Chapter 24 - I Need You

Placebo

Yuri is a whipped puppy.

 

Taeyeon never thought she would ever think of her troublesome cousin that way, but after seeing the taller girl trail pitifully after Jessica’s heels Taeyeon concluded that she was no different from her. Yes, Taeyeon has long accepted the fact that she was weak against a certain person. Whatever the case, she would bow to Tiffany’s requests.

 

But that was what love was right? Putting the other’s well-being, wishes, and needs above your own.

 

Taeyeon glanced at the smiling brunette chattering next to Jessica. Her stomach churned a little in jealousy, but the thought of knowing who Jessica really liked smothered most of the insecurity in her. No matter how close they have become, being roommates and all, Jessica didn’t see Tiffany as anything other than a good friend. Probably the same way Tiffany looked at her.

 

Taeyeon sighs, her shoulders deflating a little.

 

No, she is envious of Jessica. She envious of how courageous she was going after the one she liked. She envies her smarts, planning her move to make sure to keep her heart protected until the point she was sure there was mutual interest before giving it her all. A little manipulative, but that was how real life worked, right?

 

As they enter the BBQ house the stench of cooking oil and fried meat assaults their nose. It makes Taeyeon recoil in revulsion yet water in hunger. She swallows, trying to loosen the tightness in as she steps right behind Tiffany. Her hand automatically reaches for Tiffany’s and she relaxes a little when she feels Tiffany intertwining their fingers, looking over her shoulder and giving Taeyeon one of her dazzling smiles. Taeyeon feels herself smile goofily back.

 

Her eyes then flicker to Jessica, sighing in relief when she sees her back to her.

 

Jessica’s instruction was to ignore Tiffany for the meantime and to only have direct interaction with either her or Yuri. Obviously, she has failed in that. But really, how high were Jessica’s expectation of Taeyeon following through her instruction for a whole 24-hr period. Taeyeon could not even recall the last time she went through the day without any physical contact with Tiffany. At that point, it was instinctive of her hands to reach out for Tiffany’s.

 

It wasn’t like she was going to tattle. She just could not stay away.

 

Maybe it was unhealthy, how much she craved for Tiffany’s touches, her voice, or even her presence at the very least, but Taeyeon didn’t care. As trite as it sounds, Taeyeon’s love and devotion could not be swayed.

 

So, she held on as they are lead to one of the couches where a waitress was busily wiping the table clear of oil and bits of rice. Taeyeon scans the half-filled restaurant, seems like they were lucky enough to come in before anyone else could claim the couch.

 

She’s disappointed a moment later when, with that adorable excitement lighting up her face, Tiffany pulled free to claim the couch. Much like a child, she began gathering three of the four couch cushions and piled them at the corner, smiling brightly at the fluffy throne she had made for herself. Taeyeon chuckled and was about to follow when she felt a hand wrap around her wrist. She turned curiously to Jessica’s smiling face. Her brows furrow in annoyance as Jessica began pushing the startled Yuri to sit next to Tiffany.

 

“Do you mind taking the inner seat?” Jessica asked sweetly as she began arranging Yuri’s crutches to lean against the back of the couch, away from creating a disastrous accident. Taeyeon softly sigh in dejection and nods her head.

 

Right, the plan was still on.

 

She caught the scowl on her cousin’s face, and even glimpsed the blank look on Tiffany’s from her peripheral vision. Pretending not to have noticed the stale aura from the opposite end she grunted, slipping into the empty couch, careful to avoid looking the other two in the eye.

 

Jessica doesn’t seem to notice the tense atmosphere as she plops to the space beside Taeyeon, picking up the laminated menu the waitress had left on their table before she got called away. She flipped through the pages quickly, her eyes lightening up as she arrives at the end. With an excited grin, she held the menu out in front of her.

 

“Can we get the buffet? It’s cheaper than the rest of the menu, and it’s all you can eat!” Jessica points at the buffet option as she looks between their companions. Her excitement rubs off on Yuri, the girl grinning and nodding her head.

 

Taeyeon discretely rolls her eyes. Big surprise there.

 

She wonders why Jessica doesn’t see what she sees. How she’s still not fully convinced Yuri likes her the exact way she does. Was it not obvious enough how Yuri would have that idiotic look on her face when Jessica changed her bandages or fussed over her? Does she not see where Yuri’s gaze would land every single time they were together? How Yuri would always try to find a way to stand or sit beside her?

 

She looks back to Jessica and is slightly surprised at how close the girl had managed to get without her notice. She backs up, clearing in an attempt to lessen the nervousness she felt. Through the corner of her eyes, she sees Yuri’s demeanour changing. She winces when someone’s foot kicks hers, and she was pretty sure it was her cousin.

 

“I uh.. I’m good with anything. Ppany-ah?” She diverts the question, turning expectantly to Tiffany.

 

Her eyes quickly fall on the space in front of her at the intense stare directed at her. Tiffany for sure did not look amused.

 

Wait- does Tiffany actually like Jessica? She had been sticking particularly close to Jessica on the ride to town. Taeyeon gritted her teeth at the thought, her chest giving a painful twinge.

 

No, that couldn’t be. Tiffany would have told her if she was.

 

When did loving someone turn so complicated?

 

“Whatever.” Tiffany answered, her tone dead.

 

Taeyeon bit her bottom lip. This was not a good idea. She didn’t dare try to communicate it with Jessica, feeling two pairs of eyes directed at her. Doing so felt like a suicide mission. So, she remained seated, staring into space, trying to imagine she was somewhere else.

 

Eventually, Jessica began asking her questions about what to do with their non-existent history project as they waited for their food to cook. She replies, pulling information from the quiz they’ve gone through recently. She knows they’re all over the place with their “ideas”, what else did Jessica expect when she sprung this on her out of the blue. She was not ready.

 

Taeyeon snuck glances over to the duo opposite them from time to time, wondering how they haven’t called bull on their conversation. They weren’t talking to each other and it doesn’t even look like they had an interest in the meat sizzling in front of them. Yuri was still staring murderously at her while Tiffany absently picked at the rice in her bowl.

 

Taeyeon pulled out of her internal musing when she felt Jessica’s fingers brush against her cheek. She blinked owlishly at Jessica, wondering what she was thinking of now being that intimately close with her. Jessica pulls back, inspecting something at her fingertip. She shows it to Taeyeon soon after, smiling cutely at her.

 

“Eyelash. Make a wish.” She says.

 

A wide grin pulls at Taeyeon’s lips as she humorously plucks the tiny hair from Jessica’s finger. Jessica could really be cute sometimes.

 

“A wish? You seriously still believe that?” She giggles.

 

Jessica shoves her shoulder and scrunched her face into a rare pout. Taeyeon stills, blinking at the sight before her. Had their friendship really gone this far already, that showing their cute side to each other became natural?

 

Her grin widens at the thought and she reaches up to pinch Jessica’s cheek, cooing at the cute display. Of course, Jessica swats away her hand and she gritted her teeth at the follow-up kick to her shin from her cousin. Seriously, those two should get together, for the sake of her bruised shin.

 

Taeyeon squeezes her eyes shut, makes a quick wish, then, placing the lash on her palm she throws it over her shoulder. Her eyes naturally move to Tiffany. She was staring at them with an unreadable expression, and if Taeyeon didn’t know better she would have thought Tiffany had completely zoned out on them.

 

“Looks like your wish will come true.” Jessica says, pointing down to her hand. Taeyeon follows her gaze. Keeping up with Jessica’s plan had given Taeyeon clammy hands, and yet the singular lash seemed to have detached from her sweaty palm. She grinned broadly at Jessica, giggling when the latter gave her an encouraging smile and a wink.

 

 

 

 

 

Tiffany couldn’t believe her eyes. She didn’t want to, but it was all there. Taeyeon, her Tae-Tae, giggling and sharing unspoken conversations with someone else.

 

And to think, she had gone through lengths to keep close to Jessica, letting her tongue loose (looser than usual) to keep her roommate occupied through the ride to their destination. She knew Jessica wasn’t paying full attention to their conversation, but it did keep Taeyeon a few lengths away from the girl, so Tiffany counted that as a win on her part.

 

That was until they arrived at the restaurant. When Taeyeon had slipped her hand into hers, she had instinctively slipped her fingers through the gaps, pulling the elder closer to her. She was ecstatic when Taeyeon didn’t let go as they’re led to the couch seat. After nearly a full day of feeling invisible to the girl that initiative to hold her hand had lifted the feeling of frustration that had stewed in her. And for that split moment, she had completely forgotten to look out for Jessica.

 

It was her mistake to let go and slip in first. To not pull Taeyeon with her. The next thing she knew Jessica was pushing Yuri to the space beside her while Taeyeon slunk away to the opposite side. She was seriously getting sick of her roommate. Her fingers itched to wrap themselves around her pretty little neck and watch her pretty face turn blue.

 

She shook her head off the thoughts, reminded herself that Jessica was their friend. Jessica was a good person and did not deserve death by strangulation. But she was really pushing her buttons, and that aggravating sweet look she was giving her Taeyeon was rubbing Tiffany in all the wrong ways.

 

Throughout dinner, Tiffany would look on in silent envy. Jessica would smile, reach to touch Taeyeon’s arm, slap her shoulder playfully and would place a piece of meat or side dish on Taeyeon’s bowl. She itched to pull Jessica away, have a good talk with her. Things like ‘what the hell do you think you’re doing?’ or ‘Keep your wandering hands to yourself’ were the few that came to mind, disregarding the other… unsavoury choice of words to describe Jessica. But she couldn’t, not after she had unwittingly trapped herself at the inner couch.

 

So she ate, snuck (longing)stares and, from time to time, forced a smile on her face. Every action felt like a stab to her chest. It felt like her personal brand of hell.

 

The meat had never tasted so bland before.

 

The end of dinner couldn’t have come faster. As soon as Yuri successfully lifted her out of the couch Tiffany made a beeline for the counter to pay for her meal. She turned a blind eye to the amount, knowing what she ate didn’t even come close to break even with the bill. But that was of no importance at the moment.

 

She felt a soft bump to her side and she didn’t need to look over to know who that was. Yuri was too extravagant to know subtlety and she’s invaded Jessica’s personal space too much for her liking to even think of initiating contact. She kept her gaze straight, thanking the cashier tiredly before making a hasty exit.

 

The breath of fresh air and the cold sting on her exposed flesh felt like a splash of cold water. She felt her eyes beginning to burn and the constriction around her chest tightening the longer Taeyeon took to follow her out. “Must be enjoying Jessica’s company.” She sneered, then chuckled coldly at herself.

 

“What did you expect,” she continued, turning to watch the trio still stuck around the front counter through the glass double doors. “you’re only her best friend. It’s not like that automatically means you’ve stuck claim on her… God, what am I even saying?”

 

Tiffany runs a frustrated hand over her face, brushing away the lone tear that had escaped its confines. She turned her back to the door, not wanting the others to see her. Having her feelings dissected was the last thing she wanted to happen. The laughter that comes with the opening of the doors forces Tiffany to straighten up. With one last swipe of her arm, she had successfully fixed her appearance.

 

“Let’s head back. The bus’ll be arriving any minute.” Yuri’s husky voice over powers the soft giggling coming from Jessica and Taeyeon. Tiffany clenches her hands at the mental image of the two, their heads together, brushing hands on arms and wrapping the other in a side hug, completely into a world of their own.

 

She sighed tiredly. There was no way she could stay with them. She didn’t know if she could bear to watch Jessica flirt with Taeyeon any longer. She didn’t have enough energy to keep her roommate away and she was mentally drained from watching the two through dinner. She had to get away.

 

“You guys go ahead. I’m going to stop by the grocers for something.” Tiffany lies, already moving away from their small group. “I’ll see you guys back at the dorm.” She follows up in a clipped tone, ending the conversation.

 

She does not look back to check if they’re leaving without her, only increasing her brisk walk to get away faster. She turns a corner, her footsteps faltering when she doesn’t hear a thing. No following footsteps. She feels something in her break a little more.

 

Maybe she was being a little selfish. Maybe Taeyeon really likes Jessica, they have acted incredibly close through the day. Taeyeon wasn’t one to act first, so that cheek pinch had stayed in Tiffany’s mind the rest of dinner.

 

How did they become that close? Were they that close before and she had just chose to ignore it. Had she been so focused on herself that she forgot to take a step back and look around?

 

Maybe it was time for her to step back. As a best friend, she should be happy for the both of them. She shouldn’t be selfish.

 

She breathes deeply, forcing her legs to move. She doesn’t take more than five steps when she hears it, the tapping sound of running feet.

 

“Ppany-ah, wait!” Her steps falter and she whirls around in surprise. Her heart makes a short leap at the sight of Taeyeon’s small form half jogging to catch up.

 

“Taeyeon? What’re you..”

 

“Sica said it wouldn’t be safe for you to-” Taeyeon gasped as soon as she was by her side.

 

And just like that, something in Tiffany snaps. But of course, Jessica would send her.

 

“Go away, Taeyeon.” She snaps. Her voice is cold, detached. She stares down at the shock-puzzled look on Taeyeon’s face and steels her heart.

 

“What- No! It’s getting dark and I’m not leaving you to wander about town alone.”

 

“Go away. Go be with Jessica. You seem to like her company.” More than mine, she wanted to add spitefully but holds her tongue. “Besides, I’m a big girl. I’ll be fine.”

 

She resets her pace and dared not look behind her. She thinks Taeyeon would give up chasing her then and run back to Jessica. They would make a great pair, two homebodies cuddling up under the same blanket. Her guts twisted uncomfortably and she squeezed her eyes shut, willing the uncomfortable feeling away.

 

“You sure aren’t acting like one!” Taeyeon throws back at her. She tries to ignore her, but the grip around her forearm jerks her back. Tiffany swivels, riding the motion, and scowl right back at the disapproving frown Taeyeon was giving her.

 

She pulls at her arm harshly. “Just leave me alone.”

 

“The hell, Ppany? Why are you angry?” Tiffany rolls her eyes and turns to leave, but Taeyeon, having none of it, grabs her by her shoulder. “Hey! Stop walking away and talk to me!”

 

“You want me to talk? Fine! Why are you still here?! I don’t need you! Just go away!” she shouts, regretting it soon after the words left her lips. Taeyeon’s expression morphs into shock as her hands drop to her side limply and she takes a step back. Tiffany grits her teeth and forces herself to look away.

 

She did not mean to say any of that. But there was just so much anger bubbling up out of nowhere, and she was so sure Taeyeon was going to hate her for that. Her hands clench into fists. Maybe it would be better this way. She needed to stay away for now, to prepare her heart of the possibility that the one person that she felt completed her could be cuddling with someone else in the near future. She needed to let Taeyeon go.

 

The tight grip around her wrist stops her from making a blind bolt. She looks up, another round of awful yelling at the tip of her tongue when the sight of the scared, confused look swept the anger out of her.

 

“Why are you saying that? What have I done wrong?” Taeyeon questions, her voice cracking as she takes a hesitant step closer. A few, fat tears were falling down her flush cheeks as her body trembled. Tiffany doubts it’s from the cold.

 

“Tae..” Tiffany sighs. She tries to pull her hand back, but the grip around her only tightens as a look of panic flashes across Taeyeon’s face.

 

“Tell me, Ppany-ah. Please, I-I-I can fix it. It’s.. I haven’t..” Taeyeon’s eyes fell to the floor, searching for the words that seemed to escape her. They return back to look into Tiffany’s, frustration mixed with desperation painting her once calm appearance. “I can change. Just- please, don’t push me away. Don’t- Don’t leave me.” She ends with a squeak, too tight to let her speak properly.

 

“I need you.” She says as her knees give in and she falls to the floor.

 

Tiffany’s body reacts before her brain could fully comprehend Taeyeon’s frantic confession. Her jealousy forgotten, squashed by the overwhelming need to comfort. She goes on her knees and wraps her arms around the sobbing girl to pull her as close as possible while she rubs her back soothingly.

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it. I am so, so sorry.” She mutters as she runs her hand up and down Taeyeon’s back in a soothing way. Taeyeon only clutches at her clothes, her sobs turning a smidge louder.

 

“No, Taeyeon. Sh… Sh.. I didn’t mean what I said. Oh God, sh…” She presses a kiss against Taeyeon’s forehead and continues her cooing. She rubs, pats and even presses soft, chaste kisses all over Taeyeon’s face until her sobbing tappers down to soft breathing. Even then Tiffany coos sweetly into her ear.

 

When Taeyeon finally pulls away she directs a doleful look at Tiffany. Tiffany shakes her head and clicks her tongue at the messy, red face, using the edges of her sweater to wipe at Taeyeon’s cheeks.

 

“Tsk. Look at you. Even your hair’s a mess. You should have just gone back with Jessica and Yuri.” She berates half-heartedly as she fixes up the strands she disturbed in her patting. “I’m sorry I shouted at you. I was just.. in a bad mood and I ended up taking it out on you. You know, I didn’t mean any of the mean things I said, right.”

 

Taeyeon meekly nods her head, leaving it to hang down with her bottom lip jutting out into a pout. At Tiffany’s soft chuckles she peers up at her, her eyes hardening as she mentally readies herself.

 

“Ppany-ah… I love you.”

 

“I love you too, Taeyeon-ah.” Tiffany mindlessly returns the sentiments, now moving to rub the remaining wetness from under Taeyeon’s jaw.

 

“No, Ppany-ah I…” Taeyeon flatters. She reaches up, wrapping her hands over Tiffany’s and pull them down to their laps. Tiffany looks to her eyes, her brows disappearing under her fringe at the intense stare and wonders why the sudden seriousness just moments after crying.

 

“I… I…” Taeyeon’s face crumples, her words failing her. Tiffany chuckles softly at the typical reaction. Taeyeon was never a girl of words.

 

“You.. you.. what TaeTae?” she said teasingly, hoping to get even a small smile out of Taeyeon.

 

“I..’m..” Tiffany tilts her head, silently urging Taeyeon to get whatever she wanted to say out of her chest.

 

Tiffany didn’t expect a pair of cool hands cupping her face. She especially hadn’t anticipated a pair of soft lips pressed up against her own. She didn’t know where her thoughts had gone the instant her face heated up at the kiss. But what she was sure of was that Taeyeon was kissing her, in the middle of the empty street just around the corner of a busy restaurant.

 

Of all the possible things to happen that night, being kissed by her best friend was not one of the scenarios she had thought would happen. And the very first thought that popped into her mind was very fitting.

 

Holy !

 

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon fiddled with the loose change in her palm. She directed her eyes to the green neon light that flashed the amount for her melona ice cream then to the smiling old man at the other side of the counter. She dug into her pockets and pulled out a few loose bills.

 

“You know, it’s not good for you to eat ice cream in this cold weather.” The old man kindly advised.

 

Taeyeon nodded along to his words, not really paying too much attention as she scanned the multitude of lollies just on the rack to the side.

 

“I need it.” She mumbled, reaching for a small pack of gummy worms and placing it beside the single item.

 

“Need it?” The old man quirks an inquisitive brow. “Did you go through a rough patch or something?”

 

“Or something.” Taeyeon grunted, debating whether two packs would be pushing it. She wanted it though.

 

“Okay.” He ran the gummy packet under the scanner. “That’s $5.40… You know, you shouldn’t fall back on sweets when something doesn’t go your way.”

 

Taeyeon blinks up at the man then slowly shook her head. “I-I’m not… It’s uh…” she grins sheepishly, a hand coming up to her rub at her neck. “I’m kind of celebrating something.”

 

“Oh… well, whatever it is, congratulations.”

 

“Thanks.” She smiles up at the man.

 

A second later, a weight presses up against her back and four boxes of pocky sticks and a caramel cornetto were added to the counter. Thin arms then curl around her neck, pulling her slightly back.

 

“Sorry it took me a while. I couldn’t decide on which one to get. So, I got all four of them.” Tiffany muttered to her back.

 

“Hey, as long as you’re sharing them,” She chuckled as Tiffany pulls away to properly shove her shoulder.

 

“You’re terrible.”

 

“Aww… I love you too, Miyoungie.” Taeyeon gave her a full-blown grin, knowing this time Tiffany knew exactly what she meant.

 

“Whatever, dork.” Tiffany responds, rolling her eyes in exasperation. Under the counter she reaches for Taeyeon’s hand, slipping her fingers through hers. The both of them exchange shy smiles and loving gaze, each wishing earnestly in their hearts that their love will be their first and last.

 

~~~

A/N: At last~ Taeny is official!