What ties together must break

Born To Serve (The Sliver Mistress)

Maybe it was humanity had been finally been restored ,or it could of been the fact that if he didn't evolve, that could of easily been him.

To kill a insane man would make the Erkling no better than the man who started all this. 

Yes he had so many reasons to destroy him, he made things between him and Esther strained. Maddox's minion turned Soran feral against his will.

Everything Maddox touched turned to utter chaos.

But did you expect from a centuries old rogue sage?

A sage must dedicate his life to sorcery, to a life untainted by emotions and sin. A lonely life Soran and Maddox lived. They in a way only existed for healing and assisting others.

Jonghong realized how selfish he was for calling on his old friend many times. He never wrote or visit just to check on him even when he live days away. Some friend he was.

He understood Maddox's mind. He longed for compassion and to be needed on a powerful level. Of course being feral for a hundred years can warp your thoughts.

 If he struck him down he'd be no better. 

Maddox wiped the blood off his chin, the rest of his body shaking. He didn't know when to give up.

"What's wrong, had enough!" He taunts

Maddox flies back over to him, starting down at the former Halfling. He was chosen by the God to be Erkling, a superior warrior.

Clutching his head Maddox howls loudly "Why him!"

"I wouldn't strike you down" Jonghong called out 

Maddox stopped screeching to look quizzical at him, "Why,  Do you pity me?"

Maddox swooped over to Jonghong, "I don't need a freak like you to pity me." Maddox slammed his forehead against Jonghong's face, only for him fly back leaving a small gash to tickle down a bit of blood. 

"Oh my, did I hurt the celestial warrior? Oh what a bad boy I been" Maddox grinned wildly.

"I still refuse to fight you, do your worst"

That only made the insanity ridden Mistling angrier, he wanted Jonghong to charge at him. So he had a reason to use very forbidden magic. 

 He was a mad man, but he was also a man of principle. He tried to bait him once again , only to have it evaded. The voices in his head arguing amongst each other, fighting for control. Maddox screamed in agony. 

 

 The voices never ended, ever since he found the book of Wax he been tormented by the voices. They coaxed him into going feral and beyond. The voices sang when he casted the spell of 

Rue and spell of Caine. The yelled when he realized he made a mistake but it was too late to turn back then.

It was now centuries too late, he out lived man and seen things he should of never seen. Tastes and drank forbidden. He could never go back to his life as a sage. He was tainted.

He now has no worth as a sage, maybe that's what he wanted..to be free of the lonely isolated life as a sage.

"Why won't you fight back, afraid of my true power?" He tried to taunt but lost the spice in his voice.

Jonghong shook his head. " I won't be sinking to your level. If use my power I'll be no better than you"

Maddox felt as if he had been stricken, He couldn't stand this..this no body talking to him..of people about being better. 

 

He took a deep breath and tried to re a line himself, he was slipping away into madness again. He had come so far, he couldn't fail. He had found the woman who barely his brood, and bring about the true revolution to the Mistlings.

He sacrificed his pet Lillian for the greater good. He filled Lillian full of hate and gave her a false vision. He couldn't stop now. Not when things were getting started.

He just needed to get rid of this giant pest and he would have the world in his hands.

"Our own people treated you like you were dirt, Shunned you and sold you to the highest pure blood." Maddox circled Jonghong "Why would stop me from wiping out this miserable society? What have these people done for you lately huh, tear you and your love apart? Do you know what they would do to your precious little love once they found out her blood was special? They kidnap her and kill you for holding a priestess in captivity. -"

Maddox cut his speech short, he was rudely interrupted by Jonghong laughing.

"You honestly think I didn't know what the magistrate was doing? Are you that thick to think no one else but you knew what was going on? You may of distracted me but I knew what was going to happen. Your not the only one who has visions. Your not special."

A surge of energy flowed through Jonghong, he rolled his shoulder and cracked his knuckles. He grew bored and being merciful was beginning to seem useless. Maddox would never appreciate his life being spared , he desired to be a martyr. Which would make him so, if he had a following.

One servant and the undead did not a following make.

No more words would wasted on Maddox. 

~*~ 

    Esther awoke roughly as if she had woken from a nightmare, she was in a dark room she never been in before.

 She began wondering how long she had been asleep and why her head hurted so much. When she tried to think back to her last memory, she got dull thud. It was like someone shut the door in her own head.

"odd" she grumbled to herself.

Peering into the darkness of the room, she saw someone slumped over by the foot of the bed.  

'Soran is that you?' Her mind called out.

'Ye' He answered back.

Esther rushed to his side and looked him over, he had visible bruises and cuts on his face. She tried to take his face into her hands so could some how make him feed from him. But he refused and mumbled that Jonghong would need her blood more.

She didn't understand, she looked around for Jonghong but he was no where to be found.

"He'll be here soon. Don't worry your empty head" Soran tried to be snarky but he sounded exhausted and worn.

'You should drink from me" she said firmly.

"Sorry but I don't share blood. I'm not some blood you know. Though I may look it," he laughed weakly as he stood up.

He fell on his bed and closed his eyes. "If I don't wake up, Tell Jonghong he's too stupid to live..." There was a sad pause "And that it was an honour to serve him"

"What are you talking about. Stop being dramatic" her voice was caught between a sob and a tell.

She crawled to his side and pushed his wrist to his mouth. "Drink, Soran. Please. Stay awake"

She tried to open his mouth to bite her but his breathing was slowing down. 

 Hot tears ran down her face, blurring her vision.

"As your priestess I demand you drink from me. Now!"

Soran attempted to open his eyes but they felt heavy, his body knew he was being commanded but his fight was gone.

'Your such a cry baby' His mind whispered one last time 

After that Esther swore she saw mist rise from his body. It danced and swirled to the cottage roof.

Esther draped her body over his and weep deeply, she may of known him briefly but the loss was still too much for her heart to bare.

He wasn't kind or brave but he cares deeply for everyone who was considerate to him. His prickly attitude was his way of keeping the world from eating his soft soul alive.

Even in the end he showed his love for his friends...in his own way.

~*~

     The manor was burned and the maid staff paid handsomely. Her father and mother had apparently abandoned their only daughter when the magistrate came a knocking. Leaving her Inheritance and a half hearted good bye letter, which was all in well. What could they possibly say their daughter they never raised or thought of unless it was time for a charity with upper tops?

They brunt Soran's shop to the ground as well, toasting the flames as they said good bye the place that locked their poor friend in servitude.

They wore his ashes in a bottle locket and would set his body free in a place he hates but secretly loved.

They set Soran to the balkans sea a little past Greece.

The two immortals never settled in, they roamed the worlds, both Mistling and human but hiding from the Magistrate whom still wanted Esther's power and would chase her for as long as she lived.

But she feared nothing with her Lover by her side.

He was no longer tied by name but nature as they both were imprinted to each other, a bond that could never break , no matter what had in stored for them.

They had each other and a love that transcend life..

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

**Author's Note**

Hey thanks Sooo much for reading Born To Serve. This is my first but not last supernatural story. It' ll probably be my last dark story for the year though. I'll be sharing a new story that lives in the same world as The Mistlings but won't interweaving too much. More flower related then death. It will involve Erklings though and Yifan aka Kris Wu. Look for it.

If you have any feed back let me know what you thought of the story ! See you soon mates!