Chapter 8

The Thorn in my Side

     "Would you like more ice?" Ren stares down at Iseul who looks up at him with a large smile. "Why are you still doing this?" he sighs in annoyance. Min Hyun hides a chuckle as he answers Ren's question. "Isn't it obvious? Iseul feels really bad for what she did to you." Ren slouches in his desk, "I get that part, but why does she have to do it now?"

The smiling Iseul was on her knees before Ren's desk, holding a silver platter she got from somewhere, dressed like a butler. To make it even worse she was doing it in the middle of Ren's class. All of his classmates were staring at them and so was the teacher, but no one said anything. Ren places a glass cup onto the platter, "No thank you, could you leave?" Iseul stands up, bowing to him, "Of course, your highness. Right away, sir." Ren and Min Hyun watch as she slowly walks backwards down the aisle and out the classroom door.

Ren sighs loudly, rubbing his face, "Oh my gosh! Why can't she leave me alone!"

     Standing outside Ren's class in the hall way, Iseul peeked in on him from the window. She felt horrible for what she did to Ren. Apologizing wasn't enough. She decided that she was going to help him in anyway she could until his arm got better. That was the only way she could repay him.

 

"Open your mouth. Ahhhh." Ren turns his face away, resulting in a chopstick of rice hitting him on the cheek. Iseul frowns like she is trying to feed a stubborn baby. "Open your mouth, Ren. Ahhhhh." Tired of it, Ren knocks the chopstick away, "I can eat by myself. Leave me alone already!" 

Meanwhile Min Hyun, Baekho, Aron, and Jr are enjoying the scene. Ren glares when the four boys chuckle at his circumstance. Ren suddenly gets an idea. "Iseul, why don't you feed them instead? I would feel much obliged if you did." Iseul just stares at him, "But I am only your servant. Not theirs. Besides, they're not hurt." Ren gives another glare at his friends when they burst into chuckles again. He smiles at Iseul, "Yes, but--"

"Ahhh!" and before he knew what hit him, Iseul had the chopstick of rice inside his mouth. "Yay, I finally did it! Want more?" At first Ren just stared at Iseul, then it slowly hit him. He had just been fed rice by Iseul. His whole face heats up, "It was-you-you got lucky," he grumbles. Baekho grins mischeviously, "Ohh, is Ren finally falling for Iseul?" Ren swats a hand at him, but Baekho dodges. "Ren loves Iseul! Ren loves Iseul!" 

"No I don't!" Ren shouts and begins chasing him. Baekho laughs as he runs around the cafeteria table. JR shakes his head at them. While the other three boys are laughing at Ren, Min Hyun notices a slight waver of Iseul's ever happy smile. "Is something bothering you?" he whispers. Iseul shakes her head, "Not at all..."

 

     "Are you happy now?" Ren asks gruffly. He had his hands stuffed in his pockets as he walks down the side walk with Iseul. Min Hyun, Baekho, JR, and Aron had forced him into walking Iseul home. Ren's driver didn't show up to take him home, so he suspected his driver was in on it too. Why exactly did they think that Iseul and him should go out? First of all she wasn't even his type. Second of all she was annoying, and third of all she was a weirdo. 

Iseul smiles, "Yes, I am very happy! I never dreamed I would be walking home with the person I like!" Ren raises a brown, "Um, why do you like me? Is it because I'm handsome and popular?" Iseul thinks for a minute, "You are handsome and popular, but that isn't why. As my friend the wizard of Enctopiea says, ' A pretty flower is not much use if it's dead.'"

"What are you even saying? That's a weird saying," say Ren. Iseul holds up a finger, "I fell in love with you because of your kindness." Ren is suddenly flustered, "Kindness? What are you talking about? When was I ever kind?"  Iseul taps her head, "Don't you remember? When I hurt my knee you stopped your car to put a band aid on it." Ren sighs, "I remember now." Why did he do that? If he hadn't Iseul wouldn't be pestering him right now.

"So that's why you like me. If you like me so much, why not joing my fan club. You can love me all you want and not annoy me at the same time." Iseul shakes her head, "I don't want you to end up like Prince Gremond." Another one of her imaginary friends, Ren thinks to himself. "And how am I going to end up like him?"

"Prince Gremond is very handsome. More handsome than you. Anyways, he was beloved by everyone in the kingdom and all the ladies loved him so much, but everyone was too scared to come close to him. They were afraid that if all of them fought over each other for Prince Gremonds' heart, the war would never end. So everyone made a pact that Prince Gremond would belong to everybody. Of course this made Prince Gremond very sad. He was loved by everyone, yet he would forever be alone." 

"So...is he still alone?" Ren asks. While listening to the story he saw the similarity of him and the Prince. His fan club was just like that. However Ren wasn't alone. He had his friends, Aron, JR, Baekho, and Min Hyun. Iseul shakes her head, "No, he isn't alone anymore. While I was visiting his kingdom he asked me to end his sufferring. So I killed him."

Ren comes to a sudden stop, "Wait-- what? You killed him?" He stares at Iseul shocked, "Why?" Iseul sighs, shaking her head, " I already explained it. Because he wanted to end his suffering." "But..but couldn't he have found someone that wasn't afraid to be with him?" Iseul shakes her head, "He couldn't. His arms and legs were chopped off."

Ren cringes, "Okay, this is getting creepy. How am I and him anything alike? I'm not going to end up like him." Iseul grins, "That's why I'm going to save you!"  "By being annoying?" Ren asks. Iseul nods, " I'm going to make sure you don't end up like him. I'm going to stick to you like glue, even when I don't---" she stops. "Don't what?" Ren asks, curious. Iseul doesn't repy. "Don't what? Love me?" Ren asks. Iseul shakes her head, " I--I broke your arm. I don't deserve you. I shouldn't like you."

Ren laughs, "That's what's upsetting you? It's not your fault. If I didnt' save you, you would have fallen off the rooftop. You shouldn't feel guilty about it. I chose to do it. So stop feeling bad already."

Iseul felt the tears coming, but held it in, "Thanks Ren. I thought you would blame me." She smiles at him, "That's why I like you so much Ren!" 

Ren suddenly felt a thump in his chest.

Iseul smiles, "You can stop here. I can walk home by myself." She runs off, giving him a wave, before disappearing down the sidewalk.