Chapter 25 - Misunderstandings

Placebo

There were six pieces of chicken nuggets on her plate. Six pieces of golden yellow, mini chicken fillets that was probably one of the few things the lunch ladies didn’t completely screw up the presentation and actually looked delectable sans the grey gloop of what may or may not be gravy. They were alright, in Jessica’s opinion, and tasted exactly like she had hoped they would. Golden on the outside, white on the inside, breaks apart with minimum effort with a slight extra greasy aftertaste. Tasted like chicken too, so that was good.

 

She prodded one piece with her plastic fork, the nugget running around the small enclosure without the plastic tips actually piercing through its outer layer. There was a slight sheen of leftover oil marking the trail of the nuggets flight and that alone should have at least set off a slight gag reflex from Jessica.

 

It sure as hell wasn’t the cause.

 

“Yuri-yah~ say ah~” There was a slight twitch at Jessica’s right lower eyelid. Dark brown eyes lifted from the food she was playing with to be treated to the sight of her increasingly infuriating roommate leaning forward, a spoonful of rice covered in dark orange-brown goop hovering in front of a very willing pair of lips. Yuri leaned in the rest of the way, closing her lips over the spoon. She sounded her delight at the offering, even playfully retreated with the spoon securely lodged in with Tiffany giggling and trying to pry the spoon loose. How disgustingly annoying.

 

Jessica gritted her teeth, tearing her gaze from the sickening sight and stabbed the piece of nugget with more force than necessary. She was mentally cursing a certain tiny person for her absence and lack of communication with her. She had been firing multiple texts to Taeyeon since morning, originally trying to fish information on what happened the night before when her roommate failed to show up. Said tiny person had quite easily responded with singular worded replies, which went something like this:

 

[Jessica: Did you catch up to Tiff?]

 

[Taeyeon: Yes.]

 

[Jessica: How did it go?]

 

[Taeyeon: Fine.]

 

[Jessica: … Are you guys fighting?]

 

[Taeyeon: No.]

 

[Jessica: What happened?]

 

[Taeyeon: Nothing.]

 

[Jessica: Where are you?]

 

[Taeyeon: Busy.]

 

[Jessica: Are you angry at me? Seriously, did you guys fight? Are you trying to avoid us?]

 

[Taeyeon: No.]

 

[Jessica: No to what?]

 

[Taeyeon: All.]

 

Jessica was going to strangle Taeyeon the next time she saw her. She needed to force information out of Taeyeon first(one way or another), apologise if necessary, then she was going to strangle the stupid dwarf.

 

Tiffany was so jealous that night. Jessica did not miss a single heated glare thrown her way, even if she wasn’t looking at Tiffany directly she could feel her glare boring holes through the side of her skull. It was exciting in a frightening kind of way. Best way to get murdered was to make your roommate jealous. Jessica had even made a point to keep wary of her surrounding as she retired to bed that evening. She had hoped and is still hoping that Taeyeon had managed to convince Tiffany to calm down and baby her the rest of the night.

 

On another note, she had also been keeping an eye out for Yuri’s response. She had deemed the plan a success when she caught glimpses of Yuri’s face, frequently scrunching up like she had smelt something bad along with the pained expressions occasionally breaking Taeyeon’s façade. She had wanted to switch sides and coddle Yuri. She felt like she was going to burst out singing love songs or cackle like a maniac.

 

With the way things were going Jessica was confident it wouldn’t be long until Yuri would have to put down her cards. As much as Jessica wanted to be with Yuri, she was still the girly type of girl. She dreams of the day her crush would come up to her, bearing a bouquet of flowers or a box of chocolates, ask her on a date, and then pop the question under a romantic atmosphere. It didn’t even have to be in that order, or even extravagant. A spur of the moment could be even nicer, cuter and a lot more honest. What she wanted was the pureness of love, untainted by the pressure of society.

 

On the ride back, Jessica had to remind herself not to act out her desires. She was tempted to lean over and pretend to sleep on Yuri’s shoulder, it wouldn’t seem strange if she did as she was known to sleep almost anywhere but she had to stick to her plan. When they arrived at their floor she urged Yuri to return to her room and rest her ankle and was pleasantly surprised when Yuri threw an arm around her and pulled her into a good night hug. It was a good tight squeeze for all of sixteen seconds, she had counted, before Yuri untangled from her and began awkwardly hobbling in the direction of her room. Jessica had felt like she was floating on the way back to her room, her body tingling with the leftover warmth from Yuri’s body.

 

Seeing Tiffany being sickly sweet with Yuri that afternoon, Jessica was beginning to doubt that Taeyeon had sorted her out. She discreetly fired Taeyeon one last text under the table before facing the gag-worthy sight in front of her.

 

“Hey, Tiff,” Jessica interrupted the intimate whispering. Her eyes narrowed at the angle of Tiffany’s arm, unfortunately (or fortunately) she couldn’t see under the table. She gritted her teeth, breathing deeply through her nose, and let her nails dig into her skin. She had to keep calm and composed. It was only natural that they’re close, Jessica mentally reasoned out, they were best friends too. They could do whatever they want. It was all fun and games. After all, they’ve never really shown interest in one another before. She breathed out, her head feeling a little lighter. “Have you seen Taengoo at all today?”

 

“Not since last night.” Tiffany replied blandly, offhandedly giving a half shoulder shrug as she leaned back in her seat. Jessica relaxed her stance somewhat, careful not to be too obvious.

 

That reaction did not sound or look very good. Did Taeyeon not chase after her? Or did they actually end up fighting? Jessica was really going to kick Taeyeon’s if they did end up fighting.

 

“Well… um… did you guys head back to the dorm together? You didn’t return that evening.” She followed up, one hand anxiously going to her pocket where she kept her silent phone.

 

“Oh, no.” Tiffany expression changed as she leans over the table, giving Jessica a sheepish grin. “Sorry Jessie, I totally forgot to tell you. I went to visit Yuri and somehow we ended up chatting all night. I didn’t want to risk disturbing your sleep so I stayed over.”

 

“Really?” Jessica tilted her head, gritting her teeth once again. “What did you talk about?” she asked, trying to keep her voice regulated. She side eyed Yuri, who was busy chowing down on her fries to even glance up.

 

“Oh, you know. How we’ve been doing at school. How Yuri’s sprain and cuts were healing up nicely. Just the usual.”

 

“Oh, and Ppany-ah, the movie.” Yuri cut in, waving the fry pinched between her fingers, popping it in soon after.

 

“Ah, that’s right! Jessie, you down for the cinema’s tomorrow?”

 

“Tomorrow’s a Thursday.”

 

Tiffany rolls her eyes. “Yeah. That’s the point. Student’s discount.”

 

“We’ve got a student’s discount?” Jessica muttered doubtfully, eyeing Tiffany’s face for any signs of lying.

 

“Why does it not surprise me that you don’t know that?” Tiffany chuckled, throwing a small piece of fry at Jessica. It lands on the small bowl of grey gloop, it doesn’t even break the surface and simply lies over it like the gloop was solid. Jessica pushes the bowl over and off her plate, the gloop wriggles as the base meets the table and the fry flies off, and she makes a mental note to never try the grey sauce.

 

 

 

 

 

Despite Tiffany’s warnings, Yuri glances over her shoulder and briefly catches Jessica’s eyes. Jessica gives her a sort of half grin, halfway lifting her hand in goodbye. Ignoring the sharp sting to the back of her arm Yuri shoots her free arm up, gives an exaggerated salute and a toothy grin right before the swinging doors to the cafeteria fully closes after them, cutting her sights off Jessica. She lets her hand fall to her side and repositions her hold on the crutch.

 

A second later, Yuri receives a slap on her shoulder. She grimaces, muttering a soft apology to the frowning Tiffany. “I couldn’t help it.”

 

“I know keeping this a secret from Jessie is hard.” Tiffany sighs, briefly pinching the space between her knitted brows. She curls her arm over Yuri’s free one and presses to her side. “I mean, Yoongie and I were texting each other earlier and I almost, almost slipped and told her about you giving Ok Taecyeon her number and telling him she liked puns.”

 

Yuri groaned. Tiffany was a smart cookie and was surprisingly manipulative. After months of hanging out with her, after reconnecting with Taeyeon, how had she never known this side of Hwang Tiffany? She would have been a brilliant partner on game day, what they could have done if they planned in advance.

 

She side eyed the grinning brunette, feeling just a little intimidated at how at ease she was walking right beside her. She wondered if Jessica was like this. She had helped her out with the whole Taecyeon thing, so she wasn’t exactly a saint. She knew how to pull strings and manipulate. The thought had her feel a little uneasy, but Jessica wouldn’t play with them. Would she?

 

She wouldn’t, not after seeing the caring side of Jessica for the past week. The mother hen in her had slowly withdrawn, making way for the return of her apathetic front, but Yuri had already experienced first-hand how caring she could be. Jessica had long softened her approach towards her, and Yuri was proud to make Jessica’s extremely short list of people she trusted, showing her a side of her that she doesn’t regularly put on for the public. It was hard not to fall harder for the reclusive girl than she already had.

 

Yes, that was right, she was falling hard for the Jung. Being with Jessica had brought out feeling she would never have thought she would ever feel for someone. She had thought the day her brother died was the day her heart closed off to the world. The first time she met Jessica she had just thought she was different. It was interesting to meet someone who would actually confuse the high school and middle school fraction, and then to just go along with her proposed plan? Yuri had decided then she had to be friends with the girl. Then, as clichéd as it sounded, the more she got to know the girl and the more they hung out together, she had gradually taken more and more space in Yuri’s mind and in her heart. Jessica was Yuri’s complete opposite, and that’s what made her perfect for her. It was no love at first sight, but it felt just as magical.

 

And now, she was being blackmailed into keeping her distance from her without reason. It was truly unfair, but Tiffany held the ropes now. Oh, how the master trickster got schooled.

 

“Ppany-ah” She gently nudged the girl’s side. “not that I’m questioning your loyalty or anything like that,” she added carefully, keeping an eye on Tiffany’s side profile the entire time. “but why are you doing this to your best friend?”

 

“Simple,” Tiffany said, abruptly stopping. She whirled around quickly tapping her forefinger on the tip of Yuri’s nose, much like one would do to a puppy. “Payback. Don’t do unto others what you don’t want others to do unto you.”

 

Yuri wrinkled her nose, swatting Tiffany’s probing finger. “But what did she do to you? Why aren’t I allowed to hang out with Sica? And why can’t you just tell me now what you need me to do?”

 

“Patience, Yuri, patience. I’ve got a plan. And you, as much as I want to tell you.. I want you to try and figure out what your role is.”

 

Yuri rolled her eyes. “Ppany-ah, this is your plan. How am I supposed to know what my role is if you don’t tell me?”

 

Tiffany hummed, reaching up to pinch at Yuri’s cheek. “TaeTae’s right, you are a little on the dumb side.”

 

“Hey! I resent that.” Yuri grumbled, jerking her head to the side to get away from Tiffany’s pinching. “Why is it so hard to just get to the point?”

 

“Because that wouldn’t be fun.” She grinned and winked playfully at Yuri. “Now, if Jessie asks..”

 

“You had to meet up with a few classmates for school work.” Yuri answered, sighing.

 

“And if she pries some more?”

 

“I don’t know where you went after I dropped you off at the bus stop. No, we have not seen Taeyeon. And if she’s still asking…” Yuri soughed deeply. “lie to her and keep her close to me the rest of the evening.”

 

Tiffany nodded her head. “Good. Now, whatever you do, unless there's like  a giant sale or Jessie suddenly does something out of character, don't text me.”

 

Yuri bobbed her head uninterestedly. She suddenly reached for Tiffany’s arm as she was about to walk away. “And where are you going exactly?”

 

Tiffany grinned broadly. “I’ve got a date with my Boo.”

 

“Of course.” Yuri grinned. “Oh, hey, I haven’t congratulated you both properly.”

 

“Aw, thank you. I’ll pass it on to Tae-Tae. And Yul?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Figure out your role in this and help me out.” Tiffany leaned against her, going on her tiptoes to press a quick kiss at the side of Yuri’s cheek. She giggled at the sight of Yuri’s shoulders deflating, giving her hand a tight squeeze before pulling back. “Don’t get yourself into trouble.”

 

 

 

 

 

Jessica was getting mad.

 

No, she was way beyond that. She was entirely pissed.

 

She had turned her back the moment Tiffany leaned in. She didn’t need to see the rest to know what had just transpired. Between their height difference and the way Tiffany’s body was leaning, it didn’t take a genius to know she had just kissed Yuri. And that brainless idiot let her.

 

She grounded her teeth together, briskly walking the other direction. Her eyes burned and she was hot under her collar. Her chest constricted and her mind roared with an emotion she was beginning to know a lot about.

 

Being stuck in an unrequited love was suffocating. Being jealous over her friend was another ballgame.

 

Her plan was backfiring on her in the ugliest way. Her cell phone stayed silent since the last message she sent, Taeyeon still MIA. Tiffany was showering Yuri with affection with no regards to the rest of them. It was not supposed to be this way. Taeyeon was supposed to coddle Tiffany that evening. Had she not seen the lacklustre way Tiffany behaved throughout dinner? Was this Tiffany’s way of dealing with her jealousy or did she find a confidant in Yuri and if so… is she developing feelings for her?

 

They couldn’t be. One day was just too absurd.

 

Jessica hissed under her breath, revaluating yesterday’s event from morning to evening. It was going perfectly. Taeyeon, though reluctant, played her part well. She had kept away from Tiffany for the morning, stuck with her and was careful not to have any contact with the loud girl. Tiffany looked ready to murder her while Yuri was silently taking everything, their attitudes a complete opposite to their normal behaviour. The evening was even better, she could feel the jealousy oozing out of Tiffany and Yuri was even becoming a little violent with her cousin.

