The Adventure Begins

I Really Like You, but I Can't Love You [editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 15

Soo In POV

“Thank you for choosing Korean Air we hope you enjoyed your flight with us. We will be landing at JFK in a few. As you can see the captain has put the seatbelt sign on, so we ask all passengers to return to their seat or to put your seatbelts back on. Once again, we thank you for traveling with us and hope will see you soon.” The flight attendant spoke over the intercom when I looked outside the small window to see that we were indeed getting ready land. I was so full of nerves. I was here in New York to meet with people from HarperCollins. I would have met with them after I graduated but they wanted me to come to go over some paperwork. They wanted to make sure that everything was summited and went through without any problems. I didn’t mind since this gave me time to look for a place to live and get to know my surroundings.

When the plane landed, I grabbed my bag and left before it got too crowded. Susie called me the week I got back from visiting my brother. She told me that they would like it if I came over to meet with them and work on paperwork. I said that I could but with the two weeks that missed from school I was struggling to catch up before finals at the end of the month. So, I had my class work to work on when I had free time. Youngbae who drove me to the airport laughed at me. He told me that I should enjoy my time in the Big Apple and not worry about my schoolwork. The good thing though is that the schoolwork that I have, I can make up is all online. I had most of it done during the fourteen-hour flight. So, the rest will have to been done when I have the time.

I was making my way to the exit when I saw a sign with my name on it. Only it wasn’t Susie that was standing there holding my sign. No, it was a man with green eyes and reddish-brown hair. He was handsome. Very handsome that my heart fluttered. My gods I felt like a schoolgirl. I walked up to him giving him a nod to say hello.

“You must be Lexi Jung.” He stated. “I’m Cale Anderson.” He extended his right hand out to me.

“Nice to meet you, Cale.” I took his hand. His hand was big and strong. I liked it when I know that I shouldn’t. I think the gods above are making fun of me.

“I was assigned to you during your stay.” Great I’ll probably be a giggling fool by the time that I leave. I didn’t have a problem with it if that was what you’re thinking. “Would you like me to take your bag?”

I looked down at my bag. “No, it’s fine, thank you though.”

“Its fine just showing my hospitality.” He gave me a smirk, a damn smirk that could mean so much. “Shall we?” he turned to the door and started to lead the way. He handed me the sign saying I could keep it as a souvenir. I laughed at that and thanked him. We walked to his car and on the way, he told me that he was taking me to the hotel that I would be staying at and that we would be going to the company tomorrow. I was thankful for that. Spending that rest of the day to rest and maybe work more on my classwork.

“I guess New York hasn’t changed that much.” I commented as we got stuck in traffic exiting the parking lot.

“You used to live here?” he leaned back in his seat waiting for the cars to move forward.

“When I was five, but I remember being stuck in traffic a lot whenever we went somewhere.” I admitted. The cars started to move and then stopped. This went on for ten minutes.

“Impressive that you were able to remember just the awful traffic within this city. I bet over in Seoul it’s not as bad.” The cars started to move once more, and we were able to keep going without stopping.

“Seoul has its moments, but I think the difference between Seoul and New York City is that Seoul is spread out more. Where New York is…”

“Small but big. All the tall builds make it so confined that causes this damn traffic.” He finished for me.

“You took the words out my mouth.” I started looking at him.

“You’re not the first one to come to the conclusion.” He glanced at me. Those green eyes of his sparkled. I am for sure going to hell just for being swooned at by those damned green eyes.

“So, Cale what do you do within HarperCollins?” I asked looking away while scolding myself for these emotions acting on their own.

“I’m the fiction editor." He shared as the car moved forward without stopping. Seemed like traffic was thinning out. “I take it that’s what you want to do after the internship?” he asked.

I thought about what he asked before I answered. Being a fiction editor was the dream job, but I wasn’t sure. “I think right now I just want to see what other possibilities there is. My first pick is working up to being a fiction editor.”

“Nice way to answer. A lot of the interns that we have had over the years always say or show how determined they are to be put in where they want to be. However, I think you might change that perspective.” He stated.

I nodded and looked at my phone when it lit up. Everyone that I knew sent me a message asking me if I made it safely. However, nothing from Ji Yong. It was to be expected. He wasn’t too keened on the idea of me moving clearly across the world. Without much of a thought about it, I replied to those that messaged me and then put my phone away.

“I take it your boyfriend was messaging you.” Cale curiously stated.

“No, it was a few of my friends and my family. They are happy about me living my life, but they are fearful with me moving here, to New York.” I shared with him.

“Understandable. I never experience that since I am from here and went to collage here. However, I have travels to other countries from time to time. Though that was more for business and not fun.” He said glancing at me when we come to another stop.

I looked at him and then looked away, seeing that we had made it into the city. We started to move and before I knew it, we were parking, and he was opening my door for me. I soon realized we were at the hotel. I sighed in relief and thought about sleeping until morning. Though when I looked at my watch, it was already morning here, so I would have to stay awake to sleep.

Cale led me to the front desk and checked me in. From there, he walked with me to my room and then shared with me that around 7 that evening he would back with Suise to treat me to dinner. I thanked him and told I would see him in a couple of hours. He said goodbye and walked out.

Being in the room by myself I felt like I was finally able to breathe. Something about that feeling scared me. I was stepping into my future and that’s what feared me the most. I guess the saying if your dreams don’t scare you, they are not big enough. Taking a few deep breaths, I unpacked my suit case, making the room my own. Then went to take a shower, to help me with the tension built up.

The shower helped me relaxed and allowed me to think about what the next steps were when I returned to Seoul. Plan of action.

I was going to come clean with Ji Yong and tell him how I felt. Tell him that I want distance from each other. Take a step into my future without looking back.

That was the plan, and I was going to stick with it. I just hope my body, or my mind doesn’t betray me when that time comes.

There was a knock on my door when I was applying the last bit of makeup. Stopping I went and opened the door. It was Cale. I let him in, walking back to finish. I glanced at the clock noticing it was 6:25.

“I thought the dinner was at 7.” I stated looked at myself one last time in the mirror.

“It is, but with-it being New York, we’re walking over to the restaurant. Good thing it’s not far.” He stated and sat down on the bed.

I could feel his eyes on me. I wasn’t really dressed up. Wearing dark jeans, a sweater, and boots. Even though it was spring, there was still a chill in the air. I turned to face him, and he looked away, cheeks colored with a hint of pink. That somehow brought a smile to my lips.

“I hope this place we are going doesn’t have a dress code.” I lightly joked with him.

He looked back at me, eyes locked with mine. “You look perfect. If they have a problem with it, that is their problem.” Now it was my turn for my cheeks to turn pink. Glad fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter