Invite

Oblivious Love

‘There’s a rumour that there’s a new transfer student’, whispered someone as Bomi walked towards her classroom. A new student? She thought. She pushed the classroom door, and like every normal morning, students were causing ruckus in the class. Bomi walked towards her seat which sat right at the back of the room next to a window. She sat down and watched as everyone was too engrossed in their conversations with each other. ‘The movie was amazing’, gushed a girl nearby. Bomi’s eyes trailed to a group of girls sitting around one table talking about a movie that recently came out, she turned around and faced the window, so lonely… thought Bomi as she closed her eyes and tried to drown out the constant screams, and chatters. As she was about to fall asleep a loud clatter was heard and everyone scuttled towards their seats and Bomi’s eyes went towards the classroom door. Mr Choi entered into the class followed by a new student, ‘Everyone this is Dasom’. The class whispered in hushed voices, complimenting her figure and pretty face. Bomi however felt as if something was off. She tilted her head and stared at the new student. ‘Have I seen her before?’ she quietly whispered.

-

At break time everyone crowded around the new students table bombarding her with questions, Bomi stood up quietly and walked out but not before having eye contact with the new student, Dasom. There was a strange look in her eyes, almost as if she was startled. Bomi reverted her eyes towards the door but just as she was about to exit she glanced behind her back one last time to still see the new student staring at her. Bomi walked towards the cafeteria, she felt a minor migraine coming on, so she went up to the school rooftop, no one was there, no one ever was. She leaned against the wall and closed her eyes. Her mind restlessly reminded her of the bills she had to pay, the only problem was she couldn’t work long hours, she needed to study hard to get into a good university therefore she had no time to work or earn any money, it would hinder her education. ‘Aish, really’, Bomi muttered crossly, as she stood up, she headed back down to her classroom where everyone was still talking to the new student. She’s strange, thought Bomi as the girls eyes once again locked with her own. She walked towards her desk and sat down with a heavy thud. Feeling awfully tired she put her head down on the table and closed her eyes. She wasn’t asleep and she could still hear everyone talking, one conversation seemed to catch her attention. ‘What’s her name?’ Dasom asked. The other girls around her went silent around her, ‘Her name’s Yoon Bomi’, a girl said almost in a whisper. ‘But no one talks to her’, quipped in other. ‘Why?’ Dasom asked curiously. The girls around her looked at each other, ‘She seems like the cold, mean type’, ‘she’s always grumpy and rude’. Bomi half smiled to herself whilst listening to everyone’s responses. But a part of her felt sad, her attitude and mannerism wasn’t intentional, it just seemed like that, however there was no justification to prove that and Bomi all but accepted this.

-

Daehyun walked towards a lecture, his hands full of books, ‘thank you oppa’, the girl gushed as Daehyun passed the books to her, ‘No problem’, he said winking. Himchan watched as his best friend continued flirting with her. ‘Get a girlfriend man’, he said shaking his head. Daehyun turned around to see Himchan standing there shaking his head in amusement. ‘Yeah right’, Daehyun chuckled as he headed towards his own lecture. As he was about to turn to the next corridor the sound of fast footsteps could be heard, turning around he saw a boy walking towards him waving a piece of paper in the air. ‘Hyung!’ he shouted as he neared to Daehyun. ‘What’s up?’ Daehyun said curious as to what he was holding in his hand. ‘There’s a party, Dasom noona is throwing it’, he said smiling widely. Daehyun was taken aback. ‘A party? She never told me?’ he said questioningly at Himchan who shrugged. ‘No, it was a last minute thing’, he said hurriedly, then suddenly remembering he passed the piece of paper to Daehyun. ‘Here, it’s the results for last terms exams’, he said before walking off. ‘Ohh I need to see this’, Himchan said as he glanced over Daehyun’s shoulder. Daehyun opened the paper and grinned, ‘Yes, first place again’, he grinned. Himchan laughed, ‘Congrats, let’s celebrate with a drink after this lecture’, he said nodding.

-

Bomi stood up after class finished, as she reached for her backpack she could feel a presence near her, she turned around and saw that it was the new girl, Dasom. ‘Is there something wrong?’ Bomi asked as she sling her backpack over her shoulders, the new girl smiled, ‘This.’ She said her hands holding what looked at what seemed to be an invitation. Bomi took it and stared at it. It was her first time since she was invited to a party in ages, which made her even more suspicious. ‘We’re not even friends, so why the invite? Bomi asked incredulously.

‘Don’t be so rude Bomi’, a girl chipped in from behind. Bomi glared at the girl and she stayed silent. Dasom shrugged airily. ‘You don’t have to come, but I want you to come’, she said watching Bomi’s expressions carefully. Bomi stared at the invite, ‘I’ll think about it’, she muttered as she walked out of the class. She glanced at the invitation once more before shoving it inside her blazer pocket. To go or not to go, that is the question, Bomi thought as she headed towards her house.