Chapter 17 - Truth

Placebo

Lunch went by fairly normal, as normal as it would go by Kwon standards. Yuri had not been kidding about Mrs. Kwon’s dislike of people leaving the table with scraps on their plate. There was a strict aura about her as she sat at the head of the table, silently surveying the children sitting around the table. The food was great, but as much as Jessica wanted to hang around the dining room for the rest of the afternoon there was only so much her stomach could handle. It appeared that Auntie Kwon thinks that anyone who sat at the dining table was as hungry as a bear and would promptly offer more servings. Well, Jessica thought, a verbal offer would have been nice. Auntie Kwon does things differently, she offers as she dumps another serving onto the plate, not waiting for the confirmation. She would then sit back, smiling at her, not taking her eyes off her until she broke a chunk and ate.

 

Yuri takes pity on Jessica after the third serving, with her complexion turning a little greenish from over eating. Jessica had stared hard at her as she enthusiastically pitched her proposal of giving Jessica a tour of the town. She had even added in how Jessica had been over the moon at the thought of going around the market, describing her like a shopping deprived Tiffany let loose at the mall. Jessica keeps up a strained smile, nodding every time auntie Kwon’s eyes falls on her. At the end of Yuri’s pitch, auntie Kwon was all smiles and agreeing to the proposition, but only after designating Won Joo as a chauffeur.

 

The two old friends hi-fived over the table, and Jessica resisted a groan, easily done when she thought of the long walk they’d have to do to get to the center of town. She would take on a thrilled Won Joo, talking a mile a minute about the new places that opened up or the changes to the old places, over walking miles back and forth.

 

On the ride to town, Yuri was ecstatically retelling her experience with the different shops. She insisted she take Jessica around the marketplace, ‘so she can be acquainted with the different stalls and the wonderful things they sold’ were the exact words Yuri said. Her words had sparked the memory of the first time they met and had Jessica grimacing. Jessica reassured herself that at least this time they can take as many breaks in between and stop by for some snacks.

 

Won Joo hung back for most of the trip as they circled the different stores only ever piping up when Yuri stalled and stared curiously at a new addition. Yuri joked that for a man Won Joo fit the typical male stereotype to a T with not wanting to have anything to do with clothes shopping and hanging back as far away as possible. The man shrugged at the accusation saying “Well, last I checked I am a man”.

 

A moment later he had giddily rushed off to a small stall. He pressed his face against the glass stall, his eyes nearly bulging out of their sockets. He found a toy gun. “It looks so real!” He said in a breathless awe as the shopkeeper handed him the toy, holding it like it was made out of some precious metal.

 

Jessica laughed for about five seconds. Then, her eyes followed after Yuri’s back making her way to Won Joo to check out the realistic gun he had found, swiping it from the awestruck man’s hands. She laughed even louder as the two began inspecting it like it was a thousand-year-old relic of sorts. Her pale cheeks were painted a deep red, her eyes watering as she began feeling the stitches on her sides. The two looked at her as if she had gone mad, and that only fueled her laughter.

 

Eventually, the sky began to dim and their energy drained away. Yuri would consistently lean her weight from one foot to the other, still keeping up the pretense of having more energy to spare. Jessica clung onto Yuri’s arm, pressing most of her weight onto the girl to elevate the pain on her calves and feet. As fun as window shopping was it was still a tiring activity. The satisfying thing Jessica got out of it was a cute, light blue sundress she had spotted while pretending to browse through a selection for a rest.

 

She had refused to look at Won Joo’s way for the rest of the day. He had not put down the box that contained his newly bought toy gun, insisting on keeping it by his chest for protection and Jessica felt tickled every time she caught a glimpse of the giddy look on the guy’s face.

 

The small group retraced their steps to the car. The ride back was silent with both girls too exhausted to keep up a conversation and Won Joo too pre-occupied driving and keeping his excitement contained until he can proudly showcase his find in a special spot on one of his shelves. The only disturbance happened once, when Yuri tried to sneak the prized box from the passenger seat to the back. Won Joo had caught her in the act, and nearly got into an accident when he reached out for Yuri’s grabby hands. Needless to say, Yuri behaved for the rest of the ride.

 

Won Joo didn’t stick around for dinner, and though Jessica felt a little more comfortable with the guy she still felt a small parts relief as she watched his car drive away. Her relief was short lived. As soon as Yuri and she entered the foyer an angry father was the first face that greeted them.

 

“Appa.” Yuri squeaked. She smiled nervously, opening her hands wide. “Surprise?”

 

Jessica wanted to facepalm so hard. Then slap some sense into the stupid Kwon. She obviously never told her father, and said father was not too pleased to find out about his daughter’s surprise visit.

 

Yuri had expected her father to rage, ground her and send her to her room to pack. From the redness of his face and the hard stare, she was sure he was so close to doing so. So, in a desperate attempt to duck out of trouble she moved to give her father an unrestrained view of what could be her savior. “Uh.. Appa, have umma told you about Jessica?”

 

Not expecting the cowardly move Jessica froze on the spot. Her facial expression had the typical deer in headlights as her mind tried to come up with a way to deflect the attention from the older Kwon. “Uh..”

 

They were saved by the call of aunty Kown for dinner. Without waiting for uncle Kwon’s simmering anger to erupt Yuri grabbed Jessica by the wrist, pulling her towards the dining room. All the while Jessica glared daggers at the back of Yuri’s head. If looks could kill.

 

Diner felt like an uncomfortable event, even more so compared to when Won Joo was there that afternoon. Uncle Kwon sat at his designated seat, calmly dicing his slab of meat into more manageable portions while aunty Kwon had a one-way conversation with him about the gossip she heard from the aunty next door. He had merely nodded his head, smiling at his animated wife, completely ignoring the two teens that sat together at the other side of the table. She was unable to really look at the older couple and had a tougher time concentrating on her meal with the strong blast of nervousness coming from the jittery Yuri. She noted that Yuri took a longer time to chew her food than she would normally and would glance up to check her father nervously. Probably waiting for his final judgment to slam on the table out of nowhere.

 

Finally, when aunty Kwon finished her gossips uncle Kwon turned his sights from his adoring wife to his troublesome daughter. He was no longer frowning, which was somehow a lot more discerning than when he was red in the face. Yuri swallowed loudly, her hand falling to her lap to grip her knees in apprehension.

 

“So, Yuri, do you have anything to tell me?” he asked calmly, like he was just asking how the weather had treated his daughter that afternoon.

 

“Uh… I missed you?” her answer was more of a question, and was obviously not the one that uncle Kwon wanted to hear.

 

He shifted his attention to the girl beside his daughter. “Jessica.. was it?”

 

Jessica gave a small nod, still uncomfortable with raising her head to look the man in the eyes. She blamed it on Yuri’s agitation, it was getting to her. “Yes, uncle.”

 

He nodded his head. “And your Korean name?”

 

She snuck a glance at Yuri toying with the meat with her fork. Her father’s question was reminiscent of the day in the art room one sunny afternoon. Except that this felt more like an interrogation than the twenty questions. “It’s Soo Yeon.. uncle.”

 

“Oh! It’s a lovely name!” Aunty Kwon commented on the side. Uncle Kwon chuckled at his wife’s cuteness, looking at her with soft, fond eyes.

 

“It is.” He agreed, his eyes once again on the teen. “So, Soo Yeon, I believe you’ve met my mother.”

 

“Appa…” Yuri began, subtly sending her mother a desperate look. The older man’s raised palm quickly ended any other outbursts. Yuri let out a loud frustrated sighed but bowed her head none the less.

 

“I’m sorry to ask you of this, but Ji Yong…Yuri’s brother, either Yuri or Won Joo would have told you by now.” He said carefully, waiting for her to answer. As soon as Jessica made a small nod he continued. “Good. Good. We would just like to ask you not to mention Ji Yong or Won Bin to my mother. We’re sorry for dragging you into this, but since you’re here.. I hope you won’t misunderstand. My mother did not take to the news of Ji Yong’s.. passing well. She had suffered a heart attack and had to stay a while in the hospital. The doctors said it was from the shock of the news. We just, we don’t want it to happen again. She loves her grandchildren so much. It’s painful to see her go through the anguish of finding out about her grandson’s passing all over again.”

 

The heavy soberness of the atmosphere was so palpable. It was never easy to talk about death, no matter how long it has been. Now she understood the reason behind Yuri’s request. The reason behind the deception they needed to keep up, to family no less, was for the sake of grandma Kwon’s health. She understood and she respected their decision, but she didn’t fully agree with it. She had seen what it had done to Yuri, the sadness when she looked at her grandmother when she asked for her grandson, unable to tell her that her own brother died in a freak accident. It wasn’t fair to sweet grandma Kwon and it wasn’t fair to the family, to Yuri. She nodded her head anyway. It was not her place to argue.

 

She felt Yuri’s warm hand grabbing her own over her lap. She gave her a smile, though it didn’t really reach her eyes. Yuri must’ve sensed her reluctance because she kept her hand in place, squeezing Jessica’s tighter in what she suspects is her apology.

 

“I won’t say anything about it uncle.”

 

“Thank you, Soo Yeon.” Uncle Kwon said, the somber look on his face fading into a small smile.

 

Jessica nodded her head once again before deciding to stand. She pushed her chair back, slipping her hand off Yuri’s, excusing herself. Aunty Kwon made to stand, a concerned frown marring her face. Jessica mumbled an excuse of needing to use the bathroom, keeping her head down and refusing to look at any of the Kwons sitting around the table. She turned and left.

 

“Give her some space.” Someone said.

 

Her feet led her to the hallway littered with snapshots. Ignoring the photos she went directly to the sliding glass door and tried it. It didn’t budge. There was a keyhole that she hadn’t noticed earlier without a key in sight. Of course, it was locked. Who knew what creep would suddenly decide to scale a fence and try their way in through the back door. She leaned her forehead onto the cool glass, staring out at the garden.

 

The small garden lights illuminated little parts of the Kwon’s garden. A small pathway was put down leading to what appears to be a small pond at one corner of the lot. Large decorative rocks and driftwoods were scattered about in certain places around the lush green plants, giving the place a sort of zen look. Someone in the family had a knack for design. Under the moonlit sky, the garden looked absolutely peaceful. Now if only the door was unlocked.

 

She sighed, her hand falling to her side. A light thudding brought her attention to the door at the end of the hall and her heart throbbed at the thought of the cheery, old woman. Her feet shuffled towards the door, part curiosity and part paranoia had her reach out for the doorknob. The door clicked and she hesitated.

 

It was not her house. It would be rude to just suddenly barge in.

 

But what if Grandma Kwon had fallen off her bed? No, the sound was too soft for that. So what if something fell off her bed and she was trying to reach for it? It’s plausible. And dangerous.

 

Her hand pushed, the door swung open. She peeked inside, only releasing her breath when she found the old woman propped up by the pillows on her bed looking at her way curiously.

 

“Who is that?” The old woman narrowed her eyes, leaning a little forward to get a better look. The years have clouded her vision too much and without corrective lenses, there was only so much she could make out.

 

Fearing for the old woman’s safety Jessica shuffled into the room, reaching out to stop the old woman from leaning too far out. “Halmoni, please don-” Her toes met something small and round, the object rolling away from the light bump. She made a small squeak and hopped back, her eyes falling to the orange rolling away from her.

 

“Soo Yeon, dear? Oh, and you found my orange!” Grandma Kwon gleefully stated, clapping her hand once. “Forgive me, dear, my grip isn’t as good as it used to be. I’ve been dropping things more often these days. It’s the weather I tell you, the rainy days make the joints a little unbearable.”

 

It wasn’t raining though, Jessica wanted to say. She took a quick sweep of the place. The only window was diagonal to where the bed was set up, a thick curtain drawn to a close. Jessica shook her head, crouching to pick up the fallen fruit. Using the edge of her shirt she began wiping off the fruit for any dirt, lint or hair. She stared at the fruit, then took a quick glance at the gentle face smiling softly at her. She felt a soft pang in her chest. A small smile of her own surfaced as she began to peel off the outer layer like one would a banana, careful not to touch the soft fruit before handing it back to the grinning woman.

 

“Oh, you’re a dear!” Grandma Kwon graciously accepted the orange, quickly halving the fruit and offering the other to Jessica. She smiled but politely declined.

 

“My you really are a lovely little angel. My Ji Yong should be groveling on his knees just to be in your presence.” Jessica didn’t know whether to dig a hole and hide there from the sudden feeling of equal parts flattery and embarrassment or grimace at the echoing of Mr. Kwon’s plea in her mind. She settled for a small smile, hoping it didn’t look too forced or fake. The older woman reached out. Her stubby, arthritic fingers gently caressing the side of Jessica’s face, the tanned, dry skin a deep contrast to the soft, supple, rosy skin of the younger girl’s cheek. Instead of feeling uncomfortable a warm feeling bubbling from her chest had her leaning slightly into the touch as her eyelids fluttered to a near close, reveling in the familiar-yet-foreign feeling. It reminded her of sunny hot days, bare feet running against cool wooden floor boards and wizened dark-brown eyes watching her from the garden.

 

“Soo Yeon, dear,” The old woman crooned. Jessica’s eyes snapped back open and she leaned back, pulling away from the touch, heat creeping up her neck. She swallowed hard, feeling a little too tight, and forced her eyes to stare at the wall behind the old woman. Unperturbed the woman drew her hand back to her lap and continued “.. I know I shouldn’t, but I have a strong feeling that you’re hiding something from me.”

 

The side of Jessica’s lips twitched. “What do you mean?”

 

Grandma Kwon exhaled softly, “There are a few questions I want to ask and I want you to be honest with me. Can you?” Jessica shifted her eyes over to the open doorway, nibbling at her bottom lip.

 

When Jessica didn’t answer Grandma Kwon continued. “It’s about my Ji Yong.”

 

Jessica’s heartbeat increased but still, she kept up her now forceful grin. “Halmoni would you like me to call Yuri?”

 

“Dear please, I would rather speak to someone who will not lie to my face. I may be old but I am not stupid.” Jessica winced. Surreptitiously she took a quick glance at the door, wishing someone, anyone, would intervene. Twiddling with her fingers she pursed her lips, her head bowing in a way that didn’t quite give a sure answer yet leaning more towards agreement despite the sudden chaos her stomach seemed to be thrown into. “I know my Ji Yong, my dear boy, is not with us anymore. Oh, bless the boy’s soul, both of them.”

 

“Halmoni…”

 

“It is true, is it not?” Old, tired eyes peer at her, the small forlorn smile catching the denial at the tip of Jessica’s tongue. Jessica lowers her eyes, her head barely making another, smaller nod. A pregnant pause. Jessica holds her breath, straining her ears to hear any response, any movement from the older woman. She keeps her eyes trained on the edge of the blanket, too scared to look into the old woman’s eyes. A movement of the blanket, a frail hand coming into her view as it reaches for her chin. The callous tips of the woman’s fingers seem to give off a comforting warmth as her head is slowly tilted up until her eyes met with warm deep brown ones. “Thank you, dear.”

 

She shouldn’t. She should have left it as it is. But curiosity was gnawing at her to prod, get an answer. “How?”

 

“My Yuri is not a very good actress. My eye sights not so great, but I can hear the way her voice changes at the mention of her brother or the way she tries to avoids the topic. She always tries to look and act tough, but halmoni knows inside she’s as fragile as a rose, like any other young girl. Her father is a fool to keep hiding the truth away, forcing my granddaughter to lie to my face. I know my son means well. I did not take the news well the first time. When I came to, I was in denial. It seemed like if I accepted the truth, that my Ji Yong is no longer with us, that everything will be permanent. For a while, I waited for a day that Ji Yong would push through the door and beam that bright smile of his. The days turned to weeks that stretched into months and.. It was foolish of me, but I had that small hope in my heart... And I ignored the tenseness of the atmosphere whenever he was mentioned. I hurt my family, making them lie to me constantly… I think this is enough.”

 

“Halmoni,” Jessica tentatively reached for the elderly’s hand. Grandma Kwon saw the action and reached half way, taking Jessica’s hand in hers. Jessica tried to swallow down the knot in , wondering if it was alright to ask. Her next question could upset the elderly woman, and she really didn’t want to do that. A mental flash of a cheeky grin and a warm hand pulling on hers. Swallowing became easier. “since you know.. Does this mean you’ll be telling everyone that you do?”

 

The old woman smiles, gives the softer, smoother hand underneath hers a gentle squeeze.

 “The truth will set us free.”

 

Jessica lets out a breath and smiles gratefully at Grandmother Kwon.

 

“Speaking of truths,” Grandma Kwon perked up, peering up at Jessica with a knowing smile. “Soo Yeon-ah, would you humour me and let me pass on a little nugget of wisdom?” She waited just enough to know she had Jessica’s attention before continuing with her wise words. “Be honest with yourself and don’t be afraid to take the plunge. Like I said, the truth, no matter how scary it seems, will set you free.” The elderly Kwon gave Jessica’s hand a squeeze and winked at her. “I really do think you’d make a fine granddaughter-in-law.”

 

Red colored Jessica’s skin from the base of her neck to her cheeks. opened and closed, trying to formulate words and failing. Jessica clamped shut, bowing her head to avoid the amused look grandma Kwon was wearing as her twinkling eyes continued to watch the flustered girls every move.

 

Jessica was over-heating with unwelcomed thoughts invading her mind from those short, simple words. One could easily interpret that grandmother Kwon thinks Jessica could make a fine addition to the family she would be wedded off to in the future, but then images of Yuri’s grinning face came to her mind.

 

“Halmoni did you.. Sica?!” Yuri’s surprised voice pulled her out of her thoughts. Her head snapped over to the doorway where Yuri stood. The single arched brow had only further fueled her embarrassment, the heat even reaching to the tips of her ears.

 

Yuri crossed the distance between the doorway to the side of the bed within a few strides. She snuck a questioning glance at Jessica’s reddening face, her brows meeting in between and pursed her lips in concern.

 

“I was looking for you.. Halmoni, I’m sorry but do you mind if I take Soo Yeon away? I think she might need a little evening air.” Yuri said, trying to grab Jessica’s hand. Jessica flinched at the slight brush of Yuri’s hand and self-consciously locked her arms around herself. The act wasn’t lost on the tanned girl and the earlier concern grew tenfold. Instead of trying to grab any part of Jessica she let her hands hung at her side, fixing the worry on her face with a forced nonchalance as she redirected her gaze to her grandmother.

 

Grandma Kwon merely raised a hand, shooing the two teens with a knowing kind of smile. “It’s alright. Go now. Take a jacket if you’re staying out long.”

 

“Thank you, Halmoni.” Both girls bowed and took their exit.

 

Yuri did not dare reach out for her again, afraid of making her even more uncomfortable. It had been a while since Jessica has brushed off her touches. And even before they were close, disregarding the time when she brought Jessica around the campus, she had never shielded away from her touch as she was now. She took a side glance of the hung head following behind her, feeling her worry escalating for this girl and the sharp pain of rejection. Turning to the glass doorway leading to the backyard she pulled out a key from her pocket. She fiddled with the keyhole in trying to set the key at just the right position without really looking at it. It slipped in at the first try and she twisted it, pulling the doors open as soon as it was unlocked. Cool night breeze nipped at her skin. Through her side vision, she could see just the slight movement of Jessica reorienting her hands around her arm. She reached over her side, gnashing her teeth together when Jessica flinched and took a step back, and flicked the light switch beside the doorway. Yellow light flooded the back garden.

 

She stepped down to the grass, the green blades tickling the soles of her feet. She in a deep breath, the cold air stinging her chest a little and she exhaled. It felt good. Stuffing her hands into her pocket she headed for the small pond, dancing around the rock pathway knowing how the coolness of the rock under her feet could easily make her sick, or so her mother said. She took a seat on the ledge of the pond, letting a bit of the tension ease from her body when she saw Jessica tentatively following after her.

 

Jessica settles on standing a couple of paces away from Yuri. She felt an insane amount of guilt for indirectly breaking her promise to Yuri and her father and also for causing heartache for Grandma Kwon. But she was also glad that the heavy secret her friend had to bear would be no more soon. At the same time, she felt a huge wave of embarrassment whenever she caught herself unconsciously thinking of the usually happy girl- Speaking of which, after seeing her in the current situation, she wondered just how true her happy personal was.

 

It came as a shock, when Yuri opened up to her with the painful story behind her absent brother. And, she wouldn’t admit it out loud but, she felt an insane amount of happiness that Yuri had regarded her as one of the important people (outside her family, obviously) in her life to share her private affairs with. To be one of the few that knows.

 

She wondered how many had known.

 

“Did Halmoni tell you embarrassing stories about me?” Jessica blinked. She turned her head to watch Yuri’s worried stare. It felt like her heart had missed a beat, but she held the gaze, hoping Yuri wouldn’t be able to read her nervousness and get all wound up with unnecessary worry. Well, more unnecessary worry. “Did she tell you something troubling?”

 

She repressed a twitch, tearing her eyes away. What was with the Kwon’s and picking up secrets? “Troubling? Like what?” she said carefully, feigning ignorance.

 

“Halmoni says a lot of things.. and she doesn’t really filter her words. She also doesn’t like to be kept in the dark, maybe it’s a control thing with her. It may come out as.. tactless or harsh, but halmoni is just like that. She means no harm.” The side of her lip gave a small twitch, her eyes having a faraway look to them.

 

Jessica shook her head, her bottom lip jutting out into a small pout. “No.. it’s not- she just.. told me something...”

 

When she looked at Yuri, the girl was giving her a look that was part worried and part intrigued. She rested her elbows on her knees and leaned just the slightest bit forward. “What did she say?”

 

“The truth will set you free?” It had come out sort of like a question. For a few seconds Yuri sat still, waiting for Jessica to continue, almost as if she knew there was still more to it than Jessica was giving her. Jessica swallowed the thickness around and forced her head to jerk in stiff affirmative.

 

“That it?” No, she also knows about Ji Yong and that you’re a terrible actress, but Jessica wasn’t about to tell her that. It would’ve been like backstabbing the elderly Kwon if she gossiped about what she knew. Though technically the family will know about it sooner or later, it was much better they heard it from grandma Kwon rather than an outsider.

 

“That’s basically it.” She lied, twiddling thumbs. Yuri hummed distractedly.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jessica lifted her head slightly, just enough to look at Yuri’s face through the side of her eyes. “for troubling you with my problems. I didn’t mean to drag you all the way here only to dump my family problems onto you.”

 

“It’s no- You’re not troubling me. I’m glad.. to know you trust me enough to tell me.”

 

“Of course I trust you. You’re basically my best friend! I mean, you put up with me even though I annoy you. You helped me out on multiple occasions without even asking for anything in return. I think you’re great! Besides, I think umma and appa likes you.” She chuckled. “And I’m sure Halmoni would love to take you into the family already. We Kwon’s got a good eye when it comes to people.” Jessica pretended to cough, hiding the burning blush with her hair. Fortunately for her, Yuri looked a bit too gone in her own thoughts to spare her a glance.

 

Jessica took a surreptitious glance at Yuri’s open hand, clenching her own into fists to keep her from reaching over. Why was she even thinking about stopping herself? They were comfortable with skinship before, what changed now?

 

Jessica sighed, tearing her gaze away, feeling her head throbbing. She knew exactly what changed. She just didn’t want to believe it.

 

She liked Yuri. And it wasn’t the best friend kind anymore. And truthfully, it kind of scared her.