Thirteen

Scripted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Thirteen; 

 

They day we headed out for the trip started out gloomy. It had rained the night before, leaving the morning gray and slightly chilly. Baekhyun had just stayed over the night before since we were leaving early in the morning, and Minseok had made him sleep on the couch.

“Since when was this a rule?” Baekhyun had grumbled as he settled in. “Why can’t I stay in Inna’s room? I did it all the time before.”

Technically, that was true. Usually, that happened when Minseok was at work. By the time he got home, Baekhyun and I were already asleep, and he’s never bothered to wake us up or kick him out.

Minseok just shook his head. “You did it all the time before because I was too nice to wake you guys up. While I’m on watch, you’re either sleeping on her floor or the couch.”

“I’ll take the couch,” Baekhyun pouted. He turned to me and jutted out his bottom lip. “Inna, Minseok hyung is picking on me and you’re not even defending me? Tell him we sleep in the same bed together all the time and it’s totally okay. I’ve never tried anything weird.”

I felt like telling Minseok that we sometimes kissed would not help with the situation.

“Princess Baek, just use the couch for a night,” I replied instead, starting up the stairs two steps at time. “I’ll see you in the morning!”


Jongin let himself into the house without knocking around 8am, as Lu Han, Minseok, Baekhyun, and I were eating breakfast at the kitchen table. Minseok had made coffee for us all, and Baekhyun had sworn that if my brother wasn’t already a great doctor, he’d make a great barista. I agreed whole heartedly.

“Don’t you know it’s rude to barge in to someone else’s house without knocking?” Baekhyun asked snidely, throwing Jongin a sarcastic smile.

Before Jongin could reply, there was soft knock on the door.

Jongin turned and opened the door again, revealing Kyungsoo on my doorstep, arm still up mid knock and eyes wide in surprise.

“Kyungsoo, come on in!” Minseok called immediately, rushing to give Kyungsoo a hug. It had been a while since they had seen each other.

Baekhyun remained seated, giving Kyungsoo an appraising look, as if sizing him up. I had mentioned Kyungsoo to him before, but this would be their first time meeting.

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, eyed Baekhyun with suspicion. “Who is this?” he asked.

“This is Byun Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun reached out to shake hands with Kyungsoo. “You’ve never told him about me?” he said, pretending to be offended.

“It’s okay, she doesn’t tell me about much of anything these days.” Soo’s reply was met with a smile of approval from Baekhyun. At least they seemed to be getting along.

“Can we go now?” Jongin called from the door. He was frowning at the rest of us, backpack in one hand and his phone in the other. He really looked like he didn’t want to be here, and I bet that his mother was forcing him to come.

Minseok was behind the wheel for the drive, with Lu Han in the passenger seat. Kyungsoo and Jongin had taken the middle seats in the van, leaving Baekhyun and me to sit in the back. I dozed off no more than ten minutes outside of the city, and only woke several hours later with a crick in my neck, hair flattened against Baekhyun's shoulder. Minseok and Lu Han was chatting softly in the front, and I could see Kyungsoo bobbing his head to his own music.

"Oh good, you're finally awake." Baekhyun poked me on the cheek, trying to nudge me aside. "My arm is asleep, Inna."

I could hear Minseok laughing from behind the wheel.

"You slept too, Baekhyun, don't lie," Lu Han called.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and grumbled, but the corners of his lips twitched up in a small smile.

"You two looked so cute curled to together in the back," Minseok added. I met his eyes in the rear view mirror for a second and saw his eyes twinkling with mirth. Both he and Lu Han seemed to enjoy teasing Baekhyun quite a lot.

"I am not cute," Baekhyun grumbled. "Inna is cute. I am a man."

At that, even Kyungsoo, who had pulled out his earbuds, burst into laughter, leaving Baekhyun to huff and sulk in silence. In my opinion, Baekhyun was definitely cute. With his droopy eyes and boxy smile, Baekhyun was like a little puppy. A little puppy who pretended to be my fierce guard dog when I needed him. Throughout the entire exchange, Jongin was silent, eyes fixed on the back of Lu Han's seat.

We got to the cabin about half an hour after I woke up. It was a really nice place, not far from a beautiful lake and on the edge of a hiking trail.

Minseok and Lu Han decided to go on a short walk and check out the surrounding area, leaving the rest of us to unpack and make snacks.

"I bet they just want to go make out in the woods," Baekhyun muttered, loud enough for the couple to hear as they were leaving.

Lu Han just laughed, but I could see the tips of Minseok's ears turning red as he turned around to shoot Baekhyun a glare of death.

In the kitchen, Baekhyun was unloading the groceries we had brought into the fridge. He gently tossed banana milks to Kyungsoo and me, and then pelted the last one at Jongin, hitting him on the shoulder.

"Byun Baekhyun, do you enjoy making peoples' lives miserable?" Jongin asked, sounding annoyed as he picked the carton off the floor and reached up to rub at his shoulder.

Baekhyun gave him an innocent smile. "I don't know, Kim Jongin. Do you enjoy making Inna's life miserable or was that just at school."

I had the straw halfway down to the carton lid at the moment and I flinched, straw completely missing the lid and digging into the table. Kyungsoo had also frozen mid-sip, eyes wider than usual as he glanced back and forth between Baekhyun and Jongin.

To that, Jongin just looked...angry. He didn't seem to have a reply, instead settling for throwing the banana milk back toward Baek

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter