Bump It

Whisper

“Taeyeon unnie, Sica unnie left with Appa.” Taeyeon decided to be the one to drop by at Jessica’s place when she did not show up at her house earlier. She wanted to frown after hearing Krystal but instead, she smiled at Krystal and the ten-year old smiled back as well.

 

“Do you know when your unnie’s coming back?” Krystal shook her head. She welcomed Taeyeon in their house to wait for her sister. Both had no idea where she went.

 

“Unnie, can you help me with my homework?” Krystal said as she carried her books from her room to the living room.

 

“Alright. Where do we start?” Taeyeon pulled the table close to them, leaving small gap to trap their legs. Krystal pulled out one of the books on the stack that she brought and opened to a certain page to show to Taeyeon.

 

“Math? You’re smarter than me, why do you need my help?” Taeyeon chuckled as she took the book from Krystal’s hand and laid it on the table.

 

“That’s not true, unnie. Sica unnie told me about your grades! She saw your exam on math and you only got one mistake on your exam.” Krystal tapped the end of her pencil on the book. Taeyeon scratched the back of her head as she shook her head in embarrassment.

 

It was getting dark and the two almost forgot about the reason why they’re killing time with books. Tutoring was not new to Taeyeon because she also did it with Jessica. She was happy that she’s helping the Jungsis this way. Krystal on the other hand was happy she got to meet Taeyeon the day before her final exams. She is somehow grade-conscious and wanted to remain at least in the top five of the class.

 

“Waa unnie, I did not think it was this easy.” Krystal still had her eyes fixed on the worksheet that Taeyeon made for her. She was answering it without breaking a sweat.

 

“It’s not hard because your mind’s already used to it. It’s like learning how to ride a bike- Hard at first, but getting easy as you practice.” Krystal turned to look at Taeyeon and she just smiled.

 

“Hey kids, don’t overwork yourselves. You been studying for four hours now.” Krystal’s mother walked in and placed a plate of cookies and two glasses of milk, “Appetizers? I’m just about to prepare dinner, and Taeyeon, I called your mother and told her you’ll be eating here…if you don’t mind.” Taeyeon shook her head. She was okay with it. It wasn’t the first time she’s joining the Jung’s dinner table. It was same for Jessica when she’s at the Kim’s.

 

 

The two exchanged glances when they heard the front door open. They both looked at the hallway, waiting for the person they were waiting for to walk in. But the two of them only found a man walking.

 

“Appa!” Krystal stood up as Taeyeon pushed the table away slightly for Krystal to get out. Krystal jumped to her father’s arms as the man hugged him back. He realized Taeyeon’s presence and invited her for a hug too. Taeyeon embarrassingly walked to the man and gave him a hug.

 

“I didn’t know you were here. Jessica just went up to her room…” He said as he turned his head to the staircase that lead to the bedrooms upstairs. Taeyeon asked if she could see the other girl and she was of course permitted to. Taeyeon took quiet steps because she wanted to surprise Jessica.

 

She turned the knob slightly, hoping it wasn’t locked. To her luck, it wasn’t. She walked in the dark room and did not find Jessica. She then saw a small line of light on floor- It was coming from the bathroom. Taeyeon was confident Jessica’s in there. She stayed hidden on the blind spot; on the bedside.

 

Jessica walked out of the bathroom after taking a fresh bath. She sighed thinking about the things she needed to do. She opened her lights and pulled out a bag from under her bed- still not realizing Taeyeon’s presence. As she walked to her closet, she felt hands cover her eyes and a whisper of ‘Boo. Guess who?’. Taeyeon was expecting to hear Jessica’s high pitched scream but she only felt warm hands touch hers. She slowly let her hand slide away and looked at the girl who turned to her now.

 

“Taeyeon.” Jessica hugged Taeyeon tightly.

 

“Omo.” She was surprised by the sudden action. She still let the other girl hug her no matter how tight it was, “N-nice to see you too.” Jessica pulled away, smiling huge.

 

“I have something to tell you.” Jessica breathed in and out until the atmosphere only turned silent. Jessica wasn’t even aware that Taeyeon would be showing up so she did not prepare herself to tell her the news.

 

“Want to go out a bit? Let’s get some ice cream.” Taeyeon said and before Jessica knew it they were already walking to the convenient store.

 

“Mint Chocolate and Vanilla…” Taeyeon said as she grabbed the two and paid for it. They were both quiet going to the convenient store and Jessica didn’t want it to be the same when they get home. She knew Taeyeon would found out anyway.

 

“Taeyeon, I…might become a trainee in SM, that means I could only go out on weekends.” Taeyeon stopped in her tracks and Jessica was scared at what Taeyeon would have to say. She was surprised when she heard the famous ahjumma laugh of her friend.

 

“That’s what you couldn’t say?” Taeyeon said in between her laughs. Jessica slapped her hard as Taeyeon tried to conserve her laugh.

 

“I thought you’d be mad because we would be seeing less…” Jessica pouted as Taeyeon shook her head with a smile.

 

“That’s ridiculous. I don’t want to be selfish and keep you all for myself. I know that training is important for you to achieve your dream. I’ll always be here to support you!” Taeyeon had the dorkiest smile plastered on her face and Jessica was in tears when she heard her friend.

 

“I’m…having mixed feelings about it though. It would be hard and it would definitely eat a lot of my time. This training would already take me to a different road than a normal girl’s life. I don’t know what to do. What path should I take…?” Jessica sighed. Taeyeon hung her arms around Jessica.

 

“What do you really want? If you achieve this, you’ll be achieving what others can’t. The fact that you’re already after that dream makes you different. The fact that you have the potential to achieve that dream makes you different. Just believe in yourself. You’re one of a kind, that’s what makes you different.” Taeyeon encouraged her friend. Jessica knew that what Taeyeon meant by ‘different’ was in a good way. She liked how Taeyeon would cheer her on. She sometimes wonders why Taeyeon is so smart for a thirteen-year old.

 

“You nerd. I love you and don’t leave me, okay?” Jessica said as Taeyeon nodded her head and offered her fist to Jessica for a fist pump.

 

“I promise I won’t. I’ll always be behind you with whatever decision you make.”

 

****

 

“Unnie…?” Krystal waved her hand in front of the girl’s face. She bit her lip, seeing that the girl just spaced out. She knew she must’ve put a burden on Taeyeon after asking her about SME, “Y-you don’t have to answer me.”

 

“I’m sorry for spacing out on you…I just remembered that I was in this same situation thirteen years ago…with your sister.” Taeyeon smiled sadly, looking at the girl that lay on the bed.

 

“What did unnie think when she first heard about it?” Krystal said as she sat beside Taeyeon.

 

“She was having mixed feelings. She wanted to live like a normal girl, but she also wanted to chase her dreams. She didn’t know what path to take before, she was even scared that I’d leave her when I heard about it. I’ll just prove it now, I won’t leave her side again.” Taeyeon tightly gripped again at the hem of her shirt. Krystal didn’t see it though. She was too absorbed with the story about her sister before she became a trainee. Taeyeon wanted to tell her more, but the flashbacks kept coming to her mind and she feels heartache. She decided to switch the topic after realizing something.

 

“Krystal, how long will you train? You’re twenty-two now and you’re going as a trainee. Did you think about how old you’d be when you debut? It’s not that I’m discouraging you or anything. I’m just asking if you thought about the time you’ll spend in there. Jessica spent six years as a trainee before she was to debut…” Taeyeon saw Krystal’s facial expression and figured that the girl did not think about it yet. She playfully knocked at Krystal’s head as she smiled at her, “But you’re one of a kind like your sister. I doubt you’d take long as your sister. You’ve been dancing and singing since middle school too, right?” Krystal nodded, “I’m sure you’ll debut in no time…But I suggest you tell your parents about this.” Krystal nodded with determination. But as she pressed the call button;

 

“Unnie, I caaaan’t.” Krystal pouted as she extended her arm to pass the phone to Taeyeon.

 

“I can’t talk to your parents after what happened! Hurry, it’s ringing!” Taeyeon laughed as she pushed the phone back to Krystal. Krystal still pushed it back to Taeyeon. They both fell silent when they heard the man on the other line pick up. Taeyeon had her index finger pressed on her lips, and Krystal just pointed at her phone, forcing Taeyeon to pick it up. The older girl sighed as she knew Krystal won’t give up. The man on the other line was starting to get mad. Taeyeon pulled the phone from Krystal’s grip and pressed it against her ear. She was prepared to speak but then she only heard the dial tone. She playfully messed up Krystal’s hair for what she did.

“Sorry unnie. I was just really scared.” Krystal said as she tucked her phone in her pocket.

 

“Don’t do that again, okay?” Taeyeon said, crossing her arms. Krystal nodded. She reached for the remote for the television and watched a movie that played. It was only the sound from the television that filled the room. Krystal turned it off after the movie ended and Taeyeon looked at her with questioning eyes. She was looking forward to the next movie, but Krystal had the remote.

 

 “Unnie, what was Sica unnie like when you were together?”

 

“What do you mean?” Taeyeon raised her brow, not understanding the question.

 

“Sica unnie seems to be different around you and around us…So, I’d like to know what is she like around you.” Krystal shrugged, telling what she had on her mind.

 

“Hmm… She’s still sweet, caring, but she’s more like a baby often around me. Because she needed to stand as an older sister to you, she shows you her mature self. She’s much more lively around you. She once told me that you’re here vitamin. She’s thankful of being an older sister to you. I’m pretty much just her babysitter.” They both laughed, but Krystal shook her head.

 

“Nah, unnie. You’re more than just a babysitter to her.” Krystal said as she stood up and went to the door, “I’m getting us dinner, Unnie. Is there anything you want?”

 

“I’ll just buy them, you stay here.” Taeyeon said, standing up. Krystal raised her hand to stop Taeyeon but the shorter girl neglected her.

 

“No, don’t stress yourself. Besides, let me do this after a year of being away.” Krystal sighed and walked back to her seat.

 

“Unnie, can I get a hamburger and pasta?” Krystal said as she sat.

 

“What drink do you want?” Taeyeon said, holding the knob of the door.

 

“Just water.” Krystal smiled and Taeyeon ran to the nearest resto.

 

“I’m sorry ma’am but we no longer have the cheeseburger.” She intensely looked at the menu, thinking which of the two burgers would Krystal like more.

 

“I’ll just take one spaghetti, one pesto pasta, one beef angus burger and one…monster burger.” She pointed at each thing she mentioned on the menu. The woman on the cashier successfully got the orders and gave Taeyeon her change. After thirty minutes, the take-outs arrived and Taeyeon stopped by a convenient store to get two bottles of water.

 

 Everyone in the lift turn their heads and scrunch their noses at the smell of pasta and burgers. Taeyeon smiles at the people who she catches an eye contact with her after realizing it was from the bags she’s carrying. She looked at the bag again to check if she still had everything. She turned the knob to Jessica’s hospital door and just walked in. She was still busy rummaging the bag, she did not notice there were other people in the room.

 

“Krystal, they didn’t have the cheeseburger so I just got you beef angu-“

 

“How dare you come back here!” A man launched herself to Taeyeon, grabbing her by the collar. Taeyeon accidentally dropped the plastic bags she was carrying.

 

“M-mr.Jung.” Taeyeon had a little struggle breathing as she was now being raised by the grip on her collar.

 

“Dear! Stop doing that!” It was Jessica’s mother. Taeyeon didn’t fail to recognize that voice either. Taeyeon had her eyes shut and did not make any resistance. She deserved everything she’s getting right now. She felt the grip on her collar loosening and she was back again on her feet. She crouched down to pick up the bags that fell and bowed to the two adults before walking past them and letting the food settle on the table before walking back to them.

 

“I’m sorry for what I did. I’ll leave immediately.” Taeyeon bowed once again and heard a comment before she turned her back to leave.

 

“Yes, because that’s what you’re good at doing.” Taeyeon stopped on her tracks to face them again. She wanted to say what she had in mind but decided to bow again.

 

“Unnie, don’t leave!” Krystal said as her father looked at her with flaming eyes.

 

“Just remember everything said I said Krystal.” Taeyeon smiled lastly before closing the door.

 

****

 

Tiffany just got off work and was on her way back when she saw a familiar person. She slowed down and matched her speed with the walking person.

 

“What happened to your bicycle?” Tiffany said as Taeyeon stopped, “Omo.”

 

“Pabo, you forgot you had a bike?” Tiffany laughed as Taeyeon let out a dorky smile, rubbing the back of her head, “Hop in, I’ll give you a ride.”

 

“It’s okay.” Taeyeon said, raising her hands and waved them both.

 

“If you say so. Bye.” Tiffany said as she smiled before driving away again.

 

Taeyeon walked to the bench by the riverbank. She let her head hang to the back, looking at the sky, “Why are you so empty tonight of all nights?” she raised her hand, trying to catch the moon with her index finger and thumb. She had one eyes shut and unintentionally had a tongue out in the process.

 

Taeyeon let her hand fall to her sides and closed her eyes. After a few minutes, a gush of wind passed and Taeyeon caught a strawberry scent. She slowly opened her eyes and found a brunette looking down on her. Tiffany held her other hand behind her ear, holding the amount of hair that she tucked behind there. They stayed like that for a while, looking at each other’s features. Tiffany showed her eyesmile and Taeyeon took it as a sign that they were both starting to feel awkward.

 

“How long have you been standing there?” Taeyeon started to do neck stretches from side to side. Tiffany walked around the bench and sat beside her.

 

“Not long enough to keep the ice creams melting.” Tiffany said, raising two ice cream packs, “Vanilla?”

 

“Thank you.” Taeyeon took the vanilla and unwrapped it.

 

“How was your picnic?” Tiffany said, opening her strawberry ice cream before feasting on it.

 

“I already told you I was visiting someone; not to have picnic.” Taeyeon laughed at Tiffany who forgot what she said earlier. Tiffany’s mouth shaped like an O and playfully hit herself.

 

“I’m guessing that’s where you forgot your bike.” Tiffany chuckled. Taeyeon only nodded and did not say a word; she was busy eating her heart out because she technically missed dinner.

 

They stayed quiet the whole time they were eating. Occasionally, ‘Mmm’s’ and ‘Aa’s’ every time the ice cream would start to drip around their cones. Tiffany revealed wet wipes from her purse and passed some to Taeyeon. They both sat there satisfied, once again letting the atmosphere fall into deep silence. None of them felt uncomfortable with it though- Tiffany was already feeling happy inside that she cheered up Taeyeon even a bit with her ice cream gift. Taeyeon on the other hand, was feeling better having Tiffany’s presence. She didn’t know how to repay the girl’s kindness, she didn’t even hella knew how Tiffany caught something was not right when they met earlier. The older girl was happy Tiffany did not give her direct questions like ‘What happened’ and respected her privacy. Tiffany knew that Taeyeon’s not like her-- the type to open up to someone who is willing to get wet with her own tears. Tiffany sensed that if she pried on this one now, Taeyeon would get mad. She’s willing to wait for signals that it’s okay or let Taeyeon start with it.

 

“Do you want to come with me? To pick up my bike.” Taeyeon stood up and looked down at the younger girl.

 

“Let’s go~” Tiffany stood up and walked past Taeyeon. The brunette only looked at her as she marched away to whatever direction like a kid.

 

“You’re going the wrong way!” Taeyeon laughed at the ridiculous woman. She was forgetting that this woman is the CEO of Nylon. She was now only plain Tiffany Hwang that Taeyeon sees.

 

The excitement of Tiffany slowly died down when they approached the hospital’s parking lot. Taeyeon walked to her bicycle and unlocked the lock around the chain. Tiffany looked up at the building and wondered which family member of Taeyeon could possibly be charged inside and when they’d be discharged.

 

“Tiffany.” Taeyeon called out, waking up the girl from her own daze. She walked beside the girl seeing that she failed, and poked her cheeks. Tiffany turned her head to where the poked cheek was and Taeyeon pointed at her bike.

 

“Wanna ride?” Taeyeon dragged the bike to Tiffany and held it, waiting for Tiffany to sit and dash away. Taeyeon was surprised Tiffany shook her head, because the girl was practically excited earlier to see fetch her bike.

 

“Why?” Taeyeon raised a brow in amusement. Tiffany hesitated to say it at first, but she did tell Taeyeon that she once bruised riding a bicycle and got scared with it. Taeyeon chuckled at how cute Tiffany was while telling her backstory.

 

“Sit here.” Taeyeon sat first on the saddle. She patted on the top tube, signaling Tiffany to sit there. Fortunately, Taeyeon was able to plant a foot on the ground on one side to balance them properly.

 

“Where do you wanna go?” Taeyeon pushed them and started pedaling to a random direction.

 

“Anywhere I can see a line of orange lights. “ Tiffany smiled from ear-to-ear thinking about the riding a bike under a line of orange streetlights on an empty highway.

 

“I’ll be your ET, then.” Taeyeon joked as Tiffany as ‘Alien’. Taeyeon may be small for her size, but she managed to push herself and Tiffany so fast, they could feel the air on their faces and their hairs getting disheveled.

 

“Fsater, Tae!” Tiffany got excited and raised one hand, while her other still held tight on the bar beside Taeyeon’s handlebars.

 

“Don’t move too much!” Tiffany was so excited, they started to wobble a bit, but Taeyeon still had full control of everything. Tiffany didn’t obey her even after the warning. She stuck her tongue out to tease and then proceeded on yelling her lungs out. Luckily for them, it was already past midnight and the road’s almost empty. They first rode on neighborhoods quietly and savoring the quiet atmosphere. It was only until a while ago that Taeyeon found a highway she used to take going to Jeonju, empty.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, that was fun!” Tiffany hopped off the bicycle. It was already three am before they knew it. Taeyeon decided to drop Tiffany in her place to also ensure she wouldn’t get mugged again.

 

“It’s more fun if you’re the one peddling.” Taeyeon softly knocked on Tiffany’s arms. Tiffany crossed her arms and told her that she’ll never get a bike for herself.

 

“I didn’t say you have to. I could give you lessons at night if you want. We could use my bike.” Taeyeon shrugged. Tiffany didn’t even consider any idea of learning how to ride a bike after what happened to her before. She enjoyed riding it as a passenger more.

 

“Will the CEO of Nylon never learn how to ride a simple manual transportation mechanism? Even the six year old that live next door knows how.” Taeyeon teased. Tiffany ignored her though.

 

“Good night, ET. Thank you for the ride.” Tiffany said as if Taeyeon did not just moments ago.

 

“Night.” Taeyeon rode off as she waved her hand lazily above her head. Tiffany leaned on the pillar and waited for Taeyeon to vanish within her view before going in her house.











a/n:
It's been a while? It feels like it's been a while! My internet connection died at home, so i'm living by my university's connection lol.
Fany's baaack~ Lol for a while. Also, a little snippet of what Jessica thought first before going into an Idol World. That's partly why Taeyeon's worried for Krystal. ^^
I listened to Bump It and Green Light as I wrote this. I don't know which is more suitable. I liked both songs, honestly.
Wait, Maybe Bump It is more suitable? First it's mellow and then suddenly it's hyped ^^ Like Taeyeon's mood in the chapter, right? But is she really alright?
What do you guys think?
Sorry for any typographical/grammatical errors. Hahaha.