Chapter 8 - Gestures

Placebo

It was half past four when Yuri's last period ended. She’d only taken a step out the doorway when her eyes honed onto a familiar spike of black hair bobbing among the crowd, a little too close for comfort. She had ducked away, using one of her classmate's gigantic body as a makeshift shield. It was amazing how quickly the eyes and the brain coordinated when one was trying to avoid someone. Normally she’d have to take time to pin-point where her post-it was on her obsessively well-kept study table back in her dorm room even though it was practically right under her nose. The brain really was something.

 

She chanced a quick peek, bolting through the crowd and around the corner as soon as she spotted Taecyeon’s back to her. She had hid herself in the nearest janitor's closet, because why not?

 

Unfortunately, patience was not Yuri’s strong point. But at the thought of Taecyeon’s boyish grin and the weird interaction they had before forced her to turn her back to the door, quelling the need to escape the confines of the closet. She had kept herself busy for the next twenty-five minutes idly arranging the cleaning supplies, muttering to herself about the janitor-ajussi’s lack of organization skills.

 

For whatever reason, Yuri had decided that twenty-five minutes was the maximum length of time it would take for even the most patient human being to stay in the same spot without looking like a total stalker. Twenty five minutes of staying in the claustrophobic space of the closet sure was enough for her. But just in case, she had extended her stay for another minute- taking the time to double check her handiwork- before finally emerging from her hiding spot. Luckily she had only garnered the attention of the few students passing by. No Taecyeon in sight. Yuri mentally congratulated herself.

 

Two minutes to five and Yuri was sprinting towards Jessica's last class. She knew where all her classes were held, as she did Taeyeon's and Tiffany's. Math was a boring subject and took a long time to finish. What was a bored student to do?

 

At five o'clock sharp Yuri leaned against the wall for support, lightly huffing. Her eyes scanned the student's faces milling out of the door, nodding to some and just smiling courteously to most.

 

Around three minutes later, with the teacher finally emerging from the room, unnecessary paranoia had started to gnaw at her gut and she unconsciously began pressing her back against the wall.

 

Just when her mind began debating against barging in or to stay put Jessica finally made her grand exit. With the elegance of sleeping beauty. Squinty eyes, yawning and all. Yuri sniggered at the thought.

 

A pair of glossy, unfocused eyes met Yuri’s. It took a few seconds, but the haziness in the brown eyes gradually began to dissipate and a glint of recognition briefly flashed across Jessica’s face.

 

A thin eyebrow was raised.

 

In turn Yuri raised a hand, childishly wriggling her fingers in greeting and grinned.

 

Jessica turned and walked way, not saying a word. A second later she stopped, let her bag strap slide off her shoulder, then tossed the bag in Yuri's direction before restarting her leisure walk. Yuri followed one step back, like an obedient puppy trailing after its master.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Do you have classes with him?” Yuri choked on her hot chocolate. She gripped the mug tightly in one hand, eyes watering at both the drowning like pain in her nasopharynx and the burning sensation from the hot mug in her hand.

 

Plucking still hot mug from Yuri’s hands Jessica set it back down on the table, one hand going up to rub Yuri’s back and ease the coughing, all of that done without a single expression of concern crossing her face. Once Yuri’s coughing subsided she passed the girl a tissue and leaned back into her chair, patiently waiting for the former to dab away the droplets of chocolate from her chin and shirt.

 

“No.” Yuri finally rasped out.

 

“How about classes near his?” she followed up. She was no longer looking at the younger girl and seemed more interested in observing the people passing by the huge front window of the cafe.

 

“I’m not too sure.”

 

Jessica nodded her head, eyes still focused at the window. A short bout of silence fell between them after that.

 

Yuri eyed her mug of hot choco warily. She could still smell the sweet aroma wafting towards her and started to salivate. She reached for it, debating whether it was safe to take a sip or not. She glance back to Jessica’s face and pushed the mug a little further into the table.

 

A moment later Jessica leaned towards the table, her gaze locking onto Yuri’s in a hard stare. Yuri gulped down the knot in , suddenly feeling vulnerable under the hard gaze. It had her heart pumping harder against its enclosure. Her digits felt cooler while the rest of her body burned. It was one of the most intense feelings she’d ever experience.

