Withered Flowers

Chasing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chasing You

Chapter Seventeen

Withered Flowers

Sehun went outside in a hurry, fearing that he was making her wait. His excitement grew each time he took a step downstairs and thus, he completely forgot about the person that was there four minutes ago. He did not feel conscience-stricken at all. As much as he hated to say it, he felt relieved that Ah Reum was not here to annoy the hell out of him.

 

As Sehun came downstairs, he was greeted by his older sister who had a disapproving look on her face. She clearly did not approve of how bad Sehun treats Ah Reum, but she had no say in it because it was their friendship he was risking. If anything, Seo Ah would never end her friendship with Ah Reum just because of her little brother.

 

He ignored the look his sister was giving him and continued heading towards the door. When Sehun opened it, he saw Yixing standing where he and Da Eun promised to meet. He raised an eyebrow and walked towards his direction, expecting that he’d receive an apology for what happened the other day.

 

“Do you need something?” Sehun inquired. His smile was sardonic, yet his eyes held a glint of humor. His clothes were rather sumptuous for someone who didn’t particularly care about his appearance. Not to mention, his hair was also swept back. Completely different from his usual hairstyle.

 

Yixing shrugged as if he knew what Sehun was expecting. “I’m not here to apologize to you if that’s what you’re thinking.”

 

“Then why the hell are you here?” he scowled. “Damn, why the hell is everyone pissing me off today?” Sehun muttered to himself; loud and clear for Yixing to hear.

 

“Everyone?” he queried, remembering the sight of a distressed Ah Reum earlier. He surmised that it might be Ah Reum that Sehun’s talking about. Yixing shook his head and quickly reminded himself that something like that wasn’t possible. He knew Sehun would regret it if he ever hurt Ah Reum because she’s always been there for him.

 

“Yeah. Ah Reum was just here earlier.”

 

What Yixing feared came true. His eyes widened in stupefaction while his mind went blank. There was no way Sehun would say that about Ah Reum.

 

But he did.

 

“She’s been getting on my nerves lately, damn,” he said rather insensitively. “She entered my room as if she could do whatever she wants. And what’s worse is that she expects me to listen to her talk about how her day went.”

 

“Did it seem important?” he questioned, wondering if it was because he was with Ah Reum earlier. And if Sehun is just being the jealous jerk that he is.

 

“Not really,” he said.

 

Yixing felt somewhat remorseful for Ah Reum. He didn’t know how she could have gone through ten years of pain, anguish, and heartbreak without losing that smile of hers. He didn’t know how it felt to be her, that’s for sure. But he wanted to help her. Even if he didn’t know how to.

 

“Did you at least listen until the end?” he dared to ask, completely aware of what Sehun’s answer would be.

 

Sehun thought about it for a second until he came up with a response. “No.”

 

Yixing stared at him, a dark look on his face as if he were threatening to kill him. “You got so vexed even though you didn’t listen to everything she had to say?”

 

Sehun gazed at him; utter shock written on his face. “Yeah,” he said, astounded by Yixing’s spunk and how he had the nerve to confront him about Ah Reum.

 

“You don’t deserve her,” he concluded.

 

As Yixing started to walk away, Sehun had the urge to go after him and tell him that he knew it right from the start. Yet, he couldn’t bring himself to because that would just be stupid and pointless. He did not need to prove anything to anyone, especially not to Yixing.

 

 

He stood by the gate to his house, still pissed off by Yixing’s confrontation. As far as he knew, Yixing had no right to comment about his and Ah Reum’s relationship. He didn’t even know Ah Reum that well and yet, he had the nerve to scold Sehun for not being a ‘good’ friend. After all they’ve been through, he clearly deserves a day or two without Ah Reum.

 

Da Eun asked him to give her a few minutes to fully prepare and he gave her the time she requested. Actually, he did not notice how time went by because his mind was filled to the brim with what happened earlier. Okay, he did not mean to shout at her and treat her like that. It might’ve looked like he was taking her for granted again, but he really wasn’t. Ah Reum just came in at the wrong time. A time when he was really busy and nervous for his date tonight. So occupied that he did not even remember what she was trying to say. He was sure that she was angry at him again and he could not help but feel guilty about it. The way she looked when she was going out bothered him because she was excited when she came and so gloomy when she exited.

 

Sehun shook his head, thinking what he did was right. Now, he was arguing with himself. If he did not do that, Ah Reum would have the habit of forcing him to always spend time with her and as for their case, it would be much harder. If possible, he did not want Ah Reum to spend time with him every day because it will not help her with the moving-on process.

 

How could you forget the feelings you have for that person if the person was always around you? He was doing her a favor. He was convincing himself that he did the right thing, but another part of him did not agree to it. Maybe because he was really wrong. Maybe because she deserved to be listened to. Maybe because he was really taking her for granted again. A cold war might start with him and her again and it was honestly distracting him. His relationship with her was getting more and more complicated.

 

Sadly, there was only one way to stop the complications.

 

"You look handsome, Sehun." Da Eun’s voice rang in his ears, making him turn around.

 

Da Eun was wearing a black dress that stopped before her knees. Black suited her perfectly because it revealed the fairness of her skin. Her hair stayed the same but beautiful as ever. Sehun thought that his cologne was strong, but the fruity scent of Da Eun overtopped it. She smiled at him and he smirked in response.

 

"You are gorgeous yourself, Da Eun."

 

This time, it was Da Eun who smirked. "I know."

 

"Arrogant," he commented teasingly.

 

Da Eun chuckled. "Are we talking about you?"

 

"Very funny."

 

Sehun made a reservation at the same restaurant where he took Ah Reum to because of his deal with Luhan and Yixing. It was the best place he could think of. The dates he went out with her outdoors were not enough so he decided to take her out to a formal dinner.

 

The warmth of the restaurant was the same as last time that it did not fail to make Sehun remember the date he had with his best friend and how happy she was that night. He felt a pinch as he remembered her expression again when he raised his voice at her. He was having his date with Da Eun and yet he was thinking about Ah Reum and how she could have felt. He wanted to come and see her, but there was no way he was doing that now. He took Da Eun out to ease his problems, but it was Ah Reum who continued to capture his attention.

 

"I'm so happy you asked me out,” he heard her say.

 

Sehun forced a smile at her comment, saying, "Me too."

 

Da Eun looked at him observantly as if she was reading his mind. "I am not easy, you know."

 

"I know. But, you still fell into my charms."

 

His arrogance put a smile on her face and made her say, "Oh, shut up."

 

"Let's order now," he proposed just so he could change the topic.

 

"We don't need to keep eating at fancy restaurants. I like nature so you can just take me anywhere where art is."

 

The way she said it was like she was sure that the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter