Chapter 7

The Thorn in my Side

     Taking off her outdoor shoes and stepping into slippers, Iseul slides the door open. "You're late," are the first words that greet her. Iseul smiles, "Sorry I had to stay after school for a test." Her mother frowns at her, "Why would you be staying after school for a test? You couldn't complete it in class?" Scratching the back of her head Iseul nods, "Sorry, I won't be late next time." Her mother shakes her head, "Why do I have such a useless daughter?"

Jung Ah, Iseul's younger sister sneers, "Yeah, Iseul, why are you so useless?" She continues to stuff chips in as she sits in front of the t.v. watching a daily drama. Iseul smiles again, ignoring her sister. Walking to her room she asks her dad, "Appa, where are Jin Sun and Sun Ji?" Staring at the newspaper he shrugs, "Ask your mom," he grumbles.

"Umma, have you--"   "Iseul! Hurry up and put your stuff down I need you to help me prepare dinner! Why are you so lazy?" Mrs. Song shouts. "I'm hurrying!" Iseul replies quickly heading to her room. Entering her room she finds Jin Sun and Sun Ji. The two twins were scribbling on a piece of paper with crayons. Paper and crayon were strewn about the room. Iseul sighs, placing her hand on her hips, "Jin Sun and Sun Ji!" she says sternly. The two toddlers look up. "Iseul!" they exclaim in unison. Before she can react the two twins tackle Iseul. 

Laughing Iseul pushes them off her, "Okay, okay, I missed you guys too!" Surveying the messy room she adds in a sterner voice, "However, what have you two done? You've made a mess!" The two toddlers grin, "We drawing!" Iseul sighs, thinking of the mess she would have to clean. "Jin Sun and Sun Ji, if you are going to draw--"   "Song Iseul! Why are you taking so long!" her mother shouts from the kitchen. Jin Sun and Sun Ji dive under the bed covers. "Umma is calling!" Jin Sun whispers. Sun Ji peeks out from under the covers, "Iseul you go?"  Iseul smiles, ruffling the hairs of the two twins, "I have to go. Clean up your mess, okay?"

"What are you doing!" Mrs. Song exclaims, "I told you chop the onions!" Iseul looks up, "I am chopping the onions." Mrs. Song frowns, "You are doing it wrong!" Iseul grins, "Then how do you want me to cut it?" Roughly her mother pushes her aside, "Go away. I'll do it. I knew you would be useless, why did I even bother asking you?" 

Iseul starts to walk away when her mom stops her, "Why do you have a band aid on your head?" Iseul touches the spot, "This, I fell down," she lies. Mrs. Song narrows her eyes at Iseul, "Just a small injury? That's good, we don't need you to be any stupider than you already are." Iseul smiles, "Don't worry umma. With nothing in my brain how can I get any stupider?"

"Iseul!" Jung Ah yells from the top of her lungs. Iseul gulps, what now? She runs to her room, the room she shared with her twin siblings. "What's wrong Jung Ah?" Standing in the middle of the room Jung Ah glares at Iseul, red faced. She points to the mess on the ground. "How could you let them draw all over my homework!" Bending Iseul picks up a piece of paper. It was Jung Ah's homework. "How could I know that Jin Sun and Sun Ji were drawing on your homework? I just got home." 

Jung Ah's face turns redder, "You. Let. Them!" She whirls around and glares at the twins, "I'm going to tell mom!" Iseul makes a grab for Jung Ah, but she's already out the door. From the bedroom Iseul could hear Jung Ah telling lies to her mom. A few seconds later their mom comes storming in. "Song Iseul! How could you do this to your sister!" Iseul opens to protest, "Umma, I didn't do it. Jin Sun and--" without warning her mother slaps her. Iseul doesn't flinch, staring down at the ground instead. 

"Stop this foolish jealousy! Even though Jung Ah is younger than you and smarter than you doesn't mean you can ruin her homework! You're the eldest! If you have something against your sister then stop being such a lazy useless girl and do something useful! Jung Ah excels in all her grades and is also in the math club. What have you got to show? Just because you're the eldest doesn't mean you'll be treated better!"

With a disgusted glare her mother walks out. Jung Ah sneers, "Ooooooh. Iseul's in trouble." She smirks, "Well, that's what you get for not watching Jin Sun and Sun Ji." She notices the band aid on Iseul's head. Jung Ah covers to stifle a guffaw. "Oh my god, don't tell me you got beat up again? You're so stupid Iseul." Flinging her long black hair Jung Ah leaves.

Crawling out from under the bed Jin Sun and Sun Ji walk over to Iseul. "Is Iseul okay?" Sun Ji asks with worried eyes. Iseul stares down at her siblings. She beams them a reassuring smile, "I'm used to this. Don't worry. It's true, I am useless." Jin Sun and Sun Ji hug Iseul's leg, "You the best in the world! We luv you when no one luvs you." Jin Sun nods, "We on you side Iseul." 

Iseul ruffles their hair again, biting her lips to keep them from trembling. "Thanks guys. I love you too." Jin Sun and Sun Ji were right. Even if no one else cared about her, at least they did. The rest of her family saw her as useless and not worth anything, everyone at school saw her as a weirdo, Ren's fan club bullied her, and Ren didn't like her at all, but all that was okay. As long as she had Jin Sun, Sun Ji, and her magic and dragons, she would be impenetrable.