 

“Most of our classes are right beside each other, right?”

 

Yuri had to consciously remind herself to breathe. Tearing her eyes from the commanding form of the petite girl in front of her she nodded her head. “Except two, yeah.”

 

“Okay, listen up Kwon and listen good, cause I’m not gonna repeat this.” She started. Yuri’s back snapped rim-rod straight at the strict tone that had come from Jessica’s small body. Ignoring the wide-eyed gaze Yuri shot her Jessica continued. “For the following days to come you, my dear Yuri, have to do your very best to avoid a one on one confrontation with..what’s-his-name.” Jessica said, the last part coming out monotonously as she twirled a hand in the air in a flippant manner.

 

“Taecyeon.” Yuri added meekly, pressing her lips together a second later as Jessica’s steely gaze refocus on her.

 

“Yeah, him.”She said dully, rolling her eyes. “And I don’t mean you can let your guard down just because you’re stuck in a crowded place, that’s not gonna stop crap. Whenever what’s-his-name” Her index finger shot up as she glared at Yuri, daring her to cut her off just to correct a minor detail such as a name she couldn’t be bothered to remember. Yuri caught the hint and immediately clamped shut, easing back into her chair sheepishly. “will attempt to engage you in a conversation you have to make sure you bring an outsider into the group. And this is where I, unfortunately, come along. You have to make sure you find me before we go off to all of our classes. If we stick together, then it’ll be least likely he’ll come up and confess. No one would confess with an unwanted third party hanging around. The more the merrier, so if Tiff and Taeyeon are available then bring them along.”

 

“We keep up a conversation. Foil his every advancements..” Jessica’s voice trailed, her eyes loosing focus as her mind wandered. Yuri kept shut feeling that Jessica wasn’t finished yet and instead fiddled with the handle of her mug.

 

“I think.. that little exchange we did today, the whispering in each other’s ears, should be a good addition. I see this happening often in teen movies and it really does a great job of intimidating outsiders.”

 

"Teen movies." Yuri repeated unsurely, slinking into her seat a second later when Jessica narrowed her eyes at her. She cleared , maintaining eye contact. "Of course. Continue."

 

Jessica continued to stare at her. Yuri pretended that it didn’t bother her at all and managed to put up a small grin. Jessica rolled her eyes. "That's it. Keep yourself active, stay away from the guy and for God's sake, do not lead him on. That's just cruel Yuri."

 

"Lead him-” Yuri sputtered, straightening up from her seat. That was ridiculous, she had never lead anyone on. Pranking was one thing, but this… “How am I leading him on? I haven't even said anything remotely suggestive to him." Yuri argued. Jessica raised a brow, taking in the furrowed brows and the small frown on her face.

 

Yuri genuinely had no idea.

 

She sighed. "It's not just what you say to him genius, it's also in the way you smile and act. It's the little things, the gestures. You and I might think it a normal every day interaction, but some people read it the wrong way. Go figure." She shrugged.

 

“Smile?” Yuri repeats doubtfully. “But.. I smile at everybody.”

 

Jessica uninterestedly nods her head, taking a quick sip of her latte. “I know.”

 

“I mean, it’s only polite to do so when I see someone I know..”

 

“I know.” She begins inspecting her nails.

 

“and I-”

 

“I know!” Jessica intervenes, holding her palm up to stop Yuri’s monologue. She lets her hand drop the second Yuri’s lips shuts close and her brown, inquisitive eyes looks up to her in apprehension. “I know, Yuri-yah.” She repeats, softer this time. “And I get that you didn’t pick up on his cues earlier, God knows you’re way too oblivious sometimes. But that's why I'm here.” Yuri pouts, tearing her gaze from Jessica’s face and continues pouting at her cooling mug of chocolate. Jessica rolls her eyes.

 

“I am so going to regret this.” Jessica mutters.

---

This came out shorter than I'd like, but after mulling over it for a while I realize that it's better that I cut it off here than drag it on and completely eff up what I wanted to happen. I also just realize how unexciting my high school life was and how it felt like I breezed past it like my life was on fast forward for those 4 dark years.