Mantis

New Life, New School, New Drama

"Dialogue"
"Thinking"

It's about time, i finally get the chance to practice my bending i feel like i haven't felt the earth beneath my feet in forever. At my old school  pretty much everything was centered around training, i'm not used to such lax standards i know my mother said that this was the best elemental school in the district and if this is what the best is like i would hate to see what the others are like. 
Earth bending was not something that always came easy to me even though it was in my DNA, when i was younger i thought of giving and going to a school for normal people where i wouldn't have to deal with the judgement  of my teachers and peers, even when i went home my parents would have the strained smile telling me that everything would be okay when i knew that they didn't believe that. I had given myself two months to get better at Earth bending or give up, giving up wasn't something that i wanted to do but i didn't know what else to do. i was one and a half months in when i caught a break i was sitting in the library reading a book about the history of Earth bending when i came upon a small chapter about an alternative style to earth bending, it seemed to have been a style used in combat when the great wars where going on where earth benders needed to be faster, more agile. With my training in dance and martial arts this style seemed like it would be much easier for me. You see earth bending was a very heavy style that just didn't fit me at all. Earth benders tended to be more muscular than other benders, i on the other hand could be mistaken for an air bender. Now I just needed a place to train away from my family hanging over my shoulder. 
That's how a ten year old ended up at the abandoned park playing
"What are you doing?" my head snapped in the direction where i heard the voice coming from and found a boy about my age standing there and smiling to the right of me.
"Um i'm just working on something i read about in a book but it's not working out the way i thought it would." not working out the way i thought hell it's crashing and failing. He looked at me raising his eyebrow as if to ask what i was working on. Rolling my eyes i sighed.
"It's sort of this thing that i- well i can't really- huh damn it i'm working on my earth bending but i'm using a different style than what is usually used since i'm so terrible at doing it the way i'm supposed to and... i seem to be failing at this too"by the time i was finished saying what i was saying tears where on the edge of spilling over. After a short while the boy finally spoke up.
"Wow, you really know how to let it all out don't you. Hhmm why don't you let me help you i'm pretty good at solving problems."He has got to be kidding me, my disbelief must have shown on my face because he continued. "What no i'm serious i can pretty much solve any problem. so let me see this book and get down to work i'll have you problem fixed in no time." I'm not sure why but i sort of believed him. It seemed like it had been forever since i last did this but i smiled.
"How are you going to help me if we don't even know each others name."
"Well my name is Zhoumi what's your."
"Jia, my name is Jia." 
From then on we studied what we could find about Haru earth bending for quiet some time all i was able to get was a small earthquake and nothing else but we finally were able to make a break,.
"It's you style, Jia it's your style of fighting that we need to change!" before i was even able to question his statement he continued. "No just listen a second, you see the traditional earth fighting style is based off of the Hung Gar style right? So why don't we try try a style that  flows a bit more, you yourself said that this earth bending was a lot like air and water bending so why don't we pick a martial arts style like them."
"Yeah but what style."
"Is there a style that you know or like that you might try."
I knew a few style of martial arts but most of the styles that i knew where used for traditional earth bending. Well i knew wushu but it was not a style i was fond of wait what abou-
"Southern Praying mantis style, it's a style I've seen my dad use sometimes his element is air."
"Okay that can work, I know a studio that teaches martial arts why don't we go there tomorrow."
My smile almost split my face in half i was so happy. I felt like i was finally making progress in the right direction and i would have none of this if it wasn't for Zhoumi. Now that i think about it i knew nothing about him. He's been helping me for weeks and i don't even know what his element is hell i don't know if he was an elemental.
"Hey Zhoumi are you a bender too?" he raised his eyebrow as if he was surprised that i asked.
"Wow it only took you forever to ask i was beginning to think you didn't care about me." he sniffils as if he was crying, god he's such a drama queen. "Well my beautiful earth goddess i am a fire bender."
"...really?."
"Really."
"Are you sure?"
"Well i'm pretty sure, you know I've only been one my entire life."
"I'm sorry if i sounded like a , it's just that every other fire benders I've met are kind of douche bag. no offense."
"None taken we're just very in your face and people take it as use being s. I'm just happy that i can break that stereotype."
"Aww now i'm starting to feel bad about calling you a douche."
"Well you should." After that we both burst into laughter
"Okay see you tomorrow."
"Yeah see you."
Over the course of the next few weeks i learned southern praying mantis style and incorporated it into bending. it was difficult at first, it felt l like i was starting at the beginning of school all over again but slowly but surely i accelerated at this new style. Over the years i was able to learn how to do traditional earth bending again but i always preferred the Haru earth bending style. And it's all thanks to Zhoumi, if i hadn't met him i would have given up on bending all together and i just can't imagine what my life would be like if i had stopped.


Chapter song- Red Velvet: One of these Nights