Chapter Four: Shock and Awe

It All Started with a Big Bang...

(Recap in italics)

 

 

"The President is ready to see you now."  Caden stood, bowing politely to the newcomer before walking past the woman, into the office.

She immediately had a moment of strange recognition - it was odd to meet someone you only expect to see on tv.  As an avid 2ne1 fan and 2ne1TV viewer, she was much accustomed to seeing this man's face, but in a far away, unreachable respect.  Seeing him here, in person, in a job interview capacity seemed crazy.  Her stomach flip-flopped as she sat down.

Determined to keep her cool, she took a deep breath and smiled politely (having bowed when she entered the room).  The President looked her over carefully, nodding in response.  She sat straight and tall under his imploring gaze, never allowing herself to fidget and keeping an outwardly easy, polite smile plastered on her face.

"Your resume is very impressive," was the first thing he said after a long moment of scrutiny.  Caden was extremely relieved to hear this, but didn't change her expression - instead allowing herself a gracious nod.  He looked down over all of her paperwork in front of him.  He was silent again for a while.

"You don't look like a Choi Eun Ha," he said casually, not looking up from the papers.  Caden froze, her stomach clenched in fear and surprise.  She realized that he must be naming the applicant whose spot she had taken.  Knowing full well that she was caught, but unsure as to quite what to say, she was silent for a moment before deciding that she wasn't going to have much shot at the position now, and even less so if she lied.  She sighed before responding,

"That's because I'm not."

 

The President looked up at her with some amusement.

"That's obvious," he shot back, smiling slightly.  "What I'm curious about is how you've come to be interviewed in her place."  Caden half smiled, half grimaced sheepishly.

"I supposed I came here somewhat by accident," she began carefully. "I got myself lost, you see..."

Caden proceeded to describe the whole story as well as she could in her somewhat limited Korean, starting with her reason for being in the country up to her getting lost and happening upon the company building (she left out most of her incident with Top and G Dragon) to being mistaken for the job applicant, up until that moment.

"I'm acutally surprised that I made it here if you had already realized that I wasn't the intended applicant," she finished in the most polite and least awkward way she could.  The President, who had listened to her story with - not exactly an amused expression, but more blank-leaning-toward-the-side-of-positive - now gave a small smile at this statement.

"My staff knew to expect someone for the job to come today," he explained. "However, they didn't know the name and I had no reason to think it necessary to mention that she was Korean.  Since it is an English teaching position, it would seem appropriate to them that a foreign stranger would be the applicant.  I knew as soon as I saw your resume that you were a different person.  However, being that the original applicant was clearly not going to show up and seeing your impressive experience, I did not inform anyone of the mix up.  If you were honest with me about it - which you seem to be - I planned to interview you for the position instead."

In her surprise, Caden didn't know how to react to this initially and, unfortunately, resorted to staring at him with gaping open, dead fish style.  She shook herself out of it as fast as she could.

"You're still planning to consider me for the position?" she queried, trying to come across as calm and collected, but her voice betrayed some of her excitement.  The President indulged her with a small smile.

"Believe it or not, I am," he confirmed. "Granted you make it through the rest of the interview."  Caden nodded enthusiastically.  The President nodded back solemnly, pressing a button on his intercom.

"Please tell Teacher Park we are ready for her."

They both sat silently for a moment before the door opened and the woman who had turned up while Caden was waiting to be sent into the office appeared.  She was a fairly plain looking woman in her early to mid thirties with a friendly face and a polite smile.  She bowed in greeting when she entered the room.  The President gestured to an empty chair next to him that Caden hadn't noticed before.  She bowed to the woman again as she sat.

