Chapter 5

Adventures Of A Transfer Student

A/N: I swear to god this is going somewhere. I promise

Soonyoung sighed as he walked into the dance studio. He tossed his bag down on the floor and made sure his phone was hooked up to the speaker before he walked outside to the main entrance of the building. “Tiny Toes dance group?” He called out, looking around over the sea of people. He stood as he saw mothers stand up with their kids, leading them over. He smiled at the parents that had come to watch their kids in their first dance practice.

“Is this everyone?” he asked the receptionist.

“You’re supposed to have twelve kids, if that’s what you’re asking,” She smiled.

Soonyoung lead everyone into the dance room and did a head count. Twelve kids, twelve parents. The parents lined up by the wall, sitting on the bench set there. Soonyoung smiled at the parents. “Hi! It’s nice to see that every kid here has a parent with them. My name is Kim Soonyoung, and I’m going to be their dance instructor for the next six weeks! After this practice, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me!” He smiled. He was good at this, talking. He may be considered a conversationalist. He pulled out a clipboard and did a role call, making sure he knew every kids’ name for the first class.

 

At the end of the class, Soonyoung handed out stickers to the kids, who excitedly showed their parents. He let everyone file out of the room, only stopping to answer questions.

“If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you?” One mother asked.

“I’m only 16, ma’am.”

“Oh, so young yet so successful!” She smiled.

He bowed politely, smiling and waving at the kids who said goodbye. Soon enough, everyone was out the door and it was almost dark. The receptionist turned off the computer.

“Do you mind closing up? I told my mother I’d visit and she’s quite insistent on me not being late.”

“Yeah, sure, no problem.”

Soonyoung watched her exit the building and walk to her car before he made sure all the lights were turned off in the studio. He walked back to the front, only to be startled by a figure standing in the doorway.

“Surprised to see me?” Jihoon asked.

“Don’t do that!” Soonyoung clutched at his heart.

Jihoon just chuckled. Soonyoung laughed as well.

“What are you doing here?” He asked.

“I wanted to see what this place looked like. You mentioned you worked here and I was curious.”

“What’s to be curious about? It’s a dance studio. Nothing interesting.”

“What do you teach here?”

“Generally toddler hip-hop.”

Jihoon smiled at that.

“I didn’t expect you, of all people, to be a kid person.”

Soonyoung chuckled, nodding.

“They’re wonderful. Absolute rays of sunshine, all of them.”

“You know, I used to take dance.”
“Really?” Soonyoung was surprised, “For how long?”

“Mmmm, seven years maybe? I try to keep up with it sometimes.”

“Well, you know, we host a dance recital at the end of the year, and I was thinking of a partner dance, but until now, I didn’t have a partner, but if you were willing to…” Soonyoung let the question trail off.

“Sure, why not?”

“When do you want to start?”

“Depends. How long are you allowed to stay in the studio after hours?”

Two hours later, Jihoon and Soonyoung are both sat on the floor, sweaty and out of breath.

“I don’t like how we’re working out the beginning,” Soonyoung says, lying down.

“Maybe if we started standing together instead of so far away?”

Soonyoung pulled himself up again, along with Jihoon. They stood a little bit closer this time.

“Here, how about this,” Soonyoung suggested, “We start with hands on each other’s chests, and you know the beat of the song, that’s kind of like deep inhaling, so let’s start with acting like we’re taking deep breaths. Now, when she starts to sing ‘I’m a little curious’, I’m going to push you away, but don’t worry, I’ll grab you by the wrist. Would you be cool with doing a twirl?”

“Sure.”

They continued the rest of the song, but adapting a few parts to fit the beginning. Soonyoung smiled and paused the music.

“I think it looks decent for now. We’ll brush up on it tomorrow, because I get most of that day off and I have a dance studio free to myself.”

“That sounds good. You’re a really good dancer, by the way,” Jihoon smiles.

“Thanks. You aren’t too bad yourself.”

Soonyoung picked up his bag and went to walk out the door. He paused before he passed Jihoon and leaned down, dropping his voice a little. “You know, you look a lot hotter when we’re that close,” he murmurs. He chuckles and flashes his boyfriend a smile, ducking out the door, missing the water bottle thrown at his head by his insanely embarrassed boyfriend.