Happy Holidays, ohmymyelochi!

EunHae Holidays 2015

Title: Have e'er you heard of the pixies? (comes w/ the art) 

Your Giftee: ohmymyeolchi

Rating: G

Wordcount (if applicable): 1234 

Warnings (if applicable): -

Author/Artist’s note: Sorry that I couldn't write a whole story for you! Since I couldn't do it I tried to meet most of your requests with my drabbles. I hope you don't mind and I hope you like it! The art is for the pixie story, by the way!

 

 

When Donghae was a child, he loved the magic folk. More than all of them, though, he loved the pixies. The mischievous little creatures, with their clothes of ragged green had never failed to fill him with awe, his little childish mind wandering after them through the woods in murky daydreams.

 

He’d find himself sneaking out of his house’s back door and chasing after a flash of green that he’d taken for a playful pixie, only to return home dejected after losing the trail. And the next day, he’d do it all over again, just to catch a glimpse of a real pixie.

 

Like all childhood dreams his faded away, and he never thought of sparkling wings or pointed ears again till he was much older.

 

SPRING

 

The door is hanging wide open when Donghae arrives back home. What the hell? His mind flashes to thieves, robbers... murderers?

 

Honestly, what are the chances that a robber would find a cabin out in the middle of the woods and break into it? Wasn’t the whole point of renting a bunker in the middle of the woods to stay away from the city drama? How could a burglar even find this forsaken place, let alone break into it? He walks cautiously to the door and peeks in, hoping desperately that it was nothing, that the wind had blown it open.

 

It doesn’t seem disturbed or ransacked in any way, and the wallet he had left for anyone to see was untouched. (To be sure, he still goes to check inside it, but his money and cards are still there.) What kind of burglar breaks into a house and doesn’t take anything?

 

“Oh, you’re home!” Donghae looks up, preparing to attack the source of the sound.

 

Bare skin, bruised knees, wet limbs, a shock of red hair. Donghae doesn’t have a chance to cover his eyes before a body walks out of the bathroom and makes its way into his sight. Donghae yells in surprise, jumping away immediately.

 

“What the hell?” He gasps. The intruder has the nerve to grin at Donghae as if he hadn’t broken into his house.

 

The intruder walks over to him, turquoise wings spread out behind his back.

 

Wait. Wings? A pixie?

 

///

 

Donghae dreams that night of sparkling hair and flowery crowns and ragged clothes the colour of leaves in the spring, of pointed ears and glittery wings and of the pixies’ tinkling laughter echoing strangely through the woods. (A particular red-headed pixie’s face is familiar but he flits away, into the shadows before Donghae gets a good look.)

 

He wakes up to the smell of flowers wafting through the bunker. He has a nice breakfast, with fruits and jam, and a foamy cup of hot chocolate. He doesn’t even realise his lights aren’t on, with all the natural sunlight streaming in through the curtains. Now this is actual peace and quiet. A good day without mosquitoes buzzing around making him itch, without pixies––

 

Until he opened the door.

 

What the hell? Donghae hears the slish-slosh of legs dropping into muddy water before he feels the sudden wetness. Water flooded every inch of the garden outside, drowning the painstakingly placed plants.

 

He looks around the place for a culprit and just manages to catch a glimpse of glittering turquoise wings before they disappear out of sight.

 

SUMMER

 

Pixies, Donghae soon learns, are much better in theory. At least, this one is.

 

He calls himself Eunhyuk. Donghae calls him off and never come back again.

 

Ever since the day Donghae had chased him out of the house, Eunhyuk seems to have made it his lifelong passion to prank Donghae to the death. But honestly, who randomly walks into someone else’s house to take a shower, and when confronted asks why the owner’s hair is blue?

 

Of all the piles of books of pixie lore that he’d read when he was younger, none mentioned how annoying the pixies can be. Or how long they hold on to grudges, for that matter.

 

Day 36 of hell, Donghae wakes up with bees swarming his house. The pixie flits out of sight as he always does, fading away in the light just before Donghae can confirm who it is.

 

Pixies are definitely cooler in theory.

 

AUTUMN/FALL

 

“I swear, I meant no harm, sir!” The pixie’s face is a mask of innocence. He has a million excuses, like i didn’t know how much water plants needed! and i thought humans liked honey? but his apology (that comes all the way at the end of the excuses) seems sincere enough.

 

The minute he’s forgiven, the pixie’s face breaks into a child-like smile. Donghae swears his heart has melted.

 

It’s surprisingly easy to get along with Eunhyuk after they clear up the miscommunication(s). A pixie is a pixie is a pixie, and Donghae is predictably awestruck.

 

The pixie is like a star; bright and blinding and beautiful and celestial. And far, far off. His pointed ears are that of an elf, his wings are those of the faer, his mischief that of imps, and he himself is of the myths and tales that Donghae used to read of in his books. Some nights the pixie steals into his house and sits next to him on the bed, and still Donghae feels like they’re worlds apart.

 

One night he asks, “Why do you call me sir?” And the pixie asks in return, “Isn’t it polite?” And Donghae says, “You’re strange.” Eunhyuk only shrugs.

 

Another night they kiss, and Eunhyuk’s lips taste like strawberries and apples and Donghae’s black coffee. Donghae locks their lips as long as he can because it feels like once this is over Eunhyuk will be gone. They end their kiss, and Eunhyuk is still there, perfectly built and glowing and still grinning his impish grin. Donghae closes his eyes and Eunhyuk is still there, wings still and closed behind his back, ears alert like always.

 

Donghae learns after a while that Eunhyuk won’t disappear, because Eunhyuk isn’t a story, isn’t a childish fantasy, because even though he is beautiful like the stars he is closer and even though sometimes Donghae feels like he can see right through Eunhyuk he is not mist. And also that kisses make Eunhyuk even less reluctant to stay.

 

WINTER

 

Eunhyuk ponders for a while when Donghae asks, “Have you had lovers before?” Donghae waits for the answer while convincing himself he wasn’t nervous.

 

The reply is a shrug and the comforting feeling of wings wrapping around him. Eunhyuk pecks him on the lips, but that’s the end of the answer.

 

Eunhyuk tells him maybe the pixies got it all wrong. Donghae listens with wonder at tales Eunhyuk tell, of pixies that could never get souls because they never understood love, of pixies that fell in love by accident and got souls…

 

He thinks he understands what the answer is, but it still feels good when Hyukjae says “None that I’ve loved until I met you, really.”

 

When Donghae leaves to return to the city, Eunhyuk doesn’t cry.

 

Donghae still dreams of sparkling wings, and impish grins, and pixies. Just one pixie, particularly.

 

But Eunhyuk isn’t a dream, and he isn’t a fantasy. Donghae is reminded of that when he finds pixie dust in his hair and on his clothes, and then a green clad pixie in his bed.

 

 


 

Title: Lights, camera friendship!   

Your Giftee: ohmymyeolchi

Rating: G

Wordcount (if applicable): 1065 

Warnings (if applicable): -

Author/Artist’s note: Sorry that I couldn't write a whole story for you! Since I couldn't do it I tried to meet most of your requests with my drabbles. I hope you don't mind and I hope you like it! The art is for the pixie story, by the way!

 

If a friendship starts with a bow, how does it end?

 

“Good morning!” Hyukjae doesn’t have time to take a good look at the face of whoever it is before they bow 90 degrees to him. Wow. Well, if he’s honest about it, it sure is a nice change to not be the one bowing for once. He, in turn, inclines his head slightly the way he’d seen seniors do before when they don’t want to be too rude but also want to assert dominance over their juniors.

 

The sudden sign of respect would’ve been enough to make him happy for the whole day, but then the boy looks up. Woah.

 

Hyukjae’s looking into a pair of eyes; wide, round, twinkling, glistening, sparkling eyes. How old is this kid? He barely even looks 12, with those huge eyes and soft cheeks.

 

“My name is Lee Donghae, nice to meet you!”

 

Hyukjae swears he’s gonna take care of this kid for the rest of his life.

 

 

If a friendship starts with a bow, does it end with… a handshake?

 

Hyukjae can’t believe this is actually happening. What even is a “rotation group”? He looks around the room and sees the same confusion and shock mirrored on all the boys’ faces.

 

Hyukjae’s lips set into a hard line. If he’s going to have to fight to have a chance of debut, then he’ll make sure he’s the last one standing. Everyone looks at each other uncertainly.

 

Donghae’s hands slowly extend towards him. “Looks like we’re rivals now.” His eyes are gloomy, body shakes, eyes plead for something Hyukjae couldn’t name.

 

Hyukjae looks into the wide eyes sparkling with tears and thinks no, no way i could ever go against you but he smiles and nods and says “Yeah, I guess we are.” When he takes Donghae’s hands the touch is icy cold.

 

They sleep that night in each other’s arms, each silently and desperately begging for the other to make it right. But neither of them say anything, and they listen to the sounds of fear and unspoken words and promises that couldn’t be made until they drift off.

 

 

Sometimes Donghae will barge into Hyukjae’s room in the middle of the night, whimpering about bad dreams and not being able to sleep. Hyukjae then grumbles, groans, complains, and lets him onto his bed anyway. Even then Donghae can’t sleep and Hyukjae talks about whatever comes to his mind until Donghae’s breathing slows and he nods off.

 

 

“If a friendship starts with a bow, how does it end?” Hyukjae asks Donghae one day.

 

“With a backflip,” Donghae replies. Cue laughter.

 

They soon realise that the world is against them and they’re not meant to succeed, listen to the reassurances of their superiors saying “You’re doing well!” and hear “You’re not making it past this year”, see their paychecks and think pension funds.

 

But they do make it, and Hyukjae laces his fingers with Donghae’s, and sometimes he doesn’t have nightmares and sometimes Donghae can sleep without talking half the night away first. Donghae’s touch feels no longer like a harsh winter, but more like a gentle breeze. 

 

 

If a friendship starts with a bow, does it end with a salute?

 

Hyukjae doesn’t protest as much as expected when Donghae announces his enlistment date. Hell, he doesn’t even protest as much as the other members do.

 

“So you’re okay with this?” Donghae asks uncertainly. Hyukjae’s sometimes quiet about his feelings, and who knows that better than Donghae does? It just feels strange that for once, those feelings are kept hidden away from even Donghae.

 

Hyukjae shrugs and grins up at him. “It’s not really up to me to decide what you do, right? Besides, I know you chose that date only because you don’t wanna be away from me for too long.” Hyukjae’s voice has a joking edge to it. Donghae laughs and rolls his eyes. When did this guy get so arrogant?

 

The days leading up to enlistment are strange. They’re going to be apart for so long, but while they’re still together it doesn’t feel quite like friendship. Hyukjae desperately chases the words “business partners” out of his mind.

 

“Winter love”, the song is called. It’s sure to bring the fans to tears. Hyukjae sings and raps his heart out in the recording studio and doesn’t feel a thing. The distance between him and his best friend grows, as if Donghae was taking steps away from him already.

 

They get drunk that night, the first time in months. The feeling of insobriety is the same every time, and Hyukjae thinks at least that’s one constant in his life. Donghae chugs a huge mug of beer and surprisingly doesn’t gag. Hyukjae wants to say a hundred different things, so he settles on one and his drunken lips slur out what vaguely sounds like “I’ll miss you”.

 

Donghae is in tears for some reason and rambles about their trainee days. A half asleep Hyukjae joins in on the reminiscing, recalling their past with slurred words and barely open eyes. It’s good to remember, because when the hazy screens of the past, of their debut stage and their first concert and their first tour and so many firsts, float through their minds, they forget the present. Hyukjae swears he could live like that for a while, slobbering on his best friend’s shirt and blissfully drunk.

 

Enlistment arrives suddenly, just like all bad things do. Salute! (good bye best friend)

 

When they’re especially lucky, they get breaks on the same day. Hyukjae takes Donghae’s warm hands and drag him off to karaoke without the other members.

 

Donghae hasn’t changed as far as Hyukjae can tell, because when Hyukjae passes him a bottle of water, it still gets rammed into Donghae’s mouth without being opened. Honestly.

 

They choose one of their songs (they miss performing, sue them) to sing. If they close their eyes they can pretend they’re on a stage and convert the whooshing of the air conditioner to the screaming of fans.

 

If a friendship starts with a bow, how does it end?

 

Does it have to end? Hyukjae thinks they’ll be perfectly fine like this, eyes wide and full of wonder, shining under the brilliant stage lights, kings and commanders of the stage that they built from the ground up, squeezing tight against the other’s sweaty palms, and together.

 

 


Title: All grown up, aren't we?  

Your Giftee: ohmymyeolchi

Rating: G

Wordcount (if applicable): 580 

Warnings (if applicable): -

Author/Artist’s note: Sorry that I couldn't write a whole story for you! Since I couldn't do it I tried to meet most of your requests with my drabbles. I hope you don't mind and I hope you like it! The art is for the pixie story, by the way!

 

They say teenage romance is born quickly and dies quickly.

 

It is smiles and kisses and uncertainty, uncertainty like what are we even doing? and where’re we going with this? hidden in the upturning corners of their mouths and in the dried ink of flirty notes sent flying in class with a bit of magic. Donghae let himself be kissed by the other, then, breathing in the scent of strawberry from his lips. He gives Donghae presents and afternoon surprise hugs and stole Donghae’s uniform (Donghae did try to tell him yellow didn’t suit him, but he was never good at listening), and together they pretended it would be forever. That was, really, all there was to it. Everyone breaks up in the end, declaring hatred or peacefully parting ways or even through duels in the hidden parts of Hogwarts. Romance at that age is really that, wanting to be loved and wanting to love without wanting the person they locked lips with. Who said wizards had any sense when it came to love?

 

They say it’s over before it’s even begun.

 

Then why does Donghae still descend the stairs on the tip of his toes, torch in hand, headed for the dungeons in deathly silence? Why does his breath still hitch, heart still skip a beat, as he cautiously pushes open the door? Why does his face still break into a smile at the sight of the person who sits at the table, waiting for him?

 

///

 

The house of Slytherin and Gryffindor had never really gotten along. It was a tension backed up by a long history, and very well known. But historically, the house of Slytherin had never gotten along with any of the Hogwarts houses, even Hufflepuff. (As the head of Hufflepuff house, Donghae could definitely see that.)

 

Donghae learned to avoid them since his first year at the school, the same way a child learns to avoid snakes because they’re poisonous (but with Slytherin, it really was the same thing).

 

The potions classroom always holds the same familiar scents of herbs and oils. And the sour-sweet smell of fresh strawberry. He likes it, they say to each other knowingly. There’s not much else they know about him, Donghae observes.

 

He’s a genius, they say. One of the best potions masters in the land. The young head of Slytherin house is what people would call reclusive. Still, as potions master he was well-loved, a first ever since Professor Slughorn’s (second) retirement.

 

Donghae won’t say it aloud, but he really hates Professor Lee. (For sharing his name, for being a slytherin, for being his size, for those intense eyes and that gummy smile, for being so hot he nearly melted every time he saw him, for being so infuriatingly arrogant)

 

 

///

 

The soft yellow light of the candle flame illuminates Hyukjae’s grinning face. He doesn’t say anything as he walks steadily over to the Donghae.

 

“Sorry I’m late,” Donghae whispers. He pretends not to notice Hyukjae’s fingers working quickly to unfasten his faint yellow cloak and wrapping it around himself.

 

“I thought you’d never come,” Hyukjae says.

 

Donghae plants a kiss on his lover’s cheek, and chuckles internally at how chaste the action was. It feels almost as if they’re back to being students in this old castle, still inexperienced and new to everything. Hyukjae blushes like he used to back then before sitting him down on the worn out couch.

 

“Yellow is not your colour,” Donghae tells him.