Chapter 5

Creatures
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

''Sungjae?'' they whispered.

Mr and Mrs Yook looked at their son in disbelief. Was this a corpse? No, he was moving, Sungjae was moving. But, how on earth did he get back to Seoul all the way from Jeju without any passport? Nevertheless, Sungjae also looked very different from how he used to. It was like he was reincarnated, so familiar yet so different. 

''H-how?'' Mrs Yook broke into tears. She was startled but happy at the same time. She was grateful that her son didn't die. 

''Do you lose your glasses? Can you see clearly? And what have you been all this time to make yourself look more tougher...'' Mr Yook scrutinized Sungjae from head to toe. He wasn't the lanky nerdy son of his. His body was nicely built. Overall, he looked healthier but he smelled bad.

''I can see very clearly and I want to take a bath now,'' Sungjae said and he walked pass his parents into the house, jogged upstairs and went to his bedroom.

 

''Okay, can you please explain what is happening and where are you all this time?'' Mr Yook asked with his arm folded, looking all strict and dense.

''This and that happen, and I just kind of survive from death,'' Sungjae blurted.

Mr Yook was furious. ''After disappearing for a month and then suddenly came back with a really bad attitude. Don't tell me you're joining gangs or loan shark or-'' he was totally provoked.

''PLEASE!'' Sungjae raised his voice. ''Be at least happy that I can come back.'' He stood up from the sofa wanted to leave the living room. ''You don't even know anything,'' he sussuranted. 

Mrs Yook was worried that the relationship between the father and son might became distant so she quickly said something to prevent more conflict to occur, ''Sungjae, you must be tired. Take a nap first, I'll bring you to the optic to make a new pair of spectacles.''

 

At noon, Sungjae woke up from his nap. Mr Yook had gone to work so Sungjae was kind of relief that he didn't have to expound and talk everything that had happened to him. He had to keep it as a secret if not his life would be in danger. Mrs Yook made something for Sungjae to eat before she brought Sungjae out.

Inside the car, Sungjae was quiet unlike last time. He used to chit-chat with his mother about anything and most of his topic was about Euna. However, Infinite wasn't mentioned, not even once because he didn't want his mother to worry him.

''Sungjae, it's okay you don't want to say anything. Umma knows you're having a hard time,'' Mrs Yook said but Sungjae didn't give any reply.

 

Sungjae had done his eyesight examination and was waiting for the results. Together with Mrs Yook, they sat opposite to the doctor. 

''Hmm,'' the doctor looked at the result. ''Your son's eyesight is normal. There was no short-sightedness. So, there's no need to make a pair of glasses.''

''I told you, I can see very clearly,'' Sungjae murmured.

Although the result proved everything, Mrs Yook still couldn't believe the fact that how Sungjae's short-sightedness was cured in just a month. His eyesight was bad since he was small. He wore glasses when he was just six years old. Things were getting weirder and weirder. She wanted to know why but Sungjae just remained his mouth shut. He must be in his rebellious stage. 

 

The next morning, Sungjae jogged down the stairs with one of his backpack's strap slung over his shoulder. Mr Yook shifted his gaze from the newspaper to his son, ''You're going to school?'' 

''Yes. It's been quite long since I go to school,'' Sungjae approached the dining table, pulled out the chairs and took a seat.

''But I still haven't brought you to clear off your death's information,'' Mrs Yook said. If Sungjae went to school like that, he would make a really big fuss to all the students and teachers in school.

''We can do it anytime, umma. If I skip school for a few more weeks, I won't be able to catch up the others,'' Sungjae stuffed the last piece of bread into his mouth before he left the house to school.

 

After tying his shoelaces, Sungjae stood up and began his life as a normal high school student again. He inhaled deeply before he took his first step. As Sungjae pushed open the gate of his house, a very, very familia

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter