Almost

Whisper

Taeyeon woke up from the noise she heard. She grunted after realizing that it was her phone ringing. She sat up and reached for her phone to see the caller ID.

 

“Unnie, did I wake you again?” It was Krystal. Taeyeon could picture the girl frowning on the other line. She chuckled to lighten the tense the other girl was feeling.

 

“I’m sorry about what happened last week…” Krystal was walking back-and-forth inside her sister’s hospital room, waiting for Taeyeon to say something to her.

 

“That’s water under the bridge now. Have you been thinking about it all week?” Taeyeon asked worryingly. She figured that the youngster did, when she didn’t reply to her, “Krystal, I will visit Jessica again. No matter what happens, I won’t leave her side again…”

 

“I’d really like you to. Don’t mind Appa. He will have to accept it.” Krystal sounded happier than earlier. Taeyeon was relieved that she already cheered up. Krystal already bid her goodbye because the nurse came in to tell her things about Jessica.

 

 

Taeyeon did her morning routine and was ready in no time. She stopped by the door of her art room; hesitating whether to go in or not. She sighed in defeat and went in either way, after the long debate with her own thoughts. She walked to her easel and brought with her the canvass of painting that she made with Jessica in her thoughts.

 

She stopped by the bakery and had a little chat with her ahjumma friend before buying the bread that she always gets for the Jungsis. She drove away and thought positively about the day. She knocked and waited for someone to answer the door, instead of walking in again. She wanted to avoid what happened last night. She leaned the canvass against the wall while waiting for someone to get the door.

 

“Taeyeon.” A woman very well known to Taeyeon answered the door. They both stood there for a while, staring at each other’s eyes. There was no tense, there wasn’t anything. Taeyeon broke the atmosphere with her ninety-degree bow. The woman was surprised. Taeyeon had her arm extended, offering the bag of pastries while she bowed. The woman looked out at the both sides of the hall to see whether there was anyone around. She tapped Taeyeon’s shoulder and let her in. Surprised that she was able to walk in without being strangled, Taeyeon did not show her ear-to-ear smile. It’s too early to determine, she thought.

 

Taeyeon neatly placed the canvass of painting somewhere it can be viewed easily from Jessica’s position. She smiled at her painting; Jessica seeing it first thing when she wakes up. She transferred some pastry on a plate and offered it to Mrs. Jung later.

 

“You still paint…” The woman walked to the painting to feel the sorts of texture on the canvass, “Do you still hold exhibits?” She turned to Taeyeon who was sitting on the couch with her hands fidgeting.

 

“I do.” Taeyeon answered quickly, raising her head to meet Mrs. Jung’s eyes. She quickly looked away. She suddenly felt the weight shift on the couch and realized Mrs. Jung sat beside her.

 

“Taeyeon, I’m not mad at you.” She explained as Taeyeon looked at her, “I’m not happy either. I’m just…confused. The story’s still not clear to me. I don’t want to ask my husband about it because he’ll feel irritated.” She placed a hand on top of Taeyeon’s and looked her in the eyes; “I’m not asking you to elaborate it to me now. But will you tell it to me when you’ve decided your ready? You understand I am in the state of confusion. Taeyeon, you’re the only one who could clear it up to me…” She squeezed her hand lightly. Taeyeon agreed and smiled at the woman to reassure her feelings. Mrs. Jung stood up to take some pastries that Taeyeon brought.

 

“They’re both so attached to you. I can’t blame you if you’re having a hard time to go away.” She sat beside her daughter while enjoying the cupcake. Taeyeon followed the woman’s gaze, letting her eyes fall upon her dearest friend.

 

“I never truly meant to go away…I won’t leave her side anymore.” Taeyeon said determinedly- her forehead curling, her brows inching close to each other. She was still mad at herself, but she needed to let feelings aside and do her duties.

 

“Taeyeon, you look scary with that look.” Mrs. Jung commented as she laughed. They both were interrupted when Krystal walked in, but went out again now with Mrs. Jung. Taeyeon sat to the seat where Mrs. Jung was. She intertwined her fingers with Jessica’s and softly brushing her thumb on Jessica’s knuckles.

 

Mrs. Jung and Krystal went back, but now with contorted expressions. Taeyeon knew then not to question the situation to not make it uncomfortable for them. She stood up and walked back to where she sat earlier, letting Mrs. Jung sit to where she originally sat. Krystal froze after closing the door. Taeyeon grabbed a plate of pastries and walked to Krystal.

 

“Krys-“ Taeyeon’s words were interrupted when Krystal launched herself to her for a hug. Thankfully, the table was still within her reach; letting her set the plate of pastries aside even being trapped in Krystal’s arms.

 

“Unnie, the doctors told me that Jessica unnie’s mind is normally functioning. She’s been able to hear us. I don’t know since when, it just slipped earlier when I was talking to the nurse. Then the doctor told me it’s true. She can hear us, unnie. There is hope!” Krystal was half crying and half laughing. Taeyeon could feel her face heat up and slowly, tears gathered too. Krystal pulled away and they both laughed at each other’s crying faces. Mrs. Jung walked to them and gave boxes of tissue. Krystal immediately went up to Jessica’s side and held her hand.

 

“Unnie, guess what, I’m going to be a trainee in SM. I will be an idol, unnie. What do you think, unnie?” Krystal didn’t realize she just spilled the beans to her mother. Mrs. Jung was supposed to interfere, but then Taeyeon held her arm and whispered to her something.

 

“Krystal has informed me about it. I would fill you in with information if you like, instead of coming between their moment now.” Taeyeon smiled kindly as the mother nodded and lead them outside.

 

“How long has this been going on?” Mrs. Jung walked to some direction and Taeyeon just followed her slightly from behind.

“The year before I left, Krystal had auditioned for SME. I did not see anything wrong with it so I helped her. SME and her had been exchanging contacts since then, to compromise her schedule with her modeling and this. I didn’t know what happened in-between, but last week SME called her and asked her whether she wants to be a trainee. That was when she called Mr. Jung but no one was the other line. She was nervous about your insights- most likely because of what’s happening now.” Taeyeon sighed as Mrs. Jung stopped and looked at Taeyeon.

 

“Thank you for being there for our daughters…” She wrapped her arms around Taeyeon. The short girl returned the hug and remained quiet, “had to be here most of the time because we’re always out. That kid is so silent with the things she wants to do.” She pulled away, but Taeyeon took her hands in to hers.

 

“Mrs. Jung, I swore I wouldn’t be leaving Jessica again. I understand why you’re always working hard, I will keep Jessica company while Krystal trains. Just don’t overwork yourselves.” Mrs. Jung pulled her hand away, taking Taeyeon’s in to her hands. She squeezed it lightly and thanked the woman.

 

They walked back in Jessica’s room and Krystal was still talking to Jessica. The two smiled at the scene. Mrs. Jung insisted on getting lunch, while Taeyeon prepared Jessica’s bath.

 

“Easy there, Soojung.” Taeyeon used Krystal’s Korean name. She patted her shoulders, but was neglected, “Your throat will go dry soon. Go eat and drink first. I’ll just give your sis her cleaning time.” Krystal pouted but obeyed. She sat on the couch and looked for her sister’s favorite song in her iPod. She let the music fill the atmosphere. Taeyeon just silently wiped Jessica with the washcloth and often stopping to look at Jessica’s features.

 

“All…done.” She wiped Jessica’s face lastly. She let the back of her hand brush across Jessica’s cheeks before leaving. Mrs. Jung walked in with food and the two kid adults hovered by the table to see what she bought.

 

“Did they say if Jessica could smell?” Taeyeon said as she sat beside Jessica, holding her plate of food.

 

“Not that I recall of.” Krystal shrugged, looking at Taeyeon who is now questioning Jessica whether she could smell her dinner while hovering the plate by Jessica’s nose.

 

“Yah, Unnie will kill you when she wakes up.”

 

“Wae?” She looked at Krystal, still holding the plate by Jessica.

 

“That has cucumbers.” Krystal pointed at her plate, same thing that Taeyeon has.

 

“Shhhhhhh, she can hear us.” Taeyeon’s eyes widened after realizing that it did have cucumber. She had her index finger pressed against her lips. Mrs. Jung and Krystal laughed at how silly Taeyeon looked.

 

The rest of the afternoon was quiet. Taeyeon did not interact much with Jessica because she felt that the Jungs needed to bond their daughter the most, more than her. She scrolled through her inbox, reading the messages from before. She realized that she still hasn’t got Tiffany’s number. Why could I possibly want her number? Would she even give it to me? Taeyeon shook off the thoughts when she saw Krystal walking out of the room, the phone against her ear.

 

“Omma, they moved the photoshoot today. I have to go. I’ll be back soon, promise.”

 

“I can look after Jessica for the rest of the day. Everybody must be tired. I’ll drive you to your shoot, Krystal. I could also drive Mrs. Jung to their house.” Taeyeon insisted. Krystal had no choice but to agree with the stubborn girl.

 

 

“Taeyeon, you don’t have to drive me home.” Taeyeon just got back from driving Krystal. Mrs. Jung had called her husband earlier to pick her up instead, “I don’t want Jessica to be alone right now.” She explained. Taeyeon understood and did not push her request any further. Mrs. Jung soon left and went to meet up with her husband downstairs, rather than letting him meet Taeyeon in the room. Who knows, he might attempt to strangle Taeyeon again and Jessica hearing everything.

 

“Hello again.” Taeyeon sat beside Jessica’s bed. She took Jessica’s hand in hers.

 

“Did you hear me before; when I first came here after being long gone for a year?” Taeyeon slowly let go of Jessica’s hand and just rested a hand on top of hers, “It was getting sweaty, so…yeah.” Taeyeon laughed lightly. “I made you a painting. I painted it, having you on my thoughts. It’ll definitely be the first thing you’ll see when you open your eyes.” Taeyeon took out her phone and played a song (Almost – Jessica), “I downloaded it, I hope you don’t mind it.” Taeyeon laughed a bit, thinking that she’s pirating her friend’s song. She stopped after a while and got serious again, “It was the live I missed, right? I miss you so much, Sica. I regret everything that day. I wish I didn’t let my emotions get the best of me that day. Even though you could barely call me, almost never see each other, you still held onto our friendship. I wasn’t a great friend, hm?“ Taeyeon’s tears unknowingly streamed down her face, “I should’ve understood you, I shouldn’t have said those painful words. I shouldn’t have rejected you. I should have accepted you when you came to me. I shouldn’t have pushed you away.” Taeyeon’s shuddered, letting her thoughts flow through. She noticed the machine that keeps tracks of Jessica’s heart rate. She internally did a face palm, thinking how nobody saw it earlier.

 

If Sica could hear us and we can keep track of her heart rate, we could see how she reacts with our words.

 

“I can’t believe none of us thought of this earlier…” She wiped her tears as she laughed at the thought.

 

“We could keep track of your heart rate. I guess it won’t change every time we speak to you, but it’s something.” Taeyeon poked Jessica’s cheeks, “You would’ve slapped my hand away after poking you multiple times like this,” she did as she intended to.

 

Taeyeon felt a tap on her shoulder and saw the nurse that takes care of Jessica. She immediately fixed herself and bowed her head slightly in embarrassment, “Is it time?” The nurse nodded. Visiting hours was over. Since Taeyeon is not listed as a legal family member, she wasn’t allowed to stay there overnight. The nurse decided to leave her alone so she could give a proper goodbye to Jessica for the day.

 

“Night, Sica.” Taeyeon gave her a kiss on the forehead. It was her old habit. She did treat Jessica like her little baby before.

 

 

Taeyeon was smiling ear-to-ear while driving home. After the confirmation of Jessica being able to hear them, it has never left her thoughts. It’s her chance to make up to the girl. Feeling a little fatigued even though she did not really move so much the whole day, Taeyeon jumped to her bed and hugged her pillows. Her eyes felt heavy, plus the soft piece of foam she’s feeling against her chest-- she had fallen asleep in no time.

 

****

 

Tiffany examined all the outfits of choice to be showcased in her magazine. Constantly, removing bits of accessories and adding the most fashionable one suited. The designer and her would occasionally exchange words about the key points to be changed in the outfit.

 

“Some outfits don’t suit the collection. I need to see more in three days. I no longer wish for any delays.” Tiffany bluntly said. She knew she should have said it lightly, but at times, being strict and straight-to-the-point must be done. It is her job to make everything perfect.

 

“Miss Hwang, I have already called the manager of EXO. They said they’d send the schedule ASAP.” Tiffany nodded as she and her assistant shuffled their feet through the office. “As for our models, we recently got a call from SME, to consider featuring their trainees- the popular ones, and the ones who’d most likely to be one.” Yuri continued and Tiffany still returned a couple of nods, listening to more information, “I’ve got their names and will call them up. Would the day after tomorrow be okay for them to start with Mr. Wu’s collection?”

 

“Call Mr. Wu, tell him I moved his deadline the day after tomorrow.” Tiffany said lastly before entering her office, leaving Yuri to her work.

 

****

 

“Speaking…” Krystal gave an apologetic look at the small girl that she was previously having a conversation with, until her phone rang loudly. The small girl returned a small smile.

“I see…Well, it’s not my first time modeling, so getting a call before d-day is not unusual for me.”

“Mr. Wu’s collection?!” Krystal squealed.

“Sorry for yelling like that. It’s okay for me. I’ll see you then. Thank you.” Krystal hanged up and turned to look again at her friend, only to find the midget giving her a questioning look as to why she shrieked like that after hearing someone’s name.

 

“Mr. Wu is a famous high-fashion designer. Look at me, unnie. High fashion doesn’t suit me. I’m scared I won’t reach their standards.” Krystal looked at the dull-colored tile floor.

 

“Nonsense! You’re very pretty; you suit anything you wear! Tell you what, I’ll go down there with you and cheer you up. How’s that sound?” Taeyeon patted her shoulders as the younger girl beamed at her.

 

The day of Taeyeon being an older sister to Krystal has also begun… 







a/n: ALMOST has two meanings- You'll eventually get there, or You were so close. I wonder which of the two applies to Taeyeon? :)) Which of the two do you think?


So yeahh, Taeyeon would most likely take care of Jessica more often because Krystal will become a trainee~!
Of course, Taeny interactions don't stop there. Jung x Hwang will now cross roads!
Ah, mind you guys, Krystal is just a minor character. She just keeps showing up a lot because of TaengSic.
Are you tired of waiting, with what Jessica and Taeyeon had before? I'm dropping bombs/hints every chapter, yeah? So I hope you could somehow put together a small theory from that.

I wrote this chapter listening to Almost by Jessica Jung
I'll update again in a few days~
Thank you very very very much to the one hundred sixty nine(?) subscribers!
I apologize in advance for any typographical/grammatical error.

P.S.
I might write a chapter in one character's POV. Since I always write in third person. Look forward to whose point of view!