Chapter 5

Let Me In Your Heart

            “You’re not Mayor’s boyfriend?”

            Luhan looked at the three maids in Minseok’s house – Minji, Chaeyoung, and the head maid – Seongjin ahjumma. At that moment, Minseok is taking a shower in his room. And because Luhan remembered Minseok’s request, he went to the kitchen to ask someone to make kimchi jiggae. It’s because he’s helpless when it comes to cooking.

            “I’m not his boyfriend. I’m just a receptionist at the Exo Riding Club. There had just been a little problem and we both got involved for an unknown reason. So here I am, always tailing at Sir Minseok.” It sounds so awful. “At Minseok.” There you go.

            They are not at the premises of Exo Riding Club so maybe he can call him by his first name.

            Chaeyoung siged. “I can breathe now. We thought we will have a rival for Sir Minseok’s attention.”

            “Okay. We’re good, Luhan.” Minji said.

            “You two, stop bugging Luhan.” Seongjin ahjumma scolded. “Why is your feet muddy? You should wash up.”

            “Thank you.”   

            “Minji, get an extra slippers for Luhan.”

            “Ah, before I forgot. Seongjin ahjumma, can you please make a kimchi jjigae? Minseok requested it to me earlier. I don’t know how to cook it so…” The attention of the three focused on him. “Why?”

            “Sir Minseok requested for something to eat?”

            “Is… is there a problem with that?”

            “Nothing.” The old woman said. “It’s just that it’s the first time that Sir Minseok requested for food. Usually, he doesn’t eat here.”

            “He’s not eating at all.” Minji said. “He’s always working.”

            “We pity Sir Minseok actually.” Chaeyoung continued. “He’s always giving his attention to the citizens of Yeongcheon first. But they are all ungrateful. I don’t even know why he decided to lead this useless town.”

            Luhan gets curious on what they have told. He wants to ask a few questions about Minseok. He doesn’t know what to ask without offending the other man.

            “If I were him,” Minji continued. “He should just stay at the Exo Riding Club. He doesn’t have any burdens there, no problems. While here, he even helps the people but he’s the one looking as if he’s the bad guy.”

            “Right. Everytime he’s leaving Yeongcheon, I’m wishing that he won’t go back. He gains nothing here but problems. He doesn’t suit this worthless place.”

            “Don’t talk like that.” Seongjin ahjumma scolded. But even in her voice, it can be noticed that she’s agreeing with the two women. “It’s a good thing that there is still someone like him that doesn’t give up on helping up our town. Let’s just be thankful that Sir Minseok is born and raised here in Yeongcheon.”

            “Minseok grew up… here?” Luhan finally asked. He can’t believe that that guy came from a place that is like a nightmare.

            “Sir Minseok’s family is not that rich.” The old lady answered. “But his parents worked hard to send him to Seoul to study. They doubled their effort to send Minseok to a good university. Their wish was fulfilled – for Sir Minseok to graduate. But there was a consequence. His parents died. Their bodies couldn’t take too much work. I can understand if he’s angry at this place that tortured his parents from too much work. But you know, I’m happy because he doesn’t harbor any grudge on this place.  If ever, he would be the key for the improvement of this place that was impoverished for a long time.”

            Minji and Chaeyong remained silent. They seem to understand what the old woman had just said. Even Luhan can relate to what Seongjin ahjumma wants to say.

            “You are lucky that there is a Kim Minseok that wants to take care of Yeongcheon.” Luhan said then went to the bathroom to wash his feet. “I need to apologize to Minseok. I was wrong on judging him.”

            While Luhan was cleaning, he can’t help but think about what he learned about Minseok. So despite on his impression of him as an evil guy, he made an effort to take care of him.

            “So this is the real identity of Kim Minseok.” Luhan said while looking at the mirror. “Hard on the outside but soft on the inside.”

            Luhan just smiled. He wouldn’t mind taking care of Minseok for a while now that he knew he wasn’t that bad.

-----------------------------

            Luhan is fuming in anger. He just went out of Minseok’s study room where the other guy is busy talking on whoever is on the phone. He carries the tray of food that he requested and he’s about to ask him to have lunch when he ordered him to get out of the room. Minseok said that he will have his lunch later because he is busy at the moment.

            “I’m taking back my word that it’s okay to take care of him for a while!” He beats the stair’s railing. “Argh! He’s so annoying! I waited for a long time because he keeps on saying ‘wait’. I’m standing there for almost an hour then he said that he won’t eat!?” Luhan screamed in frustration. “Just starve there and die!”

            This time, Luhan kicked a chair. He gasped when he felt a pain on his foot. His anger escalated. He just sat on the poor chair and massaged his throbbing foot.

            “What are you doing?” Minseok said. He was standing at the doorway of his study room.

            “Nothing.” Luhan snapped. “I’m just trying to find out which is tougher. Your chair or my toe.”

            “And well?”

            “I am hard-headed so I’m tougher than my toe.” Luhan removed the lid of the food and the smell of the kimchi jjigae emanated in the room. “It seems like you’re done conversing with your phone pals. Eat this before it gets cold.”

            “Later. I’m waiting for someone’s call.”

            “Look, how about you eat first while waiting for that call? You’ll be hitting two birds with one stone.”

            Minseok sat down on the sofa and turned the television on. “I’m not hungry. Just leave that to the kitchen. I will go there if I want to eat.”

            “No. You need to eat now.” Carrying the tray of food, Luhan stood in front of Minseok. “Doctor’s order.”

            “You know, it’s never good when someone’s blocking my view of the TV.”

            “Minseok, you need to eat! Don’t be stubborn!”

            “Minseok?” Now Luhan got his attention. “What happened to the ‘sir’?”

            “Do I have to? We’re not in the riding club. Me, calling you ‘sir’ only applies inside the premises of the Exo Riding Club.” He handed the tray to Minseok. “Can you eat now?”

            “No.”

            “Okay, I promise I will call you ‘sir’ if you eat.”

            “No.”

            “Okay, how about this? I’ll just call Siwon and I will tell him to remove your name from the members of the riding club because you are not coming back.”

            “You wouldn’t do that.”

            “I have Siwon’s number.”

            “Siwon doesn’t give out his personal number.”

            “You’re right. But Siwon doesn’t give it to me. It was Heechul. How sweet.” He smiled sweetly at Minseok.

            Minseok’s mood seemed to have gotten worse. But he was able to make him surrender because Minseok finally turned the television off. Luhan happily placed the tray on the center table. He even fixed the bonsai plant that was placed there.

            “To boost your appetite.” He gave Minseok the chopsticks. “Here.”

            Minseok took it reluctantly. When he did, his hand accidentally grabbed his hand. Luhan immediately felt small electric current that flowed through his hand to his whole body.

            “Eat now.” He’s about to turn back when he heard Minseok call him.

            “Luhan.”

            He looked at him. “You… you called me by my name.”

            “Well, you’re the one who is always insisting to call you in your name, right?” Minseok answered without looking at him. “Did you cook this?”

            “I don’t know how to cook. You should thank Seongjin ahjumma.”

            Minseok tasted the dish. Then he nodded his head. “Yeah, it was Seongjin ahjumma who cooked this.”

            Luhan placed a hand on his waist. He just forgets the wild fluttering of his chest.

            “And what do you mean by that? That I can’t cook something delicious?”

            “Yes.”

            “How dare you? For your information, I am a gifted child. I can do all the things that I want to do. And if I want to cook something, I can cook it deliciously.”

            “Okay.” Minseok pushed his plate away. “I’m through.” He turned the television on. Please tell Seongjin ahjumma that I liked her cooking.”

            “You call that eating? You even surpassed a cat in eating.”

            “I said I’m through. Take that away.”

            “Excuse me?”

            “Just bring that to the kitchen.” Minseok said referring to the food on the center table. “I’m full.”

            He really said it. Minseok really looked at him as if he was a low person. How dare him! So instead of doing what he told, Luhan sat beside Minseok.

            “I’m not your maid.” Luhan took the plate of food and grabbed the chopsticks. “If you don’t want this, then I’ll eat it.”

            Minseok just looked at Luhan happily munching his food. Luhan doesn’t have his lunch yet so it’s favorable to him that Minseok declined the food.

            “You watch boring shows.” Luhan said. “It’s always news. Change the channel. Let’s just watch National Geographic. It suits smart people like us.”

            With a sigh, Minseok changed the channel. Luhan almost spat out his food when he saw what segment is featured right now. Wild of the Animal Kingdom.

            “That is so lewd!” He complained. “Change the channel!”

            “Who wants to watch a show for smart people?” Minseok changed the channel. It was HBO now. When he changed the channel, the exact scene that was showing is a bed scene. “Hmm, this is good.”      

            “I can’t eat properly. Change the channel to Cartoon Network.”

            “This is for smart people.”

            “Do you want me to punch you!?” Luhan decided to leave Minseok because he’s embarrassed of what the other man is watching. But Minseok held his arm.

            Luhan looked at Minseok’s hands.

            “Stay.” Minseok said while he changed the channel. “There’s your Cartoon Network.”

            Luhan lost his interest in watching television. And because Minseok’s hold on his arm brought him some sort of warmth, he will just stay away because he’s feeling something. But Minseok doesn’t let go of him.

            “I’ll eat with you.” Minseok said, and then he looked at him.

            Luhan’s heart was thumping like crazy now as he turned to look at Minseok. He can clearly see that handsome face that made his heart beat wildly. He clenched his fist and swallowed. What was happening to him? Why was he experiencing those feelings?

            Minseok took his plate and pulled him down to sit with him again. Then Minseok started to take a bite of his food.

            “Here.” Minseok returned his chopsticks to him. “Don’t mind me. I’m just taking some bite of your food.”

            They were sharing the same food, plate and chopsticks. Then, what happened to his rule that “I’m an Exo Riding Club Member and you’re just an employee”? Because so many thoughts are running into Luhan’s mind right now, he didn’t notice that he was picking up the chopsticks and he starts eating the food.

            “So, maybe you won’t report me to Siwon now. I’ve done my part now.” Minseok said after.

            “Huh?”

            “I ate something.” Minseok gave him his phone. “Call up Siwon and tell him I’m okay now.”

            At that moment, Luhan just understood his words. He was just doing it because he wants to make sure that he will tell Siwon that he is eating on time. Minseok didn’t do it because… because…

            He’s still the untouchable club member, Luhan said to himself. And I’m still just a plain employee who shouldn’t imagine too much.

            Luhan leaned on the couch and continued eating while his eyes are still fixed on the television. “I’ll just call him later. I’m going to eat first then watch cartoons.”

            “Fine.”

            Minseok stood up and went to his study room. Luhan just followed him with his gaze. Everything is fine. It’s a good thing that Minseok reminded him that he shouldn’t dream of anything between them. It’s impossible that someone like Minseok will like him.

            Luhan gasped. What? When did liking Minseok cross his mind? And why does Minseok liking him crossed his mind too?

            “I like Heechul.” Luhan insisted to himself. “Not Minseok.”

            If that’s the case, then what does the loud thumping of his heart means when he’s looking at the face of Minseok? Or the weird feeling whenever their skins touched?

            It’s just my imagination. Luhan laughed at himself. I’m just like this when I’m hungry.

            “Luhan.”

            This time, Luhan spat out his food when he heard that voice near his ear. Minseok was leaning over the couch, right behind him! So when he turned to him, his lips landed exactly on Minseok’s smooth cheek. Time seemed to freeze at the moment, especially for Luhan. Because when Minseok slowly turns to face him, he froze. Now Minseok’s lips were only a breath away from his. He could feel Minseok’s hot breath mixing with his own. It seems like abandoned his ability to think and he’s just left with his feelings. It looks like only one organ is working in his system – his heart.

            And then it happened. Minseok’s lips touched his. But it seemed like a little brushing of their lips wasn’t enough. Minseok took his lips again for a short but deep kiss. Luhan just blinked when their lips finally parted.

            “Hmm.” Minseok lightly touch his finger to the side of Luhan’s lips. “Not bad.”

            Those words sent Luhan crashing back to reality. His senses were back and his mind made its presence known again. Despite of the loud beating of his heart because of what had just happened, at least, he can think now.

            “Not bad?” Luhan repeated. “What did you mean by that? That you just tested me?”

            Minseok doesn’t answer. He just keeps on looking at him instead. It’s because he’s annoyed at himself and he’s annoyed at Minseok for toying at him, he clamped the other man’s head into his arm.

            “Not bad? Here. Try this if this is not bad.”

            “Stop it, Luhan.”

            “Luhan your face! From this day, I’m forbidding you to call my name! How dare you play with my feelings? And it’s not because you’re rich and I’m poor, you can treat me as a toy that you can play with! And how dare you kiss me?” Luhan tightened his clamp on Minseok’s head. “Did you ask for permission? Did I allow you? I’m suing you for ual harassment!”

            Minseok didn’t say anything. And he noticed that Minseok’s face is getting red. And he hates himself for worrying too much over him. So he quickly let go of Minseok.

            “Do that to me again, Minseok and I swear, I will ask for Siwon’s help.” Because of his mixed emotions, he punched Minseok straight in the face.

            Biting his lower lip to keep himself from crying, Luhan walked out.

 

-----------------------------

Hi everyone! So I was grinning like an idiot while typing this chapter. Finally, Minseok and Luhan's not-so-accidental first kiss. Thank you so much for the subscribers as well as the silent readers. :)