dragging him out of the class, but he was still smiling from ear to ear. 

Something must wrong with his brain, he is crazy. “Don’t disturb me, please.”

“If you need me, I must be somewhere here. I’m your junior by the way.” then he left me again like what he did before.

 

I walked to my seat hoping nobody would ask me about that crazy kid and luckily the teacher got into the class right after Mingyu left.

 It was just Hana - my chairmate - who asked me about Mingyu for the whole one hour and forty five minutes at the class.

 

She is the only close friend I have in this school, and we are not even that close anyway since I always hide anything from her.

 She is a social butterfly and I’m afraid that one day she would spill all my secret if we ever got into a fight. I’m afraid of a backstab.

 

Everything happened just like what I was scared of; my classmate asking me about Mingyu and how did I know him. 

The reality is, I don’t even know why I know him and I don’t even want to know that guy.

 

“How could he knows you? Like, he is our junior and he just transferred here one week ago.” Soomin asked me,

 but I don’t even know what to say so I just kept silent.

 

It was Wonwoo who saved me from the questions, and the girls were whispering as I left the class with Wonwoo who held my hand.

 Actually, he didn’t help at all, his action made them talked about me more.

 

“Why were they cornering you? Did they bullying you? Tell me!”

I shook my head, “They were asking me about Mingyu because... Because I talked with Mingyu a while ago.”

“How did you know that transferred kid?”

“Do you know him?”

Wonwoo nodded, “Yes, my friend told me about that Mingyu guy who got into a lot of fights at his previous school, so he moved here.”

No wonder his face looks like a bad guy, he really is a bad guy then. But I still couldn’t believe that finally there’s 

someone who pulled me out of that scary girls in class, and he is Wonwoo. Like, finally, someone saved me.

 

Three years ago, before I got into this senior high school, I was bullied on the junior high school.

It’s even worse, people bullied me even from my elementary school days. Even until now, I don’t even know why they bullied me. 

Every time I tried to do anything, people would misunderstood my actions and pushed down my self-esteem.

 

Even when I don’t do anything, people would say things like ‘that girl can’t do anything’ or ‘that girl think she could do everything’ to me.

 And even my friends would talk behind my back, talking about my appearance even when i dressed normally like them.

 

I don’t know what made them hate me so much but still maintain a smile when they met my eyes like 

they’re literally backstabbing me how could they smile so brightly like that in front of me?

 

Since that, when I entered high school I really tried not to be standing out between them, and just studying so I could graduate and leave this school.

 Better if I could move to another country and start over. I just do everything that I should do as a student and my life has been just school and home.

 

Wonwoo was just the only motivation for me to go to school when I get bored with studying, and when he confessed to me until now when 

we are dating, I don’t know that it would break all things that I did these years.

 

People started to look at me again, and I started to hear people talking trash about me again.

 It’s been a while, but right now I can’t believe that I have Wonwoo who saved me.

 

He suddenly stopped and when I looked to the front, there is a girl who is holding hand with a guy. Both Wonwoo and the girl looked at each other

 as they stopped from walking. Until the guy told the girl to just continue walking, Wonwoo still didn’t move from his position.

 

Could it be his ex girlfriend? If yes, what people said about her must be true. She is really pretty like I’m nothing compared to her, I really don’t deserve Wonwoo at all.

 

Even while watching move and after that, Wonwoo still didn’t talk to me and his smile was disappeared a long time ago

 with the footstep of his ex girlfriend. Actually, it really hurts me when I looked at him looking at her. 

His eyes showed that he really missed her, and I’m nothing even when I’m beside him.

 

“Wonwoo, are you okay?” he is now walking me to my house, but his face still couldn’t hide the disappointment towards the girl and the guy before. 

Wow, I really feel like a trash right now.

He tried to smile, “Sure, I’m okay, why?”

“Nothing, I...” he suddenly stopped then bent to my height, kissed my lips then smiled. “Wonwoo...”

“Thank you for today.”

I grabbed his hand, stopping him from walking. “How about we break up?”

“No, because I don’t want to.”

“But I want to break up. I can’t stay still when people talked about how you should not date me, and I can’t stop thinking on how to be worth for you 

since I really have nothing I could brag, and how you’re still hurt when you saw your ex girlfriend just now. I feel like there’s nothing right for us, 

and I’m not enjoying anything from our relationship, Wonwoo.”

“But we just dated for two weeks, you shouldn’t conclude everything so fast like that!”

“That’s why I can’t enjoy anything even when it’s just our second week, I’m really not worthed for you, Wonwoo. 

You can find someone better than me or try to get back your ex.” 

 

I really, really like him. But I don’t want my past to be happened again right now. I don’t want people to think bad about me 

and even talked behind my back. Even if it’s hurts, I admitted that I’m the one who’s at fault right now.

 

Back to square one, admiring Wonwoo from the far.

 

***

 

I really don’t know what to do. Now, people talked about how could an unworthy girl like me dumped Wonwoo.

 If it’s a karma for hurting Wonwoo, I will try to accept it. I know I’m stupid, and I regret it.

 

Even walking from the toilet felt like walking two kilometers away, damn, how could the class be this far?

 

And I forgot that I shouldn’t walk through this corridor on the rest time since people are all staying here with their circle. 

It was just a second when I started to look at my environment then a pair of hands were blocking my ears and leading me to the rooftop.

 

“They’re really annoying.” He said while looking at the view of Seoul from this school’s rooftop.

I did not say anything, just followed him to look at the view.

“You should not hear them, they are just jealous of you and started talking nonsense.”

“They are not talking nonsense, they are talking the truth. I’m really unworthy for Wonwoo.”

Mingyu looked at me, smirking. “Do you think people will stop talking behid your back after you broke up with Wonwoo?”

“How could you know I broke up with him?”

“Almost the whole school are talking about it!” then he covered his lips, realizing that he said something wrong.

“It’s okay, I already know that the whole school talked about that. I deserved it anyway, I dumped Wonwoo when he did nothing wrong.”

He smiled again, and I just realized that he has such a shining eyes; it’s really pretty. “Trust me, everything happened for a reason.”

“What kind of reason?”

“Maybe to make you closer with me? If you still dated Wonwoo then I couldn’t talk like this with you or that Hyung would kick my  right away.”

 

Finally, I laughed. I know that he didn’t make a joke but the way he talks was enough to make my heart lighten a bit. 

 

“Do you still remember what I told you yesterday?”

“What?”

“If you need me, I must be somewhere here. I will listen to you, Noona.”

“Thank you, Mingyu.”

“You’re just an open book, not funny.” suddenly he complained. “You have to try something adventurous with me.”

“Like what?”

“Like skipping from school, date to Hangang River until past midnight, runaway from home, drive my Sister’s car to another city 

without telling her, or anything you wanted to do with me.”

 

He really made me smile a lot today.

 

“I’m sorry but I don’t like adventurous thing or anything that you suggested to me.” I said before walking down of the rooftop, 

leaving the cutie Mingyu there.

But he shouted, “I promised to make you do anything you don’t like with me, Noona! And call me Oppa even though I’m younger than you!”

 

Mingyu is cute. He really is.

 

***