Chapter 3 - Introductions

Placebo

“Where have you been?” The familiar ring of a loud, husky voice greeted her as soon as she stepped into her shared room. Standing akimbo in the middle of their room like she was the boss of the place, wearing a huge buzz lightyear character shirt that ended mid-thigh and a pair of blue checker boxer short that was barely peaking under the length of her shirt, was none other than her roommate with her long red hair nearly blindin-

 

Wait, what?

 

Jessica squeezed her eyes shut, shaking her head a little. The heat must’ve gotten to her. Her roommate so did not have long red hair. “Is uh… Ti-Tiffany? What’s with the red hair?”

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes and reached up to the crown of her head, lifting the long red tress to reveal a mess of short brown that she was used to. “I borrowed the wig from the drama club for a project. Now answer my question, where were you?”

 

Jessica wanted to slap herself silly. Of course it was a wig. Wow, maybe she needed to go out a little more. She should start getting used to the sun.. before it melted her brain. Damn that tall, annoying Kwon girl. And did the girl just demand an answer from her?

 

“Gezz, mom, I just came from my last period.” Jessica replied, moving towards her side and dumping her bag by the foot of her bed.

 

“I meant history class.” Tiffany deadpanned.

 

Jessica froze. They weren’t classmates, how could she know?

 

“I- I’m sorry?” she turned, slowly, almost rigidly. “Wh- how did you know?”

 

“Tae-Tae told me.”

 

Tae-who now? “Who?”

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes in exasperation before jerking her head towards her side of the room. On her bed was a kid faced girl chewing happily on a bar of what looked like granola bars. Funny, Jessica thought, it looked the same as the brand she eats. Her eyes roamed over to the familiar box sticking out under her bed. Wasn’t the box shoved further inside?

 

She gasped. “Is that from my stash?”

 

Tiffany’s face, seriousness fading as she glanced back at her dear childhood friend, switched into an apologetic look as her eyes darted from the box peeking out from under Jessica’s bed when she haphazardly kicked it back then to Jessica’s accusing stare. “Oh… Yeah, sorry. Tae-Tae got hungry.”

 

“Why?” Jessica started, her voice nearly cracking as it took on a higher pitch. “Why would you give her my food? Without my permission.”

 

“I’m sorry. She got hungry while we waited for you. She skipped lunch looking for you when she found out you left before I did this morning, so I thought you wouldn’t mind if I gave her one.” Tiffany retaliated, her voice, growing louder after every word, taking on an edge as she took a step towards the smaller girl who had by then stopped eating and was focusing on the bed sheet.

 

Jessica wanted to scream. Great now she was the bad guy. How the hell did the kid know she didn’t go to history class? Better question, how did she even know she had history with Mrs. Goo in the first place? But that sad look she was giving her, coupled with the fact that she skipped lunch to look for her made her feel guilty. It didn’t help that Tiffany was glaring at her. It was the first time she’d seen another expression on the girl’s face other than happy. It was quite unnerving.

 

Jessica sighed, swallowing down her pride. Oh how she hated the feeling. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have reacted that way. It’s just one bar anyway. Um..”

 

“Taeyeon.” Tiffany supplied, her arms crossed but her tone was significantly lighter.

 

“Taeyeon, right. Um… how did you know I skipped?”

 

Taeyeon tilted her head, eyes still locked to the bed as she played with a loose thread. “How could I not. You always came in late and Mrs. Goo kept grilling you every single time." An image of a middle aged woman with red plastic frames for her glasses and a perpetual scowl flashed in her mind. So that was who Mrs. Goo was. Jessica stored that in her memory, making a note to herself to try and keep away from the woman's bad side. "She was even complaining how you didn’t even try to come this time around.” Taeyeon continued, a small smile tugged at her lips. “I didn't think you noticed but we’re in the same class. I sat at the back.”

 

“Oh…” She honestly couldn't recall any of her classmates faces. Well there were about three dozen students per class anyway they were still in the first month, not knowing everyone in her class was a given. She scrutinized the girl carefully, her lips pulling into a tight line. A kid genius? “How old are you?”

 

The question was met with a loud laugh, courtesy of Tiffany. The earlier tension from the girl eased away as she clutched her stomach, trying and failing in stopping her laugher. Jessica bristled; she was getting laughed at a lot for the day. Her eyes switched from the nearly-crying-from-laughing-too-much Tiffany to the other girl who looked just as pissed as she felt.

 

“I’m sorry.” Tiffany gasped, finally getting a grip over herself. She turned to Taeyeon smiling apologetically before flinging herself to the pouting girl for a hug. “Aww… is someone mad at me?” she cooed, poking the girl’s cheek. The girl just swatted her hand away and readjusted herself so that her back was facing them.

 

“I’m the same age.” She grumbled.

 

Jessica nodded her head as she made her way to her side, dumping herself ungracefully on the bed. The last thing she wanted to be was a third-wheel, and by the way the two girls were acting- with Tiffany draped over Taeyeon’s smaller body- it was plainly progressing into that. Best keep to herself then, she thought as she curled up into a ball hoping to get a little shut eye before she had to force herself up to do her assignments.

 

“Hey Jessie, you haven’t answered my question yet!”

 

Jessica groaned. And here she was hoping that she’d forget. “I got lost, okay.”

 

“What?!” Tiffany screeched. Jessica cringed at the volume.

 

“Yeesh… Could you be any louder?” Jessica hissed, springing up from her position just to shoot a half-hearted glare at the loud girl.

 

“But it’s been weeks!”

 

“Yeah, well I at memorizing and this place is too big.”

 

“Why didn’t you say so before? I could have given you a tour. No wait! That’s it!” Tiffany said, snapping her finger like she had just come upon a great discovery. “I’ll give you a tour. Tomorrow. It’ll be great!”

 

Oh God, not another one. “No thanks.” She said quickly, flopping back to the bed, then, realizing how it sounded recomposed her statement. “I mean, someone already gave me a tour.” Jessica said, sneering as she recalled the so-called “Amazing Kwon” tour. Her legs still ached from all that brisk walking they’ve done.

 

“You did?” There was a hint of disappointment in the girl’s tone, but then Tiffany’s eyes twinkled as she neared Jessica’s bed. “Was that why you didn’t go to history?”

 

“Yes, Tiffany. That’s exactly why I didn’t show up for history." Jessica replied exasperatedly as she pulled her cushion to her chest. "What’s with the twenty questions anyway?”

 

“Was he hot?” Tiffany fired back, ignoring Jessica’s previous statement, a mischievous smirk plastered across her face.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“You skipped History class and agreed to have a tour of the school all of a sudden, with a stranger no less, when you haven’t even had breakfast, lunch or dinner with me when I’ve been asking you to join me since we moved in. The person that gave you the tour was a hottie, wasn’t he?” Tiffany said, all in one breath, now grinning from ear to ear.

 

Jessica stared incredulously at her grinning roommate. “Okay one, how can you say all of that without taking a breather? And two, what makes you assume that the person is a ‘he’?”

 

“She didn’t deny the hottie part.” Taeyeon interjected, earning a glare from Jessica and a creepier grin from Tiffany.

 

“Oh please, Jessie. What are we kids? Yes, you’re a bit reclusive-“

 

“I’m not!” Jessica objected.

 

“- but even an agriphobic person would dress up for a party if a hottie asked them out.” Tiffany continued as if she hadn’t been interrupted.

 

“Actually, Ppani-yah, it’s agoraphobic, and an agoraphobic person would never leave their-“

 

“Tae-Tae..” Tiffany cooed, cutting Taeyeon’s statement off. Her head turned to face Taeyeon and the girl immediately clammed up, turning her attention back to what’s left of her bar. Jessica was oblivious to the exchange since she had smashed her face deep into her pillow right after her objection.

 

Tiffany sighed at her roommate’s childish reaction and carefully sat at the edge of the bed. “You can’t hold your breath for long Jung Jessica.”

 

There was a muffled reply but then a few seconds later Jessica’s head snapped up as she greedily in air, coughing a little. Tiffany shook her head and reached for the girl’s back, gently rubbing her hand over the gasping girl’s back.

 

"Face it girl, you're just like the rest of us human beings. Just admit it, you fell for that person's charms and now you can't wait to see that person again."

 

Can't wait until the next possible time to throttle the girl was more like it. And fell for her charms? Please, the girl was evil. There's nothing charming about an evil woman. Even her laugh sounded evil.

 

"Thinking about your hottie again?"

 

Jessica gritted her teeth and pretended not to hear, lowering her head back down to the soft surface of her pillow. If she ignored Tiffany for over a minute, chances were she'd grow tired and move on to another topic. As gossipy as Tiffany can be she had quite a short attention span and would quickly move from topic to topic without missing a beat.

 

"Ppany-ah, can we go to the cafeteria now?" That or until someone else catches her attention.

 

"Oh, fine." Thank you kid-face girl. Burying her head further into the comforts of her pillow her eyelids fluttered shut in preparation for a quick nap. Just as her thoughts clouded over with the beginnings of a sleep induced haze a hand gripped her wrist, once again pulling her mind away from the sleep she so craved for.

 

“Why~?” she whined, belatedly catching herself and she gritted her teeth, her expression masked into that of nonchalance as she turned to her gaping roommate, now changed into proper I'm-going-out clothes.

 

“Oh my... Do that again.” Tiffany goaded, the excitement in her voice unmasked. By then Taeyeon had moved from her perch on the bed, sliding beside the taller girl to peer curiously at Jessica.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

“That thing you just did! Tae you heard it too right?” she turned to Taeyeon who vigorously nodded her head. “That was cute! Do it again.”

 

“Aren’t we going to the cafeteria or what?” Jessica asked fervently, pushing herself off the bed and past the two towards the door.

 

“Oh My God! I am never going to forget this moment! Who knew- Oh My God!” Tiffany continued to spazz, her language switching from English to Korean then back to English, as she watched after the retreating figure of her (embarrassed)roommate. “No- Hey, wait up Jessie!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“See, this place isn’t bad. It’s not like a posh Italian restaurant, but not bad.”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes at the smug Tiffany wanting nothing more than to wipe the grating smirk off her face. “Yeah, yeah. I get it Tiffany.” she said, scrapping of a hefty serving of gray blob of what she guessed was mashed potato off the small slab of meat with her spoon before stabbing the meat with her fork.

 

Taeyeon had gone to who knows where, supposedly meeting a friend or something of the likes, Jessica wasn't really listening since she was too busy picking- trying to figure out the weird looking thing they called food- what to eat. Tiffany might have been disappointed after seeing her friend off but at the sight of the pink strawberry cupcakes all was well with the girl. Unfortunately for Jessica a happy Tiffany was a chatty Tiffany.

 

"Oh! Did you hear about the school's basketball team? The star player is such a cutie! Word around is that he likes short girls, I mean you know like petite girls, I guess. I think we fit that category right? But anyway he's always hanging around with his best friend, who's also part of the varsity team and oh my God, his smile is soooo cute! You know, boyish cute."

 

Jessica tried to zone out the sounds around her, mostly Tiffany's fan girling over the school’s varsity basketball team. As amusing as it was to see her roommate spazz about a group of boys they had never met- probably will never meet and maybe had never even seen before- she was currently more interested in the food spread before her. It had been her first time in a while to eat anything other than store bought sandwich and her not-so-secret-anymore stash of granola bars and twinkies. She stuffed the small cut of the meat in , experimentally rolling the meat around her tongue. Her mother could totally make a better braised beef.

 

 

She missed home.

 

"I'm back!" Taeyeon announced as she plopped herself unceremoniously beside Tiffany, the later quick to attach herself to her side in a slightly awkward side hug.

 

"Tae Tae! I missed you!" Taeyeon chuckled as she reciprocated the hug before pulling herself away and taking an untouched sandwich from Tiffany's tray.

 

"I wasn't even gone that long Ppani-ah." She said, managing to take a small bite from the sandwich before Tiffany swiped it away from her.

 

"So? Can't I miss my best friend? And get your own food."

 

"Well since I'm your best friend share your food with me."

 

"No."

 

"Best friends share."

 

Tiffany shook her head, a teasing grin pulling at her lips. "I change my mind. Jessie is now my new best friend."

 

"But… you just said I was your best friend." Taeyeon argued, her bottom lip jutting out into a pout. Jessica wanted to applaud the girl, the whole hurt façade looked really convincing. If only she didn’t know what they were arguing about she might’ve fell for it.

 

"And now I'm telling you you’re not."

 

“But.. Ppany-ah… I thought you liked me. I thought we had something good going on…”

 

“Oh Taeyeon-ah, I do like you sweetie… but it’s not just working out anymore.” Tiffany sighed dramatically. Jessica continued to watch, deliberating between stopping them or leaving the table right at that instant. “I’m sorry Taeyeon-ah but I think we should move on with our lives.”

 

“Ppany-ah… I… understand. I guess this will be farewell… but I get the sandwich as a parting gift!” at the end of her sentence Taeyeon lunged for the sandwich in Tiffany’s grasp. Seeing the movement Tiffany managed to move her hand away at the last second, Taeyeon’s fingers just missing the food by an inch.

 

Jessica was feeling a headache coming on as she watched the exchange. Tiffany was now holding the sandwich away from Taeyeon who was struggling to reach for the sandwich while being restricted by Tiffany's other hand gripping her shoulder. It was comedic and she would have laughed had it not been for looks they were garnering.

 

"I thought you went to meet up with a friend." Jessica asked, stopping the two from further embarrassing themselves, and in extension her.

 

Giving up on the sandwich Taeyeon sat back down, Tiffany following suit a second later, and nodded her head. "I did. She went to grab her dinner. You guys don't mind if she sits with us, right?" She asked, her hopeful gaze directed at Jessica.

 

Jessica narrowed her eyes. "I mean, we could always find another seat if your uncomfortable-"

 

"It's a free country. Do whatever." Jessica intervened, once again immersing herself with her half eaten meal. Taeyeon instantly brightened, a huge grin pulling at her lips as she craned her head- Jessica assumed to look for her friend.

 

"She's great, real friendly. You girls will like her. Here she comes now.” She said as she reached to wave over her friend. Jessica indifferently stuffed another spoonful in , thoughtlessly chewing the mashed potato and meat with her spoon barely out of her lips.

 

Just as she was about to shovel another spoonful  a cheerful, deep yet feminine voice filtered over the noise of the cafeteria to Jessica’s ears. Her chewing slowed to a halt. She had heard that voice before.

 

“Heya couz! Meet my best friend Tippany and her roommate Jesshika.” Taeyeon introduced. Tiffany smiled brightly, waving her hands enthusiastically while her eyes formed into crescent ‘happy-smiles’(as she calls them). Jessica remained unmoving, spoon halfway down to her plate.

 

“So this is the best friend you wouldn’t stop yammering about.” The girl smirked.

 

“Yah! This little…”

 

A small teasing smirk pulled at the corner of Tiffany’s lips as her eyes flickered from the new addition to the irritated yet embarrassed face of her best friend. “How flattering, but unfortunately Taeyeon-ssi and I just broke off our friendship.” she deadpanned. Taeyeon pouted, fixing Tiffany a serious look before sighing in defeat, raising her hand up in mock surrender.

 

“Anyway, Ppany-ah, Jesshika-ssi, that… thing… there is my cousin, Yuri.” Taeyeon continued, emphasizing the ‘thing’ part and giving a semi-satisfied smirk at the annoyed look scrunching up her cousin’s face.

 

“That thi- ei, be glad there are a lotta witnesses here, see. Or I’da pummel ya.” Yuri said, expertly handling her tray with one hand while playfully shoving Taeyeon behind the head with the other.

 

Tiffany giggled. “You’re right. I like your cousin.” She declared grinning up at Yuri. “Yuri-ssi, don’t be shy, take a seat.” She says, the ‘Yuri’ coming out more like ‘Yu-wree’ and Jessica wondered why the sudden laps of accent when all the other times she’s proven to have grasped the proper pronunciation of the Korean language, but then quickly discarded the thought when the new addition took the empty seat beside her.

 

“Thank you, Tippany-ssi.” Yuri grins at Tiffany, the later grinned back as she shrugged her shoulders offhandedly.

 

Finally Yuri turns to Jessica, the smile on her face not faltering in the least. “Jesshika-ssi.” She nods her head politely. Jessica’s brow arched inquisitively but reminded herself to be polite and returned the action, albeit a little stiffly. Did the girl forget already?

 

“Nice to see you again.” Or not.

 

“Oh, have you two met before?” Tiffany asked, her entire being practically radiated with restricted energy that’s just pleading to be let out. Jessica grimaced, she had a feeling this was not gonna be good for her mental state.

 

“Yeah, we-“

 

“We bumped into each other recently.” Jessica cut her off, discreetly motioning with her eyes for Yuri not to say anything further. Better not to tease a hungry lion than to lose a hand. “Thank you for pointing me out to the right direction the last time Yuri-ssi.”

 

Yuri smirked, nodding her head in comprehension. “No biggie.”

 

“Oh.” Tiffany mutters, her body instantly deflating. Jessica cheered in her mind. Crisis averted.

 

“Oh well. Yu-wree-ssi what grade are you in?”

 

“High school, second year.”

 

Tiffany gasped. “Us too! Why haven’t we seen each other before? No- never mind. Hey, since we’re all in the same grade and all we should totally hangout.” Then she turned to face Taeyeon and slapped the shorter girl’s arms.

 

“I’m not even touching your food.” Taeyeon yelped, her hands shot up in surrender. Jessica shook her head, such a wimp.

 

“Yah! Why didn’t you introduce us before?”

 

“W-wha- I- I didn’t think it mattered. We don’t even see each other that much.” Taeyeon stuttered out, crossing her arms in front of her to act as a shield. “I’m sorry?” Again Jessica shook her head. She was worse than a wimp, she was totally whipped. And Jessica would’ve felt sorry for her, if only it wasn’t so funny seeing her normally happy-go-lucky roommate boss around someone who would’ve easily passed off as her younger sister.

 

Taeyeon turned her attention towards their direction. Jessica couldn’t help the pitiful smile pulling at the side of her lips. The short girl glared at them and Jessica nearly laughed at the feeble attempt. Well with a cute kid-like face to match her kid-like stature it was hard to look intimidating. “You heard her Yul. Cross out your schedule, you’ll be eating dinner with us for the rest of the term.” She ordered.

 

Yuri grinned, jovially nodding her head. “Sounds good to me. It’d be nice to hang around and get to know new acquaintances.”

 

“Alright!” Tiffany cheered pumping her fist in the air. “That’s settled then. You heard that Jessie? You’ll be eating dinner with us..”

 

“I haven’t even agreed!” Jessica protested, half-rising up from her seat. Yuri chuckled beside her and she timidly plops back down, a faint blush colouring her cheek.

 

“… even if I have to drag your screaming all the way here.” Tiffany continues as if she wasn’t interrupted. Jessica shoots a glare her way but is ignored. “She needs the company, I’m afraid her lack of a social life will turn her into a sociopath.”

 

Yuri laughs and the faint blush turns a shade darker. She glares harder up at Tiffany from under her bangs, wanting nothing more than to slap the teasing smirk off her smug face.

 

“Right, go ahead, dis me as if I’m not here.” Jessica grumbles. She doesn’t mean to have anyone hear it but someone does and the laughing subsides to muffled chuckles.

 

“Ah.. well that’s not so bad. Sociopaths turn out to be geniuses, like that cannibal guy. And not all sociopaths turn out bad. Besides…” One of Jessica’s brows shoots up and she turns her head to Yuri’s direction. “at least she’s pretty enough to pass as normal.” Yuri finishes, grinning from ear to ear. Tiffany and Taeyeon laughs and Yuri sends Jessica an inconspicuous wink, only to further deepen the bush on her face. Oh how she hates her fair complexion at that moment.

 

 

---

 

A/N: And that took a frakin’ long time. Hey guys! Thanks for the subscribes and the upvotes(I don’t even know what that does…). You guys are totally awesome! And I so totally as a writer. Sorry. I can’t seem to like what I write and kept rewriting and deleting and rewriting… I guess it’s because I forgot how to English. Cause I don’t English good. And I don’t word good. And me no habalo Español. So ingles it is.. 

 

Scribbles out