Closer Than The Surface

Chasing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chasing You

Chapter Two

Closer Than The Surface

"Good morning, Sehun!"

It's her usual cheerful voice that greets him. Honestly, he's used to it and will always ignore it. Giving her attention will just boost her already inflated ego that is only present around him. He can see her expression so clearly as she walks towards him, the look on her face makes it seem like they haven't seen each other for years. Almost like she missed him so much, but surprisingly, he does not find it creepy. Also, the fact that she is wearing white today doesn't faze him; after all, he's wearing white too.

It is a lazy Saturday and every weekend Ah Reum always visits the Oh household that is just across her house. She comes consistently, never missing a day because the weekend is the only time she can talk to Sehun about personal things without having to worry about the judging looks of other people. Ah Reum knows that it always bothers him, but Ah Reum isn't doing anything wrong, so there's no reason to stop. At first, Sehun was strongly annoyed at how she remains persistent, but she just won't stop so he let her have her way.

Sehun, who is currently drinking his coffee while reading a book, scowled. "Go away. I don't want you in my house."

It's too late. She has already gotten through the fence and into his yard.

She smiles widely at him and slams her hands lightly on the table right in front of her. "We're neighbors, and our families are close, so I'm welcome here," she states, crossing her arms in the process before walking towards the door.

She opens the door, letting herself in. She is welcome in the Oh household. Her mother, Jiyoung, is the best friend of Oh Shin Ae, Sehun's mom. Ah Reum has been visiting every week for five years now. She never gets tired of it because of the many reasons, such as the warm welcome she receives from Sehun's family and how annoyed Sehun would be whenever she drops by to visit.

Ah Reum turns around and notices how Sehun immediately followed her inside, watching her every move as she makes her way over to the kitchen.

Her actions are quite normal as if she is an official resident in the household. 

Sehun raises his eyebrows. "You don't plan on staying here all day again, do you?" He asks with a not so welcoming tone. It has been five years already, and he is still asking her this. He feels dumb for a second.

"Unfortunately, I do," she answers casually and jumps on the couch. "Have you finished reading your book?" She asks as she tries to find the remote control of the television that's usually stuck in the sides of the couch. She knows this household so much.

Sehun places his empty cup and book on the table. "What's it to you?"

"I'm planning on borrowing that." It is her simple answer. The rudeness doesn't affect her.

"Again?"

She has always been like that. His interests are also becoming her interests. She will always borrow things from him, not just because she wants to have a reason to see and talk to him, but also to know him better, his likes and dislikes. They are growing, and things that people their age like and dislike are dynamic, so she wants Sehun to update her about his life as much possible. Only because she wants to be a big part of his life.

She looks at him and glares. "Oh, don't you dare refuse because in the end, you always end up letting me borrow your things."

"Then my kindness vanished now. No." It seems like his answer is final, but she knows better.

Ah Reum removes her slippers and places her feet on the couch. "Sehun, why are you so mean to me? You don't act like that around other people," she asks as she makes herself comfortable on the couch. "Does that mean I'm special? Oh my gosh! I am, right?" she says in glee.

"The fact is, you're not," he says in a harsh tone which caught Ah Reum off guard. "And you will never be. No matter what you do, I just don't like you. Please do me a favor and get out."

His words stung, but she chose to laugh. "Darling, I'm used to those words now. They can't hurt me."

She is just saying it. Words like what Sehun has just said to her face makes her want to jump off a bridge. It hurt her feelings so much. She can feel the tears that are about to escape from her eyes, but, fortunately, she finds the remote she is searching for and avoids being caught by Sehun, seeing that she was about to cry.

Sehun shakes his head slightly. "You're crazy," he says.

"Crazy for you," she retorts with humor, her eyes fixated on the television.

"Will you stop that?" Sehun's tone was annoyed.

She stands up and walks towards him. "I won't. I've already come this far. Why should I stop now?"

Right now, she has zero plans of stopping. She is so sure of her feelings for Sehun, and she will never let go of that. She will never give up until Sehun finally notices her. Even after all these years, the hurtful words, the way he ignores her, the fact that Sehun has not shown any romantic actions towards her- she can endure it. She will endure it all because her hope never faded.

"Such an idiot," he mumbles.

Ah Reum's expression changed from happy to serious. The sound coming from the television echoed in the room. She stares at him intently as she watches him instead of the television in front of her. "If I stopped,"

Sehun eyes her suspiciously as he waits for her to finish her sentence.

"Would that make you happy?"

Now that she asked, would he be happy? That is his ultimate wish for ten years. Maybe he will. He doesn't even like Ah Reum the way she wants him to like her, and he can never see a future with her , so when she stops, he will be happy. His mind is shouting yes, but something is off because as time went by, her irking actions became a part of his daily life. If ever he will say 'yes,' that will be a downright lie. He will never be happy because stopping her would also mean breaking the foundation of their friendship. She befriended him, after all, because she has a crush on him.

"Definitely," he answers after a pause. The words seem foreign to his mouth, and he immediately regrets saying it.

Ah Reum clenches her fist, but it is not visible to him. "How unfortunate. I don't have any plans to."

He merely shrugs and is relieved that Ah Reum said it. "Should have known," he mutters.

"Don't you enjoy talking to me?" She asks, her voice was full of hope like all she is waiting for was his sweet 'yes.' She silently prays he would say 'yes.' "Many people are praising me because I'm fun to be with. Don't you feel the same way? Even the slightest?"

Sehun stares at her for awhile; his face does not show any sign of happiness. "Do I look like I'm having fun?"

She bites her lip and places her hands on her, her right hand over her left. "I hope so because when I am talking to you, and you reply, no matter how insulting your words are, it doesn't fail to make me happy," she states with sincerity evident in her voice. "I loved your voice ever since because it could manage to be the most charming voice ever behind its rough exterior. It's just that you are so different. From the very first time we met, I knew that we could reach this far."

The boy doesn't know what to say after her short speech. In front of him is a natural girl who he doesn't even like. He rejects her a million times but until now, she is still here. He has not thought about her feelings for all these years. Ten years and he has not asked her even once why she likes him. He stares at her and feels tremendous confusion. He fakes a cough and announces, "I'll be in my room. Don't disturb me."

Sehun stands up and heads over to the stairs.

"Hey, Sehun!" she calls out.

He stops but doesn't turn around. "What?"

Ah Reum's seriousness is intact. "I'm serious about you."

He cringes at her words. "Whatever."

Once again, she mumbles "I like you. I really do."

...

"Why am I here again?" Ah Reum asks as she takes her teaspoon to take a bite off of her cake.

"Because I'm curious," her company says.

She places her elbows on the table, chewing slowly on the pastry before replying. "Care to tell me, why should I care?"

The other person grins. "Because it's about you!"

She rolls her eyes. "Yixing, what are you up to?" she asks in utter suspicion.

Yixing watches her as she eats, smiling at her every action. "Nothing. Just wanted to ask some questions. Come on, Ah Reum. Trust me on this."

"Fine," she finally answers. "You're not on the school paper or anything, right?"

Yixing chuckles. "No. Trust me. These questions are just for my personal interest."

"It better be," she warns.

They are currently at Starbucks. Yixing phoned her the moment she stepped out of the gates of the Oh's. She doesn't know why he called because to start with they are not even close, but she still accepted his invitation because his words tagged Sehun's name. Ah Reum is allowed to go anywhere near the perimeter of their house, so she went to Starbucks.

"So, how did you and Sehun meet again?" It is the first thing Yixing asks. He is as curious as a cat as to how Ah Reum's mind is running that he even bothers to invite her to a coffee shop far from his house but near hers.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter