Chapter Five: A Glass Case of Emotion

It All Started with a Big Bang...

 

(Recap in italics)

"I'm taking a chance on you - I've never hired someone as young as you for this type of position.  Don't disappoint me."

Caden felt a slight shiver creep up her spine at this statement.

"Yes sir, I'll work hard," she answered, determined.  He smiled then - a small one, but still.  Caden smiled back, a real smile this time - she could no longer contain herself.  With that the President dismissed her.  Caden stood, bowing deeply, thanking him.  She turned to go and had just opened the door when he called to her once more,

"Oh, one more thing..."

Caden turned, looking back at him.  He stared at her probingly for a moment before saying,

"That nervous habit of yours - biting your lip...  Don't do it in front of your students."

"Oh..." she said, unsure as how to respond. "Um, yes, of course.  I won't."  With one last bow she left, closing the door behind her.  She let out a sigh of relief.  Despite his praise, the President was rather scary to be alone with.

 

She felt a hand tap her on the shoulder and turned to see Teacher Park smiling at her.

"Hello," she greeted in English. "You did very well in there!  We haven't had a chance to introduce ourselves properly - I'm Park Minhae."  She held out her hand to shake.

"I'm Caden Mancini," she responded, taking her hand and shaking it like a typical American handshake.  Teacher Park however, took her hand with an outstretched arm, bowing while she shook.  Caden wasn't sure what to do.  Living in Japan for the past several years had taught her fairly good bowing etiquette, but no one there shook hands unless absolutely necessary, so this hand shake/bowing combo threw her slightly off guard.

"I'm very happy to be able to work with you before I go," Teacher Park continued. "I didn't sit in on any of the other interviews, but I thought your was very good!  Let's work hard together!"  Caden smiled.  She seemed like a very nice person.  She was happy to have such an obviously good teacher to help her master Korean.

"Thanks so much," she replied. "I was surprised to get a job offer on the first interview, but I'm thrilled.  This seems like an interesting job.  Please take good care of me."

Teacher Park tittered behind her hand at that statement.

"You sometimes speak English like a Japanese speaker," she giggled. "It's cute.  I had friends in college who were Japanese exchange students and they said things like that."  Caden laughed too, knowing she was right.  Her family said the same thing when she talked to them.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but why are you leaving this job?" Caden asked, unable to contain her curiosity.  She had learned well how to use her foreign status in Asian countries to her advantage over the past few years.  Rather than being insulted by the locals' tendency to assume her culturally unaware, she used it to get out of trouble in case she ever came across as offensive.  She didn't seem to need it this time, however, because Teacher Park only smiled,

"I don't mind at all.  I'm leaving because I'm getting married."

Caden couldn't help but look slightly surprised.

"You're quitting because you're getting married?" she blurted out.  Teacher Park laughed.

"It's very Korean of me, I know," she said jokingly, but without a trace of embarrassment, "but my fiance and I plan to start having children right away.  I have to get started before I get too old."  Caden nodded, feigning understanding, but her American brain just couldn't seem to wrap around the idea.  She knew better than to dwell on it further, and instead brought up her next curiosity,

"Do you know how many other people were interviewed before me, by any chance?"

"Hmm," the woman said thoughtfully, "I'm not sure exactly, but it's been quite a few.  I think you must have been just what he was looking for.  But I wonder why he interviewed so many other people if he liked your application so much..."  She pondered this, looking Caden over closely for the first time.  But she quickly shrugged it off.  She looked at her watch and quickly excused herself, promising to work hard when Caden returned in two weeks.

Caden watched her scamper off down the hall, still thinking about her interview.  It was obvious that the President still didn't plan on revealing to anyone that she hadn't been the expected applicant.  She began to walk slowly back downstairs.  She was slightly dazed, thinking back on the day's events.  With all the craziness of the sudden interview, she had totally forgotten about the strange occurance that started it all - literally running into her two Korean celebrity crushes.  She's managed to forget all about it until she turned down the stairs back onto the first floor and looked up to see G Dragon walking toward the stairwell and her.

He spotted her at nearly the same time and they both came to an abrupt halt.  He offered her a sunny smile which she returned with a polite one of her own. Now that she was officially working with Big Bang, she was even more determined to treat them all as normal and non-famous/gorgeous/talented as possible.  G Dragon spoke first.

"This wouldn't happen to be your phone, would it?" he asked somewhat sheepishly in very good English, holding up several clearly broken pieces of familiar technology.  Caden's hand flew to her pockets, finding them all empty, immediately realizing  it to be the case.

"I found it over by where you fell earlier," he continued, dropping the broken pieces into her now outstretched hands.  She stared down at the shattered phone in disbelief.

"This isn't good," she muttered.  Then she seemed to realize something.

"Oh no!" she cried. "The President is supposed to call me tomorrow and this is the number I listed!  How is he going to get ahold of me in Japan when I'm not-"

"Wait, wait, wait," G Dragon said, trying not to smile at the way she talked all at once when she was upset. "I can help you.  Here-" he scooped the broken phone pieces out of her hands. "-let me go talk to our President about it.  Wait here."  Caden nodded, smiling weakly.

 

GD turned and walked casually around the corner, then began bounding up the stairs once he was out of sight.  He was slightly out of breath once her reached the seventh floor - he wasn't used to climbing the stairs that high, but he had known that he wouldn't run into her if he had taken the elevator..  Without stopping to consider the reasons behind this plan, GD took off down the hall that Caden had left not ten minutes before.

He knocked twice on the door before letting himself in.  YG looked up from some papers, not seeming too surprised by his sudden visitor, although he hadn't been expecting anyone.

"President," GD greeted him, flopping down into the chair that Caden had recently vacated. "I have a favor to ask you..."

"A favor?" the President repeated teasingly. "What have you done to deserve a  favor from me?"  GD grinned,

"It's not for me.  It's for the new tutor."  He had run into Teacher Park right before, who had told him about the girl being hired.  YG raised an eyebrow, but didn't respond.  GD poured the broken cell phone bits onto the desk.

"I found this a second ago and it turns out her phone broke when she fell earlier.  She didn't notice it was missing until I showed her just now.  So the favor is - can you get her a new phone?  She'll need to get a new one when she moves here anyway."  YG studied him closely for the briefest of seconds before pushing the button on his intercom.

"Can you bring me a new phone," he said, looking up at GD.  There was no response, but they both knew that the order had been received.

"Getting a head started looking after your teacher?" YG deadpanned.

"I'm trying to get extra credit," GD joked.  YG smiled and just then the door opened and one of the secretaries walked in with a shiny new phone from the company's current sponser.  She set it down on the desk.

"Make sure it's activated as soon as possible," YG requested absentmindedly.  The woman nodded and turned, walking out without a word.  There was a small sticky note with the front of the box.  YG picked up a pen and corrected the phone number on Caden's paperwork before handing it over to GD.

"There," he said, "although I don't think I'm supposed to help students get extra credit."  GD laughed easily, bowed, and sauntered out the door and back down the stairs to where Caden was waiting.

She looked a bit nervous, pacing around the lobby.  He noticed, however, that she put up a veil of calm as soon as she spotted him.  This amused him more than he expected, but he covered it as best he could.

"I talked to our President about your phone and he agreed that it was very important to be able to get in touch with you, so he told me to give you this."

He held out the new phone and smiled as her eyes widened in surprise.

"This is for me?" she squeaked in shock. "I can't believe it was replaced so quickly..."  GD laughed easily at her reaction.

"Yep," he affirmed, smiling. "You can expect him to be in touch."  Caden stared down at the phone in disbelief for a moment more before a broad smile broke across her face.  Without a thought, she scooped his hand up in both of hers - phone and all - and squeezed it lightly; the action throwing GD slightly off guard.

"Thank you so much!  If I hadn't just been hired to be your teacher, I'd hug you!"  She smiled, squeezing his hand happily once more before dropping it gently.  GD blinked at her for a moment, but managed to regain his composure.

"O-of course," he mumbled, trying to quell the slight blush creeping up his face.  He didn't usually lose his composure like this in front of strangers, but the easy way which she had displayed such an affectionate gesture threw him.  He was used to dealing with Westerners, but they were mostly guys and, while they also easily displayed friendly/affectionate gestures, it was different coming from a pretty girl.

"It's no problem," he said, finally pulling himself together.  Suddenly, he noticed that her gaze seemed to shift over his shoulder and her expression turned to a slightly dazed, dopey look.  GD started looking before he even heard his name being called.

"Jiyong-ah," Top called, clopping down the stairs, "Teddy hyung wanted me to get you - he wanted you to come and do some melody work... Oh."  He said, spotting Caden.  He smiled politely at her,

"Hello.  Did your interview go well?"

GD turned back to Caden.  The dopey, dazed look was gone, replaced by the forced calm he recognized from earlier - though this time it seemed a bit strained.  He wasn't so amused seeing it this time - rather he felt something resembling annoyance churning in his gut.

"Yes, very well, thank you," she responded politely in Korean, giving a small smile, but not quite looking at his face.  GD observed this silently, keeping his eyes on the girl rather than his friend.  There was a pause that was verging on awkward.  He waited for her to reveal that she had, in fact, already been hired, but she never did.

She quickly gave them both a breezy smile that GD thought was a little too sudden to be real.

"Well, I'd better get going," she said briskly, again in Korean, nodding first at Top, then GD. "Thank you again," she directed at GD, bowing deeply toward both of them before quickly turning and walking toward the door.  He watched her slip the phone into her pocket carefully and felt a flutter that no longer resembled annoyance.  The door closed behind her, leaving GD standing there with a swirling mass of conflict that he had no desire to understand, but overall hoped to avoid feeling in general.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

Have to stop here for now, since it's late and this chapter is already long. :P

If anyone watches 2ne1TV, I based Teacher Park on GD's English teacher in his birthday episode of season 1.

I also added a crappy banner that I made in Paint :P

The girl is the closest picture I could find to how I imagine Caden - the hair is perfect, but I imagine that Caden has a slightly more angular face. :D

Next update within a day or two.

I hope you're still enjoying.

Don't be afraid to comment and subscribe.

:D