CHAPTER 14

My life in Seoul University.

“Key?” I  furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I studied his features. He called me by my nickname. I got curious so moved a little closer to have a good look and I was surprised.

“Donghae hyung? HYUNG!!” I literally jumped on him out of excitement at the very moment and suffocated him with my very tight hug.

“Can’t— breathe.” I released him from my grasp as he slightly gasped for oxygen and chuckled like an idiot.

“I can’t believe it. Why are you here?” He asked me while slightly shaking my shoulders as if I was asleep.

“I study here, obviously. How about you? Why are you here, hyung?” He chuckled a bit while his eyes studied me with a cocky grin on his face.

“You sure grew up a well, Key. Well, I study here too.”

“WHAT?! Oh my God.” I pulled him to another tight hug as he patted the back of my head. I missed him and I just don’t want to let go. Nothing feels safer than having someone close to your heart make you forget about your problems the moment they hug you.

 

Donghae was one of my closest friends in high school way back then. He was a transferee from Mokpo. They’re family moved to Daegu since they’re having a sort of a problem in their hometown. They lived in the big old vacant apartment beside our eatery across the street. We actually met by accident.

 

Flash back.

 

I was on my way to our eatery to visit my mother when a ball came across my sight and hit me full in the face.

“YAAAHHH!!” I screamed in pain and annoyance. An unfamiliar boy suddenly approached me and apologized. I yanked him away since I don’t want to burst out in front of him. It was really painful. I can’t believe I got hit by a ball in the face. I inwardly grunted.

“Hey. I said I’m sorry..” He spat. I glared at him causing him to back away a bit.

“Sorry? How about I hit your face too right now?” He stared at me for a second, then chuckled. My blood boiled in anger at his cocky attitude. How dare you laugh at my face when you’re the one in the wrong?

“I wasn’t the one who hit your face by this ball, by the way.” He flashed another cocky grin and I just blankly stared back at him, dumbfounded. So he wasn’t the one, huh?

“So, where is he? Who hit me?” I impatiently asked as I stomped my feet. I just wanted to punch this guy for his cocky attitude.

“It was my little sister.” He smirked and pointed at a little girl who was sitting on a bench in front of an old apartment. She was cutely holding a pink plushie with her right hand as she was combing her hair with her little fingers.

“Oh.”

“By the way. I’m really sorry for what happened.” He offered me a handshake which I immaturely declined .

“Whatever.” I mumbled.

“Okay?” He started moving away as I ignored him and made my way to our eatery.

“By the way, I’m Lee Donghae!” He shouted as he waved at me with a smirk on his face.. Lee Donghae? Like I care. I looked away and a sly grin crept upon my face. What a cute name. Lee Donghae.

 

End of flash back.

 

 

I smiled at the memories as I pulled away from the hug.

“Since when did you transfer here?” I heard him ask.

“Just this semester.”

“So you’re new?” It was more of a statement than a question as he calmly nodded his head in understanding.

“Why is it that I only got a chance to see you now, hyung?” I asked with a pout.

“Well, this university is quite big and..”

“I get it, I get it.” We both laughed in chorus.

“Anyway, why are you here alone?”

“I’m not alone, hyung. You’re here with me, duh.” I stated with sarcasm and he laughed a bit.

“You really haven’t changed, Key. You’re still sarcastic as ever!”

“Of course. Never gonna change!” We chuckled in unison.

“Well. Why don’t we look for a seat?” I agreed and we started walking around the old building to find a one. All of the rooms were closed at the moment so we just decided to sit on the staircase from before. It’s not like we had a choice.

“So.. tell me about yourself.”

“Huh?” I asked in confusion.

“I mean, how have you been? It’s been almost a two years and a half since I last heard of you.” My face scrunched up as faint memories flooded my mind.

“Well. My family has been well, I guess. I mean, not financially of course.”

“Oh..” His face faltered when he caught a sight of my slightly upset expression.

“No need to frown.” He said as he pinched my cheeks causing me to slightly fall back on my seat.

“Yah!” I yelled while chuckling as he started tickling my sides.

“See! I never fail to make you happy.” He bragged with an insolent grin on his face.

“So, how about the eatery? Is Hyojin eommeonim still working on it?” My lips curled up into a real smile when I heard him say my mother’s name. Since we were best of friends, my mother had already treated Donghae as if he was her own son too.

“She’s perfectly fine, I guess. Well, about the eatery, I guess it’s ideally fine too?”

“You don’t seem like you talk to them. Why?” He questioned.

“Uhm. Well, I never had the guts to call them since the day I arrived in Seoul.” His face suddenly turned serious.

“Why?”

“I just don’t feel like it.” I spat without looking at him in the eye.

“I just don’t want them to miss me.” He eyed me in concern as he my back in a comforting manner.

“I understand.”

“You do?” I asked.

“Well, yeah. Since the day I left Daegu to study in Seoul, I assume that none of you ever heard of me, right?” His face hardened as I stared as him in disbelief.

“You mean—“

“I did it on purpose.” His eyes started to water and I just looked away. My heart started beating faster and faster as I was trying to hold in the agitation I was feeling.

“Aside from not hearing any news from you since the day you left.. Well, you never even said goodbye.. to anyone of us. Nobody knew, Hae. I nearly got crazy, literally.” My voice started to quiver as I tried to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall.

“Key..”

“Donghae. Our relationship never had a closure. I mean—“ He squeezed my hand as a tear fell from his left eye.

“You never said anything, Hae. You just left me.. my family. I cried for you every single night. I even tried calling you for weeks, or even months even though I know you’d never pick up. You never replied to any of my messages. I was heartbroken, really—“

“Key.”

“Since the day you left, I was never the same. It was just— just so hard for me.”

“Key, I’m so sorry. Please—“

“No need.”

“But—“

“I really got angry. I really was; to the point that I never wanted to see you ever again. But on its counterpart, I really wanted to see you. I was really sad. I really missed you, Hae. But sooner or later, the scars you left seemed to heal step by step, time to time. I learned how to get over the fact you left me and I— I learned how to forgive you.”

“But still.. I’m really sorry. Just please— please let me explain.”

“No need.” I sincerely smiled. I really had forgiven him a long time ago.

“So..” He scratched the back of his head.

“So?” I asked.

“Friends?”

“We were always friends, though.” He faked a cough.

“So..”

“So what again?” I asked, a bit annoyed and nervous at the same time.

“Best friends?” My heart skipped a beat as I heard him say the word best friend. I contemplated for a while, while staring at his very eyes.

“I guess so..”

 

 

 

The rain finally stopped. Thank God. I really hated it. We marched towards the nearest food store outside the campus to take our late lunch.

“Just sit here, I’ll order for us.”

“But—“

“No more buts.” My mouth quickly shut close as he went to the counter to order us something to munch on. Growl. My baby anacondas are really hungry. After minutes of waiting, mouth-watering aroma filled the air, making me hungry even more. He placed they food tray on front of me and I clapped my hands in excitement.

“At last.” I quickly grabbed my utensils, ready to ingest everything laid on my plate.

“Be careful, it’s hot.” Donghae warned while laughing a bit. I ignored him and started digging in my food. I literally shoved everything I could in my mouth, causing him to stare at me in disbelief.

“You’re that hungry?”

“No.” I sarcastically replied as I rolled my eyes on him.

“Just eat. Don’t mind me.” He nodded and started eating his food in peace. We finished our main course and ordered some desert for touch up.

“Shall we head back to the campus?” He asked. I just nodded and wrapped my beige scarf around my neck. This is going to be a long cold afternoon. We started walking again on the damp road and I hate it. I hate it when unclean water spatter on my shoes and clothes. I occasionally make grunting sounds on our way back, gaining few chuckles from Donghae.

“Stop laughing at me, will you?”

“Okay okay, calm down. It’s just.. you look cute when you do that.”

“Cute your .” His face fell at my sarcastic rudeness, but I guess he should be used to it. It’s a part of me people can’t ever change, I guess.

I suddenly heard a car swiftly passing by our way and I didn’t like the idea of being soaking wet with dirty water. In the meantime, Donghae just gave me a weird look and I just groaned in frustration. I quickly went behind him for cover then.. SPLASH!  All the dirty wet splashes were received by him, and he just froze in his place.

“Did you just use me as your freaking cover?” He seriously questioned me and I just laughed at him while holding my stomach.

“Stop laughing!” He pouted like child.

“I wish I could stop, but I really couldn’t!” I reasoned defensively. I continued to laugh my heart out until I got tired of it.

“I told you, I never fail to make you happy. I’m so proud of myself.”

“Stop being such a braggart, Lee Donghae.” I rolled my eyes and kicked the ground to splash some water to him.

“Yah!! Kim Kibum!!!” I playfully ran away from him and he chased me.

“Yah! You owe me, Kim Kibum.”

 “What did I do? I didn’t do anything!” I stated defensively and flashed my innocent grin. I broke into another fit of laughter when he pouted.

“Yah!!”

“I didn’t do anything.” I laughed again.

“Well.. you made me wet.” I was about to throw another fit of laughter, but I held it in when realization hit me.

“Wait, WHAT?!?!” He smirked.

“You heard me.” My mouth fell wide open, obviously surprised by what’s happening.

“Not that kind of wetness, Key. Tss. You’ve really got an almighty dirty mind.”

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Author’s note:

 

WAS IT TOO BORING? :( COMMENTS PLEASE. 3 I’m not satisfied with my past chapter updates. Omg, kill me now! :(

I know that was very unexpected. Yes, Key and Donghae had something in the past. Donghae left him to study in Seoul, but he never told Key. So obviously, Key was upset and everything. It was already two and a half years, so.. Key had moved on.

And then.. Hmmmm. Key made Hae wet. LOL. =))))))))))))))) Sue this dirty thoughts of mine. ;)) DONGHAE IS NOT EVEN A GIRL, SO HE MUSTN’T BE WET. HE MUST BE HARD. LOL AT KEY. FAIL, IT IS? :)))

So.. on with the story! =))

 

PLEASE DON’T HATE LEE DONGHAE.:’( He’s too handsome to have haters. LOL.  Btw, this is a JONGKEY fic. Not a DONGKEY one. Lol. Sounds like donkey, eh?

 

So. An update, it is. Thank you so much for reading and subscribing! Lovelots. <3

 

/ starthatsshinee.