Chapter 3

Adventures Of A Transfer Student

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry. Oh my god I’m sorry. I don’t know what that was. You must hate me oh my god I’m so sorry,” Soonyoung spewed out different versions of apologies as Jihoon blushed.

“Soonyoung…” Jihoon lifts his fingers up to his lips, now stood up and fully awake.

“I’m so sorry. I am so so sorry.”

“Soonyoung-”

“Sorry, I just..”

“Soonyoung?”

“I swear, I didn’t mean to, I-

“SOONYOUNG SHUT THE UP!”

Soonyoung let his words fall short. The younger continued speaking.

“Soonyoung, look at me, okay? There we go. Look at my face. I’m not mad at you. I’m not mad at you at all. I’m not even slightly irritated. I don’t care, okay? You don’t have to be sorry.”

“I’m sorry, I just-”
“Stop it. Don’t say sorry. For anything, okay?”

“Okay,” Soonyoung cautiously nodded his head.

“Just tell me; why did you kiss me?”

“I-I don’t know. I don’t have a good enough answer.”

“Well, do you have an answer?”

“I guess.”
“So tell me that answer.”

Soonyoung stuttered and blushed. He let out a sigh, mentally preparing himself.

“Jihoon, I like you.”

“So kiss me again.”
“Wh-what?” Soonyoung was taken aback by that answer.

“I said, if you like me, kiss me again.”

Soonyoung stepped closer to Jihoon. Jihoon wrapped his arms around the older’s shoulders, and Soonyoung one of his hands sit on the small of Jihoon’s back, the other one on his cheek. They both leaned closer until their noses were almost touching. “Can I?” Soonyoung whispered. Jihoon nodded his head, standing on his tippy toes until their lips met. Their eyes fluttered closed as they stood in the middle of the sunlit room like that for a few minutes. They parted, both a bright shade of pink. Jihoon let out a content sigh, leaning his head on Soonyoung’s shoulder. He smiled.

“Thank you.”

“For what?” Soonyoung inquired.

“Kissing me.”

Soonyoung just chuckled.

“You smell. Like, really bad. Go take a shower.”

“And that’s the story about how you completely ruined the mood.”

Jihoon stepped out of the shower a few minutes later with damp hair and a pair of Soonyoung’s sweats hanging low on his waist. Soonyoung smiled at him as he sat down at the breakfast bar, glasses awkwardly skewed on his face. Soonyoung adjusted them so they were straight and then set down a plate of eggs in front of the boy. Jihoon nodded as thanks.

“Tired?”

“Mmhmm,” Jihoon mumbled through a mouthful of eggs and sausage.

“You’re gross!” Soonyoung laughed at Jihoon’s full mouth.

“You’re the one who asked a question,” Jihoon said after swallowing.

Soonyoung smiles and stands up fully, ruffling the younger’s hair. He heads to the bathroom, claiming he was going to take a shower. Jihoon looked around after he left, glancing around the room.

It was a decent sized room, for a kitchen. The walls were lined with shelves that were probably filled with food items. The cupboard for the coffee mugs was still open and Jihoon stood to close it. As he closed it, something fell out. He picked up the piece of paper that fell, curious. He unfolded it, making sure no one was around.

“Ms. Kwon–

Accepted to the hospital: September 9th
Case #: 1235723

Illness: Stage 4 Leukemia

Notes: Should be curable, but we’re having a bit of trouble.”

Jihoon closed the note quickly, shoving it back where it fell from. He shook the thought from his head, closing the cupboard. He heard the shower turn off, and a minute later, Soonyoung appeared in the kitchen. He smiled at Jihoon.

“We should do something today, since it’s an off-day.”

“Yeah.”

That day, they decided to go to the fall carnival that was in town for a few weeks. Soonyoung was very touchy on the ride there, keeping Jihoon’s hand in his, resting on his thigh the entire time he was driving. Jihoon let his hand stay there, the papers from earlier taunting him from the back of his mind. He tried his best to shrug it off and have a good time. They sang along loudly to the radio in the car, even to the bad songs. They reached the carnival and Soonyoung excitedly hopped up and down, waiting for Jihoon to get out of the car.

“You’re like a four year old sometimes, I swear.”

“Hey, it’s a carnival!”

Jihoon just laughed and let Soonyoung excitedly tug him towards the gates. They paid for their passes and the first place Jihoon found himself being led was the biggest roller coaster in the park. Luckily, the line was short, so they got in relatively quick. They clambered into one of the carts, listening as the attendant ran over rules.

“Hands, feet, and other limbs inside the cart. Leave your bags to the side and don’t stand up. Put the safety bar down before you ride and make sure your seat is properly locked. Thank you and have a good ride.”

The ride slowly started to accelerate. Jihoon smiled at Soonyoung’s excited face.

They reached the end of the ride and Jihoon stumbled off, dizzy. Soonyoung hopped off after him, grabbing their bag.

“Did you like it?”

“I thought I was going to explode.”

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

“Whatever you say.”

They walked away from the ride a bit and found themselves by a bunch of vendors.

“Let me win you something,” Soonyoung smiled.

“You don’t have to. You know these games are rigged and I don’t want you to waste your money on me.”

“Hey, don’t be so down. I wanna win you something!” Jihoon just smiled at the supposedly older guy and nodded. They walked down the row of games until Jihoon saw something that caught his eye. He pointed at a big pink teddy bear hanging by it’s ears. Soonyoung chuckled.

“I didn’t see you as a pink person.”

“Hey, he matches my hair.”

“Alrighty then.”

Jihoon watched as Soonyoung had a short conversation with the man at the stall. He listened to the rules explained. The game was difficult. He felt bad for making Soonyoung try. Soonyoung accepted the three tossing rings from the vendor and took his aim. He tossed the first ring and it landed directly on the hardest bottle to hit. Two more rings later and Jihoon was being handed a large pink stuffie.

“Wow. You’re amazing.”

“I know,” Soonyoung boasted jokingly, making them both laugh.

“Thank you, for this. You’re the best.”

Jihoon hugged Soonyoung. He felt a flutter in his chest as he did so, smiling.

Later, after quite a few rides and lunch and more than enough slurpees, Jihoon was led to the ferris wheel. They got onto a cart and slowly ascended.

“Hey, Jihoon?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks. For not being mad at me, when I, umm, you know..” He trailed off.

“No problem.”

“You know, what I said about me liking you, I really meant it.”

“I meant it too.”

“I know it’s not the best idea, and I know we’ve only known each other for a short while, but,” their cart reached the top of the ride, “Would you like to be my boyfriend?”

Soonyoung his lips nervously. Jihoon let in a little gasp.

“I-I- Soonyoung, I-” he was cut off.

“I’m sorry, I know it was a stupid idea to even ask you, I just thought-” Soonyoung was the one to be cut off now, by a pair of soft lips being pushed against his own. He closed his eyes, kissing Jihoon back.

“If you didn’t know, that meant yes, Soonyoung.”

Soonyoung smiled broadly, giddy. Jihoon grinned as well, intertwining their hands. They headed back to Soonyoung’s house, intending on parting ways that night, only to end up cuddling, asleep, on Soonyoung’s couch as the credits of a movie rolled on the television.