Chapter 1

Adventures Of A Transfer Student

Soonyoung had a list of things he wanted to do before he died. It wasn’t anything really quirky, it was just travelling. The problem was that this all involved travelling with someone he loved. He didn’t have anyone like that who could do that. If his mother and father were mobile enough and were up to it, he’d gladly take them. Sadly enough, though, it isn’t really recommended to move old people around the world on your odd adventures. So, high school would have to do for now. Unless, unless, he found someone there that might go with him.

Soonyoung sighed, entering the large building for the first time. His first time at this high school. He had been to another one, sure, but moving schools is kind of scary. He walked into the office, nervously approaching the attendant. She smiled warmly at him as he entered and he loosened up a bit.

“Hello, I’m a new student here! I hope I wouldn’t be too bothersome asking for a map?” He bowed.

“Of course, sweetie! Here, this is a map, and what’s your name?”

“Soonyoung. Kwon Soonyoung.”

“Ah! I was told you would show up today. Here, I have a copy of your schedule here.”

“Thank you ma’am!”

“Just call me Ms. Kim! Have a good day!”
“You too, Ms. Kim!”

Well, at least the attendant was nice. He didn’t know if he could say the same about his new classmates yet. He nervously entered the classroom, still busy with life before the bell rang. The professor walked in behind him and stood at the front of the class. Soonyoung awkwardly stood to the side, grateful no one had noticed him yet. The class immediately went silent. The professor smiled.

“Hello students! So, today, we have a new student. I know it’s the middle of the year, but I hope it isn’t too hard for you to at least say hello. Mr. Kwon Soonyoung, could you please introduce yourself to the class?”

Soonyoung walked to the front of the class, trying his best to smile convincingly. It seemed to work, because people smiled back. He bowed.

“Hello! I’m Kwon Soonyoung! Please take care of me this year!” He smiles nervously.

“Soonyoung, you can take a seat at the back in the desk with Lee Jihoon, who is raising his hand.”

Soonyoung looked around, seeing no one with their hand up. The professor grumpily walked to the back of the classroom, hitting a kid on the back of the head with a book.

“Lee Jihoon, night time is for sleep, not math class.”

“Sorry professor!”

The class laughed. Soonyoung went to his seat and set his bag down beside him. Soon after the professor turned around, a note was slipped onto Soonyoung’s side of the desk.

‘I’m Jihoon. You’re Soonyoung, right? The new kid?’

‘Yeah, I guess,’ He wrote back.

‘Wanna eat lunch together? My other friends are sick, so you can’t meet them now.’

‘Oh, that’s unfortunate that they’re sick’

‘They’re both probably just skipping school to go on a date. Jisoo gets good enough grades to pass, and all of Jeonghan’s teachers are female and can’t help but get wetter than a river if he flips his hair, so they don’t have to worry.’

Soonyoung rolled his eyes, smiling at his seat partner. He turned to the board and started taking notes on the subject, waiting for the bell to ring.

That lunch, Soonyoung followed Jihoon. Luckily, they had all of their classes together. They went outside to eat, sitting at one of the benches in the courtyard.

“You know, I wasn’t expecting someone to actually be nice to me,” Soonyoung admitted.

“Why not?” Jihoon asked.

“I don’t know, it just didn’t seem like anyone would like the kid who transferred at such a stupid time.”

“Well, I enjoy your company, and you seem like a decent human being. You don’t murder people, right?”

Soonyoung just laughed at his friend.

“No, I don’t murder people, Jihoon. That’s illegal.”

“You never know! You could be waiting to turn me into your next victim! You didn’t slip anything into my water, did you?” Jihoon joked.

They just laughed. Soonyoung shook his head at his odd friend with the bright pink hair. They talked about their life at home for a bit, and Soonyoung found out that Jihoon lived alone, in his own apartment, working on his music in his spare time. He also found out that Jihoon got grumpy sometimes, so don’t take it personally if Jihoon is a little blunt one day. Soonyoung just smiled, understanding. Jihoon learnt that Soonyoung wanted to travel with someone he loves, someone who means a lot to him. Whether it be a friend, a relative, a boyfriend-

“Wait, oh , did I say boyfriend? I meant- umm, I meant,”

“Soonyoung, calm down. It’s fine if you’re gay.”

“What? You don’t think I’m gross?”

“I’m gay too,” Jihoon shrugged, like it was nothing big to him.

“I’m jealous you’re so sure when you say that.”

“Are you not sure about your uality?”

“No, it’s just that I’m scared people won’t like me.”

“You don’t have to worry about that in this school. A lot of people here date same- partners. One of the teachers is gay. The principal is bi. You’re at home here.”

Soonyoung sighed and smiled with relief, chuckling.

“Well, that’s good.”

“Yeah. It’s nice to know that there are people out there and you aren’t alone, I guess.”

They both sat in a comfortable silence until it was time to go inside to their next classes.

After school, Soonyoung told his mom he was hanging out with a new friend and she gladly let him go. He promised her he’d be back before ten, and left with Jihoon to his apartment. They reached the little building Jihoon lived in, and Jihoon sheepishly opened the door to his home. Soonyoung smiled as he stepped in, removing his shoes. The apartment was small, but good for one person, maybe two people if they were together or willing to room together. The living room had a small loveseat and a chair surrounding a small coffee table. The floors all throughout the home were either tile or hardwood. The kitchen had a breakfast bar instead of a dining table, and where the dining room would be was a makeshift office, of desks and computers and screens and stereos and storage spaces.

“It’s a bit messy, but it’s home. Just don’t go in the bedroom. I’d like my friend to stay alive and not drown in the mess, please and thank you.”

“Got it. Don’t go in the bedroom, stay alive. Sounds good.”

They both chuckled. Jihoon made Soonyoung and himself a cup of tea and they sat at the breakfast bar. Soonyoung decided to inquire about the computers. “Oh, it’s where I compose. I’m sure my guitar is there somewhere. Give me a second,” Jihoon said, getting up and grabbing a guitar from a stand hidden in the corner. He sat back down, pick in hand, and adjusted himself for a second.

“Please excuse if I play badly.”

“I’m sure you’ll play great.”

Jihoon smiled nervously, and started strumming.

“Down the road and on the right hand side,

There’s a place I sometimes like to dine.

Coffee refills as far as I can, see,

I’ll be waking, are you watching me?”

Soonyoung’s jaw dropped as Jihoon continued singing. He had an amazing voice, and an incredible talent with the guitar. The song ended sooner than expected, and he smiled.

“Was it okay? I’m sure I sang something wrong. I hit a wrong chord on the guitar and I really don’t think I sang in the right pitch and-” Jihoon was cut off.

“Jihoon. It was great. Look at me. I am not the wall. Look. It was great. It was amazing. That was the most gorgeous thing I’ve ever heard besides my mom’s laughter. It was great. I love it. You’re very talented with the guitar, and your voice is beautiful, and you were wonderful. You’re great.”

Jihoon blushed at the compliments. He wasn’t used to being complimented.

“Th-thanks, Soonyoung.”

“No problem,” He said, but he smiled again, in wonderment at Jihoon's playing.

They talked some more about their lives, their dreams, their goals and aspirations. Jihoon wants to be a producer when he leaves school, making his own music. Soonyoung fully supports the idea, wanting to be right beside him when he does make it. Soon, though, Soonyoung has to leave because he promised his mom, and Jihoon hugs him when he does leave. They stand like that for a moment, holding each other, for a reason neither of them can explain. They just both need a hug.

“Tell your mom I want to meet her some time, yeah?”

“I will. Bye my cute adorable amazing sweetie Jihoonie!”

Soonyoung smiles at the blush rising on Jihoon’s cheeks, ducking out of the way just in time to miss the pillow thrown at his head, laughing. He smiles all the way home, singing along to the radio, even the songs he doesn’t really like, because he knows he’s going to see Jihoon again.