Chapter 4

The Thorn in my Side

 

    "Good morning Ren! Actually it's good afternoon--anyways I made you a bento!" Ren stares at Iseul's wide grin as he sips his strawberry milk in shock. His four friends glance at each other then at Ren. "I rejected you yesterday. Why did you make me a lunch?" Ren asks. Iseul blinks, "So?" Ren was flabbergasted, "So? I rejected you. Which means I don't like you, which means don't ever talk to me again." Iseul continues to grin, "Yep, so I'll make you like me!" Ren sighs in annoyance. Was this girl stupid or something? "We've got a persistent one," JR mutters to Baekho. 

          "Hi!" Ren slams the classroom door shut.

          "Do you want to hear the new song I just sung?" Ren walks right past Iseul, ignoring her.

         "What's your favorite color?" "Black," MinHyun whispers as Ren drags him off.

         "What do you think red dragon or black--" Misa roughly pushes Iseul down the hall in annoyance, "dragon!" Iseul shouts.

   

Ren sighs loudly as he sinks into the leather couch in his large bedroom. "I am being terrorized by a demon!" he shouts. MinHyun chuckles, "I think she's cute." Ren sits up glaring at MinHyun, "Is there something wrong with your eyes?" Baekho nods in agreement with MinHyun, "Come on Ren, she's not doing you any harm. She just likes you a lot."  Ren makes a face, "You're not the one being chased."

"Maybe you should try rejecting her again," Aron suggests. JR snorts, "I don't think that'll work." Ren throws his hands up in despair, "Then what should I do?" MinHyun scrolls through his cellphone, "I think we should just leave her be. She'll eventually give up." "And what should I do in the mean time?" Ren asks. "You'll have to firgure it out for yourself," JR answers.

    Iseul didn't understand why Ren was being so mean to her. She was just trying to make him like her. Love was like fighting dragons. You keep fighting until you win! Besides it was her first time feeling this thing called love. I love him. Iseul blushes as she remembers Ren putting a band aid on her bleeding knee. "I love him," she repeats outloud. It sounded weird and foreign. Was love perhaps a sort of magic? Everytime she saw Ren her heart would beat really fast and her face would heat up. "Love is really strange," she says outloud.

Someone clears their throat, "Song Iseul?" 

Iseul frowns. Ren kept avoiding her. How was she going to make him like her? She made lunch for him and said hi to him and...yeah, she really didn't do that much. Iseul sits up. What she needed was some love advice. Who could she ask?

"Song Iseul!" Coming out of her thoughts Iseul confronts the angry face of her teacher. Uh oh. "Teacher!" "Song Iseul pay attention in class." Iseul nods, "Yes, Teacher Choi, but um, I have a question." Teacher Choi raises a brow. Knowing Iseul it was definitely going to be something off topic. "How do I get someone to like me?"

    Kang Misa wonders to herself how she got herself dragged into this. She glares at her number one rival and enemy. "Why do I have to give you love advice?" Iseul grins, "Because you helped me figure out that I like Ren!" Misa hated that stupid face and that stupid optimism and that stupid airheadness. She grabs Iseul's collar, "You know I really--" 

"Why do you like Ren?" Misa freezes, surprised by the question. She lets go of Iseul's collar, "Why should I tell you? You're my rival." Iseul nods as if she understands, "But doesn't that mean you're breaking the rules? Isn't it one of the rules that Ren belongs to everyone?" Misa slightly blushes in embarassment. She slams Iseul against the wall, "You're the one who broke it first." Iseul only laughs, "This is nice. I have  a rival." Misa narrows her eyes at Iseul. Was it just her or was there more to Iseul than she thought?