Chapter 2

Adventures Of A Transfer Student

Soonyoung wakes up the next day feeling happier than usual. He hums while getting ready and jogs down the stairs.

“Excited much?” his mom laughed.

“Excited for school.”

She jokingly scoffed, laughing.

“Are you sure it’s not just that boy you told me about? Jihoon?” His mom teased.

“Mom! No, it’s not like that. I like that school.”

“Sure, whatever you say.”

She laughed again and Soonyoung kissed her on the cheek, grabbing his backpack and running out the door.

“Bye mom!” he shouted behind him.

“Tell your little crush I said hi!”

Soonyoung just shook his head.

At the bus stop, Soonyoung noticed a familiar figure approach. He smiled at Jihoon.

“Hey.”

“Apparently we aren’t as far apart as we thought,” Jihoon chuckled.

“No, we aren’t. My mom said hi, by the way.”

“Mhm. Tell her I said hi back.”

Soonyoung nodded and pulled out his earbuds.

“Music?” he offered one to Jihoon.

“Mhm.”

Jihoon nodded and put the earbud in. Soonyoung clicked on a playlist and put it on shuffle. “The Cave” by Mumford and Sons started playing first. Soonyoung felt something brush up against his hand. He looked down, seeing Jihoon’s hand as the thing that he felt. He looks back up to the road but discreetly intertwines their fingers. He sees Jihoon look down out of the corner of his eye, smiling. The grip on his hand tightens and they both unconsciously move a little closer.

At school that day, Jihoon introduces Soonyoung to Jisoo and Jeonghan.

“Hi! My name is Jisoo!” A tall brown haired boy smiled.

“I’m Jeonghan!” Soonyoung shook the hand of a boy with long blond hair.

They both seemed nice enough, but Soonyoung couldn’t get over the fact that every time he looked at Jihoon, his heart sped up. He brushed it off as just the rush of a new friend each time it happened. Throughout the day, he’d find Jihoon a little closer to him than he thought, their shoulders brushing, their hands so close to intertwining, so close, but never quite. In class, they bump shoulders sometimes, passing little notes. At recess, Jeonghan and Jisoo head off to snuggle on one of the benches. Jihoon laughs and points at them, pretending to barf.

“Hey, you’d be like that too if you had a boyfriend.”

“How do you know?”

“You’re just cute like that.”

Soonyoung sighs quietly. He pretty much just called his first friend cute. He probably hates him now.

“You-you think I’m cute?” Jihoon says after a moment of silence.

“I’m sorry.”

“That doesn’t answer my question, stupid.”

“Yes, okay? Yes, I think you’re cute. You’re adorable. I’m sorry.”

“You’re stupid. Don’t say sorry. It makes you less cute.”

Soonyoung yelps as Jihoon flicks his forehead.

“Why?”

“Because.”

Soonyoung glares at his friend but lets his grudge go soon enough so the younger can lean on his shoulder.

Later that day, Jihoon visits Soonyoung’s house. Soonyoung’s mom smiles when they walk in.

“Hello! I’m Soonyoung’s mom!”

“Hi! I’m Lee Jihoon! It’s nice to meet you!”

Soonyoung leads his friend upstairs after hugging his mom. They sit down on his bed, side by side against the headboard.

“So,” Jihoon smiles oddly.

“What?”

“In your bed,” Jihoon wiggles his eyebrows jokingly.

“You are such a ert. Oh my god. Why am I friends with you. My god, you erted little ually active rabbit.”

Jihoon just laughs at Soonyoung’s horrified face. He bumps his friend’s shoulder. They end their little giggle fit and sit in a comfortable silence. Jihoon lays his head on Soonyoung’s shoulder. Soonyoung wraps an arm around him and they sit like that until they’re startled by Soonyoung’s mom’s sudden voice.

“Boys!”

“Yes mom?”

“I need to head for a plane, right now. I have a business meeting in China. Will you be okay alone for a week?”

Soonyoung ran downstairs, hugging his mom.

“I love you mom. Be safe in China. Remember to not go out too late. Stay safe, okay?”

“Love you too, honey.”

Jihoon appeared in the foyer behind them.

“Goodbye, Miss Kwon!” He waved.

“Goodbye Jihoon! I hope I can see you again!”

With that, Soonyoung’s mom got into the cab outside the house and left.

Later that night, Jihoon reappeared after heading home to grab pyjamas and toiletries. He offered to stay at Soonyoung’s the night for two reasons: He didn’t want Soonyoung to be too lonely, and because Soonyoung kept hinting at it. Soonyoung apologized for a lack of a spare bedroom. Jihoon tried to tell him he could sleep on the couch but Soonyoung wouldn’t have any of it. Soonyoung insisted he sleep in the bed.

“Just sleep in the bed! I’ll be fine on the couch!” Jihoon sighed.

“No.”

“Fine then. Let’s compromise, shall we?”

“Shoot.”

“We just *woah* sleep in the same bed?”

Soonyoung shrugged, but was internally shocked. Jihoon didn’t seem like the type of guy to want to sleep with someone. They sat down on the couch in the living room after agreeing on their compromise. They decide on Transformers for a movie and huddle under one blanket, eating slightly burnt popcorn, both of them stealing glances at the other occasionally. The movie ends and Jihoon has fallen asleep on Soonyoung’s shoulder. The older of the two just sighs, picking his friend up and carrying him to the bed. He decides that, since Jihoon isn’t awake to argue, he’ll sleep on the couch. He sets Jihoon down and pulls the covers up, taking a moment to appreciate his peaceful face, before turning to leave. He hears a raspy voice call his name.
“Stay?” Jihoon mumbles.

“Why?”

“Shut up.”

Soonyoung chuckles lightly and lets the other pull him over by his sleeve, tugging him down onto the bed beside him, where they both comfortably fell asleep.

Jihoon wakes up and realizes he likes Soonyoung.

He likes the way Soonyoung feels, arms wrapped around him, chest to chest at nine in the morning, keeping him warm and safe.

He likes the way Soonyoung smells, like vanilla, and maybe a bit of marshmallow, with a hint of raspberry.

He likes the way Soonyoung sounds, voice low and rough from lack of use, asking him to turn around so they can see each other.

He likes the way Soonyoung looks, hair unruly but still attractive, cheeks slightly flushed, eyes half closed.

He likes the way Soonyoung tastes, lips against his, for a sudden, amazing, entrancing kiss that neither of them expected, ending a little quicker than either of them liked when Soonyoung pulled away, stuttering apologies.

He liked Soonyoung. The only thing bugging him was that he was falling. He was falling hard and fast, and it wasn’t going to end soon.