Chapter 11 - Club Weirdo

Placebo

Jessica and Tiffany opted out of whatever mayhem the five crazies(as Jessica has now dubbed them) were up to, Tiffany because she wanted to at least see the start of the parade and Jessica plainly because she didn’t want the trouble she was sure they were going to get themselves into. She was no prankster. The most she ever did was change the cream on the oreo for some delicious toothpaste back when her snacks mysteriously disappeared throughout half of her first year in primary school. She never really did catch the snack burglar, but after that incident and to her delight her snacks were left alone.

 

There were a few things that instantly popped into her mind at the mention of cafeteria and prank. It was going to be a large, messy, loud, and if she knew Yuri, chaotic event. Four adjectives she didn’t want to be a part off. But, as she watched the beginnings of the parade amassed at the front gate, a small part of her wished she’d kept shut and watched the chaos unfold.

 

She had been mildly impressed by the synchronization of the marching bands drum line at the beginning, but then everything else came into play and then it just turned into an unpleasant noise. Tiffany seemed unperturbed by the off pitched tooting of the trumpets or the slight scratching whine of a missed pressed key, her loud cheering lost in the roar of the crowd as the band starts marching one by one out of the school property.

 

When the last few volunteers exited the gates of school and what was left of the crowd dispersing to their own groups, the duo decided to waste their time elsewhere. Tiffany had tried to entice Jessica to follow the parade (maybe someone would trip or make a complete fool of themselves, it’s not uncommon in the parade.) and as tempting as it sounded Jessica had stood by her decision to stay at the school grounds (It’s too hot and I don’t want to exert myself over a dumb parade.). They had ticked off the places that were too hot (but there’s a fountain over there!- Jessica rolls her eyes and pulls Tiffany away) or uncrowded (This place gives me the chills), wandering aimlessly through the campus while Tiffany tried to think of something to do.

 

On their trek Jessica saw concrete proof of the supposed prank war that Yuri’s been excited about. There had been unlucky students that passed by open corridors only to trip over saran wrap strategically placed where the light wouldn’t bounce off the clear plastic. There were some students walking about, wet from the top of their head to their shoes. Worse, some students had bright hair colour, from the old dye in shampoo, Jessica assumed.

 

Both girls had luckily avoided the so called prank zones, mainly by following not to closely to someone else and diverting course whenever disaster strikes, Tiffany’s secret to avoiding getting pranked. So far their attempts at steering clear from prank zones had been successful. Tiffany claims that the students aren’t as active, but by the amount of grumbling students Jessica had seen so far she thinks otherwise. It had been funny at first, but, like everything else, the novelty had worn off and soon enough Jessica lost interest watching the end results and started to get annoyed with the constant dodging of flying water balloons or anywhere with a top as things kept flying off them. When you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all.

 

Jessica huffs, sparing a disgruntled student, hair covered in what looked to be foam, as they crossed paths.

 

They don’t see the five crazies until it was time to gather for the Bar-bee-que. Though they’ve never met before that morning Jessica could easily identify the two tallest that had gathered along with the rest of the hungry students. They weren’t that hard to remember, being taller than the majority of the female student body had gave them a special recognition in Jessica’s short-term memory, though their names escape her but she figured she could get away with the casual non-mentioning of names. It did come as a little bit of surprise when Tiffany told her that they were even younger than Yuri. Ironically the eldest was the shortest of the group while the youngest were pushing the 5’9”, and from a pure Asian decent that was tall.

 

The other three were less conspicuous, idly sitting on a shaded patch of grass, away from the hot mass queuing for grub.

 

Taeyeon was the first to see them, instantly signalling where they were.

 

“I’ve got a question.” Yuri says as soon as they’re within hearing range. “Say you’re in the middle of showering when suddenly Mother Nature calls. Would you pee in the shower?”

 

Tiffany pauses, sending Yuri a wide-eyed stare before letting her eyes roam about for any prying ears. “Are you actually asking me this question out in broad daylight?”

 

“It’s a yes or no, Ppany-ah, not complex algorithm.” Hyoyeon quips, her nose crinkling as her eyes fall on the cousins sitting opposite of her. “Would you, or would you not pee in the shower?”

 

“Don’t mind the other people. Who would want to listen in on our talk when everyone’s too psyched up about either the bar-bee-que or game later?” Taeyeon says, waving Tiffany over to the vacant space beside her.

 

“Before you sit down..” Hyoyeon cuts in “Ppany-ah, yes or no?”

 

“Honestly, no.”

 

Hyoyeon throws a fist in the air, throwing a triumphant grin at the pouting Taeyeon. “Yes! Come sit with me, away from those disgusting animals.” She says, reaching out a hand for Tiffany to take. Tiffany hesitates, throwing a confused look at Taeyeon, then Yuri, before making her way beside Hyoyeon.

 

“What’s wrong with peeing in the shower?” Jessica asks, right about to plop down right where she stands.

 

“So you’d pee in the shower?” Yuri asks, already patting the space next in between her and Taeyeon. Jessica compliantly takes the offered place. She notices the gap in between them. They’re positioned so that they’re directly facing Hyoyeon and Tiffany, like there was a tangible boarder between them.

 

“When you’ve got to go, you’ve got to go.” She finally says after making herself comfortable.

 

“Exactly!” Taeyeon agrees readily.

 

Hyoyeon scoffs. “That is disgusting… And I thought you were more of the sensible one.”

 

“What’s wrong with peeing in the shower?”

 

“Oh My God..” Tiffany gasps. She points her index finger right at Jessica, her questioning face turning sour. “Do you pee in our shower?”

 

A nonchalant shrug. Tiffany shuts her eyes and grits her teeth. “I suddenly have the urge to disinfect the whole bathroom.”

 

Jessica rolls her eyes. “Aw come on Tiff. It’s not that big of a deal.”

 

“Yes it is! You peed in the shower! That’s what the toilet is for.”

 

“Yeah Sica-yah, you don’t know where your pee goes. It could spray all over the walls!”

 

“Over the w-“ Yuri laughs. “What is your urethra made out of? A fire hose?”

 

Taeyeon leans back, using her arms as a prop. “I really don’t see what the big deal is, they’re all pipes anyway.”

 

“Would you poo in the shower?” Hyoyeon shots back, sneering. “I mean, they’re all pipes anyway.”

 

Taeyeon sighs and shakes her head. “That’s not what I meant. And I believe the question was if I would pee in the shower, not in the shower. That’s just disgusting.”

 

“Aw come on Hyo, Ppany. Don’t tell me you guys are one of those people that don’t pee in the pool.”

 

“No, I’ve peed in the pool.” Hyoyeon quickly confesses.

 

“Then what’s the difference?!” Both Taeyeon and Yuri argue back, laughing a second later as they exchange high fives.

 

“The dif- !” Hyoyeon cusses, realizing her mistake. She misses the look of disapproval from Tiffany as the girl shifts slightly away from her.

 

“I don’t pee anywhere else but in the toilet.”

 

While the three continue throwing looks at each other, Hyoyeon being the recipient of both Tiffany and Taeyeon’s, Jessica nudged the side of Yuri’s arm, catching her attention. “Don’t tell me you guys have been debating over this even before we got here.” She says, just loud enough for Yuri to hear.

 

Yuri grinned, throwing her arm around Jessica’s shoulder and gave it a squeeze. “That’s the beauty of a smooth friendship. We can debate over just about anything under a bright sunny day and not give a care to the rest of our surroundings.”

 

“Ah, you mean like the weirdoes you really are.”

 

“You know Einstein was considered a weirdo, making up all those equations about energy from mass and… whatever the C stands for. And look where he is now.”

 

“Under a plot in a cemetery somewhere, rotting, that’s where.”

 

Yuri throws her an amused look and chuckles. “Morbid thoughts, Sica-yah. If I didn’t know you any better I’d be afraid of you.”

 

“Didn’t stop you from chasing after me the first time.”

 

“That’s because I’m a clever girl. At the back of my mind, I knew you were a special kind, the way you reacted was… you reminded me of… well, me.”

 

“Are you insinuating that I’m a weirdo?” Yuri laughs some more. She’s ignored by the other three who continues to debate the pros and cons of urinating in the shower. Jessica throws them a glance, from the looks of it Taeyeon was doing a good job of further disgusting the opposition while still looking nonchalant about it.

 

“Welcome to club weirdo Sica-yah, where being weird isn’t weird at all.”

 

Jessica lets out a soft chuckle. “Oh yeah, that sound appealing.”

 

“Are we doing fruit jokes now?”

 

“What?”

 

“A-pealing.”

 

It takes Jessica a couple more seconds before she get the joke, just managing to catch a chuckle and nudges Yuri’s side. “Oh, grow up.”

 

“Oh, you think it’s funny. You can’t fool me. These eyes don’t miss anything.” Yuri says, indicating at both her eyes before pointing at Jessica’s face.

 

Their attentions are called back into the mini debate by a sharp, quick yelp.

 

Taeyeon has her back turned to them, rubbing the side of her arm. There’s a shoe lying innocently not too far from her. On the other side Tiffany had her face buried in her hands while Hyoyeon, missing her left shoe, was throwing Taeyeon yet another disgusted look.

 

“Thanks for ruining the beach for me Taeyeon.” Hyoyeon sneered.

 

“But it’s true. Think about it.” At this point Tiffany had her ears shut, turning away from the conversation. Hyoyeon was beginning to reach for her other shoe.

 

“Finish that sentence and I’m going to aim for your head next.”

 

“Can we just.. change this conversation, like, right now would be great.”

 

“Okay fine…” Taeyeon grumbles, brushing the light brown shoe imprint from her sleeves. “Do you wipe your sitting or standing?”

 

The other shoe flies towards her head.

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon is saved from the wrath of Hyoyeon when the food-loving duo re-joins the group, each with a full plate in hand. For whatever reason Sooyoung decides that the best way to stop a fight is by indulging one’s self to the glory of food. So, passing her full plate to the nearest person, Tiffany, for safe keeping, she grabs two hotdogs from Yoona’s plate and shoves them down her bickering friend’s throats. Hyoyeon pulls the hot gag from and dry retches, while Taeyeon manages to slap Sooyoung’s hand away before the girl could succeed in possibly murdering her. Yuri collapses in laughter while the two more sensible girls of the group shake their heads and pretend nothing happened. Yoona watches on the whole scene, eyes watery and lips trembling at the good food gone to waste.

 

Sooyoung pacifies her with a promise of a second trip and the girls finally calm down enough to settle into their place.

 

“So!” Sooyoung restarted, swallowing the last bit of the chicken nibbles. She glances through everyone, making sure she had all their attention. “The big game.”

 

“What about it?” Hyoyeon answers, tone passive.

 

Sooyoung clicks her tongue, tossing the chicken bone on the side of the plate. “Can’t you be a bit more excited?”

 

“Oh, sorry.” Hyoyeon puts down her hotdog and, leaning over, she grabs Sooyoung by her shoulder and shakes her. “The game! Oh golly, isn’t it soooo exciting. I can’t wait for all those hunky guys running around and throwing air balls.. and sweating, God they look gorgeous with the glittering effect! Now doesn’t that sound fun?”

 

Yuri and Yoona chortles at the sight of Sooyoung’s face turning green and her feeble she attempt at breaking away without losing her balance.

 

“No one says ‘oh golly’ anymore.”

 

“Shut up Taeyeon.” Hyoyeon spat, finally letting go of the dizzy Sooyoung with one last, hard shove.

 

Gathering her bearings back together Sooyoung extended her leg, careful of the plate of food not too far from her, and kicked Hyoyeo’s leg. “Violent punk.”

 

“Who you calling punk?”

 

“What are yo- Yah! Stay away! Yoona! Save the food!”

 

“Aie, unnie!” Yoona said, diving to save the plate seconds before Sooyoung and Hyoyeon’s tangled bodies could smash onto the ground.

 

“I can’t believe I’m sitting with you guys right now.”

 

“It’s alright Jessie, you’ll get used to them in a while.”

 

Jessica glanced at the two girls wrestling on the ground for dominance, to the youngest cheering on for both girls, to the two cousins betting and laughing on the side.

 

“That’s what I’m afraid off.” She says, unable to repress the small smile pulling at her lips.

 

~~~

A/N: Sorry for any grammatical errors or typos, been busy. I'm doing double shifts now, trying to regain the cost of all of my expenses for the past few weeks.

Cheers.