 

She huffed, pushing past the door of a familiar room, pressing her back against the door and locking it. Her hand shot to her hair, pressing the heel of her cool palm against her eye as she sunk to the floor. Her other hand went up to rub half of her face as she tried to regulate her harsh breathing.

 

It didn’t make sense. She was so sure Taeyeon chased after Tiffany that evening, she knew Taeyeon couldn’t bear being away from Tiffany that long. She had pretended that she didn’t see the girl clutching Tiffany’s hand as they entered the restaurant, that’s why she had them separated. She needed to push one of them, and Tiffany was the first to break. At least, that’s what she thought.

 

No, Tiffany had definitely fallen into her ploy and Taeyeon ran after her even before she had finished hinting at her. Even if she hadn’t confessed, she would have at least made sure Tiffany came back to the dorms safe and sound.

 

Was she getting played?

 

Had Taeyeon turned double agent on her at Tiffany’s bequest? It’s not hard to imagine she would, after all between Jessica and Tiffany the latter had a deeper bond with the kid faced girl. And if Taeyeon had actually gone and spilled the beans to Tiffany…

 

A breathless chuckle. “I guess I’ll just have to step up my game.”

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri mentally groaned as she reread the message for the 8th time. What bad timing. She was tempted to rush back to the dorms, a God-given chance to chill out with Jessica without Tiffany or Taeyeon. But, she had already promised someone else her time for the afternoon.

 

Maybe it wasn’t too important and she could leave quickly and catch up with Jessica for dinner. Tiffany would definitely still be out. Chances were she would sleepover at Taeyeon’s again as Taeyeon’s roommate seemed to be MIA at the moment. She could propose the same thing. The thought of cuddling with Jessica had her feel a little shy, she wouldn’t be surprised if she was blushing. It was a good feeling and she wouldn’t mind drowning in it.

 

A sharp ding snapped Yuri back to her current surrounding. Glancing out the window she jolted up her seat, shocking the person seated beside her. She gave them a sheepish smile as she staggered out to the aisle. She had almost missed her stop daydreaming.

 

Stepping off the bus her smile grew wider as soon as she spots her energetic junior waving while jogging towards her.

 

“Yoongie~” Yuri cooed, opening her free arm as Yoona closed the rest of the way and flung her arms around Yuri.

 

“Unnie~ Yoongie missed you. You weren’t here the last time.” Yoona pulled back to brandish her famous pout up at Yuri. The older girl chuckled, playfully ruffling Yoona’s hair.

 

“Sorry. Unnie had to go home.”

 

“Taeyeon unnie told me. She also said you hurt yourself badly.” Yoona cocked her head to the side, her eyes roving Yuri’s body from head to toe. “You sure do look like a scraggly hobo now that I got a good look at you.”

 

“Yah!” Yoona giggled as she ducks the swipe aimed at her head. Taking the chance she yanked the crutch from under Yuri’s arm, dashing around her as Yuri does an embarrassing show of flailing arms while hopping on her good foot. “Love you, unnie!” she makes a giant heart over her head then began giving her finger guns when Yuri shot her a glare.

 

“Ei, this little kid.” Yuri muttered, though she couldn’t lie to herself, she was half amused by her grinning junior. “I still need my crutch.”

 

“It’s been over a week. Don’t lie.” Yoona waggled a finger at her.

 

Yuri laughed, hesitantly putting her injured foot down. She had been using her left leg for a while, testing how much weight she could apply and how long she can walk without it hurting. It somehow did the opposite of what she was hoping for.

 

“Why did you want to see me?” she asked instead, holding out a hand for the return of her crutch.

 

“That.. ah… can we talk about that somewhere..” Yoona looked around nervously “a bit more private?”

 

 

 

 

 

[Yuri: Sorry, I’ve got someone to meet today. Maybe next time?]

 

Jessica stared hard at the message, not quite believing Yuri would actually turn down her request. She looked around her empty room, feeling disheartened and frustrated. She still had no idea where Taeyeon was, she hadn’t seen where Tiffany went off to after what she saw in the hallway and Yuri was out.

 

Had she misunderstood the whole thing?

 

She chewed on her bottom lip. It was time she made a move.

 

[Jessica: When are you getting back?]

 

 

A/N: Happy New Year folks! I know, a bit late(the greeting and the update). But hey, since I caught the flu(might be the flu) I found some extra time to be productive. Lots of love to the subscribers and commenters. You guys rock! Sorry for always vanishing for months on end, you all can already tell I'm using the age old 'real world happened' excuse (it is legit, damn it!), but yeah. Some of you already know what's up. Pretty sure we're approaching the end of this story, but I just don't know how to end it quite yet so bear with me. I'll try to make it a bit more... dramatic? We’ll see.