thirteen 열셋

I'm G-Dragon's Bestfriend

Chapter Thirteen: When Everything Finally Reached Its End

Jiyong's heart thrummed as he stepped into his car. He had just arrived in Haneda airport and thankfully none of his fans came. The news of him departing from Seoul and arriving in Tokyo hadn't spread. And he's grateful for that because he's just having too much in his mind.

He arrived in Tokyo at around 5 pm and now he was going to meet Kiko to tell her that he couldn't do it. Not anymore.

They were meeting in her apartment and she said she was going to cook for him. For a moment he felt extremely sorry for her because the reason why he was there wasn't going to make her happy. After an hour, they finally arrived in front of the apartment. The 15-storeys building was very modern with tight security and a beautiful garden in front of it. Somehow, he had a feeling that this was going to be the last time he's here.

He pressed Kiko's apartment number on the security intercom. The bell must've ringed in Kiko's apartment that she immediately allowed him to pass through the security door. Once he was on the elevator, he pressed floor 9. Within a minute, he was in front of her apartment. He took a deep breath before Kiko opened the door. She was wearing makeup from an earlier photo shoot. But her outfit was her usual comfy shirt and shorts. She was wearing her fluffy slippers and she blew out hair was down. She was beautiful.

He smiled as she dragged him inside. The door closed and she placed two arms around his neck and hugged him.

"I missed you..." She said even though they had just met three days ago. He reciprocated her embrace by placing his arms around her waist.

"Me too..."

~~~

Kiko cooked three dishes for him. Teriyaki Salmon, Yakisoba, and gyoza. She said she also bought the classic fluffy Japanese pancake for dessert. They sat opposite of each other and talked about what they had been doing the past two days. For some reason, Kiko couldn't stop talking. Maybe she was preventing him from doing one.

Once their food was finished, they went straight to dessert. Kiko was opening the fridge and for a moment she stopped talking.

"Kiko...I can't do this..." He said, remorsefully.

Kiko's heart dropped. She knew something was up when he told her that he was visiting her. It wasn't normal for them to be casually visiting each other especially when it's only been three days since they've been apart. And she wasn't prepared to hear what he had to say. She was so nervous that she kept on blabbering stuff that she wasn't even thinking about.

"What can't you do?" She took the pancakes out from the fridge and plastered a smile on her face as she turned her body around.

"I don't want to publicize our relationship." He finally said it. He felt as if a lump inside his esophagus had been dissolved. He can finally breathe.

Kiko gave a soft nod as she placed the dessert on the table.

"Then let's...break up." She said as tears gathered in her eyes. Jiyong's mouth gaped.

"That's not what I meant. I just want us to return to what we used to do." Jiyong explained himself.

"But I'm tired of going on secret dates and we can't even eat outside freely because we're too afraid people would take photos of us," Kiko said and a tear fell from her eye. She quickly wiped it from her cheek.

"Yes but...I don't think we'd be happier going public." He said and felt like a bastard for making her cry.

"Just do me a favor. Let's make it known to the public that we've broken up and that we're never ever getting back together." Kiko said and got up from the table. Jiyong couldn't say anything. He had just broken up with his girlfriend. He couldn't feel anything.

"Kiko..." He called softly but she didn't turn around and left for her room.

"Just go and do me that one favor." She said and turned the doorknob of her room before going inside and locking herself in.

~~~

Jiyong wore his sunglasses even though it was pitch dark. Tears were b in his eyes and he didn't want anyone to know. He was on the way to the airport and his flight was at 9 pm. He took out his phone. He just needed someone to be with him.

He wanted to call Youngbae. But he told him that he was going to be with Hyorin in Busan. He had never felt so alone in his life. Then he pressed Yeo Jung's number. He called her.

"Hello?" After a couple of rings, she finally answered. She sounded sleepy.

"Come to my place." He said.

"Who is this?" She said and yawned. And he hung up already.

By the time he reached home was 12 a.m. He dragged himself to his apartment door and was startled when he saw a girl sitting on the floor beside his door with her eyes closed. She was clearly dozing off.

He poked her shoulder and she immediately opened her eyes. She looked up and got up from the floor.

"Why did you call me? Did you lose some files again?" She asked as she stretched her body. He shook his head and removed his glasses.

His eyes were red and tears were falling. Yeo Jung's eyes widened, shocked.

"Why? What happened?" She asked softly but he just leaned his head on her shoulder. She was sure that something bad had happened between him and Kiko but she knew that now wasn't the right time to ask. So she patted his back and soothed him. Trying her hardest to comfort him.

 

~~~

Once they were inside the apartment, they sat on the carpet with a coffee table between them and Jiyong told her everything. From the moment he arrives at Kiko's apartment to the moment he left. He wasn't crying anymore, but his eyes were still red. Yeojung didn't say anything. More like, she didn't know what to say. She had never been in such a heartbreaking break up before. The only break up she had been was because they weren't really in love with each other.

"Want me to play you something?" She asked as he was looking down to his feet. Then, he looked at her and nodded.

She then grabbed a guitar in Jiyong's private studio and went back to the living room where they were sitting. She sat down beside him and placed her left hand on the arm of the guitar while her right hand on the heart of it. She played the A minor chord and hummed the melody. The C chord, then E minor. It took Jiyong long enough to realize that she was singing his own song. Haru Haru.

It has been quite sometimes since he listened to that song. One of the first pieces that led him to success. That song was his originality. When he composed that song, he was himself. He knew himself. But over the years, after his breakthrough and success, he felt that he lost himself somewhere along the blurred tracks.

She finished playing and was slightly ashamed of her amateur guitar skill. That was probably the first time she played one whole song.

"Thanks for playing that," Jiyong said and relaxed his body as he leaned his back against the sofa behind him.

"Do you feel better now?" Yeojung asked with the guitar still under her arms. She was actually feeling really sleepy.

He nodded and gave a small but genuine smile.

"So you know how to play guitar too?" He asked.

"Just learned it a few days ago." She replied, almost closing her eyes.

"From who?" He asked and smiled as he knew how tired she was because she was literally dozing off.

"Sam Kim." She replied before fully closing her eyes.

"Sam...Kim?" He repeated. He didn't know who that was, but he was eager to know. Because playing guitar can't be that easy and yet she learned within a few days. Either this Sam Kim is a good teacher or she's a damn genius.

Just like that, they both dozed off in the living room.

~~~

The light triggered through Jiyong's eye lids. It took him quite some time to admit that he had to wake up. So when he did, he winced at the glare sun rays. Just as he moved, he felt something above his head, possibly beside it. It felt like someone's hair. He got up from his sleeping position and saw Yeojung still asleep. He felt a huge pang of relief. Thankfully, his sofa was an L shape, so it can be occupied by two sleepy people. Jiyong took the longer side while Yeojung took the shorter one.

He looked at her and gave a small smile. Quietly, he got up from the sofa and grabbed a blanket from his room. He placed it over her body gently so that she didn't wake up. He also closed the curtain so that she could sleep peacefully. Then he went to the kitchen area and opened his fridge. He got nothing. Only a box of leftover kimchi and beer. His mom hadn't been coming to store more food because she was overseas, having a holiday with her friends.

Then he went to the pantry to pick up a pack of Shin ramyun. But there was none left. How could he have nothing in his home?

He sighed. He felt hopeless as he threw himself on the sofa, laying on his back.

Then Yeojung woke up and stretched her arms. Her hair was all tangled up and she looked really pale.

"Morning." Jiyong greeted still in his sleeping position and she was startled. She gasped and quickly put her arms down. She eyes diverted towards the sleeping figure behind her.

"What time is it?" She asked with her eyes wide open.

"Don't know." He said and placed the back of his right hand above his forehead. Yeo Jung rummaged through the blanket which was now spread out beside her. At last, she found her phone. Damn it she should get a watch real soon.

10:00 a.m.

She gasped and bit her lips. She's late for work. She got up from the sofa and reached out for her bag.

"It's Saturday," Jiyong said and Yeo Jung quickly looked at him, then at her phone. She felt a huge pang of relief. It is Saturday.

Then she sat down on the sofa. She wanted to brush her teeth real quick.

"I need to wash my face..." She said softly, trying not to spread her morning breath out. Jiyong nodded and gave her the permission.

 

~~~

Yeojung walked out of the bathroom with a freshly cleaned face and mouth. Now she felt confident.

Jiyong was still on the sofa but now he was sitting, looking into the thin air.

"I guess I'll get going..." She said and grabbed her bag.

"Wait..." He called out, stopping her steps.

"Yes?" She turned around and found him right in front of her.

He then lowered his head to the same level as hers and took her hand. She narrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

"Can you cook?" He asked.

"Y-Yes...I guess?" She answered, unsure if she's actually able to. Well, she had been living alone for a few years now and during that time, she developed some cooking skills. Not much, but she could cook basic Korean dishes.

~~~

Within 15 minutes, they arrived at Jiyong's parents' apartment near Gangbook area. He used to live here until he wanted to move out to have his own space and to let his parents off the hook. At first, his parents refused to let him go, claiming that they weren't troubled at all and that their privacies weren't disturbed. But Jiyong knew that they were.

The Kwons live on the 8th floor out of the 20 stories building. The apartment was beautiful. Very modern yet cozy. Right when they went in the apartment, there was a large living room and an open kitchen. The sofa was gray colored and L-shaped. In front of the sofa was the wooden coffee table and then at a good distance, a large smart TV. There were family photos on the wall above the sofa, probably taken a few years back. And then Yeojung turned her eyes to the open kitchen.

There was a large fridge beside the stone table with stoves on it. And there was also a bar table. On it, there was a basket of fruits and letters which hadn't been opened yet. Between the living room and the kitchen was the large dining table which could fit up to 10 people. And plus, there's a chandelier hung from the high ceiling above the living room.

Yeo Jung was in awe. Of course, her family home was luxurious too and had been for a long time. But it never felt like a home to her. Not when it always gives a cold vibe.

"This is beautiful." She said with her eyes still roaming around the apartment. Jiyong sat on the sofa and relaxed.

"Now can you please start cooking?" He asked. She scrunched her nose and headed towards the kitchen, to the fridge. It was full of food. Literally full.

She didn't even know where to start. So she took a plastic of prawns and a box of tofu. She also took kimchi and a couple of banchan.

Within 10 minutes, she started putting in the kimchi into an earthen cook pot. She added red pepper paste and then the onion, mushrooms, shrimp and a handful of sliced beef. After adding 4 cups of water in it, she started the stove and let it cook while she cooks something else. Thankfully, there was rice cooked beforehand.

She decided to cook a steamed egg and kimchi pancake. Because they're easy.

She beat 4 eggs and quickly stir them. Then she added chicken broth to the earthen bowl and then the beaten eggs as well as chopped scallions and a tablespoon of fish sauce. Then she placed it on the stove, letting it cook.

For the kimchi pancake, she only added flour and water to the kimchi, mixing them together. Then she fried them in a non-stick pan. Somehow she felt proud of herself for being able to cook these dishes even though it's because they are plain easy to cook.

The smell of frying kimchi pancake invited Jiyong to the kitchen. He stood beside Yeojung who was effortlessly focused on flipping her kimchi pancake. She sighed of relief when she succeeded. He smiled and opened the cover to the kimchi jjigae. He then grabbed an egg from the pantry and crack it open, letting it slip into the red colored soup.

Yeojung looked at him and nodded.

"I like it with egg." He said and she smiled.

After another 5 minutes, all the dishes were done. She placed the sliced kimchi pancakes on a plate and both the earthen bowls on the table with placemats underneath them. Jiyong also prepared the banchan. He took some kimchi, seasoned potatoes as well as radish kimchi and placed them in small bowls.

They sat opposite of each other with a bowl of rice each in front of them.

" 먹에습니다!" Both of them said and dig into their home cooked deliciousness.

While they were busy digging in, Mr. Kwon arrived home. Jiyong didn't even notice until his father was standing in front of them. Jiyong turned his head to his left and his eyes widened.

"Abeoji." He called out and she turned her head towards the figure on her right.

She stood up and bowed her body. He too did that.

"Relax kids." Mr. Kwon said and smiled from ear to ear. He looked just like a father who's happy to see his son.

"Your mom is out to Greece!" He exclaimed and both kids knew that he was envious of his wife. Jiyong couldn't help but giggle.

"I'm sure she's having fun," Jiyong said, facing him.

"Yes I'm sure of that," Mr. Kwon said and eyed Yeo Jung who was still standing. "And who is this?" He asked.

"This is my recording engineer, Kang Yeojung." Jiyong introduced.

"Hello. I'm Kang Yeojung." She said, her eyes still on the floor.

"Ah, yes. Nice to meet you. I'm Jiyong's father." Mr. Kwon said, facing her. At last, she looked up and saw the resemblance between both of them.

"You guys look alike." She said and grinned.

"Really? People said I look like my mom." Jiyong said and Mr. Kwon agreed. Yeojung became embarrassed because it is true.

"Are you just trying to please me, Kang Yeojung-sshi?" Mr. Kwon asked, teasing her.

"Yes? I mean, no!" She exclaimed and waved her hands in front of her. Both men giggled and she felt more embarrassed.

They might not look alike, but their personalities are definitely twins. Like father, like son.

~~~

Mr. Kwon joined them for their feast brunch although he just ate breakfast with his friends at the market. He complimented Yeojung for her delicious cooking and finished the steamed egg.

After brunch, Jiyong and Yeojung washed the dishes. Yeojung would clean the plates and bowls with soap and Jiyong would rinse them.

"I'm going to ask Seungho to do it." He said with his eyes still focused on cleaning the plates while Yeo Jung's flew towards him. She nodded silently, not really knowing what to reply.

"He's gonna talk..." Jiyong said and stopped what he was doing for a few seconds.

"It's going to be alright." She said, comforting him. They looked at each other and smiled.

~~~

"G-DRAGON & MIZUHARA KIKO'S UNCONFIRMED RELATIONSHIP IS NOW CONFIRMED TO BE OVER"

Teddy quoted from the online tabloid he was reading. In front of Teddy was Jiyong who had his cap on his face. He eyed his long-time hoobae and felt that Jiyong's overly fine over the fact that he had just broken up with his long-time girlfriend.

"Are you okay?" Teddy asked as he approached Jiyong, who was still in the same position.

"I'm fine," Jiyong replied and put his cap back on his head.

"What happened? I thought things were going well." Teddy asked and sat beside Jiyong's rotating chair.

"I don't want a public relationship and she wants one. So..." Jiyong explained while signing in his computer. Teddy nodded and gave him a small but sincere smile.

 

~~~

Youngbae, little Seunghyun, big Seunghyun, Daesung, Teddy, Hyorin, Yeseul and Yeojung slowly crept onto Jiyong's apartment door. While Youngbae pressed the bell to the apartment, the others were trying so hard not to burst out laughing and dropping the cake which was on little Seunghyun's arms. Hyorin lighted the multiple candles punched on the top of the chocolate cake and big Seunghyun handed the rest of the crew the party horns. They also brought some food. Pizza, Soondae, Deokbokki, Fish cakes, Mandoo, tuna sushi as well as bottles of beers and wines. And guess who ran all the food errands? Yeojung.

Then the door opened.

"SURPRISE!" Everyone chanted.

 

~~~

Hi guys!

two chapters out!

 

what do you think? Do you think G-Dragon and Kiko should be forever?

Or not?

 

love you,

miss_sh