Happy Holidays, Naru!

EunHae Holidays 2015
Title: Octos and the Angry Anchovy Man
Author: [redacted]
Your Giftee: Naru
Rating: PG-13
Wordcount: 6,006
Warnings (if applicable): Swearing, mentions of
Author/Artist’s note: Because this Donghae still has an intense Mokpo accent, I gave him a very strong American Southern accent for the purposes of this fic. Some of the terms may sound funny if you aren’t very familiar with that dialect, so read them all together sort of muffled and you might be able to figure it out better. Just a caveat: I’m a Midwesterner, and most of the folks in my life that speak this way are from the Kentucky/Tennessee/Indiana area, not Texas or Louisiana or Georgia. If you think I have misrepresented your accent, feel free to leave a comment or contact the gift exchange moderators so that your feedback can get back to me.
 

 

 

Looking idly at the clock on the library wall, Hyukjae started when he saw that it was nearly four in the morning. Again. Dragging the heels of his palms across his eyes, he sighed as he debated skipping his 8:30 lecture in favor of a few more moments of sleep. He hadn’t bothered going all semester and he was surprised he was still registered in that course. It was too late to drop it so he had resigned himself to another F on his transcript; it wasn’t like he was all that great a student, to begin with, anyway.

He had stayed up most of the night for the fourth night in a row working on his paper for his latest elective, World Perspectives on Human ual Diversity. Dr. Jung’s class was much drier than he thought it would be. Instead of debating the finer differences between domestic and Japanese , he was stuck trying to follow along with the terminology thrown around the classroom between the professor and the rest of the students with apparent ease. How was he supposed to know that a class supposedly all about was just going to be another boring lecture class, with readings and papers and projects and presentations and a grading curve? He should have listened to Junsu when his friend tried to get him to enroll in Intro to Film Appreciation instead. Junsu kept on bragging that Dr. Park even brought snacks to their class when they watched movies.

This paper on Innis Beag wasn’t getting any better, he finally decided. He thought it must just be his fate that Dr. Jung had taken one look at him and assigned him to write about an entire society of prudes. Everyone else got cooler topics: homouality during the Islamic Golden Age, violence against South Asian Hijra workers, hell, even Nickhun got to write about the bastards of the Medieval Popes! And what did he get? He had to write about the most ually repressed society on earth. There’s no such thing as justice in the universe, apparently.

Steadying himself after standing too quickly, Hyukjae felt his blood pressure crash into the soles of his feet after another day of minimal eating. He waited for his eyes to uncross while cursing to himself at his luck. How was he supposed to know that Hyoyeon had been the Teacher’s Assistant and not just another classmate? So he had asked for her number. What was the big deal? And now Dr. Jung always glared at him whenever he tried to speak up in class. Besides, people date their teachers all the time, yet somehow TAs are off-limits? He finally decided that he must have been a murderer in a past life to deserve such cruelty in what he hoped would shape to be his final year of university.

Hyukjae was a super senior, well into his 9th semester of undergrad. With a little better luck, he was supposed to graduate in three months. The way things were going now, though, he was already preparing to force Junsu to stay his roommate for another year. His best friend had taken a year between high school and university to “find himself,” as he put it, yet they were now in the same class again. He knew in his heart of hearts that he’d never be able to live it down.

All these thoughts abruptly blanked the moment he felt himself knocked into from behind. Grunting in irritation, Hyukjae spun around to chew out however was rude enough to interrupt his internal monologue of complaints when he heard the soft southern accept of the offender.

“Sorry ‘bout that! Most folks are outta here by this time, though. Wasn’t ‘xpecting someone to be standin’ idly right in front of the reference catalogue on Mollusca, y’know?” A lightly-tanned hand extended beyond the stack of books in the man’s arms. “Nice to meet a fellow sea-creature enthusiast—I’m Donghae—unless of course ya prefer the more terrestrial snails and slugs and whatnot, those’re cool too, I guess. But e’en better than octos are fish, man. Don’tcha ‘gree?”

Staring in confusion as the tirade of words continued, Hyukjae finally interrupted his verbal assailant. “I actually don’t like snails or slugs or anything. They’re creepy and slimy. And gross. And what the flying are octos?”

The stack of books finally set down onto the carpet, the face of a librarian too peppy for nearly five am was now in full view. Thin lips, messy hair that looked expertly dyed, and eyes far too awake considering the time, the man seemed like a fish in his own right, flopping around in his excitement over squid and completely unphased by the crudeness or volume of Hyukjae’s words.

“Octos! Octopi, I guess. Octos just sounds cooler, ‘kay? Squid are pretty great too. Oh! And cuttlefish. They aren’t too bad ta eat, either. It’s okay to not like snails, but it’s weird you’re standing righ’ here then. No one else would be starin’ atta shelf of zoology books like that if they weren’t gonna look through ‘em. ‘Though with your expression, I jus’ hope you don’t start a bonfire with them or anything. Way too ‘xpensive to replace encyclopedia sets like that.”

Ignoring the growing irritation rising through the back of his head, Hyukjae ran his eyes over the other man once more. Probably rich but maybe just dumb to spend that much on his hair, he decided. Its lack of style led him to believe that it was probably the later, since every chaebol he’d had the misfortune of meeting at school had been too self-absorbed to do anything as uncool as a work-study job on campus. They all had internships and unlimited credit cards to spend on their hearts’ desires. And they certainly wouldn't be willing to work through the night in the campus library.

“How much does this pay?” Hyukjae gestured around them. “Shelving and whatnot. What kind of money do you make doing this?” If he was going to be stuck at university for several more months at the least, he might as well get something out of it. Other than an education, of course.

Donghae wrinkled his nose before bursting out with a peal of laughter. “I don’t work here! I’m just on my way ta check alla these out,” he laughed, indicating the large stack of books now resting by his feet. Looking closer, Hyukjae could see that they were an odd assortment of graphic novels, young adult fiction, and a few zoology picture books written for children. “My hyung’s kids always insist on story time whenever I have ta watch ‘em, so it’s just easier to check these out than tryin’ to buy out a bookstore or anythin’.”

Hyukjae blew out a long whistle. Perhaps he’d been too quick to judge the slightly shorter man before him. Donghae finally stopped chuckling at himself and tilted his head at Hyukjae. “Why am I the one doin’ all the talking here? You haven’t e’en told me your name or why you wandered over to the reference section when ya ain’t even interested in animals.”

“Am too! I mean, I am interested in animals. I just don’t like gross or creepy animals. I used to have a dog, actually. Her name was Choco.” At that, Donghae’s eyes lit up. “Really? I like dogs too. Mine are back home right now, though. Bada and Mio are like my children at this point.” After sharing a wide smile, Donghae asked, “But seriously. What’s your name? I can’t just keep thinkin’ of ya as ‘Angry Anchovy Man’ in my head, ‘less that’s whatcha really want, I mean. But I kinda hope ya don’t I guess, ‘cause that’d be a li’l weird.”

At that, Hyukjae scrunched his face in confusion. “Are you serious? ‘Angry Anchovy Man?’ Isn’t that a bit unwieldy to think? And I’m not angry, just tired and frustrated at the stupid paper I’ve spent all night working on. I didn’t even mean to stand here, I was planning on going back to my room for some sleep.”

“Oh my goodness, I’m sorry! Of course, sleep’s really important for sure. I’ve just been here yakking your ear off an’ didn’t even notice that ya’re tryin’ to leave. Be sure to get some rest, then.” Hyukjae let out a short laugh at Donghae’s concern. The man’s flailing hands and wide eyes really were rather too animated for this time of day, but he found himself minding it less and less. It was just starting to feel like a part of Donghae’s personality that he found oddly charming. He would have probably punched anyone else that chipper by now, but Hyukjae only now felt his sleep deprivation catching up to him as Donghae was trying to rush him out of the nearly-empty library.

Trying to stall so that he could better process the puzzle that was his new companion, he offered to help carry some of the load Donghae was bringing up to the checkout counter, since “It’s on the way out anyway.” Truthfully, he found Donghae’s energy refreshing. Perhaps he would be able to go to class for once, after all. He owed it to himself to at least check out the class he kept skipping so he could decide with confidence whether or not it was worth the effort to drag himself into a classroom at such an ungodly hour.

They walked all the way to Donghae’s small hatchback in companionable silence as the autumn air pressed against their bodies and sent them huddling into their respective armfuls of books. A brief gust of wind knocked some leaves down and a small maple leaf landed directly onto Hyukjae’s beanie. Donghae’s crooked grin was so infectious that Hyukjae found his own mouth opening into a grin across lips and showcasing his gums. Soon enough, they were laughing together at nothing at all in the wash of false-dawn descending upon the campus. They loaded the books into the trunk of Donghae’s car and Hyukjae stepped back to wave at the shorter man as he drove off. With a light step, he hummed his way back to his apartment.

 

-

 


The lecture hall was barely half-filled, probably a result of too many students like Hyukjae that were simply trying to skate through their time in university before getting a dead-end office job and living out the rest of their lives in quiet desperation. He’d read that phrase somewhere and now tried to think it to himself as often as possible. Huffing out a breath before landing less-than-gracefully into a rickety seat, Hyukjae pulled out a notebook in anticipation for the lesson to come. To be honest, Hyukjae wasn’t really sure what this class was supposed to be covering. He had signed up for his classes with the help of a tutor last year, so he was pretty sure this was one that Jiyeon must have picked out for him. All of his choices had been for classes that began after noon and promised to grade more forgivingly.

Hyukjae dragged a hand through his hair as he looked around. This was probably a class that he needed to take in order to graduate on time, but no one looked particularly studious. There were a group of girls surrounding someone who was chatting loudly about their date from last night who had apparently smelled like soju before he even arrived; a guy he knew to be an underclassman in the front row, playing on his computer instead of setting up his notes; a couple making out furiously in the corner, oblivious to all the hoots they received from the rowdier group of young men in the back; and a few others spread out who looked like they were planning how to sit in order to disguise their napping.

Feeling someone thump down into the seat next to him, Hyukjae turned around to glare at the fool who had decided to talk to him at 8 in the morning. Instead, his jaw hung open as all of his insults died on his tongue. It was Donghae. The bubbly energy emanating off of his person was unmistakable.

“G’Morning! Long time no see, am I right? I didn’t know you were in this class. Haven’t seen you ‘round here b’fore.” Choking his tongue back into usefulness, Hyukjae grunted and shrugged. “It’s too early. I think it should be ing illegal to teach things so early, you know? I ing hate early mornings. They’re ed. Just totally ing useless.” He found himself pouting rather childishly, earning him another laugh from the other man. Feeling his self-consciousness rising through his cheeks, he managed to get out a quick sigh before asking, “What’s so funny now? I swear you are always talking or laughing. How do you even have so much goddamn energy all the time?” Donghae threw his head back and shook it to calm down.

Throwing his bangs out of his face, he shifted to face Hyukjae better. “Well for one, Mr. Angry Anchovy Man, ya seem to need a better vocabulary. And two, in case you didn’t notice, this ain’t a class. There ain’t e’en a professor ‘nhere. This is one of those additional semi-mandatory study periods for students that’re strugglin’ with their classes and whatnot. Once a week, there’re some tutors that come ta help us out on our projects, but all the other days’re dedicated to individual work. They’ve only ever bothered ta check ‘ttendance once or twice, I think. You don’t really have to be here if you don’t wanna, it’s not like you’re gonna miss anythin’.”

Hyukjae slammed his face into his desk so hard he absently worried if he would damage his nose. “Great. Just great. This can’t be real. This can’t be happening, for ’s sake.” Hyukjae 0, the Universe 1. And the sun had only been up for just over an hour. “Look on the bright side, Angry Man.  You can’t fail this course e’en if you tried. There’s nothin’ to get worked up o’er.”

Turning his head on his desk to face Donghae, Hyukjae tried his best to glare. “It’s ‘Angry Anchovy Man,’ not just ‘Angry Man.’ I mean, you can’t give people a nickname you won’t even commit to.” Almost as if an afterthought, he coughed, “That’d be some straight-up bull.” The younger man just tilted his head in acknowledgement. “So I still don’t get your name, huh?”

Blinking in confusion, Hyukjae stared at the suddenly serious look on Donghae’s face. Feeling his mind grow blank from the intense gaze, he instead dropped his head again and quipped, “You’re the one that keeps insisting on talking. You can call me whatever you want as long as you let me sleep.” After a short sigh, Donghae practically shouted, “suuuuuuit yoooooooourseeeeeeeelf!” And in sing-song no less. Hyukjae wasn’t sure if his ears were bleeding or if that itchy sensation was just the remaining scraps of his sanity exiting the building. From the attention he could feel crawling all over his skin, he determined that everyone else in the room was wondering the same thing.

“Thank you for that. Has anyone ever told you that you’ve a natural gift for lullabies?” The snort from Donghae told him that his words lacked enough of the bite he’d hope to convey. All the other students shifted back into their conversations as Donghae laid his head down to face Hyukjae head-on. “My hyung Donghwa used ta beat me up for bein’ too loud. Joke’s on him, though, ‘cause everyone else in the family’s the same way. Kinda makes you wonder how he survives, living with sister-in-law and the kids an’ all. I think that’s why he’s always beggin’ me to watch ‘em for a few hours.” His large round eyes bore into Hyukjae’s without any self-consciousness. The older male wondered absently if he had any shame at all.

“You have nice eyes.” A look of confusion bloomed across Donghae’s features and it was several seconds before Hyukjae realized that he’d been the one to say that. Hiding his face in the crook of his arm to keep from having to deal with the increasing awkwardness, Hyukjae did his best to suppress a blush. Perhaps if he concentrated hard enough, the ground would open up and swallow him whole. No more paper, no more dirty looks from Hyoyeon, and definitely no more of those happy twin brown pools he’d found himself diving into whenever Donghae was around. Nope. This year was unsalvageable.

“Uh, thanks? I’m pretty sure they’re mad puffy right now consid’ring how li’l sleep I got last night. And the ramyun I ate for dinner probably doesn’t help either, right?” A quick chuckle burst out of the younger male as he sat staring at Hyukjae. “Though I do have ta say, that line’s a bit overplayed. If you’re goin’ to compliment me on anythin’, a’least be more creative ‘bout it.”

Inhaling deeply and steeling his nerves, Hyukjae sat back up and tried to school his face into an appropriate expression. “You also have killer calves. Do you work out every day or something? It’s kind of ridiculous, actually.” There. That had to be a unique thing to say. Right?

Hyukjae decided to look at his hands. He had to admit that he wasn’t the most suave guy on earth, but surely someone out there could appreciate him. If he was honest with himself, there was something about Donghae that seemed comfortable in a way that none of his previous partners had ever been. Boa was too much like his older sister Sora, Chil-hyun had been too old, Jieun had been too young, and Sungmin was much better as a friend than a lover. Donghae had a lightness to him, a simple charm that was one of Hyukjae’s biggest weaknesses. He had already struck out with Hyoyeon this week. He’d be damned if he had a repeat performance before it was even noon.

Donghae righted himself and shifted to scratch the back of his neck self-consciously, drawing Hyukjae’s attention back to the present. “After a fashion, I s’pose. I don’t really hit the gym often but I do coach my nephew’s football team an’ we ‘ave practice ‘bout four nights a week. I also like a good pick-up game whenever I can fit it inta my schedule. I’m a rubbish goalie, though, just so’s you know.”

“Is that why you’re in this study hall or whatnot then? I mean, it just seems like all you do is take care of your brother’s kids. Doesn’t it get tiring?” Wincing to himself, Hyukjae had to stop his hand from flying across his own face. Idiot. Donghae’s pained expression only worsened his guilt. “Sorry. I guess I’m not really a people person, little growing people least of all. Honestly, it’s just really ing impressive that you can stand it.”

“Does it really seem that way?” Hyukjae blinked. He could have sworn that there were tears forming in those expressive brown eyes staring back at him. “I’m sorry I’m such a mushy uncle that likes ta hang out with my relatives. I betcha don’t e’en know what it feels like to have a family ya love ta come home to each night.”

He heard the gasp as Donghae was the one to bite his tongue this time. “You’re right, actually. I don’t know what that would feel like. My noona and I were foster kids that kept getting shuffled around from family to family until we both finally aged out of the system. We were fairly close growing up since we were all that the other had, but that sort of dependence builds up resentment after a while. We haven’t talked in a few years now, not since my high school graduation ceremony. I’m not even all that sure where she’s living these days. Junsu’s pretty much my only ing support at this point.”

Donghae sat silent for the first time since Hyukjae had met him earlier that morning. Just as the older male turned to put his stuff away and prepared to storm out of the room, he felt a hand on his forearm.

“I didn’t mean ta… Tha’ was uncalled for on my part, ’m sorry. I shouldn’ta said that.” Shoving Donghae away, Hyukjae stood up and grabbed his backpack. “No, you should have. I’m just an ‘Angry Anchovy Man’ with no vocabulary and no family, after all.” With that he left as fast as he could from the lecture hall.

 

-

 


Midnight came and went. A fourth mug of coffee lay cold and abandoned as Hyukjae stared at his laptop monitor. He hated doing homework in his room since it always led to him fighting with Junsu, but he was too upset to return to the library and risk running into Donghae again. He knew that he had overreacted to the other man’s comments, hell, he even knew that he had been out line to begin with, but he didn’t have the energy to apologize. His paper was finally becoming useful as he channeled his frustration into his analysis of the uptight Irish community he’d been assigned. Dr. Jung still had a bone to pick with him, but he was finding more and more creative ways to comment on the population of Innis Beag and was slowly wondering if perhaps his professor had known that he could live up to this assignment after all.

Finishing his conclusion paragraph, Hyukjae was too tired to proofread it for mistakes. Whooping over his modest victory soon shifted to a full-scale dance straight into the living room that subsequently led Junsu to throw a pillow at his roommate and shout a few obscenities his way. Apparently Junsu’s imaginary girlfriend wasn’t exactly imaginary. Huh. Filing that revelation away for later, Hyukjae waved to the pair before returning to his bedroom. He had at least another five hours before his first class of the day. Eight if he wanted to keep avoiding Donghae. Maybe he could get a full night’s sleep for the first time all semester. Hyukjae 1, Universe 1.

 

-

 


 

If only it had been that easy. Junsu’s no-longer-imaginary girlfriend was making her presence far too known for Hyukjae to sleep. He loved his best friend and was happy for him whenever he got laid, he just didn’t want to hear how it went in real time. Toeing off the covers and grabbing his jacket, he bolted out of the apartment with as much grace as he could while wearing the house shoes left behind by last boyfriend after their breakup. Hurling them at the closed door to the apartment he shared with his best friend, Hyukjae realized that he would have to risk going back in and grabbing his boots or he would have to stay in his pink slippers for the rest of the day. Or he could go barefoot. Shooting another disgusted look at his apartment, he turned to walk down the hallway. Sungmin’s slippers be damned, he was getting himself out of there even if it meant he’d never see Junsu again. Judging by the noises imprinted on the inside of his skull, his best friend wouldn’t even notice his absence for quite some time. Typical Junsu.

Hyukjae shuffled out of the apartment complex and headed over to the local coffee shop. Due to their proximity to a large campus, the surrounding businesses had all decided to implement adjusted hours to accommodate the hordes of students that wanted a macchiato, grilled pork belly, or even pizza at all times. Even so, he idly worried that they may have closed. He had left in such a hurry that he hadn’t brought his phone. It was still dark out, but that didn’t mean much.

It was just opening as he rounded the corner. Hyukjae 2, Universe 1. He sat down in order to rifle through his pockets and realized that he had also forgotten his wallet. At least he still had his house keys. He would have to go back eventually, so he decided to rest until he felt safe returning to his bed. Attending class was simply not going to happen today at this rate.

“I betcha could start a new fashion trend with them fuzzy things growin’ on your feet. Right stylish, ya’re here.” Looking up at the unexpected voice, Hyukjae didn’t have enough time to scowl before meeting Donghae’s eyes. He’d probably left his mouth hanging open like a but currently Hyukjae was too surprised to care. The man who probably made the sun jealous with his bright, crooked smile and likely barfed out rainbows looked… Well, honestly, he looked defeated. Two minutes ago, Hyukjae could have told you with absolute confidence that Donghae was incapable of looking serious if his life depended on it. Now, however, he be forced to choke on those words.

 Donghae sank down to join Hyukjae at his booth, the taller man unconsciously scooting over to make room for them both on the seat. “I’m sorry for what I said t’you yesterday. It was uncalled for and completely unfair. Lotsa people’re perfec’ly happy t’be without children in their lives, I get that. Really I do. I shouldn’ta said anything ‘bout your family without e’en knowing about your background an’ whatnot. I’s being petty and didn’t stop to think ‘bout the weight my words’d have. Can ya forgive me for being an absolute ?”

Hyukjae huffed out a sharp exhale and smiled. “Only if you forgive me too. I was being also being an absolute , as you said, and it wasn’t right for me to unleash my bitterness at you. I really admire your dedication to your family and I wish that I had grown up with something like that in my life. I can’t even guess what it would be like to live with Sora noona again at this point. You clearly love your brother’s kids and it’s not fair to attack you for having happiness in your life.” At this point, Donghae’s expression lightened as both men found themselves sharing a gentle smile.

“Who knew ya did have a vocabulary beyond curse words, after all?” Hyukjae threw a light punch at Donghae’s closest shoulder. “You ing little . You’re the one with the weird accent. And why are you even here right now? Don’t tell me you live around here.”

Donghae jumped a little, as if suddenly remembering something. “I’m picking up breakfast, actually. I gotta walk my niblings to school. Also, yes, we do live ‘round here, matter of fact. I should prob’ly get going then. Maybe I’ll see ya around since we’re nearly neighbors.” Hyukjae looked down at his empty hands and remembered his forgotten wallet. “I should probably go too before they demand that I buy something. I’ve been here a bit too long to get away with walking out empty-handed at this point.”

“Are you askin’ me to buy you somethin’, Mr. Angry Anchovy Man?” The miser in Hyukjae had him looking up before he fully knew what he was doing. “Are you seriously offering? Never ing joke about food, alright? That’s some serious goddamn .” Wrinkling his nose in mock disgust, Donghae swatted at the air in front of his face. “I sure hope not. Donghwa’d surely kill me if I fed somethin’ cruel’s that ta his precious children. Sister-in-law, maybe, but definitely not his kids. Makes ya feel pretty bad for noona, right?”

Donghae continued babbling away about all of Donghwa’s eccentricities as he walked to the counter. Hyukjae awkwardly followed him, still unsure about whether or not the offer of food was sincere and too cheap to risk it. He’d go to the ends of the earth for free food. “You’ve been talking about your family so much I feel like I know them better than I know you.” The interruption barely phased Donghae as he smoothly ended his ice cream cake story to instead ask, “Wanna come with me and meet ‘em for yourself, then? Not hyung or sister-in-law, since they’re probably off on their way to work by now, butcha coul’ come see my li’l bundles of joy a’least.”

“Are you sure they’re your brother’s kids? I feel like you’re too mothering proud to be just an uncle.” The shorter male clutched at his chest dramatically at Hyukjae’s words. “Just an uncle? Just? How ya wound me, you Angry Fish-of-a-Man.” The teasing smirk across his face lessened the impact of the outburst and Hyukjae didn’t bother to apologize. “Angry Anchovy Man. You gave it to me, so at least get it right.” Laughing and slapping at each other, they quipped all the way through ordering their meal. The barista finally rolled their eyes and shooed them away with a grunted out “—seriously not paid enough for this—” and a few flicks of the wrist.

 

-

 

 

Arriving at the Lee residence felt far more like coming home than Hyukjae found comfortable. The small house looked humble, but he knew instinctually that an old-style home like that was definitely worth some serious money. Maybe his initial impressions of Donghae weren’t so far off the mark. Sure, he wasn’t actually a campus librarian. Other than that, though, the house wasn’t exactly reassuring him that he’d merely lucked out on his dye job. The gate opened smoothly and they entered the compound of the house in search of the children they were to feed and bring to school.

“I know it’s a bit unconventional, but this’s actually sister-in-law’s family home. Hyung and I ‘re from Mokpo, which’s why I don’t quite have a Seoul accent jus’ yet. We moved up here after dad died since ‘twas loads easier ta find work in such a large place. When I finally got accepted ta university here we ‘greed to put down roots once an’ for all and now live with noona’s family. I make sure to visit mom when I can, but it’s a pretty ‘xpensive trip. We keep askin’ her ta join us but she keeps sayin’ she doesn’t wanna leave dad behind. Once I graduate, I’ll probably move back an’ live with her ‘gain. A’least she has Bada and Mio ta look after her righ’ now. I guess that’s why I’m takin’ all the time I can to be with my niblings while I’m here. Don’t want ‘em ta think I’m just some weird relative who can’t bear ta leave the boonies.”

Wrong again. Maybe he was just oblivious, maybe he was just an , but Hyukjae was sick of being proven wrong when it came to Donghae. He wasn’t a librarian. He wasn’t all that wealthy. What was he then?

“Here, let’s find ya a decent pair of real shoes first. Can’t be comfy walkin’ all ‘round in those furry ol’ things. Minseok an’ Sohee should prob’ly be ready to go anytime now.” Throwing a beat-up pair of converse at his face, Donghae left “to rustle up the children” and left Hyukjae to change footwear in the middle of the courtyard.

 

-

 


"That ‘as fun, right? An’ after all your bravado ‘bout not likin’ kids, ya sure seemed ta get ‘long with ‘em just fine. Sohee e’en seems to like you for some reason. Don’t know how you managed that. And if I’m not careful enough, I betcha 5000 won Minseokah’s gonna end up begging noona to cut off alla his hair so’s he can match with ya.” Donghae’s bright smile lessened the annoyance Hyukjae would have normally felt at having someone sing his praises so casually.

“Your sister-in-law does hair? Is that why your haircut’s so much nicer than it has any right to be?” Nodding his assent with a short hum, Donghae dragged his gaze over Hyukjae’s figure as if for the first time. “You’d not be so bad yourself if ‘tweren’t for your sense of style. Honestly, those pink slippers improved this ensemble.” The taller man leaned over and started a friendly slap fight with the now-laughing Donghae.

“You'd look ridiculous too if you were woken up by your roommate’s raucous lovemaking. I don’t know her name, but by god do I now know far more about his new fling than I would have ever wanted to in a million years. Junsu’s like my brother and I love him, but goddamn if the -hat’s ever a prick to my sleep schedule sometimes.”

That seemed to surprise Donghae a little. “So Junsu’s your roommate, then, huh? Oh, I see now.” Hyukjae looked over at his newest friend. “Why, do know him or something?” Waving his hands in the air, Donghae blurted out, “not at all! It’s jus’ that when ya’re rantin’ ‘bout your childhood, you mentioned that Junsu was like the only support in your life an’ I thought maybe he was—” The taller man cut Donghae off quickly. “My boyfriend? No way. Junsu’s way too familial at this point, that’d just be gross. No. I’m single as at the moment, actually.”

Donghae contemplated Hyukjae’s words in silence, leaving Hyukjae to rub at a sore spot in his neck and curse himself internally. He probably shouldn’t have been so forward. He shouldn’t have laughed off the thought of him being partnered to his best friend. Lord knows he’s bi and frustrated while Donghae is cute and probably not an aide for Dr. Jung this time. Then again, with his luck this week so far, it couldn’t hurt to check.

“So—” “You’re no—” The two men giggled nervously before Donghae started again. “So then, are ya lookin’ for someone? Very few happ’ly-single folks’d describe ‘emselves with as much force as ya put inta that.” Hyukjae smiled widely at the question. “I’m definitely on the market, if that’s what you’re asking after. And I’d definitely be more than happy to repay you for the breakfast this morning with a nice lunch sometime. If you’re open, that is.” Never before had the slimmer man seen someone blush so comically in his life. Donghae’s whole face flushed as if he were from a shoujo romance story and not just another living, breathing person.

“I’d like that quite a bit. But I think dinner’s more doable for my schedule. Gotta show up to class sometime, y’know?” Hyukjae huffed out a laugh at the admission. “Octo dinner it is, then, whenever you’re free. My name’s Hyukjae, by the way.” Taking his hand in a Western-style handshake, Donghae grinned back widely. “Nice ta meetcha, Hyukjae.”

After a comfortable pause shared between the two men, Hyukjae looked back at the short male by his side. “By the way, you aren’t a TA or anything, right?”

 

-

 


Hyukjae worked his way through the shuffling students to reach the front of the room. Hyoyeon was sitting behind the desk and had spread out all of the graded assignments for the course so far. She smirked at his sheepish face and didn’t seem to mind the glare Professor Jung had sent their way upon seeing Hyukjae. “You don’t have any reason to worry, you know. I think you did a really good job on your paper this time.” Covering with her hand and leaning in conspiratorially, she whispered, “Sooyeon even liked it. Told me your commentary on the population of Innis Beag was ‘illuminating and fresh.’ Her words, honest. Just don’t let her know you know or she’ll get awkward. I don’t think she’s forgiven you just yet for trying to ask me out.”

“Thanks Hyo.” Hyukjae beamed widely at his former crush. She simply smiled back and tutted when he kept staring, failing to make way for the other students behind him. “I know I’m pretty,” she scolded, “but don’t you have better things to get to now, Hyuk?” Remembering himself, Hyukjae waved shortly and turned around.

Donghae was waiting for him. Hyukjae 100, Universe 0. And the week was just getting better.

 

-