"This is the team's current English instructor, Teacher Park-"  The woman bowed once more at the introduction.  "-she has very graciously given us ample notice of her intended departure.  She is leaving one month plus two more weeks from today, generously giving us two months notice from the start.  Now I called Teacher Park here not only so you can meet your predecessor, but also as a translator for our interview.  While I'm a bit surprised by your current grasp of the Korean language, considering the short time you've been learning to speak it, you have a ways to go until you're fluent.  This way you can fully express yourself in answering each of my questions and not be limited only to your current knowledge of the language.  Teacher Park is quite fluent in English, having completed both her college and masters program in America."

"It's very nice to meet you," Teacher Park said in perfect English, smiling at her. "I hope we can work well together for your interview."

"Thank you," Caden replied, pleasantly surprised.  Oftentimes in Japan when she was told that a Japanese person was 'fluent' in English it tended to be a bit of an overstatement. "Please take good care of me."

"Alright then, let us begin," the President announced in Korean. "Answer my questions to the best of your ability.  Feel free to answer any part in English and Teacher Park will help to translate.  Now..."

He started out by asking for more detailed accounts of the programs and experiences listed in her resume.  These were easy enough to answer.  In one instance he asked her to answer first in English, then translate her answer into Japanese (although neither he nor Teacher Park would be able to tell if that was accurate), and finally translate her Japanese to Korean.  

The first two were easy enough.  Teacher Park seemed to pay close attention to her statement in English.  The last request was a bit more difficult - not so much due to translating the Japanese, but rather her lack of experience with casual Korean speech.  When she finished Teacher Park smiled and told the President that the first and last statements were essentially the same, although some phrases would be more closely related if Caden had a greater grasp of Korean vocabulary.  The President nodded once, then continued directly on to his next question before Caden had time to wonder if that reaction was good or not.

After many professional questions, the President posed a more personal one.

"Are you a fan of YG Entertainment?" he asked solemnly - the same way he had posed all the other questions, yet somehow Caden felt that answering this one would require more delicacy than the others.  She knew that too long of a pause would give away her consideration of her answer.  She knew that she shouldn't feign too little knowledge of the company's innerworkings, but at the same time it was no good to come across as some crazy fan girl who just wanted to get close to the band (which she wasn't! she reminded herself indignantly).

She smiled toothily.

"I am a fan," she admitted. "In fact, I first heard of Big Bang back in America and am a casual listener of theirs, but to be honest I'm quite a follower of 2ne1.  I've been a fan of theirs ever since their debut."  

Caden kept her eyes trained on the President, looking for an indication of how he had taken her answer.  She was cheered slightly when she noticed Teacher Park smiling encouragingly in her peripherals.  The President, however, didn't show much of a reaction.  Letting the tension get to her despite herself, Caden bit her lip nervously, looking down at the desk.  After an excruciating moment of silent contemplation, the President finally let out a determined,

"Hmm."

Caden looked up and saw that the President was staring at her intently.  She held his gaze, then smiled politely.  He nodded, seeming to decide something.

"I have one last question for you," he said seriously. "This one is the most important, so consider it carefully: Would you be willing to start working immediately?"

Caden stared at him for a moment, not sure if she had heard correctly.  She looked over at Teacher Park for affirmation and saw her nodding reassuringly.  Caden turned back to the President whose mouth was turned up in the slightest of smiles watching her.

"You're offering me the job?" she all but squeaked in surprise.

"I am," he reaffirmed.  Caden was blown away.  In all her experience applying for jobs, never had she been made an offer on her first interview.  The President continued,

"Frankly your English teaching experience is exactly what I wanted and you have a particular skill relating to your duties that none of the other applicants have to offer - you speak and teach in Japanese.  I see no reason to waste any of Teacher Park's valuable remaining time calling you back for a second or third interview."

Caden nodded enthusiastically, although her expression was slightly dazed.  The President pressed on,

"As you may have noticed, I have brought up your Japanese experience several times.  Although the description of this position describes working as an English tutor only, your experience provides me with a unique opportunity  to kill two birds with one stone - you will be teaching the boys both English and Japanese.  How do you feel about your assignment?"

Caden thought it over for a minute.

"Well, I've not yet actually taught Japanese to anyone..." she began slowly, "but I know how I learned Japanese and how my students learn English, so I should be able to successfully use the same methods for teaching Japanese."  The President nodded approvingly.

"Very good," he said. "Now let me warn you - while not usually particularly mentally demanding, this job will probably demand more of your time than any other position you've held thus far.  With a band like Big Bang, their schedule is never constant and is often packed.  As a member of the team, you will live in team quarters and as their teacher you schedule will change and shift as theirs does.  Do you understand?"

"Yes," Caden replied, nodding.  She had a feeling that she didn't really know what she was in for, but with a job offer staring her in the face she was willing to take the risk.

"Great," said the President, looking satisfied."Now back to my original question - how soon can you start?"

"Well..." Caden said, again starting carefully. "I need to find a place to live..."

"Done.  You will be staying in Teacher Park's current living arrangement with her and remain there once she leaves us."

"Okay, perfect.  Well I'll need to make arrangements to move all my things..."

"I'll take care of that as well."

"Wow, you're making this very easy for me," Caden said, more than a little surprised by the way this was turning out. "Well then I guess the only thing I really need to worry about are my country papers.  So realistically it'll probably take... two weeks?  Maybe slightly less."

"Good," the President said, nodding. "That leaves you a month of language training with Teacher Park, as well as ample opportunity to study her teaching methods before she goes.  When do you leave to go back to Japan?"

"Tomorrow night," she answered.  She'd planned to leave only a few hours after her job interview with the intention of returning if she recieved a call back.  The President nodded,

"Right.  Now I want you to go back to your hotel for tonight.  I'll provide you with a car to take you back.  I want you to call and cancel your interview for tomorrow - only polite to give them ample warning so they can begin looking for another candidate if necessary.  I will call you tomorrow to make sure everything is in order.  Once you are back in Japan I will be in touch often to check your progress.

"Here is your contract of employment.  As you can see, it isn't very complicated - although it does contain a silence clause on certain aspects of the company.  Go over it before you sign and of course have Teacher Park help you if necessary."

Caden took the contract, reading it carefully.  She understood at least the gist of all of it - the President was right, it was fairly basic.  She asked Teacher Park about a few of the legal terms, just to be sure, before finally signing.  The President handed her a copy she would need to get her visa papers before nodding at Teacher Park.

"Thank you.  You may go now," he dismissed her.  She stood, still smiling politely, and bowed again before walking briskly out the door.  As soon as it closed, the President turned a serious gaze on Caden.  She held very still, never allowing herself to fidget.  After a moment he spoke seriously,

"I'm taking a chance on you - I've never hired someone as young as you for this type of position.  Don't disappoint me."

Caden felt a slight shiver creep up her spine at this statement.

"Yes sir, I'll work hard," she answered, determined.  He smiled then - a small one, but still.  Caden smiled back, a real smile this time - she could no longer contain herself.  With that the President dismissed her.  Caden stood, bowing deeply, thanking him.  She turned to go and had just opened the door when he called to her once more,

"Oh, one more thing..."

Caden turned, looking back at him.  He stared at her probingly for a moment before saying,

"That nervous habit of yours - biting your lip...  Don't do it in front of your students."

"Oh..." she said, unsure as how to respond. "Um, yes, of course.  I won't."  With one last bow she left, closing the door behind her.  She let out a sigh of relief.  Despite his praise, the President was rather scary to be alone with.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

Wow, this chapter was longer than I thought... I was going to include more, but I'll just move it to the next chapter so this isn't too crazy long.

Sorry, there weren't more moments with the boys in this chapter, but there was plenty of YG interaction. :D

I promised the two boys who we've seen so far will feature strongly in the next chapter. :D

The next chapter should be up by tomorrow, but no later than the next day.

I always appreciate comments and subscribers! 

Thanks everyone for reading, please continue to enjoy.