The Curious case of the Missing Toothpaste

Between the Green Walls

                It was six in the morning, and the boys were scattered all over the place. It was the morning that they were promote their album on TheShow, and every member wanted to be prepared. Hoshi was  eating breakfast while creating a program for the next Andreomeda episode; Jun was drilling The8 on Korean vocabulary; Joshua was helping Jeonghan add conditioner to his hair (yet again); Woozi kept reciting the description of “Adore You” and “20”; Vernon and Dino were making their beds while arguing over who is a better artist: Michael Jackson or J Cole; DK was doing vocal exercises; Wonwoo and Mingyu were practicing lyrics; and S.Coups was checking and double-checking that everything was in order.

                “But Jackson’s lyrics were so superficial,” said Vernon as he tucked in the last sheet to his bed. “J Cole is way better because he has something to say.”

                “That’s not true. Michael Jackson always had something to say, and he is a better performer,” Dino argued. “And his music is way better. He writes his own music.”

                “And J Cole writes his own lyrics,” Vernon retorted. “But have you heard J Cole’s new album, though? The instrumentals are off the wall!”

                “Still think MJ is better.”

                “But you won’t even give J Cole a chance!”

                “You won’t give MJ a chance!”

                Their argument was cut short by DK’s outburst: “YOU GUYS. STOP. HAJIMA! both artists are good. Now, can’t you see I’m trying to sing a minor arpeggio here? I can’t even hear myself think with you two bickering!”

                “Sorry hyung,” Dino said.

                “Gweanchanha,” DK replied as he tried to sing a minor chord again.

DO, ME, SOL, DO, SOL, ME, DO,” He sang. “DO, ME, SOL, DO, SOL, ME, DO.”

Feeling proud of himself, DK proceeded to try and sing a diminished arpeggio:

“DO, ME, SE, DO, SE, ME, DO. DO, ME, SE, DO, SE, ME—“

GWAAAHAAH

Whoa,” said Vernon, “Hyung, you might want to work on that.”

“Wasn’t me,” said DK, “I’m almost positive that was Jeonghan hyung trying to sing.”

SAY WHAT?”

“I was joking, hyung. But jinjja I don’t know who that was.”

GAH! WAE!”

“There it is again!” said Joshua, suddenly ignoring Jeonghan’s hair. “Who is that?”

His question was answered almost immediately. The door to the bathroom slammed open, and out stormed a pissed-off Seungkwan.

“Oh, there you are!” cried S.Coups. “I’ve been looking all over, now are you—”

 “WHO DID IT?” Seungkwan yelled. He looked so upset that he could have spit the toothbrush he had in his hand.

I SAID. WHO DID IT?” Seungkwan repeated.

“Who did what, exactly?” Jun asked, trying to sound calm.

Seungkwan slowly and dramatically, lifted his arm so that every SEVENTEEN member could see his toothbrush: “Who….. stole… MY TOOTHPASTE?”

“Oh! Uh… That’s all?” Jun replied, trying to keep from laughing.

That’s all? That’s all? ‘That’s all,’ he says,” Seungkwan fumed through bitter laughter. “FOR THREE YEARS. THREE YEARS SOMEONE HAS BEEN USING MY TOOTHPASTE. AND I DON’T THINK SAMUEL WOULD TRAVEL TEN MILES AND BREAK THROUGH THE WINDOW JUST TO STEAL MY STRAWBERRY TOOTHPASTE,” Seungkwan said as he gestured pointedly to the hallway window. “So, I’ll ask one more time. WHO. DID. IT?”

“Wasn’t me,” Vernon said. “Why would I use that low quality toothpaste of yours?”

Low quality???? LOW QUALITY?? I’ll have you know that my toothpaste is the best quality.”

A sudden snort of laughter came from behind Seungkwan. He turned around to find Wonwoo and Mingyu dying of laughter on the floor.

Oh, so you think this is funny?”

“Ani,” gasped Mingyu. “It’s just—”

SO YOU DID IT.”

“No no, hajianhasseo. I didn’t do it.”

But you’re laughing—”

“Wait,” said S.Coups. It was getting late, and SEVENTEEN still wasn’t ready to go. “Who here has their own toothpaste?”

Everyone raised their hand. S.Coups went into the bathroom and counted the tubes of toothpaste, and then counted the numbers of members with their hands raised.

“That’s weird. There are twelve tubes of toothpaste, but all of you raised your hand.”

Everyone looked around, confused.  How could this be?!?!?

S.Coups surveyed the floor. “Is everyone here?”

“Nae….” said Jun, “Oh wait, no. Minghao was right here next to me, now he’s gone.”

Two seconds later, the sound of faucet water sounded in the upstairs bathroom. Then from the same bathroom, came the sound of someone reciting Korean vocabulary words: “Sa-mu-gwan. gyeong-gi-jang. Geo-li. Jej…. Je-jag….jejagja!”

Gasp It was The8!

Seungkwan’s face suddenly turned red.

HE’S GONNA GET IT,” Seungkwan yelled as he sprinted for the stairs. But when he got to the bathroom and swung the door open, Minghao wasn’t there. It was Joshua. And he didn’t have the toothpaste.

“W-what? Where’s Minghao?”

“Oh!” Joshua said, startled. “He’s not here.”

“But I heard someone practicing Korean…”

“That was me,” Josh replied. “I’m not an expert in Korean, you know.”

“Oh.”

Bewildered, Seungkwan walked out of the bathroom. As he neared the staircase, he passed a window. It was a sunny day. Seungkwan paused to look out the window… and saw something odd. There was a boy on the street running away from the building. He looked about thirteen years old. And he was holding a tube of toothpaste.