The necklace

MA BOY, JUNG DAEHYUN

The week passed by and it was a Saturday afternoon. Soeun was sitting in her room reading a book when her phone ranged. She picked it up and answered. "Hello?" " Soeun, it's Naeun. Are you busy today?" Naeun wondered. " I don't think so. Why?"  She put her book down and stood up going over to the window. " I was wondering if you wanted to hangout today? Go to the park?"

Soeun hesitated then replied, " Sure, just let me tell my Omma. Meet you there in a bit." Naeun squealed excitedly over the phone. " Okay, I'll be there waiting." Soeun chuckled softly at her friends' silliness.

Soeun grabbed a sweater and her gray converses and headed down the stairs. Ms. Song was in the kitchen polishing some utensils. " Ah, Soeun, are you heading out?" " Yes Omma, I'm meeting Naeun at the park. I'll be back in a couple of hours." She put on her shoes and zipped up her sweater. " Be sure to come back for dinner then." Soeun nodded and stepped out of her house.

The neighborhood was quiet as the wind blew away the autumn leaves. After crossing the main streets, Soeun arrived at the park. Naeun was sitting on a bench playing with her phone. Soeun walked up to her. " You look a little lonely here, don't you?" She sat down and nudged her.

Naeun faked a grin. " So, what's up? Do you feel better now?" Soeun brushed her cast. "Yea...I feel a bit better now. It though having only one hand that can do all the work." Naeun smiled. " Atleast you don't get to do alot of things. You even get to skip gym class. Wish i could. I hate sweating and running." She whined.

"Yah, gym class is one of my favorite classes. Heard we are starting soccer, could've kicked some butts with my awesome skills." Soeun kicked out her leg. " Yea..." Naeun sighed.

Soeun concernly look at Naeun. "Is something wrong?" Naeun dugged her heel into the ground. "Well, it's just that...I'll be moving in a few days. Appa got promoted and his office will be move to Gangnam. I don't want to leave you Soeun." She sobbed.

Soeun patted her back. "It's okay. You're gonna have tons of friends at your new school. Your the awesome bright Naeun. Who would say no to that?" Naeun managed to smile. " Thanks, you're such an amazing friend. I will never forget you." Soeun embraced her.

Inside, Soeun wanted to cry. Her best friend was soon about to leave her. They've been friends since kindergarten. Now, it was just going to be her. No one to lean on anymore. No one to trust.

Naeun sniffed and wipe her tears. She pulled herself back and put both her hands on Soeun shoulders. " Thanks for always being there for me Soeun. I know a lacked alot as a friend, but you helped me become a better one." Soeun beamed. " I won't forget all the fun times we had. I remember that one time in 1st grade when you accidently got sparlkes all over my hair. I had to wash my hair about a billion times until there was no more sparkles."

The two laughed at the funny incident. " Yea, good times. Well, lets do something fun to make more memories." Soeun nodded in agreement.

The two decided to go to the street markets. They walked towards a dukbokki stand. " Lets eat some!" Naeun eyes excitedly scan all the varities. They both ate until their stomachs were full. " I'll pay, it's on me today." Naeun took out her purse and handed the ahjusshi 10,000 won bill.

More people started to fill the streets. Naeun dragged Soeun to a jewlery stand. " This one looks pretty." Naeun picked up a necklace with flower on it. Soeun admired the piece of jewlery. It sure was pretty. 

The ahjumma looked at Soeun and smiled. She picked up a necklace with a bunny on it and handed it to her. " Young lady, I think this one would go great with you. This just came in yesterday." Soeun took the necklace from the ahjumma and looked at it. " How much is it ahjumma?" she looked back at her.

The ahjumma smiled. " If you like it, you can have it. Not anyone can just have this necklace." " Are you sure ahjumma? Me? Something as beautiful as this can't just be given away." The ahjumma nodded. " Yes...you are special in a way. This necklace is meant to be yours."

" Yah, Soeun it does go along well with you.You should keep it. I think the Ahjumma is right." Naeun whispered to her. Soeun hesistated. *What does this necklace have to do with me? *

" Take it and wear it all the time. Soon, something good will be brought to you. Fate is on your side." Confused, Soeun looked at the necklace some more. * Fate?* she thought to herself.

The ahjumma continued. " You won't regret it." Soeun tapped her chin. " Well, if you insist then." Naeun helped put the necklace around her neck. " Wow, it looks great on you." The ahjumma beamed. * Young lady, you true love is somewhere near you. Hopefully, you'll find him soon.*

Soeun and Naeun thanked the ahjumma and continued walking down the streets. Soeun brought her hand to her necklace. * Ahjumma, what do you mean by fate?* Soeun sighed and chuckled to herself.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HELLO READERS! Sorry for the very very late update. School has been chaotic. But short chapter here. Enjoy! Subscribe and comment! ^^