Stealing Pain

Chasing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chasing You

Chapter Four

Stealing Pain

Who was this Jung Da Eun?

 

She was the girl that Sehun was crushing on.

 

Two years ago, Oh Sehun almost had a girlfriend. He dated her for half a year until Ah Reum shooed her off. How did she do it? No one knew. Much to Sehun's dismay and anger, the two did not talk for almost two weeks until Ah Reum apologized and reasoned out that she would not do what she did if she never saw something bad about the girl. From then on, Sehun warned her about not meddling in any of his personal affairs anymore. Ah Reum wanted to protest, but she respected Sehun so she would, at least, give him that.

 

On the other hand, Jung Da Eun was a student at their school. She was in a different section but at the same level. She had auburn hair, not similar to hers and actually- it was quite fashionable. Tantalizing and sleepy eyes, a sweet voice, and she was also very nice. She might not be popular, but her kindness and uniqueness was enough to capture Sehun's attention. Not really attention, at first, but the desperation to make Ah Reum stop. When he got to know Da Eun a little more, he figured out that she might be someone he could like.

 

Sehun warned Da Eun about Ah Reum beforehand, and she understood.

 

Ah Reum never met Da Eun but she had been hearing stories about her, and much to her disappointment, all she heard was pure and positive comments. Ah Reum wanted to know whatever this Da Eun girl was hiding and her ulterior motive for entertaining Sehun, but it did not get Ah Reum anywhere because she chose to be quiet this time since she saw how sincere Sehun was when it came to Da Eun. She was jealous because of a girl she had yet to meet. After that, Ah Reum made a promise to herself, forcing herself not to ask about Da Eun anymore. She did not have any plans to meet or know her; she tried not to care because she did not want to see Sehun’s future standing right before her.

 

The name, Jung Da Eun, always came up with the lists of top students in their batch together with Sehun. Not only beautiful and kind but also smart. She was hard to find, one in a million, a great girl. Sehun deserved something like that. He was also a great person.

 

Oh Sehun was waiting for Jung Da Eun for four months now.

 

And Ah Reum knew it was only a matter of time before they would officially be together.

....

Ah Reum approached Sehun with a cheerful expression on her face, "Four months." Raising four fingers on her right hand, she started walking with him, as close as possible.

 

He pushed her aside as he scowled. "What are you talking about now?"

 

Ah Reum clasped her hands. "Four months to go and it's your birthday," she announced with a squeal. She almost danced out of excitement.

 

He didn't need her to remind him of that. He was fully aware what day his birthday was, and how many days were left before this not-so-special day for him, but special for Ah Reum. "Go away," he said coldly, and in a casual tone which made her stop squealing.

 

The brunette stared at him, observing him, and started squealing in excitement again, ignoring his rude remark. "I'm going to prepare lots of food as always. Sehun, it's going to be a surprise." She was saying it like it was still a surprise.

 

He smiled inwardly at her actions. As predicted, she was more excited than him like always. He said that he was not looking forward to his birthday, and it was true, but he was looking forward to Ah Reum’s preparation, to the food she will make, and lastly her gift. She knew him too well and would always know what to give to him. If it weren't for her, he would have hated his birthday by now.

 

"Then why the hell you are telling me, dummy," he said, poking her on the forehead.

 

She encircled her arm into his. "I just feel like it. I know you hate surprises and remember your eight birthday celebration? You almost didn't come, so I am informing you earlier so your presence will be assured."

 

"So annoying," he muttered.

 

Ah Reum moved away from Sehun as she walked of him, her hands behind her back. "By the way, I came to seek for some advice."

 

"On what?" He inquired, seemingly interested.

 

She gave a cheeky smile. "I'm planning to join the Publicity Committee."

 

Yixing’s there, Sehun immediately thought. "So?"

 

Ah Reum bit her lip showing her hesitation. "Do you think I can handle the work they'll give me?"

 

Sehun didn't like it when Ah Reum doubted herself when everyone knew how much potential she had. She may not be the smartest girl around, but she could be as responsible as the president of a club. He knocked her forehead lightly and said, "You may be annoying, but you're responsible. Just make sure it won't affect your studies, little girl. Don't come crying to me because of your low grades."

 

Her confidence boosted when she heard Sehun's support. "Worry not. I'm practicing time-management now."

 

He patted her head. "Good for you."

 

"Yeah," Ah Reum answered, almost speechless.

 

Sehun walked away first, asking, "Don't you have class?"

 

Ah Reum quickly followed him, making sure that she was not flushing red because of the head-patting that happened. "Suho is absent again, and I wouldn't mind walking you to class," she said gripping her bag even tighter. "Though, I'm worried that he's been absent a lot recently."

 

The brown-eyed boy ignored the last statement. "Only boys do that, and I am not some weakling that needs guidance just to get into a classroom," he commented, but he never failed to notice how Ah Reum was worried about other people. She was that sweet.

 

She crossed her arms and frowned. "But I want to. Can't you just say yes without any retorts?"

 

"It makes me feel like a sissy."

 

She hit him on the head. "You're the only one thinking about that."

 

"She's with him again." She heard a group of girls whispers. They were staring at her in disgust as she tried to catch up to Sehun.

 

"Can't help it. We know how monkeys love to cling." Another girl mocked.

 

"Since you said it, come on, she does look like a monkey." 

 

She felt like crying, but she refused to let them acknowledge the fact that she heard them. A lot of people criticized her for loving her best friend that never felt anything for her, and it didn't help that she wasn't oblivious to the number of people talking about her behind her back.

 

"Oh no, I think she heard us."

 

"We're just telling the truth, and she should be a grown-up ape and accept it."

 

The brunette shut her eyes quickly and shook her head lightly, too light that it was almost unnoticeable. "We're close to your homeroom, Sehun." She pretended that she did not hear any comments from other people and that she was alright, that it was okay. "I told you. I always had my way."

 

Sehun glanced at her and sighed as he finally turned around.

 

"Ah Reum."

 

Ah Reum smiled sadly and looked away. "You only call me by my name when you are about to ask me if I'm alright. To save your breath, I am. Those comments won't hurt me. They know nothing." Even though she was saying those things, she could not believe it. They were words meant to hurt a person so the effect will be that. The throbbing and stabbing pain she was feeling was something Sehun needed not to see or know.

 

He held her shoulders as he shook her lightly. "They're lying. You shouldn't be used to it because those are not facts; those are insults."

 

Ah Reum made an expression, mixed with pain and strength. "I don't care about them. I know that I cling to you so much, but I am no monkey, pfft. I'm just me."

 

"That's right," Sehun gave her a smile.

 

Ah Reum nodded and stepped back. "Here we are. Oh, I see Luhan and Yixing." She pointed at Sehun's back and waved at them.

 

"Don't look at them," he said it in a possessive tone.

 

"Why?"

 

"Go to your class already," he ordered.

 

Ah Reum nodded, but completely clueless. "If you say so."

 

"And Ah Reum," he called and paused.

 

"Yeah?" she asked.

 

"You're beautiful."

 

Her cheeks puffed up when she heard that. Only once in a blue moon would Sehun give her compliments, and a compliment as ultimate as that called for a celebration, but she would just celebrate silently. She ran towards her homeroom with a big smile plastered on her face, squealing the whole way there. She opened the door and quickly went to her friends who were busy talking about their next class and what could be the reason behind Suho’s absence again.

 

Yerim and Sooyoung turned their heads when they heard Ah Reum's squeal; they immediately wondered what kind of miracle happened to her. Suddenly, they had mischievous grins plastered on their faces. Meanwhile, Seulgi glanced at Ah Reum through her peripheral vision. She saw how superficial her best friend could sometimes be. Ah Reum was only acting this way when Sehun did something special to her which meant nothing to the boy himself. Seulgi only rolled her eyes. Not that she wasn't happy for Ah Reum; she was just trying to put into her head that whatever happened was never worth a reaction like that.

 

"Sehun said I'm beautiful," she quickly said as she squealed again, stomping her foot. She was overjoyed.

 

The three girls were caught off guard. That was it. They thought it must have something to do with Sehun showing the equal affection she was showering him with. Although, being called beautiful by Oh Sehun was an honor for most of the girls. As his best friend, wouldn't it be perfectly normal? But, hey, it was Ah Reum so her reaction would naturally be like that.

 

Yerim laughed. "He did? Well, that's great news. You are stepping up, my dear friend. I wouldn't be surprised if one day you will finally get what you've always wanted."

 

"I agree," Sooyoung added, "Oh Sehun isn't the type of person who makes compliments, and him calling you beautiful is such a wonder. Congratulations, Ah Reum!"

 

Ah Reum felt an addition to her current joy because of what her friends were saying. She almost forgot that she received negative comments before Sehun called her a beauty. Yerim was right; Ah Reum was stepping it up and soon Sehun would recognize all her efforts. She almost forgot about the tiny little fact that Sehun was currently pursuing someone, and she couldn't help but think that Sehun only said it to lessen the incoming pain for her.

 

"Thanks! And what can you say, Seulgi?" She asked excitedly.

 

"Why did he say it?" Seulgi inquired, not looking glad for her.

 

The brunette was caught off guard by Seulgi’s question. She never made it simple for Ah Reum. She was making the brunette doubt herself whenever Seulgi questioned her. "Some girls were gossiping about me and called me a monkey, so when I walked him to his classroom, he said that I'm beautiful before I left," Ah Reum stated in a flat tone, expecting Seulgi to say something that would make it meaningles

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter