Twelve

Scripted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twelve; 

 

Jongdae’s new mini album and video was released on a Monday, while I was at work. I had woken up a little late that day and didn’t have time to watch it before getting to work, but Chanyeol accosted me at the door, eyes wild.
 
“Inna, you looked so cool! You’re kind of famous now, right? I know a famous person?” Chanyeol then proceeded to shove his phone in my face when he heard that I hadn’t had time to watch it yet.
 
“Chanyeol, you’re so loud,” Jongin called, coming up behind me. “Also, you two are blocking the door.”
 
“Chen’s new music video came out, the one with Inna in it. Have you seen it?” Chanyeol asked, shoving his phone at Jongin instead.
 
“Wait, bring it back, I want to watch it,” I said hurriedly.
 
Chanyeol ended up setting his phone on a table, so all three of us could see. He pressed the play button, and the music video started to play.
 
Seeing the finished product, all edited and cut together was a weird feeling. The production team really knew what they were doing. It was hard to believe that it was actually me on Chanyeol’s phone, and everything looked beautiful. The kiss scene was included near the two minute mark. It showed a close up for a second or two before switching to a wide angle, rotating artistically around us. When it was finished, I just stared at the black screen.
 
“You were amazing. Jongin, wasn’t she amazing?” Chanyeol asked.
 
Jongin was silent, lips tightly pursed.
 
“Inna, can we take a selca? I’m going to post it on my SNS and brag that I know the girl from Chen’s music video.” Chanyeol looked so excited that I just had to agree.

“Only one picture,” I said with a sigh, “and don’t post that we work together. I don’t want people knowing where I work.”
 
Chanyeol happily agreed.
 
After taking Chanyeol picture, I sent Jongdae a line message, letting him know that I had seen the video.
 
His reply was to tell me that he had two signed copies ready, one for me, and one for my “tall friend.”
 
I wondered if Heechul was going to bring them over, but Jongdae’s next message cleared that up.
 
jongdae: recording for a show till 8:30. You’re only working till 3, right? Pick you up from work at 9? Celebratory late night snacks on me  o(^∀^*)o
 
I messaged back a quick okay, before Ryeowook was calling from the kitchen for us to get ready to open for the day.
 
“New workers are coming in today for training,” he said, glaring at Chanyeol, “so behave.”

Chanyeol’s reply was an indignant splutter. “Hey, I trained Inna just fine, didn’t I?”

 
Ten minutes before closing, Baekhyun popped in and sweet talked Ryeowook into cooking him food last minute even though he had already started cleaning up the kitchen. Baekhyun slurped up his noodles with relish as Jongin, Chanyeol, and I started wiping down the tables and preparing to close for the night. 

"Baek, did you see Inna in the video?" Chanyeol was still hyper about that and hadn't shut up about it all day. 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "How could I not? Chen's agency has a ing truck driving around Seoul, playing the video on the side. A legit truck, just blasting the video all day!"

Yikes, I hadn't heard about that, although I wasn't particularly surprised. 

"The more interesting question, however, is for Inna: who's the better kisser, the golden idol Chen, or me." Baekhyun had a wicked twinkle in his eyes and I immediately blushed scarlet. 

My reply was cut off by the sound of a plastic broom handle hitting the floor. "What? You guys kissed?" Jongin asked, eyes wide.

Baekhyun only smirked at him. I suddenly wondered if he was doing this on purpose to rile Jongin up.  

"Yesss," Chanyeol cheered, raising two hands up in a fist pump as his broom also hit the ground. "I knew you two had a thing, but no one would believe me."

Just as I was about to chim in and explain Baekhyun and I were not 'a thing,' Chanyeol turned and yelled loudly to the back kitchens. "Yah Ryeowook hyung! I was totally right about Baek and Inna! Baekhyun said they kissed once before!" He had a maniacal smile on his face. "Ryeowook hyung owes me 20,000 won for this," he added under his breath. 

I couldn't help but drop my face in my hands to hide from the embarrassment. 

Baekhyun, the proud little , only sat up straighter. "Multiple times actually, Ryeowook hyung!" he added cheerily. 

"Shut up," I hissed, reaching over to smack him on the shoulder. I really did not need my coworkers gossiping about my love life or placing monetary bets on who I did or did not kiss. There was also Kim Jongin, who no longer looked surprised or riled up, which was probably Baekhyun's goal. In fact, he looked curiously thoughtful, deep in his own head space. 

Now, more than ever, I wished I could know what was going through his mind. 

 

 

Jongdae handed me two albums as soon as I got in his car, one for me and one for Chanyeol.
 
“Make sure you keep the correct one,” he said, pointing to the photobook. “I signed the inside covers, and one has your name on it.”
 
I nodded, tucking them carefully into my backpack.
 
During our meal, I was quieter than usual. Jongdae seemed to sense that something was wrong, but he didn’t push it. When he dropped me off in front of my house, he put a hand out on my arm to stop me from getting out of the car.
 
“Inna, wait,” he said. I let go of my seat belt and settled back in, turning to look at him. Jongdae’s face was lit only by the light from his dashboard, but I could see him biting his lips, struggling to put out his words. “Even if I can’t be that important somebody for you, I still want to stay by your side as a friend who can support you,” he said carefully, choosing his words. “Don’t shut me o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter