One

Scripted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One; 

 

This senior year of high school, we spent a week on literature class on the Generation of ‘27. One of the poets and playwrights that we talked about was Federico García Lorca, who had been executed at the on start of the Spanish Civil War. He had a quote that stuck with me throughout the year: "to burn with desire and keep quiet about it is the greatest punishment we can bring on ourselves." Lorca must have known a thing or two about love, and the heartbreaks that come with it. 

I wasn't sure if it was desire that I was burning with as I stared at Kim Jongin, but I was definitely burning with something. Embarrassment, most likely. Maybe a little bit of anger. Whatever the wild clash of emotions was, it was making my face heat up. The entire cafeteria was silent. No one moved; everyone was staring at me. 

I tried to side step around Jongin, but he moved with me, a mean glint in his eyes. 

"You're in my way, Cho," he barked, a smirk spreading over his face. 

I took a step to the right, and of course, he followed, still blocking my way. He seemed to find it amusing, for some odd reason. 

"Move out of my way," he added. This time, I stepped to the left and he followed, blocking my way again. 

"I'm trying to," I mumbled through gritted teeth. 

At that, Jongin's eyebrows rose. "What was that?" he asked, leaning down closer to my face. 

"I said I'm trying to move out of your way," I snapped back. 

Jongin's eyes narrowed. "Try harder," he snarled.

Jongin had a handsome face. Tanned skin, sharp eyes, high cheekbones, and a perfect jawline. He was tall, with legs that seemed to never end. Even when he was acting like the biggest jerk in the world, he still looked handsome. Maybe that was why no one was brave enough to ever get in his way. 

I took a step forward this time, but Jongin didn't budge. The tray that I was holding in front of me pressed into Jongin's stomach, forcing me to stop moving. 

Oh Sehun, Jongin's equally tall best friend, sighed from behind him. "Jongin, let's just get in line. I'm hungry." Sehun wasn't one to show expressions on his face, but sometimes, I had the feeling that he felt sorry for me. 

"You're hungry?" Jongin's eyes never left mine as he reached down and picked up the triangular kimbap packaging from my tray. He glanced down at it for a moment, then held it out to Sehun. "Here, eat this"

The only thing that I was left burning with at this point was anger. Pure, undultered rage. Maybe, four years ago, this scene would have made me cry. I was used to it by now, and although I knew it was best to just pipe down and let Jongin do his thing, I couldn't help but speak up again. "That's mine," I said, snatching the kimbap out of Sehun's hands. One more month, I told myself. One more month and I will graduate, and it will be over. 

Jongin reached out again. This time, he casually brought his hand down on one side of my tray and pulled, knocking it out of my grasp. As my bibimbap thumped onto the ground, lid still on, I thanked the stars that I had not gotten a soup today. My drink also hit the ground, the aluminum can causing a loud clatter as it rolled off. Everyone was already watching anyway. 

"You should really pick up your stuff, Cho Inna," Jongin said, voice silky and light. The smile was back on his face, taunting me. 

Do not cry, Inna. Do not give him the satisfaction. Just pick up your food and get out of his way. 

Just as I was about to bend down to pick up the bibimbap, I felt someone come up behind me. 

"What's happening here?" Baekhyun asked, draping an arm over my shoulders. 

Jongin's face twisted into a sneer. "Oh look, your little bodyguard is here."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter