CHAPTER 16

My life in Seoul University.

I woke up feeling so anxious. My eyes scanned the familiar dim room as I tried to sit up straight, feeling tons of weight pulling my body down. I groaned. I managed to lift myself up and kick off the heavy blanket that wasn’t helping my state. I was about to head out the bathroom until I heard something like.. breathing. If Onew hyung isn’t here, then who would.. Jonghyun?! My heart skipped a beat at the thought a found a familiar figure lying uncomfortably on Onew’s bed. His body curled up like a baby, his chocolate brown fringes lying messily on his forehead. Adorab—what?!

“Hey.” No response.

“Hey!” I kicked the side of Onew’s bed lightly.

“Hmmm.” He groaned.

“Hey. If you want to sleep, you should go back to where you live, you know.” My statement obviously brought him back to his senses as he jumped out of the bed. I rolled my eyes as his childish action.

“And I don’t think Onew hyung would be glad if he knew you were just lying on his bed.” He mumbled and apology as he attempted to innocently remove invisible mucus on his eyes. I scoffed.

“You should go now.” I whispered. Why did he stay here if he’s that sleepy?

“But—“

“But what?”

“I thought you’d tell me about..” I sighed. If he waited this long, and technically slept on Onew’a bed just to hear my story.. I guess telling him wouldn’t be that bad, right?

“Hush. Sit down if you want, or do something… just let me use the bathroom first.” I saw him blink his eyes, maybe because of confusion, until his lips broke into a smile. Maybe a genuine one.

“Sure.” He mumbled as he sat on the edge of my bed.

 

 

My face scrunched up as soon as I saw my own reflection on the mirror. My eyes were red and puffy, obviously because of crying. I splashed cold water a couple of times until I felt quite refreshed. I grabbed for the towel and buried my face in it.

“Damn.” I sighed.

I went out only to find a startled Jonghyun staring at me with wide eyes.

“You okay?” I nodded.

“Well..”

“Well.. Why do you want to hear my story?” What makes him this interested.

“Uhh.. I don’t know. I just want to help.. comfort you.” My heart skipped a beat at his bluntness as I could feel my cheeks starting to get warm. I sat beside him to avoid his gaze.

“Well.. I just met my ex today.”

“Ex?” I nodded in agreement.

“To make it short.. He admitted that he cheated on me. End of story.”

“He?”

“Yes, Jonghyun. It’s a he. Any problem with that?” I bitterly asked. He seem astounded as he stared at me with wide eyes, I just rolled my eyes to ignore him until his expression softened.

"I'm not a homophobe, Key, so there's no problem." He warmly smiled as he gave my back comforting .

“It’s okay.”

“No it’s not.”

“It’s gonna be okay, Key.” What makes him this kind?

“You still love him, don’t you?”

“He was my best friend, for Christ’s sake. Of course I still love him, as a friend.”

“Not that kind of love, Key.” I chuckled.

“I know, I know. But no. I don’t love him that kind of way anymore.”

“But why—“

“But why am I this affected?” He nodded.

“Because he cheated on me. I thought I was his best friend, and I thought he was better than that.” He nodded for the umpteenth time, showing that he understood what I was feeling.

“Don’t worry, Key. I could be your new best friend.” He flashed his very confident smile at he looked at me straight into the eye.

“Your what?”

“You heard me.”

“What makes you think I’d allow that to happen? What makes you think—”

“If you won’t allow it, I’m sure as hell that you’d never let me in your room. You’d never let me hear your story, and you’d never let me comfort you, which I’m oddly doing right now.” His smile formed into a smirk, and I swear I could rip off his head if not for my state right now. I was loss for words that I just decided to push him off away from me.

“Shut up.” There was a warm sensation tingling in the pit of my stomach as I tried to hide my probably red as tomato burning cheeks.

“I mean it, Key. I really want to be your best friend, or at least.. your friend.” I waved my hands to dismiss the topic and he just chuckled at my childish attitude.

“Whatever, Jonghyun. Do what you wish to.”  His face broke into a sincere smile as he

mouthed a small thank you.

“Jonghyun.”

“Hm?”

“How do you define friends?” I asked out of nowhere. He surely was taken aback as his eyebrows almost hit the roots of his hair.

“Friends fight for each other. They never leave each other, they stand for each other.” He explained, as simply as that.

“What if the seniors come and bully me, what would you do?” He tensed up and his confident smile visibly faltered. He avoided my gaze and scoffed.

“See..” My smile turned into a frown, and I swear, I felt like something just stabbed me from the back. Why?

“Key..”

“What?” I snapped, trying to control the simmering hatred inside of me.

“It’s not what you think. It’s just—complicated and.. Ugh. .” I sighed. I knew what was bothering him, Onew had told me before. Not everything, but at least I got the point.

“I get it Jonghyun.”

“Key, it’s not what you think.”

“I know, Jonghyun.” I reassured him with a genuine smile, but his sad expression didn’t change a bit.

“You don’t understand.”

“I understand. I seriously understand.” He gave me a questioning gaze, but I just shrugged.

“I’m the Almighty Key, for Christ's sake. Don't doubt me, I know everything.” I joked, attempting to lighten up the mood. He gave a soft chuckle, and ruffled my hair.

“Hey! Don’t mess my hair!”

“It’s already messy.” He countered.

“No it’s not!”

“Well, I’ll be heading out now. It’s kinda getting late.. and maybe you need some privacy.” Privacy? Me? Really?  Maybe it's you who needs it. I scoffed internally at his attempt to get out of the awkward situation.

“You can stay here if you want.” He stared at me in disbelief.

“Or maybe I could stay at your place.. it's kinda lonely here without Onew hyung.” His lips stretched into a wide smile. He nodded in excitement and I could virtually see his tail, endlessly wagging.

“Not much difference, Key.” He chuckled. I knitted my eyebrow in confusion at his statement as he pulled me out of my room.

“Where are we going?”

“To my place, duh.” He answered, sarcasm visible in his voice. Why is this person so damn excited? He giggled as soon as I shut the door shot pulling me towards another room, just across ours.

“What the hell are we going to do in here?” I asked pointing at the door in front of us. He rolled his eyes in amusement as pulled a key out from his pocket. What? He kicked the door open, still not willing to let go of my hand.

“Welcome aboard.” He smiled.

“WHAT? YOU’RE MY NEIGHBOR?!” I incredulously asked and he just wiggled his brows in return.

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Another short yet not-so-crappy one. <3 OMG a Jongkey moment at last.

I was smiling like an idiot while writing this one, and my sister was just laughing at me.

She said 'Looks like you're happy with what you're writing, huh?'

Well, expect the unexpected. I never thought she knew I was writing a freaking story. I was clearly.. shocked for the moment.

But I just got over it and continued to smile like an idiot. Well, nothing new eh?

 

 

THANK YOU OLD AND NEW SUBSCRIBERS! 26 already? Are yoiu kidding me? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LOVING THIS CRAP. LOL. =)))

Well, I mean it. THANK YOU, REALLY. For being with me alllllll throooough out. <3

*Wipes imaginary tears.*