Fated Offer

I Really Like You, but I Can't Love You [editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9

Fated Offer

 

Soo In POV

For the past few days, I have lost sleep from over thinking and pacing all over my apartment. The question that Ji Yong asked me rattled in my head. Did I see him in my future there was a possibility that he would be, but there was also the possibility that he would not. Deep down that scared me to think that there was a chance that Ji Yong and I would go our separate ways. As I thought about it more, I knew that it would probably be a good thing. And more deeply than I thought, the more I wonder about the way he acted. Could it be that when he kissed me or asked me to marry him, was a way to say that he didn’t want to let me go? However, it could have been a joke to him to get me all riled up. For that, I hated him for playing with my heart. For sending me mixed singles, and just for that, I contemplated on beating him. Sadly, I don’t think I had it me to do such a thing and it frustrated me. Taking a pillow off the couch when I walked by, I chucked it a crossed the living room hoping it would settle my frustration.

“Well who pissed you off?” someone asked upon entering my apartment. I turned to see Youngbae standing in the doorway with two cups of coffee. My heart melted to him to see that he brought me coffee. I held myself back from running to him only to grab one of the cups of coffee.

"I'm just mad because I haven’t been able to find a company to intern at,” I explained to him as he handed me one of the cups. “I was going to do my internship at Korea Observer. However, when I called to see if the spot was still available, they told me no.” I explained further when we walked side by side to my couch. What I shared with him wasn’t a complete lie. I did call Korea Observer yesterday, and they told me that there wasn’t a spot available. This only adds more to the stress or frustration that had built up of the past few days. Youngbae, be the great guy he was, grabbed my hand once we sat down on the couch, comforting me. Only if he really knew the other reason for my frustration.

“I’m sure you’ll get another opportunity here soon.” He told me and kissed my forehead which made me blush. I have never had anyone kiss me on the forehead before. It was different. I was still getting used to different.

“Oppa why are you here today?” I asked him by rearranging myself on the couch to face him as we spoke.

“I came over to see what you were doing tonight before hitting the books for study week.” He shared leaning back against the couch taking a sip of his coffee.

“Um not sure why you ask?” I questioned warming up as I sipped what seemed to be the best coffee ever.

“Well, I am going to perform my last song at the underground.” I raised an eyebrow confused on why this would be the last performance.

“What song will you perform then?” I asked.

“The song that you missed because you were “sick.” He put his hands up to make air quotes.

“Oh, the song with Ji Yong. I will be there so don’t worry.” I took another sip of my coffee and looked away pretending that I didn’t know what he meant with the air quotes. I felt his hand grip my wrist and pull me into his lap. I looked at him in shock on what he was doing, worried about my coffee would spill on him in the process.

“You know you are really beautiful and somehow I feel as if I don’t deserve to have you as mine,” Youngbae whispered to me while staring deep within my eyes. I couldn’t help, but blush yet again at his words, his actions. And somehow questioned me on why he would say that. He took my coffee and placed it next to his. Then both of his hands engulfed mine as he held them. Something was up, and I had an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.

“Youngbae what’s wrong?”

“You know Soo In I want this to last for a long time. I wanted to see how far we would go, but fate intervened.” He looked down at our hands, I was confused on what he was trying to get at. “These past few months I lied to you about working as an instructor. I was one of the trainees that have been training to become an idol. When we spoke on our date about me becoming an idol, I wanted to tell you that I was in the final stages to be one. In fact, just last week I finished filming a music video for the title song and today the album was finalized.”

“So now that you are an idol, are saying that we can’t be together?” I asked cautiously.

“Well no but I am breaking up with you though. Last week when I was filming my music video, I met someone. When I saw her, I felt like she was the one. I know that sounds mean, but that’s the truth. I didn’t do anything with her because I knew that it was wrong. When I saw her again today, I just knew that I couldn’t be with you anymore. I’m sorry if me saying this hurt. I wanted to at least tell you because I didn’t want to hurt you.” My heart sank in my chest as he told me this. I looked away from him, swallowing the lump that was forming. Over the course of 3 months, I was developing feels for him.

I felt his thumb brush against my face. A tear must have escaped. I glance back him and smiled. “Thank you for telling me this. I’ll still come tonight, but I don’t want anyone to know yet.”

“Don’t worry I planned to still be your boyfriend until the clock strikes twelve. When you’re ready to tell the others, we can tell them separately or together. You just let me know.” He embraced me into a hug and more tears escaped. I was grateful to him. Grateful for always being there, and that whomever she was lucky to have such a great man like him.

A buzzing sound pulled me away from him when I recognized that it was my phone. I reached behind me to grab my phone off the coffee table.

“Hello,” I said when I answered my phone. Youngbae wiped away the tears the fell.

“Hello is this Jung Soo In or better known as Lexi Jung?” an English-speaking person said through the phone.

“This is her, may I ask on who is calling?” I replied in English. I got off from Youngbae’s lap, who helped me in the process.

“My name is Susie Williams, calling from HarperCollins. It has come to our attention that you will be graduating from your program of study in this following spring. We have received information about your internship that you must complete. We have an offer that you can consider. We need to know either before the holidays come up or before graduation. We want to offer a full-time job here at HarperCollins. You will start out with the basics and move your way up. You’ll be able to have a chance to work in all the departments that we have here. When the time comes, you can choose where you would like to be placed. For now, this is just an offer and we hope that you will accept this offer and be part of the family here at HarperCollins.” Susie offered to me and I was dumbfounded.

“Oh my, thank you for the consideration of this offer and I will think about it. Truly I will, however, can I ask on who referred me to you?”

“An influential person noticed us about your potential and thought you would be best to work for us. From what this person has said about you sounds like you would be a perfect fit for us. They also showed us some of your work, and we are willing to help you become a bestselling author.” Susie spoke, not really answering my question.

“Thank you again for the opportunity, I will give it some thought and I will get back to you.” With that, we said our goodbyes before hanging up the phone. I turned to look at Youngbae who is playing a game on his phone. I sit down next to him, in shock that one of the top publishing companies, in the states, called me.

Youngbae put his phone away and asked me if I was ok. I told him that HarperCollins called me and offered an internship. I explained to him that if I considered this offer, I would live in the states. I told him that I wanted to keep my options open just in case other offers come along that was just as good or better.

“Soo In if you think about it, you were the one that told me that I should pursue my dreams into becoming an idol. Now look here in the next week I will be debuting as an idol. So, if I can pursue my dreams why can’t you? I think you should go for this offer and take an adventure.” I took his hand and squeezed in a way of saying thanks for the advice.

“I still have time to think about it.” I glanced up at the clock I had within my Livingroom to see that the group would be meeting within the next hour “How about we talk about this later. I am going to get changed and I’ll meet you at the underground.” I suggested to him. Youngbae stood up when I did, he gave me one of his bear hugs before walking out. After he left, I stood there in place for a few minutes before I walked to my room.

I changed out of “Soo In” and into “Lexi Jung”. In a way, I liked the fact that for one night a week I could become a different person. Going from sweaters and jeans to jeans and a crop top. This was the only time that I would put makeup on and my contacts. The first time that I dressed as an actual girl, the guys made a scene on keeping the men away from me. I called them overbearing brutes, they made a comment protecting Big Bangs little sister.

My outfit for the underground consented of skinny ripped jeans, a peach crop top with a black leather jacket to top it off. I added a few necklaces that laired as they hung from my neck. My hair was down with my natural curls that were not out of control daily. Looking at myself with my wall mirror I wanted to make sure that what I wore matched. With that I walked out of my room, grabbing my wallet and keys, before changing my mind on what I am wearing.

When I got to my car, I went through my CDs and found a mixtape that Ji Yong made me. Once the mixtape started playing, I turned the car on and made my way to the underground.

Looking at the clock on my dashboard, waiting for a green light, I saw that I have some time to kill before I really need to be there. So, I drove over to a café that was close by to get some more delicious coffee. The one that Youngbae got me didn’t last long and I really needed the caffeine if I was going to stay late at the underground. Once I was parked, I walked in and ordered a white chocolate mocha. While I wanted, I saw two familiar faces sitting down in the back corner of the café.

“What a surprise to see you two here.” I started when I walked up to Saya and Jun.

“Well if it isn’t Soo In who in complete denial about her feelings for Ji Yong,” Jun said to greet me.

“Which isn’t true since she has a hot guy who is an up and coming superstar,” Saya said while glaring at Jun. I smiled at them and chuckled as these two bickered on who was right. Though at the mention of me being with Youngbae hurt as I remembered that we just ended things. I wasn’t ready to tell them that quite yet.

“Let me set the record straight. I for one don’t have feelings for Ji Yong nor am I denying any feelings.” I told them and pointed a finger at each one of them when I spoke. Jun just shook his head as he didn’t believe me. Saya just gave me a dreamy look knowing we were both right.

“So, are you heading to the underground for Youngbae’s last performance?” Jun asked while taking a sip of his coffee.

“Yea, I am heading there now when my order is up,” I told him trying to keep my smile lite and cheery. Right on cue, my order was done. So, I went to grab it, but instead of leaving I went back to where Saya and Jun were seated.

“Why are you showing up so early when the place opens up at nine?” Saya asked when I returned.

“The guys like to practice a little before its show time. I go hang out, but most of the time I am reading a book.” I told her while taking a sip of my coffee which made me feel as if I was in heaven. “Are you two coming tonight?” I asked.

“No, we have a reader’s theater for a class. That is our final and we have to go.” Jun said with a depressed expression.

“It won’t be that bad. At least I’ll be there for you.” Saya reassured him.

“Well maybe next time you guys can come, but I better go before one of those boy’s text me in worry that I’m not there,” I told them and then walked out with Jun shouting about a Christmas and New Year’s party that the writers club planned to have a few days after Christmas.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter