Encounter

Oblivious Love

Bomi walked towards her house afterschool, she got out her phone and dialled her father’s number. However he did not pick up. ‘He’s not drinking again is he?’ she said frowning. Bomi sighed as she made a U-turn towards a nearby shop where they sold hangover soup she then headed towards a pharmacy where she bought medicine. She looked down at the bags she was holding and wrinkled her nose. ‘Urgh, my hands are going to fall off’, she whined as she walked out of the pharmacy. As she turned left she noticed a boy with headphones looking down walking towards her way. Bomi narrowed her eyes, ‘Omo, what a good looking boy’, she said biting her lip. She looked at the bags and then at him. ‘Aha’, she said triumphantly as she walked towards him, once he was close enough Bomi purposely tripped on top of him making all the contents inside the plastic bags fall out. Bomi landed perfectly on top of the boy who stared at her in bewilderment. Success! Thought Bomi in a sing song voice as she stood up immediately. ‘Omo! I’m sorry I didn’t see you’, Bomi said reaching out her hand for the boy to hold. The boy looked at her and smiled before laughing and taking her hands. Triple success! Bomi thought with a bright smile. The boy bent down to pick up the medicine and food Bomi dropped and passed it to her. ‘Nice try’, he said winking. Her face immediately fell, ‘huh?’ she said a bit surprised. ‘Be careful next time’, he said as he walked off shaking his head in amusement. Bomi tapped her foot in annoyance, ‘Ah but he’d be a perfect person to hold my stuff’, she muttered as she turned around to go home. She turned around one last time to see the boy’s walking figure. ‘Totally my type’, she said in a satisfied tone before heading back home.

-

Daehyun turned around to see the girl walking away with the bags. ‘They seem a bit heavy, she’ll be fine right?’ he asked himself.

‘Daehyun!’ Himchan shouted as he walked towards him, ‘You’re a bit late’, he remarked.

Daehyun grinned, ‘I bumped into someone ‘accidently’’, Daehyun said shaking his head grinning. Himchan followed Daehyun’s gaze, ‘who?’ he asked questioningly. ‘A total stranger’, he said walking with Himchan, ‘anyways why did you want to see me?’ Daehyun said changing the topic. Himchan grinned, ‘Dasom is moving back to Seoul’. Daehyun turned around in surprise, ‘Chinja?’ he said. Himchan nodded. Daehyun smiled, he couldn’t wait to see his long time childhood friend.

-

‘Dad I’m home!’ Bomi shouted as she entered her house. Immediately a horrible stench of alcohol filled her senses. ‘Aish!’ Bomi muttered as she pushed open her dads bedroom to see him sitting on the floor with 4  bottles already empty. Bomi picked up the bottles and took them to the kitchen where she placed them upon the table with a big sigh. ‘What to do…’, she said quietly as her eyes trailed to the slightly opened door of her father’s room. Bomi only lived with her father, her mum had left them to pursue her acting career leaving both of them to fend for themselves, however Bomi’s dad started drinking and it started to become a habit. On top of that her father rarely spoke to her or even looked at her. He seemed to be stuck in this daze which he could not escape. They couldn’t visit the hospital because of the fees and Bomi had no choice but to look after her father by herself without any help from others. People stayed far away from them.

‘Dad’, Bomi said as she shook her father slightly. He didn’t respond. Like always his eyes were always opened but he never communicated. She noticed her dad’s clothes were dirty. ‘Dad let me at least clean you up’, Bomi said worriedly as she stood up to open her father’s drawer. She turned around and sighed as he closed his eyes to sleep on the floor. ‘Wait a bit longer dad, I have one more year left and I’ll find a way to pay for a hospital treatment’, she whispered as tears rolled down her cheeks.