Chapter 3

The Thorn in my Side

   The first thing Ren saw when he stepped out of his limo the next morning was the bruised face of Song Iseul. Wondering what the strange girl wanted Ren sighs and crosses his arms, "What do you want?" Behind Ren his four friends exit the limo. Ren always picked up his friends before arriving at school. "What's going on?" Baekho whispers to Minhyun. Minhyun shrugs, "I don't know. Let's watch and see what happens."

Iseul was asking herself the same thing. Ever since yesterday she had been feeling odd. She had been walking to school thinking about the strange beating of her heart when she saw Ren's limo pull up. Without thinking she just walked right up to the door and waited for Ren to get out. "What do you want?" Ren repeats. Iseul blinks, snapping out of her thoughts. "Huh? What? Oh! What do I want?" What did she want? She began to feel self concsious under Ren's stare. Quickly she replies, "How are you feeling? Do you feel the need to poop?" In the background Baekho, Minhyun, JR, and Aron muffle their chuckles. Ren shoots his friends a death glare. "I feel fine. Is that all you wanted to ask?" Turning red Iseul nods. Ren was about to cooly walk away when he caught a glance of her bandaged knee. "How's your knee?"

Iseul's heart skips a beat. "Wha--my knee? Don't worry, the magic healing potion I got from the Great Witch is working its magic!" Ren didn't want to hear anymore and walks away. His four friends following his lead. "Ren's a little shy," Minhyun whispers secretively to Iseul as he passes. He gives her a wink.

 

And when the world came to an end

so did the black dragon's reign.

Human hearts are just like that

Full of rage and wrath!

 

"Thank you Iseul. Now please kindly take your punishment in the hallway," Teacher Choi commands drily. Everyone in class snickers. "That's the 100th time she's sung in class," a boy says loudly. Iseul ignores him as she puts away her recorder, "Thank you for allowing me to finish my song." Teacher Choi sighs, "It's not like I can stop you. You keep on singing anyways." Iseul grins at him, "Oh come on Teacher, you don't want to inhibit the growth of a student's talent would you?"  "Your voice isn't anything special Song Iseul stop being so concieted!" a girl in her class shouts. Everyone in class laughs. Iseul salutes Teacher Choi, "Excuse me sir, but I must go and recieve my punishment."

JR was skipping class again. Hiding out in the area between building A and building B he pulls out a cigarette. He was about to light the cigarette with a lighter when Iseul exits building A from a side door. It's the weirdo, JR thinks to himself. He returns to lighting his cigarette when Iseul runs over and smacks it from his grasp. "What was that for!" JR roars. Not deterred by the school's number one bad boy Iseul picks up the cigarette. "I have saved you from the grasp of evil." JR raises a brow in confusion, "What?" Iseul crushes the cigarette under her foot. She waves a finger at JR, "Tsk, tsk. A normal human like you would easily fall for the darkness' trap. The evil potion you were taking contains poison that slowly turns your heart as black as night!"

Now JR was annoyed, "What I do has nothing to do with you. Now scram!"  Iseul seemingly ignores his remark as if they entered one ear and went right out the other. She stares at JR, remaining still. "What are you looking at? Never seen a guy this handsome?" Iseul her head to the side, "Strange. I don't feel weird. I feel very normal. Perhaps that strange feeling was the work of evil." Without replying to JR's question she walks off.

"Song Iseul!" Misa's iron fist smashes into Iseul's already bruised face. Iseul falls on her . She blinks at Misa in surprise. What did she do now? Standing back up Iseul is once again knocked to the ground. Misa places her foot on Iseul's head, pressing it against the hard concrete. "Are you an idiot?" She grinds Iseul's head into the ground. "You aren't supposed to let Ren see you beat up! Now he knows everything you b****!" One of Ren's fan club members had seen Ren tending to Iseul's knee the other day and had quickly informed Misa. When Misa found out she was so angry and embarassed. Ren knew everything now! He would think she was a horrible person and never talk to her again!

Grabbing Iseul's ponytail she jerks Iseul up. "How dare you tell Ren! Did you think just because he was nice to you that he actually cares for you?" Iseul shakes her head, "No and I didn't tell Ren that it was you! Besides a mere human cannot hurt a magical warrior like me."  "Shut up with the magic and dragons!" Misa growls. "But magic and dragons are real," Iseul insists. Misa slams her knees into Iseul's stomach. Gasping Iseul keels over, grasping her stomach while gagging.  Lying defenseless on the ground, Misa begins kicking Iseul. "How are you going to fix this, huh? Ren knows the truth now. He'll hate me forever all because you couldn't keep your mouth shut! Now he'll never like me!"

Iseul who was starting to black out, telling herself that an evil dragon was trying to kill her, suddenly jolts awake. To Misa's shock Iseul who looked about to pass out suddenly grabs her legs. "What did you say?" she gasps. Misa tries to shake Iseul off, but to no avail. Iseul zombie grips her, refusing to let go. "What was that last thing you said?" she repeats. "I said it's all your fault now Ren will never like me!" Misa shouts, kneeing Iseul in the chin. Iseul finally let's go. 

Misa was about to beat Iseul again when Iseul surprises her with, "How do you know you like someone?" Misa takes a step back, "Why are you asking me?"  "Then do you like Ren?" Iseul asks. Misa blushes, "What's it to you? What, do you like him too?" She holds up a fist, "Ren--Hey!" Before Misa can finish Iseul runs off.

Ren's class had study time, their teacher too lazy to bother teaching them. "And he still gets paid for teaching," Minhyun mutters to Ren. Ren who was on his cellphone shrugs, "I don't care. Let the teacher do what he wants. No studying for me." Minhyun sighs, "Your mom is going to scold you again." Ren glares at his phone, "Who cares? All my mom ever does is nag me."

The classroom door slides open with tremendous force. Everyone in class looks up in surprise. Iseul steps into the classroom, heading straight for Ren's desk. Minhyun nudges Ren, "Uh, I think you have a visitor." Ren glances up in annoyance. "Who is it?"  Iseul stops in front of his desk. 

   "I like you. Please be my boyfriend."

Minhyun turns to Ren. How was Ren going to reply? Everyone in the class gasps. She just broke the third rule to surviving Imperial High!